HOLY TOLEDO!!! What's the biggest calorie shock you've had

Options

Replies

• north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    Boston Pizza Chicken pecan salad.........1400 cals.........shocker!
  • isis2712
    isis2712 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    eating a kfc and realising that it had my full days calorie allowance in it !! shocker
  • JulyHummingbird
    JulyHummingbird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The chicken fried steak with cream gravy I had for breakfast yesterday. I knew it was going to be bad, but was still a shock. My husband ate the poached eggs and hash browns that came with, though.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Goodness, mine might have been just now reading about the Quesadilla Explosion Salad at Chilis - 1400!! My boyfriend had that last week!

Really though the biggest shocker is always fast food pizza. No matter how bad I tell myself it is, when you eat 3 slices and think you're doing a good job... that's a whole day's calories.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Applebees Queso Blanco -- 1350 calories , sadly after a game I used to go there and eat this by myself after 10pm because appetizers were half off. :noway: :sad:

Not to mention the sodium levels even in the under 550 cal meals....
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    wendys salads. 750 calories . 1/2 your daily calories from a salad.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    For me I was never shocked about the fast food places... or restaurants. You hear enough in the news and on TV about how bad that stuff is. My calorie shocks really came from the things you would assume were healthier options. My main offenders were:

1) Muesli (who on earth just eats 1/2 cup for breakfast??)
    2) Bread
    3) Rice
    4) Nuts and dried fruit
    5) Potatoes

Now these are all great foods to eat.... but it's the portions you have to watch!

I also had some suprises. After being on MFP for a while, I found that the following foods were lower in calories (not all low calorie, just loweER) than I expected:

1) Icecream
    2) Diet yoghurt
    3) Oats (as in porridge)
    4) Pumpkin

I also bake a lot and make adjustments to recipes (and serving sizes!) to fit them in to my calorie allowance. Sometimes I catch myself watching other people eat and just being astonished at how little they must know about diet and nutrition to be eating what they do..... but then I can be a bit obsessive ;-)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I got completely hammered by some penne carbonara from the local cafe at lunch the other day - 850 calories at a fairly conservative estimate!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My biggest shocker in the past came from pasta and rice... I had no idea that a normal portion is just a little hand full.

Regarding overindulging and then not knowing whether to have dinner or not... Just exercise it off!! If you've had 400 calories more than you should have, go for a 4 mile run or spend 45mins on a cross trainer or whatever.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Early in my ketogenic diet I made a huge hamburger patty out of 1.25 lbs of ground beef, melted about 4 ounces of cheddar cheese on it, topped it with a pound of bacon and 4 over-easy eggs that were fried in real butter. Mmmm!

I ate about 4/5th of it. Turned out to be a little over 3200 calories for what I ate.

And you were surprised by that??? :huh:
  • backinthenines
    Options
    [...] i believe it was around 250 calories ( dont quote me, the panera website was smart enough to only report 90kcals, and i cant do the conversion...anyone know how many calories that is?)

There is no conversion. 90kcals is 90 calories in everyday speak.

I believe you probably mean "kJs" = kilo joules.

1 kilojoule = 239 calories

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_calories.php
  • fuego84
    fuego84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Three cheese chicken penne from Applebee's comes in at a whopping 1470 calories :noway:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My shock came yesterday when I had an Oreo Blast from Sonic.. 680 calories in a regular one!
    Then my small group from church went out for pizza, cheese bread and pop... needles to say yesterday was a sucky day for diet-land and I am def. starting over today!
  • Sonnut
    Sonnut Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My biggest shocker was when a co-worker brought in Dunkin' Donut donut holes. I had one, enjoyed it, and had maybe two more. Imagine my shock when I went to log it on MFP to see that it was 70 calories for just one! so 210 or 280 calories for a few donut holes? That was almost more than my breakfast and coffee!!! I was MAD! No more donut holes for me!!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Well, mine didn't come on MFP because I previewed the restaurant website before going...and was able to stop myself from getting my "usual" burrito which was nearly 1400 calories with the side of chips! Crazy, I spent some time checking out the website and decided the safest thing I could order before showing up at the restaurant. Now the thing I get there is about 800 calories, but I only eat half for dinner and save the rest for lunch!

I really love how (most?) retaurants in de US have the nutitional info on their meals online. Here in Ireland that's not the case and it's always a bit of a guess and a gamble what to pick from the menu.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    This just goes to show how important it is to eat slow at restaurants... Let your body tell you when you've had too much! Some things are SO calorie dense!! It scares me when a lot of dishes are 1400 calories but usually I can only make it halfway through the meal, thank goodness my body knows.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I was looking for information online when I found that a Steak Taco Salad (from Qdoba or Chipotle, can't remember which) was 1500 cal. I used to have one of those for lunch, and then have dinner, drinks, and snacks later... without working out! OMG. And those people at Qdoba have no idea about portion sizes. If you ask for sour cream or guacamole, they throw this whole gigantic spoonful of it on there. I'll be asking for sour cream & guac. on the side from now on, and staying away from the shell!
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My beloved Denny's Smothered Cheese Fries are 860 calories, and that doesn't include the heaping pile of sour cream I dip them in... :cry:

This will also get your attention in a big way:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/2096739/Americas-20-Worst-Restaurant-Meals
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Pizza Hut Pizza. We went to the lunch buffet on Sat. and I skipped the salad that I normally eat. Had only 2 slices of pizza and 1 1/2 of the cherry dessert pizza. The calories were 842. They were thin crusts and didn't even taste that good for the number of calories! ha I'm new to mfp and new to really counting calories. It really makes you watch and pick and choose what you eat. I remember just having such a sad feeling after putting the pizza in and seeing the calories. I think I had an egg that night as I was close to my allowance.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Another thing was rice. I made some jasmine rice to go with the chicken and broccoli. I've really been watching the serving sizes now just to get ideas of what everything is. The serving size was 1/4c. I would certainly eat more than that normally! :)

Another thing was looking on the back of store bought cookies. Some say 150 calories for 2 little cookies. That's enough to keep it on the shelf! ha