Starting Couch to 5k - want to join??

Options

Replies

• Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    W6D2 down... and I started Insanity this week. Hope I can keep my energy levels up.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Remedial W5D2 today. I felt pretty good and definitely had a goal today, I had to beat the rain...lol. With the loop I run I always seem to have the wind in my face while I'm running UP hill. :)
    Keep on keepin' on!
  • a_fit_me
    a_fit_me Posts: 103
    Options
    W6D2 Completed. :smile:
  • Panda_Jack
    Options
    W6 D3 kind of completed. I started Insanity this week too and I think that really wore me out. I had pure cardio this morning and then tried to do the 25 minute run and while my legs weren't tired it was tough for me to catch my breath. I ended up running the first 18 minutes and then doing 2/2 intervals to finish it off. We'll see how I feel next week, I may need to do a repeat.
  • a_fit_me
    Options
    W6D3 Completed. My legs felt tight towards the end, but I pushed through.
  • Bubs05
    Options
    W5D3 done...and then some. Woo Hoo!!!
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Started week 8 yesterday and this is the first week I've found really tough to finish. I was fine for 25 minutes but the last 3 were a real struggle. I blame it on the fact I travelled to Birmingham on Saturday so had an 8 hour round trip so was a bit tired :happy:

I'm hoping that tomorrows run is a bit easier.

I also used my DP's bike sat nav thing to get the exact distance and I ran 2.7 miles in the 28 minutes so not only am I not getting to 5K I've got to quicken my pace a bit if I want to do my 5k in less than 30mins :sad:
  • rooboi85
    rooboi85 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm on W5 Day 1 - Thought it was going to kill me very daunting but I did it just by slowing my speed and some determination "you are not a quitter like the old you!" Repeat as required lol

Dreading Day 2 - 8mins!!!!

This is the first time in my life I have ever attempted any kind of running!! - I am amazed at the quick progress just daunted by the longer and longer times approching so quickly these days!!

Maybe I will do a few retakes of todays - it really wore me out!
  • Eviesmum
    Options
    Hi there Rooboi85.

Well done. Week 5 is the one where it all goes a bit mad isn't it? 5 mins, 8 mins 20 mins? but you can do it. Determination is key to the last run and if necessary slow you pace down even more to finish it. Also remember to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.

You'll be fine with your 8 minute run.
  • Panda_Jack
    Options
    Started week 8 yesterday and this is the first week I've found really tough to finish. I was fine for 25 minutes but the last 3 were a real struggle. I blame it on the fact I travelled to Birmingham on Saturday so had an 8 hour round trip so was a bit tired :happy:

I'm hoping that tomorrows run is a bit easier.

I also used my DP's bike sat nav thing to get the exact distance and I ran 2.7 miles in the 28 minutes so not only am I not getting to 5K I've got to quicken my pace a bit if I want to do my 5k in less than 30mins :sad:

I'd concentrate more on the time and distance than the speed at this point. If you can run the 28 minutes (and later 30 minutes) straight, then you are definitely on the right path. The speed would be easier to kick up after you can finish the distance first. Did that make sense lol?
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was feeling really guilty because I was going participate in the C25K... and I did do up to week 3... but I decided to just go for it... so Saturday walked 5.75 miles with my sister and we jogged the last half mile... and I felt great!!!!

Sunday, I went to a trail... and ran almost half of the 5.71 miles!!!! wooo hooooo, so my point... push yourself... you'll be surprised how far you can go...

L
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was feeling really guilty because I was going participate in the C25K... and I did do up to week 3... but I decided to just go for it... so Saturday walked 5.75 miles with my sister and we jogged the last half mile... and I felt great!!!!

Sunday, I went to a trail... and ran almost half of the 5.71 miles!!!! wooo hooooo, so my point... push yourself... you'll be surprised how far you can go...

L
  • Eviesmum
    Options

PANDA JACK

I'd concentrate more on the time and distance than the speed at this point. If you can run the 28 minutes (and later 30 minutes) straight, then you are definitely on the right path. The speed would be easier to kick up after you can finish the distance first. Did that make sense lol?

Yep - makes sense kind of :laugh: - get used to running the time and distance and the pace can be quickened once I'm used to running for that long? I know exactly what you mean. :drinker:

How's yours going? Aren't you at week 7 now?
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Bleh. I'm going to re-do week 6. I only did days 1 and 2 of it last week. I didn't have too much trouble with it, I just didn't feel ready for day 3. Although now I feel like a giant failure for having to repeat a week.
  • Eviesmum
    Options
    Sabrina,

Don't beat yourself up about it, its a very daunting run :-) You'll be fine, its best to tackle it when you feel ready than run, not manage to finish it and feel bad about not finishing it.

Did week 8 day 2 today and thankfully it was alot easier than the other day - got a teeny bit of stitch about a minute or so from the end, but had enough to do a sprint for the last 60 seconds.

I'm still shocked I can actually do this.
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Gah - I'd love to join, but unfortunately, I've just had to quit roller derby due to a ruined Achilles and walking is about as much as I can handle right now.

Good luck to everyone doing this!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Eviesmum. I re-did day 1 of week 6 last night and it was a bit of a struggle. I'm not sure what's going on with me right now.
  • a_fit_me
    Options
    Completed W7D1 that 25min felt so long. When she said I had 1min left I felt so good that I sprinted the last min. :smile: I was so happy it was almost over.
  • Bubs05
    Options
    W6D1 last night...struggled with it big time. I usually run on Mondays but my Monday runs were always a struggle which I thought was maybe due to just the 'Monday Blues'. Apparently I have the 'Tuesday Blues' as well.
  • rooboi85
    rooboi85 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey all - W5D1 - OMG I did it!!! - Usually all my runs are completed cross country but today was all falt round the area I work.

I thought I was going to pass out - but I did it!!

Its really true you do feel worse before you get better!

W5d2 2 x 8 mins - I did the next day as was on a determination high!! It was easy! - well not super easy but no craps - I used to get craps after 30secs of running.

Tomorrow is my w5D3 - 20mins!!!!!! Yes ahem - my plan of action of this one will be do the same shorter run route twice it starts of down hill then comes back up a slight climb for 3/4km that way I hope I can take advantage of some down hill time in the 2nd half of the time.

Wish my luck guys!!

On a side note - I fell of the wagon two days this week with the hot cross buns at work! - Was doing so well - dropped 1kg last week!

the two days I've eaten my 1290cal allowence plus my exercise ones - though I still below on my inbuilt deficet so not too bad.

Aiming to keep my exercise calories so i cna work on a 1kg a week.

Keep the faith guys!!