WOMEN AGES 50+ for April

Options

Replies

• mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Barbie, I’m glad you’re home safely. Dorothy was right, there’s no place like home. :heart: Waah about the weight gain. I figure gain a little, lose a little is part of the process. You’ll be back in the groove in no time. (It sounds as though you’re already there!) My problem is, I go out of town far too often. I don’t go far but the dynamic and the weight gain are predictable.

Viv, I’m so sorry your dog bit you. I hope your arm feels better soon.

My daughter kept her dog (half lab, half southern bull dog, and pretty big) even though her behavior was sketchy when she was younger. Now she’s a wonderful dog. I know someone else who kept a dog even after it bit more than one person…the last one a little boy who made the mistake of putting his face close to her. (They were watching the dog but this happened in a flash.) In this case, I would have put the dog down.

It’s such a hard decision. From your past posts, I know you are a caring and responsible dog owner. You have my best wishes whatever you choose.

I cringed a little after wishing you all nice weather then reading about the terrible storms so many of you have been through. :noway: Dang it. We ARE due for some better weather. I can’t complain too much as all we’re getting is a little drizzle. Still, I like the sunshine.

I'm working on our family cookbook, something I've put off for more than a year. I finished the first draft (almost 300 pages with lots of family pictures) in time for Christmas 2009 (!) and got a couple of copies run off, before the file imploded and all the links to the pictures disappeared.

I tried this software and that software. One was InDesign, which would have been perfect for the job, but I didn't want to recreate the book from scratch. Besides, I'm way too rusty to learn such a complex new product without someone available to call for help. I finally got disgusted and put the cookbook on the shelf.

Now I'm back to MS Word with separate files for each chapter. (I'm not using a master and sub-documents...I read that Word master documents are either corrupt or going to be corrupt. I can vouch for the truth of that!) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this approach will work.

The hardest part about the project is the sitting, sitting, sitting. I'm looking forward to the finished product, although I'm never going to live down my reputation in the family as the biggest procrastinator ever. :tongue:

:happy:
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Just a quick note to say hello, Happy Sunday to all... the sun is shining in AZ, it's going to be 98, so i got up early (8:00 AM) to ride my bike around... then came back and enjoyed my 17 day diet breakfast .. 2 eggs and soem fruit with the green tea!!
    Drinking my water, yum, and proceeding on with my day.
    We are going to play canasta tonight, and go out for chinese before, buffet, which for me will be good, because I can choose just veggies and chicken.... will work out fine.
    have a good day
    natalie
  • zuback55
    zuback55 Posts: 17
    Options
    Good Morning from Canada everyone.....I thought our weather was bad but sounds like some of you are having weather problems also. It is supposed to be SPRING:flowerforyou: . Last week Wed. we had heavy wet snow...about 7 inches and then we have had another 7 inches since Friday evening, again the wet heavy stuff. Our ground in this area of the prairies is saturated and we are all farmland pretty much in this area. The crops should be planted no later than the end of this month...but don't see that happening. I really am feeling for all the farmers and the ranchers trying to calve. I have been doing a bit of walking in between snows and doing a bit of strength training indoors....just having problems with quantities for supper. I have lost a few pounds and then gain them back...I have pretty much cut out snacks after supper and even with the walking am still struggling.....I am doing better this week and have started volunteering at a Senior's Lodge a couple of days a week and that has really helped. Well, ladies and gents, I hope you all stay focused and lose, lose, lose those pounds this week....Cheers for now!:drinker:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Today is beautiful and clear here today; cool as well, which is a pleasant change.. We had to close up the house a couple days ago as the humidity has started in around here. That is what I dislike the most about our area the extreme humidity in the summer months. It was amazing to me just how humid it was when we first moved here from Illinois. You can get soaked to the undies just a few minutes after going outside when it is at it's worst. Oh well, every area has it's downfalls I suppose.

Yesterday I got most of the gardening I wanted to get done before we got a bit of rain. We were on the tail end of the storms that plagued the east coast yesterday. We mostly go the wind but a little bit of the rain.

In the evening I went to the theater with a few friends. That is always so much fun! We have season tickets to Alhambra dinner theater in Jacksonville. It's one of the few dinner theaters left in the US. Had a wonderful time but had no idea how to enter my dinner. I didn't even try.

As to Easter - the family that is close enough to come will be at our house - son, grandkids, GGS, ex-daugher-in law and her hubby and their kid and the dog too! :laugh: There are other as well - we're an eclectic group! It starts with breakfast rolls shaped like a nest of eggs. Then for dinner I will be smoking a couple pork butts and making pulled pork. Also having homemade crescent rolls, broccoli casserole, pasta salad with lots of veggies, corn, mashed potatoes and I'm making a rhubard custard pie for our son and GD as it is their favorite dessert. Strawberry and cream type dessert and a homemade pound cake is being brought by grandkid's mother. I will be sending ALL dessert leftovers home with someone!

Gotta go feed and water my garden.

Faye
  • Ldspill
    Ldspill Posts: 49
    Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone!

Like I said before, miss a couple of days and you have to read a small novel just to catch up. Just so much going on.

Yesterday was grueling for me. Our home owners assoc. had a work day and my butt is still dragging. I bruned a hillside that only a goat should stand on. I'd prop one foot against a tree and try to reach out as far as possible to clip branches. About 2 hours into it my hands and shoulders had just about given up but my ego wouldn't let me quit. Those youngsters got nothin on me...but I'll bet they can walk today. After bruning I was volunteered to carry bags full of fountain grass down to the lakeside which is 30 steps (stairs) from the platform where the grass was. Did I mention I was on a hillside that was 123 stairs (we don't have elevators here) down to the platform where the grass was? I think you're getting the picture. I took the grass down the stairs and dug the holes for 15 plants. At this point I was wondering how I was going to get back up the stairs to my house. I was exhausted. I worked from 9am to 6pm and when I entered my "Gardening" it registered 3005 calories. OMG, I feel better now. This morning though, I'm not sure how I feel and I have been asked to come help move some rocks (bowling balls) so we can build a small retaining wall.....I made it down the stairs but my husband had to HOIST me back up. I heard someone say, "Boy, you worked your *kitten* off today".....I wish it worked that way. I think even my eyelashes hurt.

The weather sure is screwy! Yesterday while working it was 48 degrees and today it's 73. Time for us all to move to Arizona.....Here we come Natalie!

Barbie..... welcome home. The Northern/West coast is where I grew up so I am very envious of your trip. Just for the record, thanks for your leadership here at 50+.

Viv.....Sorry about the mishap with your dog. I believe they know when something is wrong and I don't know if they feel sorry but is sure shows in their mannerisms.

Mimi.....A Family Cookbook is a huge challenge but I've known several families who have done it and they are very glad they did. The preservation of "Grandma's Special recipes" is reason enough to do it. My daughters and I are talking about doing one.

Lindaj07.....I laughed when you mentioned the Wizard of Oz regarding Mary. She lives not too far from me and although we didn't have those gale force winds she did, I watched my neighbors Bar-B-Q fly off their third story deck. Pretty scary.

I guess if I plan on being able to move at all tomorrow, or even tonight, I'd better go soak in a hot tub for a while. Hope the rest of the day is a joy for all.

Lynda
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! It is a beautiful day here and I spent all morning in my garden and am finally seeing it look like my garden and less like a bunch of weeds. I have 4 quarters in my fenced garden area and have been focusing on one quarter at a time. I now only have one quarter that is still a bit of a mess. My asparagus are tied up neatly and I planted pepper plants today.

Viv: I am SO sorry about your dog bite. I am sure you will figure out the best way to handle the situation. Hope your arm is better!

Mimi: Well, you will be glad to know that I started a family cookbook about 10 years ago and still do not have it finished!!! So...you are way ahead of me! I need to think about getting it all out again...groan:noway: It's such a nice idea!

Faye: You are right about the weather today...and the humidity that is sure to come soon! I LOVE these kind of days. I am about 3 hours from your area, so we have similar climates. The only good thing that I have found that's good about the humidity is it's good for aging skin!

Barbie: I am sorry that you saw a weight gain, but it makes me feel a tiny bit better. At least you nipped it in the bud quickly and didn't let it go. That's the way to do it!

Zuback: I hope you see the scales move. Never, ever give up!

I am writing instead of snacking, hoping the mood will pass. It works sometimes. Think that I'll make some hot tea...
    Have a good evening, Dear Ladies! Kackie:heart:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbie, glad to see you got home safe! That door pass ad sounds absolutely irresistable! Well done!
    Viv, so sorry to hear about your accident with your dog! It's a hard one to deal with, isn't it? Hope he settles down...
    Mary, glad to hear the wind has dropped! I was beginning to be reminded of Dorothy in Wizard of Oz! We haven't had
    very strong winds over here... Is it a seasonal thing where you are?

Seasonal? Yes, it can happen in winter, spring, summer or fall! It is always somewhat windy here. The wind has to get up to 25 or 30 mph before we consider it a windy day. I have been lucky to never lose my home in a tornado, but have many friends and relatives who have. Tornados are seasonal, usually March through September. Many of you may have heard of the community of Greensburg, which was decimated by a tornado a few years ago. They did a Discovery TV series about their rebuilding. That is about a half hour drive from me. Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Just click the heels of your red slippers 3 times then you'll be home, Dorothy!!
    I had a lazy day, exercise-wise and was watching what I ate more than usual! Now, I'm wondering if I've eaten enough...:noway:
    I can always find something to worry about!
    Mary I had another slice of your delicious Mexican Quiche today! Lip-licking good! Managed to keep to just one portion this time as the rest is in the freezer!:flowerforyou: :happy:
    Good night all, have a great day!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie and not sure how to use all the tools on this site yet but determined to learn! Thanks for having a place for us older girls!

I'm 58 and diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes - never took it seriously until last week when my doctor really scared me. So for the past week I've been taking my blood sugar levels daily and they don't look good. Can't figure it out - I don't feel bad. Am going for diabetic/dietary counseling in 2 weeks but thought I would start here.

Wish me luck?

I am also Type2 diabetic. I saw a dietitian and it was extremely helpful not only for the diabetes but for weight loss. Not managing your diabetes can have dramatic and tragic effects. Hope that everything works out for you
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    What turned into a crazy morning turned into a lovely afternoon. This morning when I said I was going to Lowes (NOT) car battery was dead, had left kids dvd player on and killed batter. After putting on charger and letting it charge for over an hour with no luck I realized I had the things on wrong place. by this time I had contacted Heather and I went to town with them. After spending 45 min in mcdonalds drive thru to get them breakfast we got to lowes and they had nothing I needed. Nothing at all. so got home, called kenneth and asked him to stop at the other Lowes on his way home from work which he did. They had everything. So when he got home we got some lunch and then while he rested I finished floors and some of tile moulding in bath. floors all done. need a few more tiles for floor moulding. It looks really good I think. then it was time to start barbecue and kids started arriving. we had a great afternoon with kids playing, eating, talking, just enjoying the great weather. they were dissappointed cause too cold to swim but we did let them play in sprinkler for a while. they were freezing and too crazy not to get wet. now we are headed to kens shop cause he got a call. going ride with him cause he is tired and dont really want him going alone. will post later. I did eat a cupcake which was not even that good but oh well. I am sure I will regret it for weigh in tomorrow. have agood day.
    vicki M
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    I updated my ticker - the wrong way. I have to start being honest with myself. I have to stop over eating and lying on the couch watching TV. I am so depressed by the weather. I am starting fresh this morning. I am go ing to try to follow slim fast for 1 week - to see if that can bgive me a jump.
    wish me luck
    susan
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies
    Just got caught up on all of the posts since Friday night.I didn't take notes( WHAT was I thinking? I can't remember anything ) :noway:
    Anyway...Friday afternoon it started to rain but that quickly turned to snow :sad: I get off work at 10:30 and by then the travel was tretcherous!!! It took me about an hour longer to get home and it usually takes an hour and a half. It should be spring!!!
    the snow has melted now but the weather people are saying that we should see snow again a couple of days this week. I am SO envious of anyone who is planting. I haven't even been able to get the tiller out let alone plant anything.
    I am doing fairly well weight wise but I am not losing every week. I have slowed down to maybe every other week so I am disappointed but plugging away. I still have at least 20 pounds to go and it seems almost as daunting as in the beginning. Maybe it is just because I am cold and tired of being stuck indoors. I am really itching to get out and enjoy the warmer weather.
    I have gone over my calories for the last couple of days but I am feeling good about my choices. 4 or more servings of fruit and veggies, a couple of servings of yogurt. Yesterdays veggie pizza was a bit much but all in all I only went over by 45 calories.

Viv - sorry to hear about the dog bite. It is distressing even if you do understand that he was startled.

Everyone else - I wish you a very lovely day and as this is the beginning of the week leading into Easter I am sending an extra hug and prayers to help you through.

Peggy
  • lindaj07
    Options
    Lynda! Sorry, I somehow missed your post yesterday! I hope your neighbour's bbq is back in one piece! I also hope that you have done with all the heavy exercise! You CAN have too much of a good thing, can't you?
    Susan good luck with slim fast! Anything is worth a try isn't it? Hope it works for you!
    Vicki you sound like you had a very productive day, finally?
    I just finished work and will be out for my daily walk (just 3.5 miles, as well as the 0.8 I do to and from work! Every little bit counts!
    Have a great day all!
  • Ldspill
    Ldspill Posts: 49
    Options
    Good Morning everyone, what a gorgeous Monday we are having here in Missouri.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't lose the 4 pounds I was shooting for but I'm thrilled to death with the 3 I did achieve. Weight loss has always been very difficult for me and even harder having passed that 50th B-day several, several years ago. I just keep trying new ideas and eventually one will work and I'll never change again. I keep waiting for my fairy Godmother to appear and make me thin with the way of her wand. I think she must have used up her magic on that Cinderella chic. If I had a bunch of singing and sewing mice, I'd be that cute and happy too. Oh, sorry.......flashbacks, my parents were hippies.

On a very possitive note, after all that work I did this weekend and the scale didn't move passed my 3 pounds, I've decided the work was strength training and we all know that building muscle can cause weight gain. Hey, you have your fantasy and I'll have mine. Geeze, I sure hope there are no English teachers reading this, that was one heck-of-a run on sentence.

Susan.....Good Luck with the Slim Fast. That's one I haven't tried yet.

Peggy.....Thanks for all the prayers, maybe if we all send them right back at cha we can clear up your weather. Couldn't hurt!

Wishing you all success with whatever you do.

Lynda
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Good morning my friends! How are you today? What are your plans? I'm at work right now, and when I get off, I plan to hit the swimming pool. First I think that I will throw together a pork chop casserole and put it in the oven, so that when I get home, dinner will be waiting for me. Then I have a big to do list around the house for the rest of the night (actually the rest of the week). Hope you are all keeping your heads above water this week! Have a good Monday!
  • zuback55
    zuback55 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks Kackie for the encouragement....I did weigh on Sunday and had lost 2 lbs....my weigh in day is Thursdays. I was on Skype with my sisters and they had asked if I had lost any weight...so I thought I would weigh and tell them the truth...I was pleasantly surprised. I hope to see it stick by Thursday. I did treat myself to a Sunday night snack of Smart Popcorn (but I did put a little butter on it)...Good Luck to everyone this week. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • cucoyannie
    Options
    Hi all I am sort of like in a plateau so hope this week will be better
    I really need to get excercise in since i am in a 1200 cal diet. need to lose 80lbs. get lazy with excercise. lets see whta happens....
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    OK, starting day 4 of cycle 1, of the 17 day diet... i have not weighed myself, but feel GOOD. I know I have lost some, but we shall see on Friday what I have lost.
    I had 2 eggs, made into egg salad, and some cantaloupe for breakfast with the tea (yuk), lunch will be a big salad, no time for the tea today at lunch, maybe drink it later at home. Drinking lots of water... chug chug, pee pee, you know the routine.
    I did upper body with weights today, got to hot outside for me to ride the bike, so I will do the routine I do with the 5 lb weights 3x today.
    have a good day...
    Natalie
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies

Back from another day of caos,(work). feeling a little truer to myself, my body is getting better at standing for the eight hours, and the eleven hours cause a little soreness but I can handle it better. May be by the end of the month I will be able to stay in the gym. I don't like being too tired before I get there. Does me no good anyway.

Sister made up a liver dinner today with mixed vegetables and baked potato. Loads of nutrients there but more than what I needed to eat. Well not going to hurt her feelings, just ate and shut up about it.I hear the tea pot being made, that's really nice!

Hope all is well here, and again soon I will catch up, anyone wishing to haller at me just send a e mail, I'll respond gladly.

Take care all, best hopes for the new day tomorrow.

Marilyn
  • lindaj07
    Options
    Lynda, a very BIG congrats!!!! for your 3lb weight loss! Brilliant result for you!