Dropping pounds with inspiring pals [CLOSED GROUP]

Options
This is a closed group. Sorry we already have our members and we are not taking any new members.

Invites sent for:
Melroxsox
mamabear0222
jaelwoman
TNAJackson
rebecky27
sarahnicolexoxo
itsbigjoesgal
mds2372
ChubbieTubbie
tamanella
SassyMissDasha
naesue
mrssavvysteve
cobarlo14
chrystal559
tesshaney
sarahbear1981
Laurathabomb
PirateJenny
pinstripepirate
Claudia007
Learning2LoveMe
NeuroticVirgo

*everyone please try to check in at least once a week, and give us a head up on any vacations so we know your not MIA. lol I know it seems like a lot of members, but I'm sure once we all get to know each other everything will flow pretty good. :)

:flowerforyou: DAILY TOPICS :flowerforyou:

These are topics for each day for fun, something to keep everyone checking in and connected with each other. Feel free to post about anything at any time though. No need to wait for a specific day. :smile:

:heart: Sunday - Goals (Let’s get the week off with a good start. What are your goals for this week? )

:heart: Monday - Check-in (Let us know how you’re doing. Are you struggling? Staying on track? Good time to post your weigh-in as well)

:heart: Tuesday – Food & Recipes (Since dropping the weight seems to be 80% about diet, lets share with each other our favorite snack or meal of the week. Found an awesome food at the store, want to share a recipe you really like? Lets here it)

:heart: Wednesday - Whining (Let it all out. Grip about anything you want, diet, exercise, mother-in-laws etc )

:heart: Thursday – Inspiration, Motivation & Encouragement (What is something that helps keep you motivated? Did you experience anything lately that inspired you? Do we have any members that look like could especially use some encouragement?)

:heart: Friday - Fitness (What is your current workout routine? Are you missing anything? Have any suggestions for others? )

:heart: Saturday – Non Scale Victory Day (What’s a personal achievement that you want to share. Brag it up folks!! Looser jeans? More energy? )

Since we are just starting out, why doesn't everyone post a little something about themselves. suggestions: first name, age, how much your trying to lose, why your on MFP...and anything else you'd like to share with the group. :)

Don't be afraid to add friends, so we can keep an eye on each other I__m_watching_you_by_talco92_by_The_Emoticon_Club.gif

Replies

• Drealicious
    Options
    can i join?
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    So I suppose I'll start.

My "real" name is Christina. I'm 25 (birthdays in Sept). I'm married w/ 1 child (step-daughter). I run my own wedding photography and photo booth company with my husband. It was supposed to be a part-time/side job for extra money, but takes up a lot of my time. But I do like it, I just have to get everything in my life balanced out.

I currently have 100lbs left to go. I'm a bit on the crazy side. I get pretty OCD about things sometimes, and I'm pretty critical on myself...and my loved ones (poor them...really). I started on MFP in sept of 2010 after having my gallbladder removed. It wasn't weight related, had 1 stone...seriously 1 stone, but it kept making me have attacks, and it was small so the doc said there was a chance of it getting worse if it tried to pass, possibly get stuck etc. I had never had any kind of surgery before, and I think this kind of struck a nerve, and the fact that I wasn't hungry for like 2 weeks of recovery helped a lot getting me started. Since then its been very up and down for me. Emotional and stress eating is really hard for me to control, and it usually sends me into a not so great cycle. But having so many people for support on MFP has really helped me, so I plan on being here a while (even if I do go MIA every once in a while).

And since its still technically Thursday 11pm - I like little jokes & cartoons for inspiration. They tend to cheer me up and it makes me feel better, and helps me make better choices (sometimes). This one I found is pretty funny.

weightloss.jpg
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My name is Tami and I'm 40 years old. I started MFP in January at 327lbs and my goal weight is 140lbs, so I have 182lbs to lose. I've currently lost 4lbs. I had however lost 14lbs and then I went MIA for a month and gained back 10lbs. But I'm back and ready to take this on! I am on MFP because I love all the features that make this process a little bit easier and it's FREE! Plus I LOVE the people here!! I feel so uplifted and encouraged here! I am a food addict, which I came to this realization almost 2 years ago and when I did, I ate more, about 100lbs more. Plus I suffer with depression and I became very sedentary, which did not help the eating, so I gained. I have Polycystic Kidney Disease, hypertension, borderline diabetic, and now they think I have sleep apnea. Plus I have chronic pain because my back and hips hurt so bad from all the weight. So I am so ready to kick this in the shins and get off this weight!! I want to live a healthy, long life with my family!
  • chrystal559
    chrystal559 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Chrystal and I am 22. I live in Fresno, Ca and have lived here all my life. I am maried... 3 year now. I started gaining weight when I was in 4th grade. I had a really f*ucked up childhood. To explain real quick, I was molested in 4th grade, Raped in 7th grade, and taken advantage of my freshman in high school.I just wanted to hide from everyone and food became that tool. In 10th grade I dropped down to 180 but had issues with self mutilation and when I had to stop that I started to eat. At my heaviest I was 325lbs.
    I don't have any kids but I have 3 cats and a puppy. My puppy loves to exercise with me. we go for walk, jogs, and running up hills.

I started MFP in Febuary at 310 lbs. Right now I am at 298.4 and I am so happy about that. My goal wright is 150. I don't want to be really skin just healthy and happy with myself. I love this site. I have met some amazing woman and they have helped me keep incouraged and really motivated.

Thursday:
    I resently took a picture of myself and realized that I have lost weight in my face. It is so exciting to see the progress. That has motivated me to work harder.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It's a closed group but I take it everyone/anyone can see our posts right?
    Im here but it's the Easter long weekend so I'll likely be away until Monday
    I'll be updating my food/excerise diary but probably not on the forums much ..
    thanks for the invite!!!
  • tamanella
    Options
    Friday: I've discovered over this past week that any movement is good for you. I've been really sedentary for the last few years and especially bad the last couple or so where I barely got out of my recliner mainly due to depression. Because of that I've put on a lot of weight causing my back and hips to really hurt whenever I try to do anything for an extended period of time. My doctor recently put me on a pain patch that has made a world of difference for me and I've been able to get up and get moving a lot. So I decided to start excercising 30 minutes, 5 days a week. Well, in the meantime I've been spring cleaning because I'm feeling better. Well, between the two, I overdid it...lol. So the doctor said no more exercise for a few days while I let the inflammation go down. I was having a hard time doing this because now after getting up and moving more, I have more energy and I just want to get up and do something. So I decided to keep up the spring cleaning and you know what? I feel great!! Both because I'm getting the exercise in (cause believe me I'm working up a sweat just cleaning) and because I feel better about myself because my house is cleaner and more presentable and that makes me feel good about ME! So, for right now my exercise is spring cleaning! I'm hoping to get back to my 30 minute aerobics in a couple of weeks when my body is more ready to handle that too, but for right now, as long as I'm breaking a sweat cleaning, then I'm doing ok!
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! My name is Teresa and I am 23 years old. I have been overweight my entire life. Never really thought much about how I got to the point I was at or what I put into my body until September when I joined MFP. My starting weight was 285 pounds. In the past six months, I have lost 85 pounds from exercising, eating healthy, and staying under my calorie goal. My goal weight is 140 so I have another 60 pounds to lose.

I am currently finishing up my Masters in Teaching. I graduate on May 12th and I'm applying for elementary school teaching positions for the area that I live in... but the market for teachers is really bad right now. In the meantime, I work part-time in a preschool classroom (of 2 1/2 to 3 year olds!) and babysit about 14 hours a week. I am single, I have no children, and I live at home with my parents and oldest brother (other brother is married and moved out). I have two dogs and two gerbils. In my free time, which I haven't had much of because of school, I enjoy reading, artsy things, and shopping. My favorite color is green. Uh... I guess you'll learn more about me as time goes on. Haha.

Friday Fitness:

I ordered two yoga DVDs off of amazon last week and they came yesterday. The one is yogaworks for beginners, and I had been doing it on OnDemand for free but I wanted to be able to do the 10 minute long AM "wakeup" and PM "relax and restore" workouts in my room as soon as I wake up and before bed. So I bought the dvd and I did those short programs last night/this morning. So far, so good. I have zero strength and so I really want to make a committment to doing yoga more often to build up some muscle since I'm such a weakling. I haven't tried the other DVD yet.

My other main form of fitness is walking my dogs outside along the canal. The only problem with doing that is I am at the mercy of the weather. Can't go a lot in the winter if it's snowed, don't go in the rain, and it can get too hot/humid to go some days in the summer. I'm going to try to squeeze a walk in before it starts raining today.

Happy Friday everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Nice to "meet" you Chrystal, Tami, and Christina! Hope you have a fantastic holiday weekend MamaBear!

My name is Becky, I'm 37 years old. Married and have three kids. I've struggled with my weight ever since about 4th grade. Had a medical procedure done (something with my bladder) that has been known to cause weight gain. I did get down to a great weight for me (155) in college, but after meeting my husband at 21, and becoming leagal, the weight started to pile back on with the late nights of drinking and fried foods. I climbed to my heaviest weight ever in November, and decided to do something about it.
    I started taking Zumba classes, and fell in love! November - January, I lost a few pounds, but really hadn't changed any of my eating habits. That's when I found MFP! What an eye-opener!!

Friday Fitness: Like I mentioned above, I take Zumba classes. They are offered Tuesday and Thursdays right at my workplace (I had a little bit to do to get that ball rolling! lol) I also go to at least one-two other classes in my community. I really enjoy the Zumba toning class, and am going to try to start going to that class on Mondays. With my daughter's Lacrosse schedule, and my oldest son's tennis schedule, it's hard to fit it in! I've made two attempts at Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, but aroud day 5, I start getting shin spints. Not sure what I am doing wrong....

Thank you Christina, for starting this group! :smile: :bigsmile: :happy:

Edited to add: "Hi Teresa! You must have been posting the same time I was typing...didn't see you sneak in!" :flowerforyou:
  • jaelwoman
    jaelwoman Posts: 81
    Options
    Hey everyone!! My real name is Sue and I'm so glad to be here! I'm 45, married for the 2nd time with 5 kids, 1 is a step son, but he's mine in every sense of the word! I was hanging around 250 for the longest time and within 3-4 months added 30 pounds to that. When I saw 280 on the scale I panicked and found this place. I love how easy it is and I'm determined to make it to a healthier me!!

Friday: So, you'd think after 45 years of life and the fact that I'm a Registered Nurse I would "get it" but it just hit me like a ton of bricks that excersie really is the key to losing weight. Sure, sure you can just diet your way down, but really it's not the way to go. I tried running on the treadmill and didn't love it, but I did it because it was excercise. I just (as in 2 days ago) started swimming and I'm in LOVE. Sore, all over sore, but I love it! I can't imagine a better fit for me and I'm determined not to give up!

I look forward to gettng to know you all!
    xoxo
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jennifer. I have 5 kids--three biologically, one step and and one adotped. I've always been overweight, but I didn't start geting out of control until I was 15. Looking back, I wasn't really fat as a kid, although my Mom told me I was when I was around 9. I was muscular, mostly because I was a competitive dancer, my legs were big and I was big-chested. When I was 15, I quit dancing and then over the next two years, I gained 50 pounds, which can be expected when I cut out 4-5 hours per week of exercise and got the freedom to drive to McDonalds when I wasn't in the mood for what my Mom was cooking. When I started college, I lost about 60 pounds. Looking back, I was very depressed and I was hardly eating--both because of the depression and because of a starving student's budget. I gained 40 pounds when pregnant with #1, then another 30 since (she's 8), and I started my MFP journey at 278. I want to get under 200, closer to 160. I also want to have another baby, and my weight has made my cycles really crazy, so I need to get that fixed.

Friday Fitness...I used to exercise by riding my bike, but it was stolen in November and I haven't bought a new one yet. I have a gym membership that gets used randomly, although I am endevoring to go more often now. When there, I do 10 minutes on the elliptical, 20 on the treadmill, 10 on the bike. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I used to be a lot worse at it! I am also doing C25K, I'm about to start week 2. Hopefully I'll be getting a new bike for Mothers Day, I've been hinting at it, I used to ride for 20-30 minutes every day. And I am hoping to start back in Zumba classes soon. I had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago and I haven't felt like doing much of anything except drowning myself in ice cream, so I'm really struggling to get back in the swing of things.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's completly inspiring and motivational to hear some of your stories, also makes me feel like I am not alone in this long journey.

Teresa - 85lbs in 6 months is AMAZING!! What great work you have done!

My name is Elly, I am going to be 32 this year. I have an amazing husband, who I love and cherish to the worlds end. We do not have any children at this time, but we have been TTC for 4 years. I met my husband online in 2003, and we had our first date in 2004, and married in 2007. We have 3 fur babies, Narah (127lb rott/shep/chow), Mack (85lb Rott/Chow) and Ozzie (11lb Snorkie). I work as an Administrative Manager for the Service Department at a Photogenic Lighting Company (the big lights that shine down on your when you get your picture taken).

I was not always a BIG girl, but was chubby. My weight really started hitting me when my grandmother died my sophmore year in highschool and everything spiraled down from there. I had alot of yo-yo diets and exercise plans in place through out my young adult hood, and @ one time lost 65lbs right before I met my husband. I hate to blame our relationship on the weight gain, but we both put on a lot of weight over the next 6 or so years and before we knew it I was 297lbs and he was 360lbs. I was diagnosed with PCOS in September of 2008, and I finally thought I had an answer to a lot of questions. My hubby and I saw MANY doctors about fetility and went through three rounds of Clomid with all fails. In 2010 we decided it was time we did something about our weight, so we started slow counting calories, and joined the gym. I signed up for a Personal Trainer and stuck with that faithfully for 4 months. From Feb-2010 to April 2010 I lost 21lbs, and from April-2010 to July-2010 with a trainer I had only lost more lbs, come July I gained 9lbs back, switched trainers and by the end of September I had lost those 9lbs. I started losing motivation and committment because I was not losing weight. During this same time frame my husband lost 90lbs (total to date 110lbs) and my mother lost 50lbs and we were all doing the same thing, only I was using a trainer!! I was so upset and lost a lot of what I was doing. In November of 2010 I cancelled my training and switched gyms (which I only went to I think may 6 times) and I began eating again! Finally, saw a Doctor regarding my thyroid and find out I had hypothyroidism!!!! and she immediatly put me on Synthroid 50mcg. Even still I just felt so blah, and kept eating horribly, and through Dec 2010 to the end of Jan-2010 I gained 12lbs back... I was feeling horrible and decided to re committ myself.

My husband I cancelled our gym membership and joined a more convienant (little bit more expensive) gym closer to home. They offered free classes!! However for the first 4 weeks I did not lose a single lb, I would go up 1lbs, down 1lb, up 2lbs, down 2lbs, it was CRAZY!! and I had to figure it out, so I went back got my thyroid retested and it came back down to the normal range, but not great, so we upped my dose to 62mcg of Synthroid, I changed my diet to a Low Carb Diet, and amazingly enough I dropeed 4 lbs in my first week!!! .... I feel so much better... I see a trainer twice a week and have found a new found love for Spinning!!

I love MFP, there are some days that I don't know what I would do here with out my MFP girls. It brings me so much more than motivation, inspiration, committment ... it's brough me some great friends. I keep track of calories, but most of all I keep track of my carbs (not net carbs), I've been eating around 50-60 carbs per day for the last 3 weeks and it seems (cross my fingers for tomorrows weigh) I have lost 6lbs in those three weeks, currently sitting 274lbs.. which means I am ALMOST to that original point I was at last year. Now for the last week and half I did not step in the gym, with life and personal matters, but Wed I went back for the first time since the 11th and I MISSED IT!

Exercise Friday - I actually LOVE exercise! I always have even when I was bigger I had no problems going for a walk, I was never the "sit on the couch" type of person, I was always up and going. My biggest problem was always food, not exercise! But now I have found a new LOVE for exercise SPINNING... it started out with just a little interest and my husband was talking to one of the instructors after our Aqua Fit Class and she was also teaching spinning, and he told her my fear and she encouraged me to come to the class... So I took one class, and before you knew it I went again, and again... and prior to last week I was going twice a week. I couldn't breath the first time I did it, I stopped probably 10 times and could only Stand for about 30 seconds, and now I can do position 2 standing for over 3 minutes!!! I can't imagine not doing spinning, I love it!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    wow sorry - didn't relize my post got that long! lol
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Sarah and I am 26 years old. I live in Northern Virginia and am marrying the love of my life on June 10th, 2011! We have known each other since I was 14 and he was 17. And now, he is 28 and I am 26 like I said. :D I've tried to lose weight over the years but, haven't been very successful. Probably because I didn't give it 100%. A few years ago, I lost 40 pounds in a few months but, was having stomach issues at the time so, it was easy to do. I didn't even exercise. I have always had meat on my bones starting from when I was young but, luckily I had height on my side to balance it out a bit. I created my account on here back in 2009. I lost a little weight but, gained it right back. In 2007, I lost the most important person in the world to me, my Grandfather. That took it's toll along with some other person stuff...and my weight kept going up.

Last October, my fiance and I got our engagement pictures dones. I was so upset at how horrible they turned out. I looked like a balloon. I got on the scale and it said "E". I read the scale and it says the weight limit is 300. I thought there is NO way I weigh over 300. I got on again and it read, I believe 310 or 308. I kind of blanked out. I could NOT believe how much I had gained! I was SO unhappy. January came and I still could have cared less if I lost weight. And, then a light turned on. I knew I was getting married in 6 months...I HAD to do something. I did not want to be the fat bride. So, I started working my butt off in the gym with my fiance. We take long walks together with my dog, hit the gym, etc. Since January 16th, I have lost 37 pounds. I have sort of been slacking here lately. Walks everyday but, nothing extreme. We need to get back in the gym and work super hard. Our wedding is coming up and I want us both to look fabulous. My fiance has lost 20 pounds and I am so proud of him. I can't remember the last time I felt so good about how I look and I don't even know when I saw the number that's on the scale. I want to continue to lose weight AFTER the wedding. We want to start a family! So, right now, I am shedding it for the wedding but, afterwards, I want to do it so we can have a long life together and start making babies ASAP!!!

Friday Fitness: I go to the gym and do the treadmill and elliptical. Lately since it's been nice out, we have been taking lots of walks after we get home from work. I walk on my lunchbreak at work as well. I always wear my Polar FT7 HRM. I LOVE it! I bought the Zumba DVD's but have not tried them out yet.

I have lost 37 but, have 91 pounds to go!

Everyone feel free to add me!! <3
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    First name: Joey, I live in Fort Mill, SC just 10 minutes shy of Charlotte, NC
    Married for over 10 yrs- Got the hubby on MFP too
    Age 38
    No Kids, Just furbabies: Coco (cat), Barney (dog) & Lola (dog) the dogs are in my banner
    How much your trying to lose ALOT: would like to lose 239 (yeah I know...) Down 60lbs and have a long SLOW road ahead.
    Why your on MFP: My girlfriend used it and it posted everyday, and I thought what a great way to start and be held accountable.
    Anything else you'd like to share with the group. I am Insulin Resistant & have PCOS.

I don't know know what skinny feels like, I don't really need to be super skinny just comfortable on my own skin would be great.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!!!
  • tamanella
    Options

Hey no worries!! That's what we're here for right? I personally enjoyed reading your post! :0)
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

My name is Amanda and I'm 25 years old. I have 3 kids, all under the age of 2 years old! Twin girls who will be two in about a month and a 6 month old son. I started this journey at 230 pounds and am currently 217 pounds. My ultimate goal is to be 165 by my wedding anniversary (February 21st), but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

My biggest issue is portion control and stress eating. I just got told by my doc yesterday to stop exercising so hard, but I'm not sure I'm going to listen... I really want to lose weight. Honestly, I almost cried when she said that... I asked her, "Well what the hell am I supposed to do then?" And she had nothing to say. Got home and had a letter in my mail (couldn't have possibly be sent the same day) about a "Medical Weight Management Program". Contemplating doing that, but felt really upset that someone (I'm still not sure who) thought it was necessary to send me this information for people who have "over 40 pounds to lose". Maybe I should take it as a good thing and actually look into it.

Anyway, I'm struggling and pretty upset right now as I'm trying to decide what to do... but things will work out. They always do.

Have a great day and it's WONDERFUL to meet you all! :happy:
  • rebecky27
    Options

Hey no worries!! That's what we're here for right? I personally enjoyed reading your post! :0)
    agreed! :smile:
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Im Claudia. Im in Las Vegas this weekend and will be back Monday. I just wanted to post and say hello. Im actually on the recumbant bike in the hotel fitness center right now! Thanks for having me in the group, I llook forward to getting to know all of you!
  • rebecky27
    Options
    Hey guys!

My name is Amanda and I'm 25 years old. I have 3 kids, all under the age of 2 years old! Twin girls who will be two in about a month and a 6 month old son. I started this journey at 230 pounds and am currently 217 pounds. My ultimate goal is to be 165 by my wedding anniversary (February 21st), but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

My biggest issue is portion control and stress eating. I just got told by my doc yesterday to stop exercising so hard, but I'm not sure I'm going to listen... I really want to lose weight. Honestly, I almost cried when she said that... I asked her, "Well what the hell am I supposed to do then?" And she had nothing to say. Got home and had a letter in my mail (couldn't have possibly be sent the same day) about a "Medical Weight Management Program". Contemplating doing that, but felt really upset that someone (I'm still not sure who) thought it was necessary to send me this information for people who have "over 40 pounds to lose". Maybe I should take it as a good thing and actually look into it.

Anyway, I'm struggling and pretty upset right now as I'm trying to decide what to do... but things will work out. They always do.

Have a great day and it's WONDERFUL to meet you all! :happy:

Why is the Dr. asking you to stop exercising? That's weird...almost as weird as that letter.....could it be something you signed up for, or tracked to you by searches and such you have done online? Curious to see what that program is.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! lol

How is eveyrone doing today! I'm struggling with what to do for lunch... we only really have fast food restaurants around my work, and my hubby packed my lunch and some how forgot the "lunch" part.. all I have is my snacks LOL