5 ingrediants or less/crockpot

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I just did this... I took some venison, added in a bag of frozen veggies (it was a purchased blend of beans, carrots, broccoli, etc.), put in enough water to cover the veggies, cooked on high for a couple hours, then on low for a few more hours. Next time, I might just put less water in, but otherwise it worked out.

You could probably do the same for a roast of some sort or generally just about any large hunk of meat, I would think. As you can see, I'm not an expert chef... not even close. But I do like that I can just grab a couple of logical items and make them work in the slow cooker. It would be even better, of course, if I could figure out a few ideas for longer cook times (9-10 hours) so I can put stuff in before work and have it ready when I'm home or shortly thereafter.

As it gets colder out, I really need to figure out some low calorie chili slow cooker recipes. Using beans in chili is quite calorie dense.

ETA: I did some quick googling, and this is the lowest calorie slow cooker chili I could find: http://www.food.com/recipe/weight-watchers-2-pts-slow-cooker-beef-chili-208146 It says 138 cal / serving, but I'm not sure how many cups a serving size is. It may not be the lowest calorie if a serving is too small, as the others I looked at from Google were 200-400 cal/cup - that is not really low cal IMO, as 1 cup is not a realistic serving size. (Also, I know this is not 5 ingredients or less.)
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Beef Osso Buco

beef shin bones with meat
    28 oz. tin of diced tomatoes with seasoning
    chopped onions, carrots
    red or white wine

salt and pepper the shins liberally and brown well on all sides, put in crock pot
    pour about a cup of wine into browning pan and reduce while scraping bits, then add to crock
    add carrots, onions and tomatoes (if you couldn't find tomatoes with seasoning, then add italian seasoning)
    if meat is not covered with liquid, the add water until just to top of meat
    cook on high for 6 hours

I usually serve this over quick polenta with gremolata on top
    gremolata: 1/3 minced parsley, 1/3 lemon zest, 1/3 finely minced garlic

VERY IMPORTANT: make sure you put the shin bones in so that the larger marrow opening is to the top, or else all that yummy marrow will slip out. If you've never had roasted/cooked marrow, it is like the richest, most savory pudding you can imagine!

Yum.:smile:

Edited for glaring spelling error.
  • I use Pork Tenderloin and a can of either Root Beer or Dr. Pepper. I rub the tenderloin with a little bit of seasoned salt and pepper. Use a good BBQ sauce and a hearty roll and voila! Easiest pulled pork ever! :) Kid friendly also.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Bump
  • bump for winter :D
  • bump for later, thanks! :)
  • Kitti03
    Kitti03 Posts: 5 Member
    Bump for later!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    In for the pot recipes
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Finally getting cool enough... in for the recipes.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Three or Four pounds of chicken breast- I shred these after cooking

One can of crushed tomatoes I use no salt added can

Some rosemary seasoning to taste

Cook on low
    Last hour add a can of drained black beans and some frozen corn and or frozen peas I usually add both

I usually serve over rice

Kid friendly
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    great ideas
  • sillyduckmoose
    sillyduckmoose Posts: 18 Member
    Bump for all the tasty crock pot ideas for autumn/fall is the season of the crock pot! :bigsmile:
  • Polishprincess83
    Polishprincess83 Posts: 59 Member
    I make Crock pot Chicken Tacos

1 lb Boneless skinless chicken breast*
    1 Packet Gluten Free taco seasoning*
    1 16 oz jar of mild salsa*

Cook on high for 4-6 hours, shred with fork, serve with flour tortillas or gluten free taco shells, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, and cheese. You can also have tomatoes and onions if you would like.

You can put the chicken breasts in the crock pot frozen.
    I use Gluten Free Taco Seasoning from McCormick.
    I use Pace Mild Chunky Salsa.
  • melodylyn73
    melodylyn73 Posts: 505 Member
    bump,sounds yummy!
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    I want to try some of these recipes! Thanks
  • laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Cross posted from another crock-pot form (mainly to be a productive bump :smile: )

Here's mine! I don't know the stats, but it's one of my favorites.

2 raw Chicken breasts
    2 cans condensed Broccoli Cheddar soup
    2 cans Whole Sweet Corn

Throw everything in together in the morning on low. At lunch time you can cut/dice/shred/whatever the chicken and put it back. At dinner you have a yummy, creamy soup!
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    bump
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Bump.
  • rocknbam
    rocknbam Posts: 11 Member
    allymacary wrote: »
    This recipe is so easy, you could do it with your eyes closed! The London Broil get fork tender and the sauce is amazing!

London Broil
    Package of Onion Soup Mix
    Can of Tomato Soup
    Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup

Combine all the ingredents in the crockpot and set on low for 8-10 hours. I like to serve it with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.

Sounds awesome!