Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Kale because it's food from the devil
  • gkim210
    gkim210 Posts: 22
    Options
    Rather than completely cutting things off cold turkey, I'd honestly say just slowly tapering off gradually is probably going to yield the best results. Right away dumping out all the sugar/processed junk will lead to higher chances of bingeing later, and we don't want that. Besides, making it into a gradual process is more practical and realistic anyway. Smaller changes that add up later make a huge difference. Avid soda drinker? Try replacing your sodas/packaged fruit juices (yes, even diet coke/coke zero, all that stuff is absolute JUNK at the end of the day, regardless of the 0 calories the labels claim to have) with water every meal about 2 days a week, then gradually to every other day, then eventually you'll have soda only about once a week, or even not at all, (then you've finally succeeded in cutting out soda completely!) depending on how you decide to stack it up.

This is same with looking at what you're eating for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Have sugary cereal every morning? Try trading in your Frosted Flakes for egg whites and wheat toast with organic peanut butter and a whole fruit instead. Small changes for the win! Instead of making packaged pasta for dinner, opt for protein like fish/chicken which will keep you fuller longer throughout the night. Also, be sure to have "something green" every night, that is the most important!

Snacking: swap those chips with carrots/cucumber/celery and hummus instead to not miss out on some of the savory flavor stuff! My favorite snack I've made so far is my version of "Trail mix" which are raw almonds, a little bit of dark chocolate shavings (can't go wrong with antioxidants!) tossed with raw goji berries from Whole Foods. I put them in a baggie and take them to school/work every day. They are packed with a ton of protein, and tons of nutrients (goji berries are a powerfood), and still so yummy without the sugar and fat.

After implementing subtle changes in your diet every week and replacing the bad stuff with the good rather than thinking of it as "completely cutting off", you'll definitely notice a difference, and furthermore, you'll be more inclined to maintain this new eating habit in the long run. Hope this helps!
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Kale is good for you even though it tastes nasty. I even tried it in smoothies, but the bitterness and chunky texture could not be masked. As for eliminating foods, that doesn't work for most people and will not on its own produce weight loss unless it results in a decrease in calories. Eliminating extremely unhealthy foods could improve health though (e.g. trans fatty acids, pork lard by the spoonful, etc.), but could predispose you to binges. If you can eliminate some of these foods and not look back, then you will probably improve your health. For instance, with the exception of high cocoa chocolate, I don't eat candy and don't like it. Probably haven't eaten candy of any kind in more than a decade and haven't looked back.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    nothing the only thing to cut out is extra helpings

29509743.png
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    The only reason you shouldn't eat a particular food is if you're allergic to or not allowed to eat because of another medical issue. If you have foods that you can't eat without binging then maybe you could try cutting them out until you can learn how to eat it in moderation.

I have lost over a 140+ pounds & have ate ice cream, chips, cookies, brownies, pizza, etc.
  • walker306
    walker306 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing you need to cut out would be "seconds". Don't make that second trip through the food line! :D
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Anything with trans fats... those are objectively awful for you.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Once you start logging / measuring/weighing everything you eat/drink you will quickly see what things fit in your numbers and what does not. Many times over I have logged something and thought, no way. Either I reduce the portion size or decide to eat something else.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    soda. anything with high fructose corn syrup. any of that packaged crap like Hostess and Little Debbie stuff. those things hardly count as food anyway. eat real food. chocolate chip cookies you baked yourself are so much better for you than all the chemicals and preservatives in Chips Ahoy for example. and fast food. more fat than food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is a trick question, right?
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you desire. Weightloss is math. As long as there is a caloric deficit. If health is a priority for you aswell, then I would agree with your new eating plan, it sounds fantastic in terms of weightloss and nutrition. If your focus is strictly losing those last few pounds, incorporate a few of your favourite foods, regardless if its icecreams, cookies, chips. It is good for your sanity. I used to be a bodybuilder and went into depression. I never allowed myself treats, then if I did I would punish myself for the next day as if eating something sweet and salty was a sin. Enjoy your foods as much as possible, without being greedy. Then, my friend, you will value the real plan. Which is to appreciate food. Good luck
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    cherith778 wrote: »
    If I was to cut a food completely out of my diet, what should it be? I.e chocolate, chips, energy drinks, ect.

An energy drink isnt a food....
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    cherith778 wrote: »
    If I was to cut a food completely out of my diet, what should it be? I.e chocolate, chips, energy drinks, ect.

An energy drink isnt a food....

What is it, a shed?
    I suppose one could argue some are a drug consumed as food...
  • erinb419
    Options
    Chips are fried, high in sodium, and unnecessary. Dip vegetables into your dip/hummus instead. That's what I do.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dip and hummus are high in sodium, erin. :)
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    things with low nutrient to calorie ratios.....things like white bread, oil, butter, dairy, etc. Try to maximize the amount of nutrients in each bite of food. It's easy to lose weight if you do this (aka Dr. Fuhrman plan)

There is nothing wrong with oil... Cooking in olive oil is a great source of healthy fats. Also, Dairy? No... Cheese might be a little high on the calories, but the satisfaction is totally worth every one of them.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    rkalllison wrote: »
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    Kale because it's food from the devil

Kale = Devil Food...and just plain gross

It's trendy to eat pig food it seems.
    I just eat the pig.