When I eat 1200 cals I put on weight

Options

Replies

• kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sorry to nitpick, but on the 5th you had coco pops with skimmed milk, but a cup of tea with semi?
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »
    Be careful with your tea logging. I was logging my tea with those values (15 cals per mug) but when I weighed the amount of milk I put in it's more like 50 cals (100ml of semi skimmed). When someone else make a cup or it's in a small mug I might log it as 0.8 or 0.75 or a mug. It might not sound a lot, but I was having up to 6 cups a day when I worked, = 300cals compared to 90cals.

Tea by itself is 0 calories...my 1% milk is 25 calories for 1/4 c...then I use Equal...so...an 8 oz mug of tea would be 25 calories.

That's what I mean! different people use different amount of milk. She uses semi-skimmed, which is about 1.7% fat but might be putting in more milk than the 15cals. My cup of tea works out at about 50 cals! it is pretty milky though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    even if you're miscalculating, I doubt it's by half. have thyroid checked ever? report tsh #s back here if so!

EUGH. NO. NO. NO.

You are making a mockery of people with actual thyroid problems. Thyroid problems only make you gain a little bit of water weight, and that's it. Fat people need to stop using it as an excuse. Just come to terms with the fact that you overate and didn't exercise enough. That has nothing to do with your thyroid.
    Um ...

I have gained THIRTY-SIX POUNDS because of thyroid issues. I have Hashimoto's. Are you actually telling me that it is all water weight?

And I gained those THIRTY-SIX POUNDS weighing and measuring everything, eating 1,000-1,500 calories a day AND exercising regularly. This is after being thin almost my entire life, then gaining some weight, losing it and keeping it off for two full years.

Am I making a mockery of people with thyroid issues or do I get a pass because I actually have one myself?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    even if you're miscalculating, I doubt it's by half. have thyroid checked ever? report tsh #s back here if so!

EUGH. NO. NO. NO.

You are making a mockery of people with actual thyroid problems. Thyroid problems only make you gain a little bit of water weight, and that's it. Fat people need to stop using it as an excuse. Just come to terms with the fact that you overate and didn't exercise enough. That has nothing to do with your thyroid.

Why on earth would you say this? And boy are you misinformed...and snarky as well. Please grow up...smh

Insulting other is against the rules, you know. I could keep reporting your posts that do it but I thought I'd just mention it and possibly save everyone some work.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Seriously, what is a packet?
    After googling, it's either male genitalia or a small box of food (aka take out, but I'm guessing smaller than take away which most British people complain about being 2000-3000 calories each).

I'm hoping it's #2.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I'm going to take a guess at what may be happening and you can tell me if I'm right:

When you say you gain 1-2kg a week, that's the first week or two after increasing your calories, right? You up your calories, see an immediate jump on the scale and drop them back down, yes? Have you ever upped your calories and left them there for 4-6 weeks?

I'm going to predict that you haven't, so you have no idea what would happen if you did. It's not a consistent 1-2kg gain per week, it's a one-time thing that you see every time you up your calories. That's water and probably some glycogen; it's 100% normal, and it happens to almost everyone when they come out of a calorie deficit into maintenance. It doesn't keep happening every week -- it'll happen in the first week or two and then you'll level out. But you HAVE to keep going with your increased intake -- otherwise, you'll continue to bounce around, gaining and losing water weight, and never get anywhere.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

EUGH. NO. NO. NO.

Why on earth would you say this? And boy are you misinformed...and snarky as well. Please grow up...smh

Insulting other is against the rules, you know. I could keep reporting your posts that do it but I thought I'd just mention it and possibly save everyone some work.
    This post above by WalkingAlong is the perfect example of the nonsense that's going on with the site with the flag feature. She points out a fact as in a tactful way and her post gets flagged. I hope the Mods realize the nonsense and start banning people that abuse that feature.

And the last thing I'm doing is acting as a WK with WalkAlong because as she herself will verify, I argue with her a lot. A lot.

To be fair, this probably hasn't changed much since before the change. I'm sure everyone reported everyone else who they thought was being mean. There were likely hundreds of reports a day, we just couldn't see them. Everyone tends to get their panties in a wad, and it's up to the mods to sort it out. I don't envy them...
  • TweedAddict
    TweedAddict Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ok can explain the day I had skimmed milk with ceral and semi with tea. I had a cup of tea at home, then had to help out my mum with some gardening, she wasn't happy I didn't have breakfast so forced it down me. She only has skimmed milk.

I like my tea with as little milk as possible, only just to colour the water.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    ok can explain the day I had skimmed milk with ceral and semi with tea. I had a cup of tea at home, then had to help out my mum with some gardening, she wasn't happy I didn't have breakfast so forced it down me. She only has skimmed milk.

I like my tea with as little milk as possible, only just to colour the water.

Do you consistently exercise??

• UKTexan
    UKTexan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've read through the comments on this post and I think that your problem may be one of these options:

1. You are way off logging your calories.
    2. You are bingeing thousands of calories you're not logging. You seem to comfort eat high carb, sugary sweets when you feel down. Not everyone that does this is a binge eater, but it is a symptom of binge eating. You also seem down on yourself in general, and no wonder. Starving your body of the proper nutrition can give you serious mood disorders and addictive thinking regarding food. Binge eaters often have mood disorders as well.
    3. Your medication for your medical issue is causing you to gain weight by messing with your hormones. This is a known side effect of some medications. Go to the doctor.
    4. You've got an endocrine disorder that is disrupting your hormones. The first ones that come to mind are hypothyroidism or poly cystic ovarian syndrome. If you have one of these disorders, you may gain weight on " normal" calories. Go to the doctor and insist that he do a thyroid panel and possibly an ultrasound for PCOS. On the thyroid panel, get him to test not just for TSH, but for T3 and T4 as well. These conditions can be treated, and you will lose weight.

There is no magic going on here. Something is amiss either on the outside (eating and logging) or on the inside (endocrine problems).

Get the proper nutrition not just because you want to lose weight, but because you care about yourself and want to live life at your best, mentally, physically, and emotionally. If what your logging is accurate, you are very undernourished, most likely not just physically but emotionally as well. I truly hope you find an answer.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

EUGH. NO. NO. NO.

This post above by WalkingAlong is the perfect example of the nonsense that's going on with the site with the flag feature. She points out a fact as in a tactful way and her post gets flagged. I hope the Mods realize the nonsense and start banning people that abuse that feature.

And the last thing I'm doing is acting as a WK with WalkAlong because as she herself will verify, I argue with her a lot. A lot.

To be fair, this probably hasn't changed much since before the change. I'm sure everyone reported everyone else who they thought was being mean. There were likely hundreds of reports a day, we just couldn't see them. Everyone tends to get their panties in a wad, and it's up to the mods to sort it out. I don't envy them...
    Yea you are right. Now we are just aware of all the reporting. Mods have a tough job policing.

I find it really strange that these posts are being flagged, nothing inappropriate have been said. Do people actually just do things like this out of spite?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I haven't looked at the diary but the whole thing makes me hope she tells her doctor enough because there are signs of ED lurking about. Only eating a candy bar all day because you feel bad about yourself is red flag enough, in my book.
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Seriously, what is a packet?
    Pre-packaged processed food. US example would be boxed mac n cheese, just add milk/water type of cooking. Instant noodles etc.

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    (Testing)

The flags on this page are awesome!