When I eat 1200 cals I put on weight

Options

Replies

• popslice
    Options
    There are medical conditions that may result in weight gain even when you are consuming very few calories. If your diary is accurate (and your logging doesn't look that bad to me, it's just concerning that you're eating so little on some days), it could be that you have a thyroid condition or that you have PCOS, which frequently occurs in combination with diabetes. See, for example, this woman's story: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1454924

Some people are very dedicated to the calories in/calories out theory of weight loss. For some of us it's not quite that simple. Please, please see a doctor.
  • CappiWheeler
    Options
    I ran into this as well, lost 9 lbs and stopped. I am 5'7, 55yo, 50 lbs overweight. I did what you did 1200 cal a day, kept my carbs at around 30 a meal. then followed the DASH plan, didn't work. Followed the Diabetic plan, didn't work. I then found a book called "Body Type Diet by Dr. Abravanel. I know it's pretty old news, and lots of people saying it's quackery. It probably doesn't really matter what plan for your body you use as long as you find one you are suited for. I started the T-type plan, and am completely satisfied and satiated. I am pre-diabetic and this fits me fine. The weight has started to come off again. Where the plan doesn't have snacks I do add one snack at bedtime. Check it out, this may be very helpful for you. You may find you need to cut out something too that is causing you to stop loosing, like your body may hold to dairy, or fruit, or grains. Not to say that you eliminate completely, but adjust it. I found fruit I believe was stopping me. The T-type plan has eggs, dairy, vegetables, certain meats and fish, and some grains. My body is satisfied with this plan. There are 3 more types, one has basically no dairy, one is almost vegetarian, and one has more dairy than meat. Check it out. I also have a huge appetite. HTH
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with weight gain. I'm 5'3", and I have decided to cut bread and pasta out of my diet. although I LOVE both of those, they love my belly and booty too much. If I eat as much as 1 regular sandwich, I will gain 1-1.5 lbs over night. And yes, that IS staying at or under my calorie goal. Bread and pasta just isn't good for me. For the last week, I have stayed away from them, started walking 30 minutes to an hour a day, and I've lost almost 5 pounds.

Sometimes it IS possible for a person to gain weight when staying at 1200 calories a day! I understand the frustration. And I think its pretty hateful for everyone to tell you that you're doing it wrong. it could just be an allergy.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Well, shoot, I was trying to figure out what the "flagging" conversation is about, hit a flag to look at one, and ending up flagging someone's post, which will now alert the mods (which was unintended, mods, in case you see the one post I accidentally flagged).

I think it's strange we can see the posts that have been flagged because, well, I'd say that abuse is in the perception (some people think honesty is abuse), and I also think it prompts people to just hop on the horse, so to speak.

I'm going to have to flag you for unnecessary flagging. :wink: I think Mr. M is correct that you can un-flag. I found it out when I tried to flag some spam I had apparently already flagged.

I just un-flagged the "test" flag from earlier. Whew!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    lgpperry1 wrote: »
    Your body is probably freaking out and storing fat because you're starving yourself. Eating that little will destroy your metabolism and your body will do everything that it can to prevent further weight loss.

Nopenopenope.

As an aside, if we're able to flag posts, we should be able to "like" posts, too.
  • popslice
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

What medical conditions will cause you to gain weight if you are actually eating in a caloric deficit? Like if your TDEE IS 1800 and you eat 1400 you will gain weight.

As I mentioned, this can happen with endocrine disorders such as thyroid disease and PCOS.
  • lgpperry1
    lgpperry1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    lgpperry1 wrote: »
    Your body is probably freaking out and storing fat because you're starving yourself. Eating that little will destroy your metabolism and your body will do everything that it can to prevent further weight loss.
    Not possible

Because science is all made up by the man, amirite?

If you eat very little for a long time, you will cause metabolic damage. Go talk to a doctor and a nutritionist.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    popslice wrote: »

What medical conditions will cause you to gain weight if you are actually eating in a caloric deficit? Like if your TDEE IS 1800 and you eat 1400 you will gain weight.

As I mentioned, this can happen with endocrine disorders such as thyroid disease and PCOS.

Pop,

I think you've missed the point. :smile: You will lose weight anytime you are in a calorie deficit. However, with thyroid and PCOS, it will take some work to find that calorie deficit. But, every time you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and I can totally see why you would be gaining weight. You are eating so many carbs and not enough protein. When your carbs and protein are not balanced, the extra carbs can turn to sugar. And if you are anything like me that sugar turns to fat on my gut. Try eating more protein and less carbs and try to have your evening meal be a lighter meal.
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and weigh 155 and I typically eat around 1450 calories and am still losing (slowly but losing). I exercise 6 days a week and burn between 425-550 calories a day through exercise and I do not eat back those calories. Are you sure 1200 is enough calories? Eating things with fake sugar can affect weight loss. I cut out all diet sodas and anything with artificial sweeteners in it. Cutting those things and processed foods has helped my weight loss.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This thread is amazing :noway:
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    popslice wrote: »

So if you have hypothyroidism or PCOS, you get treated and you eat in a caloric deficit you will still gain weight?

No, if you get treated and the blood tests shows the thyroid functioning at a normal level that pretty much puts you on par with someone who does not have hypothyroidism. PCOS and insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia are more complicated
    The point is, if someone has any of the conditions above but they are not aware and use numbers from online calculators to get their BMR and TDEE they may not lose weight. Their calculated numbers are higher than the actual BMR (due to the medical issues) therefore they are not eating in a deficit
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    ok can explain the day I had skimmed milk with ceral and semi with tea. I had a cup of tea at home, then had to help out my mum with some gardening, she wasn't happy I didn't have breakfast so forced it down me. She only has skimmed milk.

I like my tea with as little milk as possible, only just to colour the water.

With every post you write a couple things become more apparent:

You seem to be to young for this website.
    You need to go speak to someone.

What are you talking about, she doesn't live with her mum, how does that make her young? I go help my Dad with gardening and I'm 40.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Bretto wrote: »
    I looked at your diary and I can totally see why you would be gaining weight. You are eating so many carbs and not enough protein. When your carbs and protein are not balanced, the extra carbs can turn to sugar. And if you are anything like me that sugar turns to fat on my gut. Try eating more protein and less carbs and try to have your evening meal be a lighter meal.
    But.....

You will only gain weight if you eat more calories than you burn. The balance of carbs, protein, and fat are not for weight loss but for health, fullness, energy.

It's not like those carbs turn to sugar and hightail it to your gut.

It seems to me that people make weight loss too difficult by trying to analyze and find reasons for everything, except admitting that they are eating more calories than they realize.

Also, lighter meal, heavier meal, meal timing--none of these have to do with weight loss either.