What's the REAL reason you want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• balletgirl77
    balletgirl77 Posts: 61 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I want to be able to look at pictures of myself without obsessing over how I look. I want to wear anything while feeling confident and have a costume fitting where the costume doesn't have to be let out for me. Also, I don't want to have to lie about my weight anymore.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    Is it actually for your health?
    Yes, getting my wedding tackle played with more is excellent for my self image and mental health.

true story.
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 years old and had a TIA a little over 2 months ago. Basically, its the symptoms of a stroke but they come and go within a few minutes. It shows that you are on the verge of having a major stroke if you don't get it under control. With my lifetime chances of a stroke very, very high now (not to mention the other ickies like diabetes and high blood pressure) it was time to make a change. I have no intentions of stroking out before I'm 40.

I also am planning on hiking the Wonderland Trail in 3 years and the PCT in 12 years... and it would be absolutely impossible to do being so overweight.
  • Pezkin85
    Pezkin85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The only time I have ever been slim was back in my early twenties - and that was because of an extremely unhealthy lifestyle and taking a lot of things I shouldn't be. I met my partner, stayed clean for several years, given up smoking and cut down my drinking and then have had my children. I'm nearly 30 now and want to prove to myself for once that I can manage to lose the weight and be healthy - especially so I am around as long as possible for my kids and can join in and play with them without getting tired!

Of course it'll also be pretty awesome to look great in a bikini, ha!
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Note: This is NOT bragging, it's my gratitude list.

I have EVERYTHING any person could ever want and need to be happy; I have a great husband I've known since I was 14, we have 4 incredible children, a nice new SUV, a roof over our heads, the internet, live within 15 different parks, the ocean, the mountains, the dessert, Hollywood and Las Vegas, I have great friends, I have a great job that allows me to be a SAHM, a full refrigerator and pantry, running water, clean clothes, etc.

BUT, my husband is disabled and has a heart condition. He nearly died after a work injury in 2008, of which afterward he developed en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis. I almost lost the love of my life, the father of our children, my best friend. That was a wake up call; not only do I need to take care of him, but I NEEDED/HAVE to take care of myself.

God forbid something like that happens again, and I lose him. Mentally, physically, I don't know if I have the strength to raise 4 kids on my own. I don't want that to be an option, so I'm taking what preventative measures I can to assure our health and well-being first; eating healthy, exercising, encouraging lots of water, love, laughter, relieving stress and anxieties.

So, in a way, my wants of weighing less, are somewhat vain. I want to be as healthy as possible to keep up with my family, to protect them, take care of them, and if I can't be a good role model, how can I expect them to live healthier lives?
  • thatsyum
    thatsyum Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I want to feel better about myself and more confident in what I wear.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    To be hydrodynamic enough to make a qualifying swim time for an open water swim I want to do.
  • Davidfor230
    Options
    I'm fat and I don't want to buy larger clothing. When I was in Japan last March, I lost six pounds in two weeks because I was walking almost non-stop and some nights I didn't eat dinner. Well, that and Pepsi products weren't very common. So, I'm a fatty and I hate having this large belly sitting in front of me all the time. I hate tight clothing and I hate looking at other men who are overweight and thinking "oh my gosh, I look like that." My true goal is 230 lbs., but I'll happily settle for 250 lbs.
    Now I want a Mountain Dew.
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I need to be at a safe weight to have a baby... and to look hot for a while before a baby wrecks my bod lmao.
  • Aedavids
    Options
    It honestly started out as a looks thing, but the more I work out and the more I accomplish, I want to be powerful. It feels amazing!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    For both my physical and my emotional health. I didn't feel healthy when I was at my worst, and I was too terrified of going to the doctor to have it confirmed. And sitting in a puddle of tears all too often because I was fat, ugly, and old did nothing to help me physically or emotionally.

Being fat I could and am fixing. I feel healthier at 41 than I did for most of my 20's and 30's. And as I continue to lose weight I feel more beautiful again.

And now that my emotional self is healing, I'm working with the doctor to fix the minor medical issues I do have.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have chronic back pain, not being in pain all the time is my main motivation. But I won't say no to all the other benefits that come with being a healthy weight.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well, I want to be able to buy clothes out of normal stores and I want to enlist/commission into the military--- my ultimate goal.

I'm not particularly attractive, I've accepted this, and I have a body full of stretch marks, so I won't look much better when I finally reach my goal weight. I just want a better life for myself. I don't want to suffer from preventable health problems at 30, 40, 50. I'm already having symptoms and it's scaring me--- my limbs tingle throughout the day.

I also want to get back into running. I used to run over a decade ago when I took an ROTC class. I enjoyed it. I just want to be the best version of the current me.
  • chrissy5116
    chrissy5116 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to be a healthy weight and feel good about myself. I also want to do this by mid May for my birthday and just in time for summer...plan to wear a bikini for the first time :)
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the infatuation is with being "thin". I'm a guy and not really attracted to overly skinny women. Maybe it's just me but a "healthy" looking women (proportionate muscle and weight to height) is much more appealing. Maybe because I'm a big guy and afraid I'd break a woman who's really thin. Anyway, I'm losing weight for my own self satisfaction. I want to be able to look in a mirror and say, "Yeah, I'm hot," whether anyone else thinks so or not. Also, sex is so much better when both partners are in great shape, much more endurance, no body angst, more flexibility and no extra padding to get in the way. So, I guess it's as much for my partner as it is for myself.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have two motivations for losing weight. The one I tell people (which is true) is that I want to get back into running again and back to being the fit person I was. The real motivation is my 20 year high school reunion is next summer and I refuse to go if I'm fat. I wasn't fat in high school, I wasn't fat at my 10 year reunion and I am not okay with knowing that many I went to school with will think, boy did she let herself go. Even though they have no clue what has happened in the 10 years since they saw me last.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My desire for weight loss was to become the best version of myself.
    I wanted to..
    • look my best
    • feel great
    • and live well
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I want to fit back into my cute skinny clothes and I don't want to be self conscious about my weight during sex.
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My husband because he is absolutely perfect and deserves the hottest wife ever. And my son, so he can be proud of me and hopefully as he gets older, I influence him to take care of himself as well.. (he's a chubby monkey hehe)

Oh, and clothes. Can't forget the clothes.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    Is it actually for your health?

Yup! I've enjoyed the perks of being thinner, but I really did all this because I was very unhealthy. I didn't have an issue with my size, but my lifestyle that made me larger gave me high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and pre-diabetes. When I was told, at 31 years of age, that I had these problems, I made lifestyle changes to combat them. I ended up losing weight, much to my surprise, and I began focusing more on my size as well. But, health is my main concern. Mental as well as physical!