• 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    7aneena wrote: »
    popslice wrote: »

What medical conditions will cause you to gain weight if you are actually eating in a caloric deficit? Like if your TDEE IS 1800 and you eat 1400 you will gain weight.

As I mentioned, this can happen with endocrine disorders such as thyroid disease and PCOS.
    So if you have hypothyroidism or PCOS, you get treated and you eat in a caloric deficit you will still gain weight?

No, if you get treated and the blood tests shows the thyroid functioning at a normal level that pretty much puts you on par with someone who does not have hypothyroidism. PCOS and insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia are more complicated
    The point is, if someone has any of the conditions above but they are not aware and use numbers from online calculators to get their BMR and TDEE they may not lose weight. Their calculated numbers are higher than the actual BMR (due to the medical issues) therefore they are not eating in a deficit

So if the number calculated is actually lower than their true BMR if that person eats at an actual deficit, will they gain weight?

In theory they are not supposed to, and if it happens its probably not from the thyroid issue. Like I said PCOS and hyperinsulinemia are more complicated. How the body responds to sugar levels (in blood) in these conditions is very different from a healthy person. The body produces way more insulin that it should in response to the amount of food you ingest. The body's affinity to store fat is also increased, and the resistance to release fat storage also increases. I believe that is the reason some doctors advocate low carb and low glycimic index diets. Personally what worked for me was weight training and medication (Metformin).

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

What medical conditions will cause you to gain weight if you are actually eating in a caloric deficit? Like if your TDEE IS 1800 and you eat 1400 you will gain weight.

As I mentioned, this can happen with endocrine disorders such as thyroid disease and PCOS.
    So if you have hypothyroidism or PCOS, you get treated and you eat in a caloric deficit you will still gain weight?

No, if you get treated and the blood tests shows the thyroid functioning at a normal level that pretty much puts you on par with someone who does not have hypothyroidism. PCOS and insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia are more complicated
    The point is, if someone has any of the conditions above but they are not aware and use numbers from online calculators to get their BMR and TDEE they may not lose weight. Their calculated numbers are higher than the actual BMR (due to the medical issues) therefore they are not eating in a deficit

So if the number calculated is actually lower than their true BMR if that person eats at an actual deficit, will they gain weight?

In theory they are not supposed to, and if it happens its probably not from the thyroid issue. Like I said PCOS and hyperinsulinemia are more complicated. How the body responds to sugar levels (in blood) in these conditions is very different from a healthy person. The body produces way more insulin that it should in response to the amount of food you ingest. The body's affinity to store fat is also increased, and the resistance to release fat storage also increases. I believe that is the reason some doctors advocate low carb and low glycimic index diets. Personally what worked for me was weight training and medication (Metformin).

So in a deficit where is the body pulling the energy it needs to keep going?

Indeed. I'm very curious here.

If intake is 1400. Utilization is 2200. Where is the difference coming from?
  • 7aneena
    Options

That's actually a good question, when you put it that way it makes me ever more confused LOL
    Anyway here's what I understood from reading about the excess insulin. CICO principle should always hold right? OK so when you ingest food your body release insulin (too much ), and although the insulin restores glycogen storage, its excess stimulates the liver to form fatty acids that are transported to adipose cells and stored as fat.

So I guess the answer is, the body used energy from food but the excess insulin promotes fat storage?
    You can read more http://www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/obpa2whyobpe.html
    The website wants to promote supplements so don't mind their products but they do cite research validating insulin role in obesity
  • dbmata
    Options
    life.
    extension.
    vitamins.
  • 7aneena
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    life.
    extension.
    vitamins.

LOL yeah I know not very trustworthy when they are trying to push their products. Here's a more legitimate one
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413112004536
  • dbmata
    Options
    My question though.

It doesn't take a study to answer it. Care to take a stab?
  • 7aneena
    Options
    Are you referring to MrM27's q?
  • willettamie
    willettamie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do log everything that I eat and since I only drink water all day and 1/2 cup of orange juice before going to bed, my food diary is pretty simple. However, I do measure everything - whether it's a half of a peach or 12 pistachios, I'll log it in. My daily calories range between 500 - 700 net. I know that's way below the 1380 recommended, but I find that when the food is lean protein and fresh veggies, I'm am full a lot faster and for longer periods. You stated that exercise is not possible right now, but I read something about 3500 calories per week that are not burned off will cause one (1) pound of weight gain. Maybe the 1200 calories per day (8400 per week) and no exercise is the culprit and not you. Ask your doctor what "cardio" exercises are safe for you to do and perhaps cut our calories by 500 per day and see if after one week if there is any difference. But no matter what, just don't give up!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do log everything that I eat and since I only drink water all day and 1/2 cup of orange juice before going to bed, my food diary is pretty simple. However, I do measure everything - whether it's a half of a peach or 12 pistachios, I'll log it in. My daily calories range between 500 - 700 net. I know that's way below the 1380 recommended, but I find that when the food is lean protein and fresh veggies, I'm am full a lot faster and for longer periods. You stated that exercise is not possible right now, but I read something about 3500 calories per week that are not burned off will cause one (1) pound of weight gain. Maybe the 1200 calories per day (8400 per week) and no exercise is the culprit and not you. Ask your doctor what "cardio" exercises are safe for you to do and perhaps cut our calories by 500 per day and see if after one week if there is any difference. But no matter what, just don't give up!

What on earth are you on about ? 1200 is the absolute bare minimum suggested by both Mfp and most doctors, without taking any exercise into consideration. Stop giving irresponsible 'advice'.

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options

you FEEL full a lot faster after an extended period of not eating much. that doesnt mean you are. nor does it mean your body is properly fueled.

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Maybe the 1200 calories per day (8400 per week) and no exercise is the culprit and not you. Ask your doctor what "cardio" exercises are safe for you to do and perhaps cut our calories by 500 per day and see if after one week if there is any difference.

Please do not listen to this, it's complete bobbins.
  • odinalove1
    odinalove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can you open your diary?

this

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    lgpperry1 wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    lgpperry1 wrote: »
    Your body is probably freaking out and storing fat because you're starving yourself. Eating that little will destroy your metabolism and your body will do everything that it can to prevent further weight loss.
    Not possible

Because science is all made up by the man, amirite?

If you eat very little for a long time, you will cause metabolic damage. Go talk to a doctor and a nutritionist.
    So, according to you the body stores fat while it is starving? How can energy be stored when energy is not available? How did anyone in the history of mankind ever starve to death? And were their starving bodies fat?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »
    even if you're miscalculating, I doubt it's by half. have thyroid checked ever? report tsh #s back here if so!

EUGH. NO. NO. NO.

You are making a mockery of people with actual thyroid problems. Thyroid problems only make you gain a little bit of water weight, and that's it. Fat people need to stop using it as an excuse. Just come to terms with the fact that you overate and didn't exercise enough. That has nothing to do with your thyroid.
    Um ...

I have gained THIRTY-SIX POUNDS because of thyroid issues. I have Hashimoto's. Are you actually telling me that it is all water weight?

And I gained those THIRTY-SIX POUNDS weighing and measuring everything, eating 1,000-1,500 calories a day AND exercising regularly. This is after being thin almost my entire life, then gaining some weight, losing it and keeping it off for two full years.

Am I making a mockery of people with thyroid issues or do I get a pass because I actually have one myself?

she WAS on my friends list...notice I said WAS! She's also 18 and has NO clue...

And I'm sorry to hear that you had to deal with this rml_16.
    Thanks. :-)

I wasn't looking for sympathy, but that was such an ignorant thing to say. lol

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That's actually a good question, when you put it that way it makes me ever more confused LOL
    Anyway here's what I understood from reading about the excess insulin. CICO principle should always hold right? OK so when you ingest food your body release insulin (too much ), and although the insulin restores glycogen storage, its excess stimulates the liver to form fatty acids that are transported to adipose cells and stored as fat.

So I guess the answer is, the body used energy from food but the excess insulin promotes fat storage?
    You can read more http://www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/obpa2whyobpe.html
    The website wants to promote supplements so don't mind their products but they do cite research validating insulin role in obesity
    I only know enough about thyroid (as opposed to the others) to comment, but from experience, it IS possible to lose weight with untreated hypothyroidism. There is a point where you are eating less than you burn. In my case, that was between 500 and 700 calories a day (along with exercise). More than that and I maintained or gained weight.

It isn't sustainable and therefore, it's pretty much impossible to lose weight with hypothyroid (untreated).

I've also come to know that PCPs and GPs are terrible about properly diagnosing it and they miss a LOT of signs. You can have a "normal" TSH and still be hypothyroid. Anyone who is truly eating 1,200 calories a day (properly tracking) and gaining weight really does need to see an endocrinologist.
  • mrihel6615
    mrihel6615 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I saw someone said that if you are under 5 foot you might have to eat differently. I am 4'10 and right around 130 pounds, do any of you know how much I should eat? Most calculators online just go with the general 1200 calories, and other ones say I should eat 500-700 calories to lose weight. I'm not quite perfect with my logging or my estimates. So I try to eat short of 1100 to allow for my mistakes. Any advice?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Are you referring to MrM27's q?

No. Like I said. My question.

Care to take a stab at it?
  • dbmata
    Options
    If this post isn't trashed and removed as offensive and abusive....

I guess all normal rules are out the window since the forum change over.

Used to be it was against the rules to promote VLCDs and other dangerous approaches.
  • dbmata
    Options
    mrihel6615 wrote: »
    I saw someone said that if you are under 5 foot you might have to eat differently. I am 4'10 and right around 130 pounds, do any of you know how much I should eat? Most calculators online just go with the general 1200 calories, and other ones say I should eat 500-700 calories to lose weight. I'm not quite perfect with my logging or my estimates. So I try to eat short of 1100 to allow for my mistakes. Any advice?

Yeah, do some research and make some rational choices.

The calculator says you should eat 500-700 calories because you're giving it bad input. Eh. Go talk to an RD.