Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What foods should I stop eating?

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Ideally you shouldn't have to cut anything out. But if you have a particular Achilles heel it might help you to cut it out cold turkey. For me it's sweets. People say "have a square of chocolate a day" and I just laugh because I know that's not going to work for me. If there's a chocolate bar in my home, that chocolate bar is eaten in its entirety, immediately, lol. I find it a lot easier to stick to eating well if I look at sweets as a holiday type of treat. Those of you who can work sugary goodness into your eating plans on a regular basis, my hat's off to you. I wish I could!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    rkalllison wrote: »
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    Kale because it's food from the devil

Kale = Devil Food...and just plain gross

It's trendy to eat pig food it seems.
    I just eat the pig.

I occasionally eat salads... that way I know what my food ate.
  • dbmata
    cnlargent wrote: »
    touché.

lol...what do you use lard it, if at all?

carnitas.
  • mindful2012
    mindful2012 Posts: 21 Member
    If you like Dunkin Donuts Coffee Coolatta's (which I did love and consumed 2-3 times per week) until I put my sugar intake into context with the rest of my life. I'm allowed 56 grams of sugar a day. My Coolatta was using up 53 of these grams....leaving me with 3 grams elsewhere....ugh! And I DID stay within my total calorie goal each day that I consumed the Coolatta.....so maybe the focus isn't just calories...it's sugars, etc. too. It's the bigger, whole picture.

When do I now have a Coolatta? After I've done a 2+ hour hike and have earned it and can justify the extra sugar intake....

Thus, I have not cut out a particular food, I've just limited as to when I can have it, I know how it affects me and I've done something physical to earn it. If I was having a really crappy day and it was either the Coolatta OR forget this friggin' diet thing.....I'd splurge and have the Coolatta and get back on track afterward.

This is just an example from my life - you can insert any food or beverage for Coolatta and I bet it could be true. This is exactly what happened to me....and now I find I don't want a Coolatta because I am now knowledgeable about how much sugar it has and what that will do to my daily goals.

Good luck!

C-
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,838 Member
    No one can successfully argue that soda or transfats are good for you. Much research shows they are not. If you give them up and replace them with healthy alternatives you will be healthier. Will you lose weight? Only if you reduce calorie intake. I eat almost entirely healthy food and my weight is twice what it ought to be. Quantity affects weight, quality affects health.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Lard. Don't eat lard or spam anymore. Other than that, just fit within your calorie and macro goals if you can, and move more than you do currently.

were you eating it by the spoonful????

I mean I use lard to cook my popcorn- and all my veggies- I mean- nothing taste better than bacon grease sauteed veggies- seriously- that's amazing.

But- do you just ? um. eat it?
  • I've given up my frilly coffees - pumpkin spice lattes, ice capps, etc. Not because you need to give anything up to be successful at this, but because I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them. 300 calories for a small ice capp is a lot of cheese strings that would do a better job at filling me up while staying in my calorie allotment.
  • dbmata
    dbmata wrote: »
    touché.

carnitas.

thanks...now I want mexican...lol...I hope you're happy :neutral_face:

I'm half mexican... just spreading the love, halfway.
  • JoRocka
    touché.

carnitas.

thanks...now I want mexican...lol...I hope you're happy :neutral_face:

I'm half mexican... just spreading the love, halfway.

mmhmmm there is a place that's local here- and my BF and I eat there almost every week- the guy knows us by name at this point- *kitten* is delicious.

nomnomnom I heart mexhican- I can eat it weekly- or 2x a week- regularly- i just love the combination of flavors. So savory.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    T-bone steaks.
  • dbmata
    It's funny, my wife is from El Salvador... and I'm like, oh this tamale is so good... and she's like nope. It's not right.

FUUUUUUU

208933.png
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Lard. Don't eat lard or spam anymore. Other than that, just fit within your calorie and macro goals if you can, and move more than you do currently.

were you eating it by the spoonful????

I mean I use lard to cook my popcorn- and all my veggies- I mean- nothing taste better than bacon grease sauteed veggies- seriously- that's amazing.

But- do you just ? um. eat it?

No actually I've never eaten it. I was just giving it as a possible example of a food to give up since the OP was looking for some.
  • JoRocka
    I'd give up a lot of things before I gave up lard.

that *kitten* is way to delicious to give up.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    You don't have to cut anything out. I mean if you had to, I would say energy drinks because most are either loaded with sugar and\or a ton of sodium. They may give you energy for a short period of time, but when it wears off, you crash and feel so tired you could fall asleep anywhere. At least that is how it works on me.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    cherith778 wrote: »
    If I was to cut a food completely out of my diet, what should it be? I.e chocolate, chips, energy drinks, ect.
    The ones with calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    drabbits3 wrote: »
    soda. anything with high fructose corn syrup. any of that packaged crap like Hostess and Little Debbie stuff. those things hardly count as food anyway. eat real food. chocolate chip cookies you baked yourself are so much better for you than all the chemicals and preservatives in Chips Ahoy for example. and fast food. more fat than food.

The problem with cooking food without HFCS and any "packaged crap" is you'll have to spend a lot of time farming. I'm all for baking my own chocolate chip cookies, but screw waiting for the cacao tree grow and be ready for harvest.

I'm in the "don't eat foods that your allergic to or you hate" camp.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    Nothing
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Anything that makes you ill and/or ain't worth the damn calories it's made of.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    I don't like to say "always" and "never", but I found that cutting waaayyy back on bread was helpful, because I was using it as a default food and eating it constantly. All the sodium and carbs were not doing me any favors. But I didn't cut it out completely; I still have my occasional hamburgers with a bun instead of without, and I still have pizza or a pocket sandwich when it fits my daily goal.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Don't cut anything out if you can. Maybe make things that you cannot be trusted around a 'only eat every now again food'. Like take me and a bag of Doritos chilli...we cannot be trusted in the same house together, it'll call me and I'll eat it...ALL OF IT, in one sitting.

Anyway...other than that eat all the food, in moderation to keep your sanity.

**wanders off in search of car keys to go find doritos in the shop...........