When I eat 1200 cals I put on weight

Options
15678911»

Replies

• thin2win777
    thin2win777 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »
    even if you're miscalculating, I doubt it's by half. have thyroid checked ever? report tsh #s back here if so!

EUGH. NO. NO. NO.

You are making a mockery of people with actual thyroid problems. Thyroid problems only make you gain a little bit of water weight, and that's it. Fat people need to stop using it as an excuse. Just come to terms with the fact that you overate and didn't exercise enough. That has nothing to do with your thyroid.
    Um ...

I have gained THIRTY-SIX POUNDS because of thyroid issues. I have Hashimoto's. Are you actually telling me that it is all water weight?

And I gained those THIRTY-SIX POUNDS weighing and measuring everything, eating 1,000-1,500 calories a day AND exercising regularly. This is after being thin almost my entire life, then gaining some weight, losing it and keeping it off for two full years.

Am I making a mockery of people with thyroid issues or do I get a pass because I actually have one myself?

Yeah, thank you!

To call people "rude" with personal and/or medical experience with thyroid issues is asinine. I gained right around the same, 30-40 lbs. "Post #s": meaning, if TSH is up there, 5,6,7,8, 9, 10, whatever, that person WILL HAVE A PROBLEM LOSING WEIGHT. It's science. Mockery? I've had a busted thyroid for many years and have treated others with parallel or similar conditions. I know how it works. OP should also opt for endocrinologist over PCP, if possible.

It shouldn't be used as an excuse to those that owe their poor habits the credit of the gain, but certain (many) endocrine issues have direct correlation with metabolism & weight, amongst many other areas.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    7aneena wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    popslice wrote: »

What medical conditions will cause you to gain weight if you are actually eating in a caloric deficit? Like if your TDEE IS 1800 and you eat 1400 you will gain weight.

As I mentioned, this can happen with endocrine disorders such as thyroid disease and PCOS.
    So if you have hypothyroidism or PCOS, you get treated and you eat in a caloric deficit you will still gain weight?

No, if you get treated and the blood tests shows the thyroid functioning at a normal level that pretty much puts you on par with someone who does not have hypothyroidism. PCOS and insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia are more complicated
    The point is, if someone has any of the conditions above but they are not aware and use numbers from online calculators to get their BMR and TDEE they may not lose weight. Their calculated numbers are higher than the actual BMR (due to the medical issues) therefore they are not eating in a deficit

So if the number calculated is actually lower than their true BMR if that person eats at an actual deficit, will they gain weight?

In theory they are not supposed to, and if it happens its probably not from the thyroid issue. Like I said PCOS and hyperinsulinemia are more complicated. How the body responds to sugar levels (in blood) in these conditions is very different from a healthy person. The body produces way more insulin that it should in response to the amount of food you ingest. The body's affinity to store fat is also increased, and the resistance to release fat storage also increases. I believe that is the reason some doctors advocate low carb and low glycimic index diets. Personally what worked for me was weight training and medication (Metformin).

So in a deficit where is the body pulling the energy it needs to keep going?

That's actually a good question, when you put it that way it makes me ever more confused LOL
    Anyway here's what I understood from reading about the excess insulin. CICO principle should always hold right? OK so when you ingest food your body release insulin (too much ), and although the insulin restores glycogen storage, its excess stimulates the liver to form fatty acids that are transported to adipose cells and stored as fat.

So I guess the answer is, the body used energy from food but the excess insulin promotes fat storage?
    You can read more http://www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/obpa2whyobpe.html
    The website wants to promote supplements so don't mind their products but they do cite research validating insulin role in obesity
    I only know enough about thyroid (as opposed to the others) to comment, but from experience, it IS possible to lose weight with untreated hypothyroidism. There is a point where you are eating less than you burn. In my case, that was between 500 and 700 calories a day (along with exercise). More than that and I maintained or gained weight.

It isn't sustainable and therefore, it's pretty much impossible to lose weight with hypothyroid (untreated).

I've also come to know that PCPs and GPs are terrible about properly diagnosing it and they miss a LOT of signs. You can have a "normal" TSH and still be hypothyroid. Anyone who is truly eating 1,200 calories a day (properly tracking) and gaining weight really does need to see an endocrinologist.

This is the thing. It isn't possible to lose. Theoretically, sure! Theoretically, you could eat 500 calories a day and lose weight. But that comes with it's own set of problems. Like being hungry, weak and dizzy.

Plus, the hypo state also increases your body's desire for energy, so all the time you're trying so hard to eat less, it's screaming for more.

No energy, can't poop, hair falling out and weight piling on. You're staying to eat 700 calories a day and exercise, lol. Nobody can do that.

It just isn't possible. If the problem is bad enough, you are just going to gain and that's that.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    All these people telling you you're not logging correctly...BUT even if you're off, you should NOT put on weight when you are restricting yourself that much.Your TDEE would be well above 1700 cals considering your stats and there's no way in hell that you're eating at a surplus of 1000 calories everyday,which is needed to gain a kilogram in a week.

Hell,you don't even need to consider the calorie count.If you are constantly eating less than your natural desire,you should atleast not GAIN further.Unless you are eating foods with very high calorie density,which you presumably aren't.

I think you definitely need medical advice.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Have we ever even established how much weight the OP supposedly put on and in what time frame?
  • TweedAddict
    TweedAddict Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When did this become a full blown discussion about hypothyroidism. Brb, all things revolve around that because I guess more people have it than don't.
    lavendah wrote: »
    All these people telling you you're not logging correctly...BUT even if you're off, you should NOT put on weight when you are restricting yourself that much.Your TDEE would be well above 1700 cals considering your stats and there's no way in hell that you're eating at a surplus of 1000 calories everyday,which is needed to gain a kilogram in a week.

Hell,you don't even need to consider the calorie count.If you are constantly eating less than your natural desire,you should atleast not GAIN further.Unless you are eating foods with very high calorie density,which you presumably aren't.

Back at doctors today, even though I went yesterday, I had 20min slot today so could talk things in more detail. Basically what the doctor thinks is happening is my cyst in the pituitary gland is knocking my thyroid about. I had a scan last year and these issues weren't present then, so she's leaning towards the cyst effecting me. I gained the weight due to pregnancy, unfortunately I lost my baby, due to preemlasica (sp?) and my sticky blood issue. Still now over sure of exactly what type of sticky blood I've got, or exactly how the cyst is behaving. But off for more tests, and hopefully I can get treated.

Thank you all for your help
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    popslice wrote: »

What medical conditions will cause you to gain weight if you are actually eating in a caloric deficit? Like if your TDEE IS 1800 and you eat 1400 you will gain weight.

As I mentioned, this can happen with endocrine disorders such as thyroid disease and PCOS.
    So if you have hypothyroidism or PCOS, you get treated and you eat in a caloric deficit you will still gain weight?

No, if you get treated and the blood tests shows the thyroid functioning at a normal level that pretty much puts you on par with someone who does not have hypothyroidism. PCOS and insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia are more complicated
    The point is, if someone has any of the conditions above but they are not aware and use numbers from online calculators to get their BMR and TDEE they may not lose weight. Their calculated numbers are higher than the actual BMR (due to the medical issues) therefore they are not eating in a deficit

So if the number calculated is actually lower than their true BMR if that person eats at an actual deficit, will they gain weight?

In theory they are not supposed to, and if it happens its probably not from the thyroid issue. Like I said PCOS and hyperinsulinemia are more complicated. How the body responds to sugar levels (in blood) in these conditions is very different from a healthy person. The body produces way more insulin that it should in response to the amount of food you ingest. The body's affinity to store fat is also increased, and the resistance to release fat storage also increases. I believe that is the reason some doctors advocate low carb and low glycimic index diets. Personally what worked for me was weight training and medication (Metformin).

So in a deficit where is the body pulling the energy it needs to keep going?

That's actually a good question, when you put it that way it makes me ever more confused LOL
    Anyway here's what I understood from reading about the excess insulin. CICO principle should always hold right? OK so when you ingest food your body release insulin (too much ), and although the insulin restores glycogen storage, its excess stimulates the liver to form fatty acids that are transported to adipose cells and stored as fat.

So I guess the answer is, the body used energy from food but the excess insulin promotes fat storage?
    You can read more http://www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/obpa2whyobpe.html
    The website wants to promote supplements so don't mind their products but they do cite research validating insulin role in obesity
    I only know enough about thyroid (as opposed to the others) to comment, but from experience, it IS possible to lose weight with untreated hypothyroidism. There is a point where you are eating less than you burn. In my case, that was between 500 and 700 calories a day (along with exercise). More than that and I maintained or gained weight.

It isn't sustainable and therefore, it's pretty much impossible to lose weight with hypothyroid (untreated).

I've also come to know that PCPs and GPs are terrible about properly diagnosing it and they miss a LOT of signs. You can have a "normal" TSH and still be hypothyroid. Anyone who is truly eating 1,200 calories a day (properly tracking) and gaining weight really does need to see an endocrinologist.

This is the thing. It isn't possible to lose. Theoretically, sure! Theoretically, you could eat 500 calories a day and lose weight. But that comes with it's own set of problems. Like being hungry, weak and dizzy.

Plus, the hypo state also increases your body's desire for energy, so all the time you're trying so hard to eat less, it's screaming for more.

No energy, can't poop, hair falling out and weight piling on. You're staying to eat 700 calories a day and exercise, lol. Nobody can do that.

It just isn't possible. If the problem is bad enough, you are just going to gain and that's that.
    I wasn't saying people SHOULD do it. I was pointing out there IS a point where you CAN lose. But, like you said, it's nearly impossible to sustain it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When did this become a full blown discussion about hypothyroidism. Brb, all things revolve around that because I guess more people have it than don't.
    Certainly, more people have it than know they have it.

Way back earlier in the thread, I suggested it as a possibility assuming the OP was actually being honest in her logging and recommended she make sure of that first.

But if she is truly gaining on 1,200 she probably has a medical issue. I went five years without a diagnosis, not because I didn't have almost every symptom or because my TSH wasn't high, but because my doctor is apparently an idiot. I finally saw an endo last week and she was appalled that I hadn't been diagnosed and treated a long time ago. I was told lab results were normal when they weren't and that I DIDN'T have hypo because symptoms that I now know are symptoms of hypo "couldn't be symptoms of hypo." I listened to my doctor when I should have demanded a referral. So five years later I'm up nearly 40 pounds. If I'd been treated them, I wouldn't be up nearly 40 pounds.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Seriously, what is a packet?

I figured it was another version of the Hot Pocket-esque pocket.
    ah, that makes sense. i was imagining something not compatible with eating.

I think in the UK a 'packet' is any container (or possibly just a bag). Like, a 'packet of crisps' is a bag of chips, but a 'packet of biscuits' is a box of cookies. So I'm thinking she meant prepackaged food.

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So I've just come to this thread so do I have it correct

The Op is not losing weight her diary is inaccurate which can be seen by the half filled days and the use of generic entries and randomness of some of the amounts. Even though the logging is inaccurate she must have a medical condition and be defying science because it cannot be as simple as she's eating far more than she thinks because it always comes down to a medical condition not the simplest and most logical reason people are eating more than they expend. Is that about it then?
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Its probably just water weight I wouldn't be to concerned if you go up a pound on a 1200cal diet. If you had a lot of sodium this probably caused you to bloat and show it on the scale
  • TweedAddict
    TweedAddict Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    So I've just come to this thread so do I have it correct

The Op is not losing weight her diary is inaccurate which can be seen by the half filled days and the use of generic entries and randomness of some of the amounts. Even though the logging is inaccurate she must have a medical condition and be defying science because it cannot be as simple as she's eating far more than she thinks because it always comes down to a medical condition not the simplest and most logical reason people are eating more than they expend. Is that about it then?

Days where there is little food being eaten, are genuine days when I've had that amount of food. It's as accurate as I can get it. Plus I do have a medical condition, I've got few issues to be honest. Yes I've got depressed and put on weight so the next I've stayed away from food. Doctors are addressing this issue too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    lavendah wrote: »

Back at doctors today, even though I went yesterday, I had 20min slot today so could talk things in more detail. Basically what the doctor thinks is happening is my cyst in the pituitary gland is knocking my thyroid about. I had a scan last year and these issues weren't present then, so she's leaning towards the cyst effecting me. I gained the weight due to pregnancy, unfortunately I lost my baby, due to preemlasica (sp?) and my sticky blood issue. Still now over sure of exactly what type of sticky blood I've got, or exactly how the cyst is behaving. But off for more tests, and hopefully I can get treated.

Thank you all for your help
    Rachel,

Good luck on your doctor visits. It sounds like you have learned more about what is going on with you. Keep us posted, please.