Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
I needed to get that off my chest.

Did you know that most of our chocolate is made in West Africa??? :o

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Your point is.

Do you think they will be squeezing all that Ebola blood and body fluids in the chocolate mixture. If that is your fear, stop eating chocolate and save yourself all this stress.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've had it, it's no big deal. Didn't even have a day off. I think it's a bit like man-flu.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you live but EV-D68 seems more of an immediate threat. *shrugs*
  • Tiamo719
    Options
    Well Happy Tuesday to all of you too, sheesh!

I can't help it, I freak about these things. I will keep my freaky thoughts to myself from now on. :p
  • refuseresist
    Options
    All epidemics are just fear mongering. Until you get it. And DIIIIIEEEEE!!! :o
  • Alluminati
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »

I can't help it, I freak about these things. I will keep my freaky thoughts to myself from now on. :p
    No one is saying you shouldn't freak. They are just giving you a rational context to perhaps alleviate your fear.

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Honestly, any widespread disease freaks me out. BUT, I wash my hands, don't let people breathe on me, and clean the equipment at my gym before and after I use it. I haven't gotten sick in a while barring minor stuffy noses and ear infections which I'm prone to since basically birth...

It'll be ok.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I think it's on the back of most people's minds right now ... at least anyone with access to news and or internet. It's frightening. Unless you touch someone's fluids that has it, you will be fine. It's a horrifying virus though. I can see why you're afraid.
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    And before Ebola it was Swine Flu. And before that, Bird Flu. Soon you'll see a new "breakthrough drug" that prevents the spread of Ebola, once everyone is good and scared. Our drug manufacturer saviors will make it available - and watch the money roll in.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Ripfit138 wrote: »
    And before Ebola it was Swine Flu. And before that, Bird Flu. Soon you'll see a new "breakthrough drug" that prevents the spread of Ebola, once everyone is good and scared. Our drug manufacturer saviors will make it available - and watch the money roll in.

here we go

• refuseresist
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Ripfit138 wrote: »

here we go

I'm out
  • Tiamo719
    edited October 2014
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    Tiamo719 wrote: »

So what you really wanted was for people to validate your baseless fears? Shouldn't you feel relieved that people talked some sense to you and you don't need to worry so much?

Is this about legitimate fear or about wanting attention?

Regardless, you're not going to get ebola. So the good news is you can relax.

I love attention! But only good attention. I was just reading about the nurse that contracted it and no one knows how since she apparently followed protocol.

I guess I'm just a worrier. I was like this too with West Nile.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Ebola is tragic and I understand some fear however there are many other ways to die that are much more likely. Ebola has killed around 4000 people worldwide (most of them in Africa).

Here's a few numbers for US deaths:
    -Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including an estimated 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure
    (CDC website)
    -40,000 deaths from breast cancer (cancer.org)
    -30,000-40,000 deaths from auto accident each year (various sites)
    -3 women in the US die each day as a result of domestic abuse (Montana Legal Services Association)
    -4 to 5 children die each day as a result of child abuse (childhelp.org)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    things definitely are changing........globally..........I wish the nurse the best and try to stay informed
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Are you worried about a chocolate shortage?
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am a prehospital provider and it scares me. Ebola has actually been an admittedly irrational fear since I read The Hot Zone some 20 years ago. I spend a good part of my day covered in some kind of body fluid from strangers. Add to that the fact that my small little town in rural NW Montana has a YWAM base...a place to train and support missionaries to/from all over the world. AND, one of our regional hospitals is set up as one of the 5 in the country with appropriate isolation suites to handle Ebola patients. That next sick call or flu-like symptoms call I run, which used to be routine, will have me reaching for a full-on hazmat suit. The more the press tells me not to worry? THE MORE I WORRY!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'd be more freaked out by a positive pregnancy test.