Your 'Ah-Ha' Moment

I obviously have far too much time on my hands as another question out of sheer curiosity has been nagging away at me ... so here goes. :D
  • When was your 'AH-HA' moment that made you decide, 'ahhhm okay it's time to do something about this weight?'
  • What made a difference this time which differed from previous attempts to lose weight &/or get healthy? (motivation)
  • How much impact do you feel that a correct mindset has on the level of achievement?

Here I'll start this one:
  • My 'AH-HA' moment was when I saw that my blood glucose level was 101 mg/dL and the normal range was 70-100 mg/dL.
  • My motivation this time was not about making that silly little # on the scale go down, but it was about fighting off an impending diabetic future if I did nothing. The thought of all the complications that comes with diabetes. ie. kidney functions, amputations, blindness, etc. petrified me.
  • For me, the mindset of 'oh I need to get healthy' rather than 'lose a few pounds' oddly took the pressure of me to 'loose X weight by X amount of time.' I looked at it as I have a lifetime to continue to reach for my goal. So the weeks where I was loosing mere fractions of a pound didn't bother me because progress was progress. <3

Replies

• shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    sushi549 wrote: »
    • When was your 'AH-HA' moment that made you decide, 'ahhhm okay it's time to do something about this weight?'
      [
    • What made a difference this time which differed from previous attempts to lose weight &/or get healthy? (motivation)
    • How much impact do you feel that a correct mindset has on the level of achievement?

I started noticing back pain from the heavy weight I was carrying around. I could deal with and had dealt with all the previous weight complications (diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea) with no problem - but something that threatened my mobility? That was a big smack in the face wake up call

This time, I focused solely on changing my diet over exercise (I had lost weight twice before, primarily on exercise - but stop exercising and keep eating the same way made all the weight come back) So this weight loss trip was solely focused on changing the way I eat.

The correct mindset has everything to do with it. You can't do it with out the work and willingness to change and learn.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    edited October 2014
    sushi549 wrote: »
    I obviously have far too much time on my hands as another question out of sheer curiosity has been nagging away at me ... so here goes. :D

1. When I realised I weighed almost as much as I did when I was 38 weeks pregnant, except it was almost 4-5 months later, and I was still wearing maternity jeans but with no baby.
    2. I lost 20lbs on MFP before - the only difference this time is that I am actively working out my emotional eating issues. Before I was purely doing CICO, and it worked while I was on MFP, but when I stopped using MFP, I went right back to my old eating ways. Now I want to train myself to eyeball portions, and control my urge to overeat when I feel depressed.
    3. Mindset and mindfulness is everything.