Eating far below BMR and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Check your sodium, it's most likely off the chart with all of that frozen diet food. Swap one packaged meal a day out for something homemade and keep it low-sodium. Sodium -> water retention -> weight stall.

Could you suggest something easy to prepare? I have so little time these days. It's why those diet meals are so convenient

Yogurt and granola, taco salad - click around in the Recipes forum here, there are tons of good links and recommendations. I'm the same way (busy and not into cooking), so I make a big batch of protein every Sunday and put it in salads for dinner every night.

those actually sound pretty awesome. I'll check them out thanks. sounds like this site has a lot of resources I should have been using

Buy chicken. Cook chicken in large batch. Eat chicken throughout week. I know you like chicken, because 99% of Lean Cuisine/Healthy Choice meals are chicken in some form or another.

Go to frozen foods section. Buy vegetables in microwavable packages. Read the label for calorie counts; some are just veggies and others with sauces can be calorie bombs. Cook veggies in microwave. Eat.

Go to rice section. Buy 90 second steamable rice packages - they come in all sorts of flavors and some have quinoa as well. Heat in microwave. Eat.

Boom. Protein, veggies, carbs, fat, nutrients, happiness, and little food preparation skills required.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I guess this is worth mentioning.

But before I do, let me clarify (because I need to clarify this or else you guys will insist on taking it the wrong way and continue your rudeness) that this isn't me disagreeing. I'm just stating it in case it's relevant. Like listing all your symptoms to a doctor.

I don't feel any lethargy. Don't have any hair loss or brittle nails.

I actually feel really great from 1000 calories/day. I play tennis and table tennis a lot. Pretty much every day. I'm really fast. No problem running my 2-3 milers at a 7-8'ish pace. I've always loved running and tennis and ping pong.

I don't have any sleep problems either. I just feel fine.

I'm not saying 1000 isn't dangerous, unhealthy, risky, etc.

Just mentioning how I feel on the 1000.

Okay then why is 1000 calories dangerous and unhealthy?

Why is it recommended that women get at least 1200?

I honestly don't know why 1000 is unhealthy in my case, given my health and how I feel. But everyone and everything says that it is and unlike what a lot of jerks have said in this thread I am not a know-it-all and am perfectly happy putting a little faith in other people's expertise on this issue.

I imagine the primary problem for me might be that I'll burn through way too much lean mass.

I'm definitely considering upping it to 2000.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weight naturally fluctuates up to five pounds from day to day. So if you weigh 206-207, you would eat everything, a few days later at 213 you would be strict again?

Yep that's how I would do it.

Some days I'd weigh less than normal due to water/bowel/glucose/whatever fluctuations and cheat when I maybe shouldn't.

But for each day like that, there'd be a day where I'd weigh more than normal due to those things and diet when I maybe didn't need to.

It would average out to making sure I maintain the same weight.

Maybe I'll cheat one day and have to diet a week before I'm back below the weight.

And maybe I'd have a period where I was under weight a few days in a row and get to cheat on all of them. (probably followed by the former period where I needed to diet again for several days in a row)

Should average out I think.

I'm afraid you may have some disordered thinking re weight loss. Have you run this plan past your GP?

No. Probably because on some level I know he'll say some of the same stuff that the polite people in this thread have been saying about how unhealthy it is.

I probably should though.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I know you like chicken,

Word I love it lol
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Go to frozen foods section. Buy vegetables in microwavable packages. Read the label for calorie counts; some are just veggies and others with sauces can be calorie bombs. Cook veggies in microwave. Eat.

Go to rice section. Buy 90 second steamable rice packages - they come in all sorts of flavors and some have quinoa as well. Heat in microwave. Eat.

Boom. Protein, veggies, carbs, fat, nutrients, happiness, and little food preparation skills required.
    Will do. Thanks
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

But before I do, let me clarify (because I need to clarify this or else you guys will insist on taking it the wrong way and continue your rudeness) that this isn't me disagreeing. I'm just stating it in case it's relevant. Like listing all your symptoms to a doctor.

I actually feel really great from 1000 calories/day. I play tennis and table tennis a lot. Pretty much every day. I'm really fast. No problem running my 2-3 milers at a 7-8'ish pace. I've always loved running and tennis and ping pong.

I honestly don't know why 1000 is unhealthy in my case, given my health and how I feel. But everyone and everything says that it is and unlike what a lot of jerks have said in this thread I am not a know-it-all and am perfectly happy putting a little faith in other people's expertise on this issue.

I imagine the primary problem for me might be that I'll burn through way too much lean mass.

all those things I mention will happen along with the loss of LBM and actual organ damage....
  • geniusgamer
    Options

all those things I mention will happen along with the loss of LBM and actual organ damage....

Just out of curiosity, why didn't it happen when I went from 320 to 200 in 11 months @ 1000/day? I had zero healthy problems. Just got more and more naturally athletic as the weight went down. And felt really awesome.

Was it just that I had so ridiculously much more weight to lose then than I do now?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Since everything everyone says is wrong, just keep doing what you're doing and trust you're doing it right and that weight will come off. There you go. Problem solved.

Honestly, even if you're over estimating your portions magically and eating more than you think you are, you're eating so far below maintenance that even if you're actually eating 2000 calories instead of 1000, you'll still lose weight.

Give it more time I suppose.

What the hell is with you guys? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm agreeing with most of everything you say. And the things I'm not agreeing with aren't necessarily me disagreeing...

THEY'RE ME NOT UNDERSTANDING

What is so hard to understand about that? Jesus christ

It was a joke, sheesh.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    Since everything everyone says is wrong, just keep doing what you're doing and trust you're doing it right and that weight will come off. There you go. Problem solved.

Honestly, even if you're over estimating your portions magically and eating more than you think you are, you're eating so far below maintenance that even if you're actually eating 2000 calories instead of 1000, you'll still lose weight.

What the hell is with you guys? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm agreeing with most of everything you say. And the things I'm not agreeing with aren't necessarily me disagreeing...

It was a joke, sheesh.

Well thanks for letting me know. Some people here are being legit rude though. Sorry
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Just out of curiosity, why didn't it happen when I went from 320 to 200 in 11 months @ 1000/day? I had zero healthy problems. Just got more and more naturally athletic as the weight went down. And felt really awesome.

Was it just that I had so ridiculously much more weight to lose then than I do now?

It probably did and you didn't realize it...now that I am eating lots of food, ensuring my protien is good, fats are good and I get enough carbs for energy my nails are hard as rocks my hair is thick (and my hair dresser noted that)

As for the internal you wouldn't notice it until you became too ill (ie anorexia) and even then you probably wouldn't notice.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/521480
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1083497

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/very-low-calorie-diets.aspx

And speaking from personal experience...the one time I didn't eat enough I noticed...dizzyness, lack of energy and it took 2 days of good eating to get over it...

As well peope who are considered obese can get away with it for a while...but not long term.
  • geniusgamer
    Options

It probably did and you didn't realize it...now that I am eating lots of food, ensuring my protien is good, fats are good and I get enough carbs for energy my nails are hard as rocks my hair is thick (and my hair dresser noted that)

As for the internal you wouldn't notice it until you became too ill (ie anorexia) and even then you probably wouldn't notice.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/521480
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1083497

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/very-low-calorie-diets.aspx

And speaking from personal experience...the one time I didn't eat enough I noticed...dizzyness, lack of energy and it took 2 days of good eating to get over it...

As well peope who are considered obese can get away with it for a while...but not long term.

The only thing I've noticed is that my hair grows a little slower. I'm not 100% sure though. It grows really fast normally already. Nails.. stupidly hard. I have to soak them in water to cut and even then it's annoyingly hard.

Here's one thing though, my gallbladder

I never even knew what a gallbladder was before the big weight loss. Then when I got down to 200 I started getting gall bladder attacks after fatty cheat meals. Some of them were crippling. Put me on the floor type of stuff.

So I had it removed and haven't had any issues since.

I'm not sure if that was caused by too low of calories or just losing a lot of weight.

Either way, I don't dispute that my caloric intake is probably unhealthy and I'm considering upping it, especially protein
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

It was a joke, sheesh.

Well thanks for letting me know. Some people here are being legit rude though. Sorry
    Lighten up Francis.
    I think that 1000 kcal diet may be thinning your skin. ;)

• geniusgamer
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

It was a joke, sheesh.

Lighten up Francis.
    I think that 1000 kcal diet may be thinning your skin. ;)

WHAT THE F*** DUDE SERIOUSLY

j/k. that was a good one
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    How often do you guys weigh? I hate weighing every day. Half the days I feel good, half depressed
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Every other week, on payday. Never depressing!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How often do you guys weigh? I hate weighing every day. Half the days I feel good, half depressed

I weigh once a month, but I've been doing this for a while so I know my routine works and just need to check in once in a while. When I was newer to the weight loss game I weighed 2-3 times a week max and once a week min.

• Robinvan38
    Robinvan38 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    change ratio of carbs to protein until you see results (increase protein and decrease carbs). You should be able to tolerate more calories without weight gain this way too. Also might consider having hormone levels (thyroid), or testosterone checked.
  • geniusgamer
    Options

I weigh once a month, but I've been doing this for a while so I know my routine works and just need to check in once in a while. When I was newer to the weight loss game I weighed 2-3 times a week max and once a week min.

Yeah that's exactly the reason I'm afraid of weighing infrequently. In case whatever I'm doing isn't working, then I'll have a really rude awakening when I weigh
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    Robinvan38 wrote: »
    change ratio of carbs to protein until you see results (increase protein and decrease carbs). You should be able to tolerate more calories without weight gain this way too. Also might consider having hormone levels (thyroid), or testosterone checked.

I've considering trying to find a way to fake a hypothyroidism diagnosis so I could get T3 supplements and eat more. Just to eat more lol.

But truly I had my thyroid levels checked recently for something else and everything looked good. I even asked specifically about T3/T4 and GP said I was solid. Even a little above average for my height/weight/age/gender/LBM
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week because it fluctuates anyways. Others have said it but I will repeat, you should be eating 2,000 calories a day for your size. A thousand calories is way too low and you are risking complications. I am part of a Bariatric surgery support group and some of us after surgery have trouble hitting the minimum calorie goal 1,200 with also a minimum percentage of protein. Believe me, there are unpleasant side effects if you don't eat enough. Also mentioned here.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Don't be surprised when your hair starts falling off eating only 1,000 calories a day

eqimc7cmbc67.jpg