Eating far below BMR and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• geniusgamer
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    The elaboration is just following the MFP recommendations on how we log diet and exercise to lose 1 pound per week.
    And I had to tweak exercise burn and food intake calorie counts to find my zone.
    The data base of foods and exercises got me close. I lost around 90 pounds and totally transformed my health.
    How does MyFitnessPal work?
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1026720-how-does-myfitnesspal-work-

Good Luck!

Thanks I'll look into this. I hadn't really thought of this site as more than a forum (since it came up when I googled for weight loss forums to ask about my problem)

I'll try out the plan it makes for me

But I think I want to lose more than 1 pound a week. Would 2 be unhealthy or ok?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

You are not if you are eating 1000 calories. Stop lying LOL

Wait a second. What are you saying I'm lying about?

Original thread.......

"This is one of my main takeaways from this thread. I am concerned about losing lean mass and other health problems."

You are concerned about losing lean muscle mass....yet you defend eating far below your BMR

You are concerned about health....yet you defend eating far below your BMR

• joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I suspect ANY food that your prepare yourself will be better than the packaged stuff ... start simple, weigh everything... and eat a bit more calories ...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    The elaboration is just following the MFP recommendations on how we log diet and exercise to lose 1 pound per week.
    And I had to tweak exercise burn and food intake calorie counts to find my zone.
    The data base of foods and exercises got me close. I lost around 90 pounds and totally transformed my health.
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1026720-how-does-myfitnesspal-work-

Good Luck!

Thanks I'll look into this. I hadn't really thought of this site as more than a forum (since it came up when I googled for weight loss forums to ask about my problem)

But I think I want to lose more than 1 pound a week. Would 2 be unhealthy or ok?

Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Since everything everyone says is wrong, just keep doing what you're doing and trust you're doing it right and that weight will come off. There you go. Problem solved.

Honestly, even if you're over estimating your portions magically and eating more than you think you are, you're eating so far below maintenance that even if you're actually eating 2000 calories instead of 1000, you'll still lose weight.

Give it more time I suppose.
  • jasonconrey
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested this, but those meals that you're eating are very typically very high in sodium, which will lead to water retention. Water retention could be a huge detriment to your goal. But, I feel your pain, I'm in week 2 and haven't dropped a pound, and I'm well below maintenance calories too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

Not with the amount you want to lose it would be "not reasonable"

And I agree with the others eat more food...

Perspective 42 (almost) year old woman eating 2x what you do and I lose on average 1/2lb a week and have consistently for over 18months...

you are going to lose LBM and have a gammit of other health issues if you continue down this road...from thinning hair, brittle hair, brittle nails, no energy, lethargy and then it gets worse..
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Original thread.......

"This is one of my main takeaways from this thread. I am concerned about losing lean mass and other health problems."

You are concerned about losing lean muscle mass....yet you defend eating far below your BMR

Don't go accusing someone of lying just because they might be wrong about something.

I'm not exactly defending eating below my BMR. I ONLY said that I don't understand why eating below my BMR will cause me to lose less than if I ate more.

I never disagreed that eating below my BMR was unhealthy. I know it is and agree completely.

All this criticism and advice is fine. But when you start flat out accusing me of lying just because I don't know as much about this as a lot of you, then you are being a completely unreasonable person.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love using fish fillets that are individually frozen! I make 4 oz salmon all the time in my toaster oven using a bit of seasoning mix or simple maple/soy/garlic marinade. Yummy and very easy.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Since everything everyone says is wrong, just keep doing what you're doing and trust you're doing it right and that weight will come off. There you go. Problem solved.

Honestly, even if you're over estimating your portions magically and eating more than you think you are, you're eating so far below maintenance that even if you're actually eating 2000 calories instead of 1000, you'll still lose weight.

Give it more time I suppose.

What the hell is with you guys? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm agreeing with most of everything you say. And the things I'm not agreeing with aren't necessarily me disagreeing...

THEY'RE ME NOT UNDERSTANDING

What is so hard to understand about that? Jesus christ
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Original thread.......

At 6'3" 230lbs, simply eating below his BMR isn't really an issue. It comes down to how much he's eating below his BMR. BMR isn't a magical threshold you can never cross if you want to maintain lean mass, even if there are lots of confused people that seem to think this way. 1000 calories is very likely too little for a variety of reasons, but not simply because it's below his BMR.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    I love using fish fillets that are individually frozen! I make 4 oz salmon all the time in my toaster oven using a bit of seasoning mix or simple maple/soy/garlic marinade. Yummy and very easy.

I hate cooked fish but I'm willing to try this just because it seems reliable (to measure the calories and macros and all that)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Check your sodium, it's most likely off the chart with all of that frozen diet food. Swap one packaged meal a day out for something homemade and keep it low-sodium. Sodium -> water retention -> weight stall.

Could you suggest something easy to prepare? I have so little time these days. It's why those diet meals are so convenient

Yogurt and granola, taco salad - click around in the Recipes forum here, there are tons of good links and recommendations. I'm the same way (busy and not into cooking), so I make a big batch of protein every Sunday and put it in salads for dinner every night.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

I would not be OK with 2, because I'd lose too much muscle. 1 pound is cool...that's 52 per year!
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    I guess this is worth mentioning.

But before I do, let me clarify (because I need to clarify this or else you guys will insist on taking it the wrong way and continue your rudeness) that this isn't me disagreeing. I'm just stating it in case it's relevant. Like listing all your symptoms to a doctor.

I don't feel any lethargy. Don't have any hair loss or brittle nails.

I actually feel really great from 1000 calories/day. I play tennis and table tennis a lot. Pretty much every day. I'm really fast. No problem running my 2-3 milers at a 7-8'ish pace. I've always loved running and tennis and ping pong.

I don't have any sleep problems either. I just feel fine.

I'm not saying 1000 isn't dangerous, unhealthy, risky, etc.

Just mentioning how I feel on the 1000.
  • Jlee197853
    Jlee197853 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a 45 yo male, 5'11" and weight of 230#. I am eating 1460 calories a day, and still losing weight. You are trying to push it too fast. To be healthy, you should only be losing 1-2 lbs a week.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    Check your sodium, it's most likely off the chart with all of that frozen diet food. Swap one packaged meal a day out for something homemade and keep it low-sodium. Sodium -> water retention -> weight stall.

Could you suggest something easy to prepare? I have so little time these days. It's why those diet meals are so convenient

Yogurt and granola, taco salad - click around in the Recipes forum here, there are tons of good links and recommendations. I'm the same way (busy and not into cooking), so I make a big batch of protein every Sunday and put it in salads for dinner every night.

those actually sound pretty awesome. I'll check them out thanks. sounds like this site has a lot of resources I should have been using
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    I would not be OK with 2, because I'd lose too much muscle. 1 pound is cool...that's 52 per year!

Do you mind me asking your height? You seem to have a really high BMR (could also be a lot of muscle. i don't have much)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I guess this is worth mentioning.

But before I do, let me clarify (because I need to clarify this or else you guys will insist on taking it the wrong way and continue your rudeness) that this isn't me disagreeing. I'm just stating it in case it's relevant. Like listing all your symptoms to a doctor.

I don't feel any lethargy. Don't have any hair loss or brittle nails.

I actually feel really great from 1000 calories/day. I play tennis and table tennis a lot. Pretty much every day. I'm really fast. No problem running my 2-3 milers at a 7-8'ish pace. I've always loved running and tennis and ping pong.

I don't have any sleep problems either. I just feel fine.

I'm not saying 1000 isn't dangerous, unhealthy, risky, etc.

Just mentioning how I feel on the 1000.

Okay then why is 1000 calories dangerous and unhealthy?

Why is it recommended that women get at least 1200?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weight naturally fluctuates up to five pounds from day to day. So if you weigh 206-207, you would eat everything, a few days later at 213 you would be strict again?

Yep that's how I would do it.

Some days I'd weigh less than normal due to water/bowel/glucose/whatever fluctuations and cheat when I maybe shouldn't.

But for each day like that, there'd be a day where I'd weigh more than normal due to those things and diet when I maybe didn't need to.

It would average out to making sure I maintain the same weight.

Maybe I'll cheat one day and have to diet a week before I'm back below the weight.

And maybe I'd have a period where I was under weight a few days in a row and get to cheat on all of them. (probably followed by the former period where I needed to diet again for several days in a row)

Should average out I think.

I'm afraid you may have some disordered thinking re weight loss. Have you run this plan past your GP?