Ebola is freaking me out!!

Options

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    its all media hype, sad part it really can make people nervous.....just look how the stock market is reacting..........
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    chadya07 wrote: »
    someone called me today and started telling me about how the government is lying about ebola not being airborn and that it must spread easier than they say but they just want us to not panic...

but i dont get that. if it were a new virus, maybe they could make up facts about it... but its not like they could go to every internet site, medical journal, and everyones brain who knows, and change the facts about a virus that has been around for years...

she said she saw it on the internet so it must be true.

i am not freaked out at this time, because no point in freaking out really, what good does it do? . i am not one of those people who would survive an apocalypse. i am more like that couple on titanic that just held hands and laid in the bed and waited.

No offense, but the person who told you that, is very gullible and has got that info off some scaremongerer. If it was airborne, with the amount of people that got it, the whole world would of been infected by now. It's been around since Feb.

Actually, it's been around since 1976.

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    53444883.jpg
  • trinatrina1984
    Options
    KLQXZsH.jpg
  • trinatrina1984
    Options
    200.gif
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    200.gif
    omfg. winner.

• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    Next it'll be the black plague...now THAT *kitten* is scary!

Don't eat dead marmots you find in China. You'll be fine.

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just because I don't think it's been said, breaking protocol by overuse of Personal Protective Equipment may have been what caused those 2 nurses to contract Ebola. They were trying to be extra careful and therefore put on 3 pairs of gloves and multiple gowns. Using so much PPE makes it harder for you to put it on as well as remove. This increases the risk of exposure.

It's kind of like wearing 2 condoms to be twice as safe, and friction makes them break. Use the equipment as it's meant to be used.
    http://mashable.com/2014/10/16/texas-nurses-ebola-protective-gear/
    "These are good, dedicated people who worried about themselves and their families and they were trying to protect themselves better, but in fact by putting on more layers of gloves or other protective clothing, it becomes much harder to put them on, it becomes much harder to take them off," Frieden said Wednesday.

"And the risk of contamination during the process of taking these gloves off gets much higher. That's true for several different areas of the body," he added.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Some Fear Ebola Outbreak Could Make Nation Turn to Science
    http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/fear-ebola-outbreak-make-nation-turn-science

(humor)
  • Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Some Fear Ebola Outbreak Could Make Nation Turn to Science
    http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/fear-ebola-outbreak-make-nation-turn-science

(humor)

Oh that's just wonderful!!!!!
    But for reals.

Sadly, not enough people will turn to science. Too many chicken little's. :)

• vitosmo
    vitosmo Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    All epidemics are just fear mongering. Until you get it. And DIIIIIEEEEE!!! :o

like in "All wars are just fear mongering. Until you get it (or get there). And DIIIIIEEEEE!!!"

• EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    crepes_ wrote: »
    Just because I don't think it's been said, breaking protocol by overuse of Personal Protective Equipment may have been what caused those 2 nurses to contract Ebola. They were trying to be extra careful and therefore put on 3 pairs of gloves and multiple gowns. Using so much PPE makes it harder for you to put it on as well as remove. This increases the risk of exposure.

It's kind of like wearing 2 condoms to be twice as safe, and friction makes them break. Use the equipment as it's meant to be used.
    http://mashable.com/2014/10/16/texas-nurses-ebola-protective-gear/
    "These are good, dedicated people who worried about themselves and their families and they were trying to protect themselves better, but in fact by putting on more layers of gloves or other protective clothing, it becomes much harder to put them on, it becomes much harder to take them off," Frieden said Wednesday.

"And the risk of contamination during the process of taking these gloves off gets much higher. That's true for several different areas of the body," he added.

Using too much PPE shouldn't be a problem for long...tried to place an order for impervious gowns, masks, sleeves and shoe covers early last month, before all the hype in the US...all on "indefinite manufacturer backorder." No chance of doubling up for us first responders...we can't even get the supplies for "proper" use.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    OK, So the healthcare workers in Texas screwed up in a lot of ways. They should not have sent Duncan away in the first place, they should not have treated him in Dallas when they realized he had Ebola as they were not set up for that. And I'm not sure what they did wrong to have nurses getting it, but they made a lot of mistakes. Then the nurse was flying after already seeing an elevated fever... the TX healthcare workers keep screwing up. But I think if people stop screwing up, this can be contained to prevent further spread in the US.

Now everyone else needs to calm down and think rationally. I just had a couple people tell me this morning that everybody traveling from a country that has had ebola (including the US) should have to be quarantined for 21 days before traveling, then fly on a plane that is setup for biocontainment, and vehicles should also be made into bubbles for this stuff. So if I want to fly from Omaha to Seattle, I would have to go to biocontainment for 3 weeks, then fly in a special plane, then get in special cars, and then do whatever I'm going to do in Seattle... then go back to quarantine for 3 weeks, get on special plane, get in special car, and go home. This is just getting crazy.

If all of the media hype and irrational thoughts fueled the same type of response to cancer, heart disease, and other things that kill a lot of Americans (guns included... I know I'm going to get a lot of negative responses, but it is true even though I own firearms for both hunting and protection); then we would all be living much longer and more prosperous lives.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
  • steveashley1969
    steveashley1969 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    9q85sy2tvz8k.jpg
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    It is okay to be nervous about something as deadly as Ebola. However, if you follow universal precautions, you should be able to keep yourself healthy. If it makes you feel better, go to K-Mart (or your favorite big box store) and buy yourself hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, gloves, and masks. If anyone is rude enough to ask, tell them you have rheumatoid arthritis and your infusions reduce your bodies immune system. This will also help protect you from cold viruses, flu viruses, etc. Personally, I just keep trying to eat healthy, and follow instructions from the CDC when scheduling sick patients. Please try not to worry yourself sick, but don't get lazy either.
  • trinatrina1984
    Options
    200.gif
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My husband just came out to tell me that Taylor Swift has dumped more Americans than Americans have died from Ebola. Not sure if he is worried about being dumped by her now.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    It is okay to be nervous about something as deadly as Ebola. However, if you follow universal precautions, you should be able to keep yourself healthy. If it makes you feel better, go to K-Mart (or your favorite big box store) and buy yourself hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, gloves, and masks. If anyone is rude enough to ask, tell them you have rheumatoid arthritis and your infusions reduce your bodies immune system. This will also help protect you from cold viruses, flu viruses, etc. Personally, I just keep trying to eat healthy, and follow instructions from the CDC when scheduling sick patients. Please try not to worry yourself sick, but don't get lazy either.

Following Universal Precautions is great advice...unfortunately, many common PPE items are on "indefinite manufacturer backorder" at this time. The only item I was able to easily procure for my squad is shoe covers, and those I had to wait two weeks for.

• BIggestLoseraddict15
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »
    I needed to get that off my chest.

Did you know that most of our chocolate is made in West Africa??? :o

Im freaked out about it too since im only 20 min from Dallas..scared for myself and my kids. But logically we cannot isolate ourselves if we get it theres nothing we can do but trust in God. Its def scary but as someone said so are the others...swine flu, regular flu, pnemonia, enterovirus...and rsv. My son caught rsv and flatlined when he was a baby so im still scared of that one. Stay strong! It will b something new next year.