Still paleo

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    vtroys wrote: »
    Any ideas on breakfast or veggies, do share! Always looking for new ideas.

I've been 80/20 "paleo" for about 2 years now... I found that my cravings to eat more have subsided and subsequently it doesn't take much to get me full anymore... even tho you can completely pig out on paleo and not worry about the consequences... anyway, what i'm getting at is that I have found my breakfast meals have gotten smaller and a homemade protein shake in the NutriBullet does the trick. Kale, nuts, avocado, bananas, etc are enough to keep me until lunch or a little snack (nuts n stuff) in between - add in Hemp Protein and you've got a full meal. I keep bags of organic frozen antioxidant rich berries in my freezer so i don't have to worry about them spoiling. Coconut Milk yogurt from Trader Joe's is also a nice treat.

Xx

Yes! Agree with all of that :smiley: When I was counting and tracking I feel like I was always hungry, or at least talking myself into being hungry. Now I don't even think about it. It takes very little nutrient dense real food to fill me up.

OP--could the cause of your hunger be from eating too few calories? I misunderstood your title of "Still Paleo" because God knows if I ate under 1,100 calories I probably wouldn't much either.

jon-stewart-boom.gif

And then there is that. /thread.

• dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I've been 80/20 "paleo" for about 2 years now... I found that my cravings to eat more have subsided and subsequently it doesn't take much to get me full anymore... even tho you can completely pig out on paleo and not worry about the consequences... anyway, what i'm getting at is that I have found my breakfast meals have gotten smaller and a homemade protein shake in the NutriBullet does the trick. Kale, nuts, avocado, bananas, etc are enough to keep me until lunch or a little snack (nuts n stuff) in between - add in Hemp Protein and you've got a full meal. I keep bags of organic frozen antioxidant rich berries in my freezer so i don't have to worry about them spoiling. Coconut Milk yogurt from Trader Joe's is also a nice treat.

Xx

Yes! Agree with all of that :smiley: When I was counting and tracking I feel like I was always hungry, or at least talking myself into being hungry. Now I don't even think about it. It takes very little nutrient dense real food to fill me up.

OP--could the cause of your hunger be from eating too few calories? I misunderstood your title of "Still Paleo" because God knows if I ate under 1,100 calories I probably wouldn't move much either.

Many days in August (pre paleo I think?) are under 900 calories

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dayone987 wrote: »

Xx

OP--could the cause of your hunger be from eating too few calories? I misunderstood your title of "Still Paleo" because God knows if I ate under 1,100 calories I probably wouldn't move much either.

So, overall, OP has an unhealthy relationship with food, Paleo or not.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    dayone987 wrote: »

Xx

So, overall, OP has an unhealthy relationship with food, Paleo or not.

And that is the O for B-I-N-G-O!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.

Well with all due respect you can't say you are strict paleo if you're eating non paleo foods. That's like saying I'm a strict vegetarian that has the occasional steak

Now, now. We learned a few weeks ago that the proper terminology for vegetarians who eat meat sometimes is a "flexitarian."

Sorry... it's too late to edit that, I should have inserted the word "trying" to be strict Paleo. Like anything else in life it is a process. For me I feel like the practice of a 100% Paleo lifestyle comes in baby steps and forward progression, not just all at once :smile: It's also a learning process. I know some folks who begin a Paleo diet and make a mistake somehow by eating something non-paleo because they just didn't know. It derails them and they give up. Not the way to go about it.

Just because you're lost in the woods doesn't mean your compass is broken :)

Ok. I wasn't even going to weigh in on the actual paleo thing. I was making a joke based of a previous thread that was ridiculous.

About the Paleo thing, I guess my question is...why even label yourself if you are 80/20? It seems silly. I'm sure my diet is probably 75/25 Paleo naturally, but I would never say I'm "Paleo" and I would never waste my money on "Paleo" products. I just happen to like meat and vegetables.

This is my thought and earlier point as well. Why not just say "I eat mostly whole, unprocessed or minimally processed foods"? Why give credit to a made-up diet that you aren't even following?

Because it's cool to have labels.

harvard.edu

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    About the Paleo thing, I guess my question is...why even label yourself if you are 80/20? It seems silly. I'm sure my diet is probably 75/25 Paleo naturally, but I would never say I'm "Paleo" and I would never waste my money on "Paleo" products. I just happen to like meat and vegetables.

This is how I feel. It also seems like there's an effort to cut out some foods (like greek yogurt) just because they aren't "paleo." But if I think something is tasty and good for me, why cut it out based on such arbitrary standards. Another good example is lentils.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.

Well with all due respect you can't say you are strict paleo if you're eating non paleo foods. That's like saying I'm a strict vegetarian that has the occasional steak

Now, now. We learned a few weeks ago that the proper terminology for vegetarians who eat meat sometimes is a "flexitarian."

Sorry... it's too late to edit that, I should have inserted the word "trying" to be strict Paleo. Like anything else in life it is a process. For me I feel like the practice of a 100% Paleo lifestyle comes in baby steps and forward progression, not just all at once :smile: It's also a learning process. I know some folks who begin a Paleo diet and make a mistake somehow by eating something non-paleo because they just didn't know. It derails them and they give up. Not the way to go about it.

Just because you're lost in the woods doesn't mean your compass is broken :)

Ok. I wasn't even going to weigh in on the actual paleo thing. I was making a joke based of a previous thread that was ridiculous.

This is my thought and earlier point as well. Why not just say "I eat mostly whole, unprocessed or minimally processed foods"? Why give credit to a made-up diet that you aren't even following?

Because it's cool to have labels.

harvard.edu

Mine is an MIT household.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    f1a49928ac96f7387f08117934c67a21.jpg

Hahaha.

I used to think Bowie was sexy in that movie. True story.

what's not to like...

1370902028-wornout-click2.jpg

That's quite a....mullet....yes, let's go with mullet.

I have not heard it called that before :flushed:
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hi Cushman, loved your original post and it will be that to which I will be replying as I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your success and most of all your enthusiasm and determination during times which must be extremely difficult.

I believe in order to help people and be the best person you can be that you have to look after yourself first. You have to be stay healthy and strong and be in control during stressful times and you are an example of that.

I would love you to come and tell you story on the Paleo/Primal Support Group on this site (if you are not already there) when things settle down as you have a great attitude and I am sure you can be of support to others who are considering this lifestyle. You will always get the ultimate health benefits when you completely eliminate wheat and sugar as the rest seems to fall into line after that.

I particularly, liked the part where you said " I think the reason people are either afraid to try Paleo or don't stick with it is because they are too focused on what they have to give up vs. what they can have." That is so true.

I have lost a mother so I understand what you are going through, it is hard so my thoughts are with you there. xx
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,055 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I particularly, liked the part where you said " I think the reason people are either afraid to try Paleo or don't stick with it is because they are too focused on what they have to give up vs. what they can have." That is so true.

I dont think most people are "afraid to try Paleo" - they just dont want to try it because they think it is silly nonsense doesnt have any merit.

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How can eating healthy food be silly nonsense or have no merit?

I am just about to eat an egg, spinach & tomato omelette. Free range eggs, spinach & tomatoes from our garden. Yummy.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options

I am just about to eat an egg, spinach & tomato omelette. Free range eggs, spinach & tomatoes from our garden. Yummy.

Yum!

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Cool. Tomatoes aren't paleo. Another arbitrary inclusion. This is why people think it's silly.
    I've eaten what's considered almost paleo for most of my life. I grow my own veg, eat lean meats and dairy. I call it eating healthy. Homemade bread and potatoes are healthy too and part of a balanced diet. I don't restrict anything for arbitrary reasons though like the unscientific "paleo" diet.

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    People are so rude and afraid of what they don't understand. I love how some folks can sum me up based upon some comments and half *kitten*'d food logging via a social media forum.

A healthy life style/nutrition plan doesn't happen overnight. It's a work in progress so many of the comments whining about people on paleo but not following paleo to a T... just need to relax. Slow and steady and process of elimination is usually the best course of action.

One other comment that stuck out like a childish sore thumb, do I want a medal or cookie for mentioning that someone told me I'd fail on Paleo and I haven't? Hell yes I do. It's an accomplishment why the hell shouldn't I toot my own horn?

Mean and nasty has no room in my life. Intelligent and kind ADULTS are happy for one another’s accomplishments no matter how small. Decent people are encouraging and positive to one another. Grownups that are genuine lift each other up... not tear each other down. At the end of the day a bad attitude and cynicism will serve to make you lonely and miserable in this life. For those who left intelligent comments, questions, disagreements without being total *kitten* for the sake of a nice conversation, thank you. To all the others... shame on you.

This is supposed to be a supportive forum correct? Could have fooled me.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    A few weeks ago I posted about the Paleo diet and some of the comments told me I was still on the honeymoon and that I would get sick of it and fall off track and eating all the healthy foods I want would cause weight gain and blah, blah, blah. Well I am still strict Paleo and it just keeps getting better!
    So... you stuck to something.

Uhm... congrats? Want a cookie?

No need to be snarky, though honestly I'm not sure a few weeks is enough to say you are out of the honeymoon phase.
    Sorry, use big people terminology. You mean sarcastic.

Guy posts a thread to pat himself on the back. He can take it.

I am not a guy, nice assumption.
    I did not post the thread to pat myself on the back. Sure, I'm tooting my own horn for sticking with something and why not? This is a supportive group right? I prefer to lift people up and encourage and congratulate them on their accomplishments, like a normal and decent human being does. You must be missing something in life and I sure hope you find it before that cynicism becomes permanent.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This is supposed to be a supportive forum correct? Could have fooled me.
    Ha, I think this is where you're wrong. It's the internet, and we're all hear to tell you you're wrong (see first sentence :laugh:).

I personally don't think I'd stick to paleo, although I eat a lot of foods that would fit on the plan, but I don't want to spend the extra money on free range chicken or grass fed beef. I also LOVE legumes. And strangely, my blood sugar levels really did not enjoy when I cut a lot of carbs from my diet (I was getting low blood sugars all the time).

That said, congrats on sticking with your eating programs. It seems that you have found something that works for you. It clearly will not work for everyone, but no one eating plan does. Many people think cauliflower is the answer to lots of calorie cutting, but I find it gross (except the one time I had it when it was deep fried). I'm also not a fan of fish. Other people like those things.

We all just need to find the eating habits that get us to our goals, keep us satiated, and we enjoy eating.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I went back a week in your diary and the most I saw you log was 1200 calories. Some days 800 calories and over the weekend, 200 calories. Either you starved yourself or didn't even log your food.

That's not enough food for any person.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    One thing I've always found interesting is how people love to hate on certain things - they'll hate on people who eat paleo, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free etc etc etc....

Let people eat what they want. Paleo works for some people, not others, same thing with vegan, same thing with gluten free etc. While I may not fully grasp why people want to eat a certain way, ultimately it is not me, they are not forcing me to do the same so let it go.

It is good that people can pick something that works for them and stick to it!
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    I'm trying to eat Primally, because I don't want to give up cheese. I'm on day 30 today - and tonight I will have an ice-cream bar. I haven't had ice-cream in a month and I am looking forward to the treat.

I think we can only make a decision to eat a specific way, day to day. And some days may be more of a failure than others. I spent the first two days of Primal eatting, packing up pasta boxes so that I could give them away. And, a week later, I gave away bread and cake box mixes, and an over-abundance of different types of canned beans.

So today, day 30, I'm having my ice-cream treat - and tomorrow, I will pack up the boxed cereals (all that sugary goodness that I've avoided this month) and I will give those away too. I really enjoy living grain-free. I've come to the realization as I cook up a pot of sauteed veggies, and add in some chicken or beef ... and, a little bit of cheese... that all those years of using pasta and bread to sop up the juices were really quite unnecessary. That's what spoons are for - those juices.

Eventually, I will be better at making healthier choices. I've been searching online for local farms that sell pasture fed meats. The options in the grocery store are pretty slim pickings.

I've come to appreciate food better this month. That quality matters. If we feed our bodies with the best we can afford, most of the time, maybe we'll reap the benefits of being healthier. And, this is a philosophy that I'm striving toward.

I reduced my sugar intake, but I did not give up chocolate. :) Just saying - Godiva is my friend (in small doses, of course).

Hey, good for you for getting to day 30! Are you following the challenge or going by Paleo Wired? Eliminating one thing at a time is a good option, slow and steady :) Today is my day to finally give up all sugar! I do love chocolate but I can do it for 30 and see how I feel. Good luck on your continued journey.