Still paleo

Options

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    fbmandy55 wrote: »
    I went back a week in your diary and the most I saw you log was 1200 calories. Some days 800 calories and over the weekend, 200 calories. Either you starved yourself or didn't even log your food.

That's not enough food for any person.

A long time ago I was good at logging but I have toned it down a bit. I found that all I could think about was my number of calories and what I could eat, when I could eat, etc. Not healthy for me so... As I said before, I log here and there just to give myself a snapshot of where I am.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    No one's afraid of paleo. Why on earth would anyone be afraid of eating foods that most people eat anyway? That's ridiculous.

People find the arbitrary restrictions of paleo to be worthy of criticism, and the seemingly endless amount of flexibility that supposed followers of the diet allow. It seems the label is far more important to people than the actual diet and its supposed benefits.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    How can eating healthy food be silly nonsense or have no merit?

I am just about to eat an egg, spinach & tomato omelette. Free range eggs, spinach & tomatoes from our garden. Yummy.
    Cool. Tomatoes aren't paleo. Another arbitrary inclusion. This is why people think it's silly.
    I've eaten what's considered almost paleo for most of my life. I grow my own veg, eat lean meats and dairy. I call it eating healthy. Homemade bread and potatoes are healthy too and part of a balanced diet. I don't restrict anything for arbitrary reasons though like the unscientific "paleo" diet.

What about wheat and grains?
    Nightshades are not considered Paleo because of the Lectin and Alkaloids found in those plants. But there are even higher levels found in grains, wheat and legumes. Again, process of elimination to see what works for ones body and what doesn't.

I have a question for you... since you've eaten so good and healthy almost all of your life, why are you on this forum?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I am just about to eat an egg, spinach & tomato omelette. Free range eggs, spinach & tomatoes from our garden. Yummy.
    Cool. Tomatoes aren't paleo. Another arbitrary inclusion. This is why people think it's silly.
    I've eaten what's considered almost paleo for most of my life. I grow my own veg, eat lean meats and dairy. I call it eating healthy. Homemade bread and potatoes are healthy too and part of a balanced diet. I don't restrict anything for arbitrary reasons though like the unscientific "paleo" diet.

Nightshades are not considered Paleo because of the Lectin and Alkaloids found in those plants. But there are even higher levels found in grains, wheat and legumes. Again, process of elimination to see what works for ones body and what doesn't.

I have a question for you... since you've eaten so good and healthy almost all of your life, why are you on this forum?

To answer your implied sarcasm, it's because I'm over 50, had a desk job for the last 10 years after working construction for 25, and need to lose 10 lbs because I didn't bother logging for a year. I originally lost 40 lbs here a couple of years ago using MFP.
    The reason I was that overweight? I ate too much paleo-like food for how active I was.
    What about wheat and grains? Healthy food unless you are celiac or have a wheat allergy.
    The Roman legions existed off of bread. Seems healthy enough to me.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

To answer your implied sarcasm, it's because I'm over 50, had a desk job for the last 10 years after working construction for 25, and need to lose 10 lbs because I didn't bother logging for a year. I originally lost 40 lbs here a couple of years ago using MFP.
    The reason I was that overweight. I ate too much paleo-like food for how active I was.

Sorry, I was not being sarcastic, I just wondered. Good for you for losing the first 40! :smile:

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options

There are a lot of people on this site that don't need to lose weight. Many use it to manage macronutrients and help expand their knowledge of science.

Having said that, i spend 6 months doing paleo and thought it was horrible. It took away several foods I loved and caused me to binge often which prevented me from reaching my goals. I am glad you found something you enjoy, but I can never do it.

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

The reason I was that overweight. I ate too much paleo-like food for how active I was.

Sorry, I was not being sarcastic, I just wondered. Good for you for losing the first 40! :smile:
    Cheers. Good luck on eating/being healthy no matter what works for you.

• april32many
    Options
    I think people simply use the word Paleo because it's basically understood universally as lots of protein, veggies, nuts, and cutting out all refined sugar and grains. I have vegan friends who eat sugar like it's cocaine at disco (which it basically is) and I always wonder why even bother?

OP, I totally hear what you are saying. The healthiest I've been in my life, I ate mostly can be described as Paleo (and made some of my own rules too because I'm a friggin' human being who can do that). I identified myself as Paleo (which may be the wrong thing to do since I totally bent the rules and ate raw milk cheese occasionally, so essentially I wasn't). Point being, I felt amazing and looked incredible. THEN...I let it go. I didn't find it to be sustainable for me, personally. Which is ludicrous because it worked. I have three kids and it's a battle I didn't want to keep having. Unfortunately, I put on every pound I'd lost back on. It didn't help that my husband was in a horrific accident and out of work for four months. I quit working out and took him to all his cognitive, speech, and physical therapy sessions and just couldn't juggle everything.

Long story short(er), finding Paleo can be a dream. I understand why those who are picking at the term are doing so. It does get difficult to maintain if you don't commit. But, *kitten*, so does the gym or any lifestyle we choose. So, keep doing your thing. Feel good, work hard, and keep on keepin' on!

I hope things in your life keep improving and you stay positive through it all. It sounds like you're on the right track!
  • april32many
    Options
    P.S. I want to clarify that I recognized people aren't picking at the term Paleo, but the use of it when you still don't strictly adhere to all its rules:)

Sorry for all the typos, I'm in a hurry!
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I did paleo for about three months at the beginning of this year (so according to OP I passed by the honeymoon stage with it). In the end, I didn't like that I couldn't partake in foods that "normal" people were eating for arbitrary made up reasons.

That's not the reason I "hate" on paleo. The reason I am annoyed with Paleo is because a lot of the people that practice it don't practice it religiously, but have a holier-than-thou attitude about it anyway. This is a generalization I'm making, yes I know not everyone on Paleo feels that way. But I would say the vast majority of people on Paleo that I have ever talked to are too busy patting themselves on the back for how good they're eating to listen to me when I say CICO works for weight loss and that I, too, am perfectly healthy and not Paleo anymore.

This is not meant to be inflammatory. This is just my experience with people who eat Paleo. Your mileage may vary.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Healthy food has calories too, ya know. I live on a farm and probably eat more whole, natural or wild food than the average person "doing paleo". That's why I need to lose weight. I eat more whole natural and wild food than I need.
  • svpracer
    Options
    converted to paleo from catholisism. The bread at mass was the kicker. Once you give something a label, people are going to make money on it. Its much like crossfit, or any other fad work outs. We did "Crossfit" in the Army, but we called it PT. Just eat clean, you know what that means and how to do it. If giving it a label makes it easier for you.. give it a label. Just dont drink so much of the koolaid.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Who said it was?

Comments like this assume that the only way to eat healthy is to eat paleo, and yet lots of people care about eating healthy and don't accept the various assertions by the creators of the paleo diet about what eating healthy is. I include non-paleo foods in my diet in part because I think they are healthy for me. If you want to say that eating paleo is healthier than not, the burden of proof is on you.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    abuck_13 wrote: »
    Let people eat what they want. Paleo works for some people, not others, same thing with vegan, same thing with gluten free etc. While I may not fully grasp why people want to eat a certain way, ultimately it is not me, they are not forcing me to do the same so let it go.

I agree with this and said something similar early in the thread (unless I'm mixing it up with some other paleo thread!).

However, we seem to have entered the portion of the thread where people move away from "eating paleo fits with my preferences and works for me" to where they claim that eating "paleo" is really just basic "eating healthy" and anyone who doesn't isn't interested in health. Hooray. That is a claim that applies more broadly and ought to be countered.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    Wait- I am now confused based on all the replies. What *is* "paleo?" I thought I got it but now I have no clue.

I think as there is more discussion, it's turning into something a lot different than original intended. The fact is, if you read the original Paleo books, bacon is not an approved item. And apparently, you can now get Paleo bacon, ice cream, etc... and that is kind of mind blowing. To me, none of those items are truly Paleo. Regardless of what is in the bacon or ice cream or xxx food, if you have to process the food.. it can't be Paleo.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Wait- I am now confused based on all the replies. What *is* "paleo?" I thought I got it but now I have no clue.

No grains, no legumes, no dairy. Those are essentially agreed upon by all.

No processed food, factory farmed food, non pastured livestock or farmed fish, with preference given to foods that are hunted or gathered. Those ought to be generally agreed upon, but people seem to me much more loose about following them, which I find bizarre.

Also, depending on who you ask, no potatoes and no nightshades (or at least eat nightshades sparingly). (For the record, I've found no good explanation for why no potatoes under a "paleo" approach. The Whole30 people just say that's a rule without any real explanation except that lots of people eat potato chips, but I personally don't, don't even like them. I do love roasted potatoes, though.)

Oh, and according to Loren Cordain, absolutely no bacon, but people like to pretend that bit doesn't exist. I'm also pretty sure cavemen didn't buy "paleo treats" or concoct fancy desserts with almond flour, but I'm sure I'd be creative that way if I otherwise bought into paleo.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone does. It seems to have lost all meaning, similar to 'clean eating'. In fact, many will say paleo and clean eating are the same thing. But if that's true, then why call it 'paleo diet' when the term 'clean eating' was around long before?
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    fbmandy55 wrote: »
    I went back a week in your diary and the most I saw you log was 1200 calories. Some days 800 calories and over the weekend, 200 calories. Either you starved yourself or didn't even log your food.

That's not enough food for any person.

A long time ago I was good at logging but I have toned it down a bit. I found that all I could think about was my number of calories and what I could eat, when I could eat, etc. Not healthy for me so... As I said before, I log here and there just to give myself a snapshot of where I am.

Before you went Paleo, you were eating under 1000 calories a day and then exercising for another 500 calories or more. Do you think that the reason why calorie counting was so miserable for you was because you simply weren't eating enough?
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    cushman, :) I passed day 30 and am still following. I didn't have the ice-cream treat, but instead had an angry-orchard hard cider. (only thing going for it, is gluten free and tasty). I enjoyed the bottle and am back to being good. :)

I didn't follow the book, I'm trying to be "primal blueprint" - and gave up all grains, and had one cheat day last week, with the cafeteria chili... but, overall am doing much better than I had been. I find that there's control to be had after all the extra sugars are out of our systems.

I am beginning to buy grass fed meats, and I just found a local farm that runs a 'store' about an hour drive away, which I have not yet driven to, but hope to on the next weekend.

I am learning how to cook - buying coconut flour, almond meal, tapioca flour - finding recipes for pancakes, breads, desserts - so that when I finally do have a craving, or a holiday with friends - I can bring something tasty and also 'healthy'. :)

It's not a diet as much as learning to make better choices. I feel REALLY good though. My skin is clearer. I haven't caught the germs that seem to already be 'around' up here in New England. One day at a time, and it's all good. :)

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    The issue I have with the paleo diet is that every single person doing paleo is like "I'm kind of doing my own version of paleo" where they get to "cheat," because the diet as-is is not sustainable for seemingly anyone.

This is my issue as well. That it is not defined and anyone gets to say it's whatever they want to say. So really it's a not diet. Each person should just say X, Y, or Z causes me problems and so I'm avoiding it. By allowing all these little "cheats" or "customizations" it gets its popularity and proponents by allowing everyone into it with any eating style they desire. So actually a non diet becomes THE MOST POPULAR DIET in the WORLD!!!!! INFINITY!!!!!

My issue though with it has been pretty MAJOR and pretty constant so I am beginning to wonder if at the root of my aversion to this diet is the article linked above that flatly rejects so much of what I grew up on. Maybe I had an inkling the best I have to offer (I'm a mexican who is a very good cook) was being flatly rejected and labeled as "bad" or "inferior" by someone. Maybe I couldn't put my finger on it but I was definitely feeling more feelings than the above condradiction warranted. Maybe now I know why.

I'll tell you this. The other day when my husband cheated on his paleo it was with biscuits and gravy...while he scoffed at the nerve I had to eat my carne asada & tomatillo with flour tortillas. I used to watch my grandma make biscuits homemade and flour tortillas homemade and they are nearly identical in their ingredients. And she taught me to make them like no one else can. And now I don't have that to offer. Thanks weird non-descript fake diet based on a historical blend of nothing and mistatements that gives just enough freedom for everyone to want to latch on to it in the feeling they are doing something superior, healthy, or whatever.