Gaining muscle

Options

Replies

• NoelleED
    NoelleED Posts: 148
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    NoelleED wrote: »
    I apologize if I didn't phrase the original question precisely right. I tried to explain how much strength I already possess but people got all weird about it.
    Weighing 280 does not mean you can squat 280, fyi.

I'm aware.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »

People got all weird because you started coming up with bizarre reasons why existing scientific data doesn't apply to you.

Really? What exactly did I say except that I am naturally very strong?

It was your squat stat.
    She never did answer that either, just dodged it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - if you want to maintain your strength and eat in a deficit, then yes I believe that is possible. I would suggest calculating a 250 per day calorie deficit and keep your lifting regimen exactly as it is. this should allow you to lose weight slowly, about .5 pound per week, and it should not sacrifice that much strength, or any at all. If you find that you do lose some strength then increase your calories by 50 to 100 a day and see how it goes...
  • NoelleED
    Options

I will guess you mean maintain mass because plenty of people increase in strength on a deficit.

At least in my legs.

I am also not opposed to the idea of losing the fat and then regaining the strength if I need to do it that way. But damn, it sounds an awful lot like men are suggesting women just can't possibly be smaller and strong.

Nobody suggested that, but if you want to play the off in left field game, go for it. Only makes you look more reasonable.

Here is what I asked:

Can I lose the fat and still keep the muscle - or gain muscle.
    -
    Everybody - NO THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE.

Well, that's a somewhat short-sighted answer, isn't it? We know that many women at smaller weights are extraordinarily strong. It's not like it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to get there, but the route may be circuitous at best.
  • NoelleED
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - if you want to maintain your strength and eat in a deficit, then yes I believe that is possible. I would suggest calculating a 250 per day calorie deficit and keep your lifting regimen exactly as it is. this should allow you to lose weight slowly, about .5 pound per week, and it should not sacrifice that much strength, or any at all. If you find that you do lose some strength then increase your calories by 50 to 100 a day and see how it goes...

Thank you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think some people are both cognitively challenged along with being just generally mean. I don't give a crumb if losing the fat means I automatically become less strong - it would be MY CHOICE then to maintain the muscle OVER WEIGHT LOSS. Derpy der kids, try and keep up.

your original post said you wanted to build muscle and lose fat ..it was not until like page two that you clarified you meant maintain strength and lose fat...

so while some may need reading comprehension, others may need writing comprehension...
  • dbmata
    Options

I will guess you mean maintain mass because plenty of people increase in strength on a deficit.

At least in my legs.

I am also not opposed to the idea of losing the fat and then regaining the strength if I need to do it that way. But damn, it sounds an awful lot like men are suggesting women just can't possibly be smaller and strong.

Nobody suggested that, but if you want to play the off in left field game, go for it. Only makes you look more reasonable.

Here is what I asked:

-

Well, that's a somewhat short-sighted answer, isn't it? We know that many women at smaller weights are extraordinarily strong. It's not like it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to get there, but the route may be circuitous at best.
    If that's what you understood, then you might want to go read it again, and think about why that's what you projected into what you read.
  • ndj1979
    Options

At least in my legs.

Here is what I asked:

-

you are confusing muscle with strength...they are not the same...
  • NoelleED
    Options
    I think some people are both cognitively challenged along with being just generally mean. I don't give a crumb if losing the fat means I automatically become less strong - it would be MY CHOICE then to maintain the muscle OVER WEIGHT LOSS. Derpy der kids, try and keep up.

your original post said you wanted to build muscle and lose fat ..it was not until like page two that you clarified you meant maintain strength and lose fat...

so while some may need reading comprehension, others may need writing comprehension...

I already apologized for misleading the peanut gallery.
  • dbmata
    Options

So polite, I'm amazed more aren't lining up to help you with commentary like that.
  • NoelleED
    Options

At least in my legs.

Here is what I asked:

-

you are confusing muscle with strength...they are not the same...

You may well be right. I would appreciate people sharing their knowledge on the differences. It is my strength that I value.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

:lol:

• NoelleED
    Options

So polite, I'm amazed more aren't lining up to help you with commentary like that.

Oh my goodness, if you don't like it then use all your thinky skills to navigate away.
  • NoelleED
    Options
    I never claimed to be especially educated on this topic, folks.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, are you actually a new lifter? How long have you been lifting?
  • dbmata
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

No one said it can't be done, but is that you? Because the person in that video looks very well trained.

Oh, wait, this is the OP?

I don't see 280 pounds on that frame.