Wake up people!!

Options

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    So we have a DVR and very rarely have to watch commercials (other than the Superbowl ads) Sometimes we'll catch a food ad and think-who eats that stuff, no wonder the country is fat. Yesterday I caught an ad for Lipton Iced Tea geared to kids that pushed me to write to the company. It shows cartoon characters at a picnic and one holds up a glass of water and complains that it has no taste, the solution is to drink Lipton Iced Tea because it has flavor. I know in the past cereal companies and junk food companies have taken heat---but it is so wrong on so many levels to put out to kids that drinking water is wrong!!!
    End of rant!

The cartoon character is right. Water has no taste.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    The cartoon character is right. Water has no taste.

And when it does, it's never good!
  • NoelleED
    NoelleED Posts: 148
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    NoelleED wrote: »
    Which one of you wrote me about 6 personal messages about how dumb I am, and how I'm a fat dumb *kitten*? I can't remember now. Pity MFP is so full of twits and bullies. It certainly makes me hate the threads, so much hostility over so little.

This seems like unnecessary drama. If you did get a nasty message you know who sent it. We don't actually put up with people being mean like that, so if you did get a nasty message instead of bringing it up to increase drama please send a message to a moderator like Olivia http://www.myfitnesspal.com/Olivia

Yeah, calling out bullies is so overrated.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You didn't call anyone out, you asked the group who sent it to you. kind of like when my 9 year old loudly exclaims to his brother "why did you pinch me?" not really a question, but a passive aggressive tattle.
  • NoelleED
    NoelleED Posts: 148
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    You didn't call anyone out, you asked the group who sent it to you. kind of like when my 9 year old loudly exclaims to his brother "why did you pinch me?" not really a question, but a passive aggressive tattle.

Well, she stopped sending me multiple hateful messages so I'm pretty sure she got the point.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    oh I'm so glad it worked out then.
  • emkrti
    emkrti Posts: 6
    Options
    I find it a bit alarming that so many people are blaming the parents if their children want a sugary drink instead of water. Yes, parenting plays a part. But have you all forgotten how advertisements work?

Remind yourselves why you're here: to get healthy, to lessen illnesses, to live a better life, to live longer. But I can guarantee you that most, if not all, of you have insecurities or had insecurities in the past about your body. I can remember being 8 years old and hating my body, thinking that I needed to lose weight. And I was not a fat kid by any means. Many of my girlfriends shared this same insecurity at a young age. Why are we this way? Advertising! We are shown THOUSANDS of images of thin, beautiful women with perfect bodies. The reality: only 5% of women in the U.S. have that 'perfect' body we see in advertisements. Yet we're all dieting and trying to look like that 5%.

Is it really so crazy to think that advertising is influencing our children? It's not so simple as "don't let them watch tv" or "just say no" because children might still find ways to get what they want (getting a can of pop from a friend or at a friend's house, from another family member, watching TV when you're not home or watching it at a friend's house).

Take out the advertisement and I bet the child wouldn't care about the pop or the iced tea. Advertisements DO target children. Their mentality is to get them hooked early because chances are they'll be hooked for years.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    emkrti wrote: »
    I find it a bit alarming that so many people are blaming the parents if their children want a sugary drink instead of water. Yes, parenting plays a part. But have you all forgotten how advertisements work?

Remind yourselves why you're here: to get healthy, to lessen illnesses, to live a better life, to live longer. But I can guarantee you that most, if not all, of you have insecurities or had insecurities in the past about your body. I can remember being 8 years old and hating my body, thinking that I needed to lose weight. And I was not a fat kid by any means. Many of my girlfriends shared this same insecurity at a young age. Why are we this way? Advertising! We are shown THOUSANDS of images of thin, beautiful women with perfect bodies. The reality: only 5% of women in the U.S. have that 'perfect' body we see in advertisements. Yet we're all dieting and trying to look like that 5%.

Is it really so crazy to think that advertising is influencing our children? It's not so simple as "don't let them watch tv" or "just say no" because children might still find ways to get what they want (getting a can of pop from a friend or at a friend's house, from another family member, watching TV when you're not home or watching it at a friend's house).

Take out the advertisement and I bet the child wouldn't care about the pop or the iced tea. Advertisements DO target children. Their mentality is to get them hooked early because chances are they'll be hooked for years.

Im curious to know what you would do about it. Would create a government agency to regulate what, when and who advertising could target?
  • emkrti
    emkrti Posts: 6
    Options
    Im curious to know what you would do about it. Would create a government agency to regulate what, when and who advertising could target?

Having strict regulations on advertisements would be a start, yes. What I really want is unattainable in the foreseeable future, which is a complete overhaul of corporations. Eliminate the food and beverage companies that create foods that are bad for us. We've stopped marketing cigarettes towards children, yet sugary and fatty foods could kill them just as easily. Pair these awful foods with the lack of exercise kids get these days and it's a disaster.

The FTC estimates that food and beverage companies spend $1.6 billion dollars advertising to children in the United States every year. In 2010, the U.S. was number 9 on the world's fattest countries (according to Forbes.com) and I believe they're number 8 now (according to therichest.com but I don't know how credible they are). Sweden and Norway were numbers 90 and 91 on Forbes' list and advertising to children is illegal in those countries.

Of course there are other factors at play, but coming from someone who is riddled with insecurities because I'm a product of advertisements constantly telling me I'm fat and ugly, I honestly believe advertising is playing a huge part in those numbers.
  • nickysbt
    Options

Yes, advertising targets children. It does so in large part because their parents buy them things when they whine. Parents have a responsibility to prepare their children for the world. That includes not giving them unhealthy things and teaching them how to understand advertising. Otherwise the child simply grows up and starts buying their own things because the TV told them to. Adulthood isn't exactly a magic cure for susceptibility. If it was there wouldn't be so many people on this site asking about the latest diet pill or fitness craze.

I also take issue with your suggestion that insecurity comes solely from advertising. Of the people I know with body image issues and/or eating disorders only a small fraction of them have tried comparing themselves with celebrities or people in adverts. Most of them compare themselves to the people they grew up with or currently live around. Sometimes those people really are more attractive than average, but quite often it's simply that the person with body image problems is insecure. Even Amish girls can be worried about their looks and they're raised in a culture that specifically prohibits vanity.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Bottom line. Be a parent. Your children are your responsibility. Don't buy the objectionable foods, toys or whatever it is you don't agree with, and explain to them why you don't want them consuming whatever it is you think is not good for them. Kids will push the limits and whine and cry and carry on, but you set the boundaries, you are the parent, so parent, and don't blame it on advertising. Advertising will always be out there, it always has been. If you don't agree with what they are selling, don't buy it. If enough people agree with you, believe me the companies will get it.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Having strict regulations on advertisements would be a start, yes. What I really want is unattainable in the foreseeable future, which is a complete overhaul of corporations. Eliminate the food and beverage companies that create foods that are bad for us. We've stopped marketing cigarettes towards children, yet sugary and fatty foods could kill them just as easily. Pair these awful foods with the lack of exercise kids get these days and it's a disaster.

The FTC estimates that food and beverage companies spend $1.6 billion dollars advertising to children in the United States every year. In 2010, the U.S. was number 9 on the world's fattest countries (according to Forbes.com) and I believe they're number 8 now (according to therichest.com but I don't know how credible they are). Sweden and Norway were numbers 90 and 91 on Forbes' list and advertising to children is illegal in those countries.

Of course there are other factors at play, but coming from someone who is riddled with insecurities because I'm a product of advertisements constantly telling me I'm fat and ugly, I honestly believe advertising is playing a huge part in those numbers.

So nobody was fat and unhealthy before advertising and corporations?

Advertisers make you want to be thin and healthy and at the same time make you fat and unhealthy?

Now you want the government to insulate and protect you from Them because it is their fault.

I see you putting a lot of blame on everyone and everything but no one forced you to do anything.

No one forces parents to buy these foods or give them to their kids in large quantities. Or their selves for that matter. People have a choice. They choose to blame the "sugary and fatty" foods, the advertisers, the corporations, instead of the person putting it into their mouths.

Its just sad that people choose to be sheep. Even their solution to the problem is to be led around by someone else instead of teaching their kids to have self control and responsibility.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    ^^^
    I agree totally.
    Personal responsibility, sadly lacking in today's society. The blame always lies at someone else's doorstep.

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    Did you write the Jim Henson company? They're the ones that pimped the Muppets out for this evil... are you one of the parents flipping out over the "Breaking Bad" collectibles sold at Toys R US as well?

OMG WHAAAAT!?!? I must get them ALL!!
    Gotta catch em all... Meth style!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with tea and coffee come to that. They are carriers of salicylate, (my principal issue) Salicylate gets mentioned on the ADHD or Autism or both for contributing to difficulties within these recognised conditions. Salicylate is cumulative therefore remitting diet dependant and can put some, infrequent people on low level aspirin over dose, serious in those it effects who find it hard to find out what their problems are. Website Salicylatesensitivity.com
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what people get so bent out of shape about.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

yea, because the government has done such a great job with Eboa, the IRS scandal, ISIS, benghazi, obama care, et al …< that is sarcasm in case anyone is curious ..

and if kids are not getting exercise how is that not their parents fault…back in day if I was playing video games my mom would come in and shut it off and say you need to go outside and play…now…

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good for you MountainMare for voicing your opinion and standing up for what you believe in. Well done.

That's me done. I'm outta here. :)

And as for everyone else, "Please do not be bullied into silence! You have a right to an opinion on a public forum, and as long as you respect the rights of others, should be free to speak your mind freely without fear of abuse ."

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread delivers.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I never allowed my kids to drink anything caffinated. I would be paying for it later with hyper kids who were hyper already. That's never fun for me. They had juice, milk and water. They just got use to it and would ask for one just to test me every now and again, but gave up after they figured out No means No.