Wake up people!!

Options

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I never allowed my kids to drink anything caffinated. I would be paying for it later with hyper kids who were hyper already. That's never fun for me. They had juice, milk and water. They just got use to it and would ask for one just to test me every now and again, but gave up after they figured out No means No.

For prepubescent kids* with several types of ADD/HADD behavioral markers, sugar and caffeine can act to help them focus and calm down. That said, they're your kids. The boundaries you set in the above quote are not unreasonable, and are well within your rights.

*Once puberty sets in, this is less often the case, from what I've read.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's an ADVERTISEMENT. This is what they do. Buy this, you need it, you want it, you will like it better than ______.

Get over it. Teach your kids they don't need it if you don't like it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    They're muppets, not cartoon characters. We watched them growing up and it really doesn't seem geared towards kids.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_eUoow7TPI

I agree.... that definitely seems geared up for my generation.... they're all the muppet characters I watched growing up, and also they're behaving like adult stereotypes

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    NoelleED wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    NoelleED wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    What's wrong with tea?

Lipton is tea?

I think it's fair to discuss what kinds of ads kids are exposed to. For one thing, how many ADULTS are even aware of what foods/drinks are healthy? Sure, we all know veggies are good for you but many people are unaware of just how bad BAD food is. Let's face it, pinning it all on personal responsibility is a little short-sighted. As a society we need to push for better role models and examples of positive, healthy behavior.

Personally, we don't watch television in my house.

I want to hear more about these "bad" foods.

Hmm, let me think. I've seen people put Mountain Dew in baby bottles. I've seen people feed McDonald's burgers to their toddlers. I knew a family when I was a kid where every drink was Pepsi and the kids all had caps on every tooth.

Not really sure whats so wrong with McDonalds, Mountain Dew, or really any foods. for Me, you, or anyone. Pending Medical conditions.

Only bad foods are the ones I dislike. (I have no allergies or those would be bad too)

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Well IMO I do not feel that a commercial like this will cause kids to think that water is bad... and what is wrong with tea? Well the kind that does not much sugar or none at all. Also parents can control what their kids drink while in their care. I mean if you do not want your child to drink sodas, teas, ect then don't have it available to them. When they get thirsty enough they will drink water if that is what a parent would require their child to drink.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I noticed recently that Pepsi and Coke (of all companies) actually teamed up and have this big huge campaign encouraging kids to drink water. If you're thirsty, drink water. For a treat, have a soda - that kind of thing. At first I thought, eyeroll, more propaganda to reward yourself with food like a puppy in training, but then - you know what? THey're the big guys and they're doing Something. Isn't that what we ask anyway? B)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    This thread delivers.

Pretty much...

A bingo card all in one.

It's the corporations fault....not parenting.

Take some personal responsibility.

No I shouldn't have to.

McDonalds is the devil.

You're all bullies (for not agreeing with me).

And a new one, probably for the middle space.

The passive aggressive PM call out.
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    I noticed recently that Pepsi and Coke (of all companies) actually teamed up and have this big huge campaign encouraging kids to drink water. If you're thirsty, drink water. For a treat, have a soda - that kind of thing. At first I thought, eyeroll, more propaganda to reward yourself with food like a puppy in training, but then - you know what? THey're the big guys and they're doing Something. Isn't that what we ask anyway? B)

I thought the same at first, but they are "trying" to teach healthier habits to children and teens. It is not about deprivation, it is about moderation...is what I took from the ad.

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    This thread delivers.

Pretty much...

A bingo card all in one.

It's the corporations fault....not parenting.

Take some personal responsibility.

No I shouldn't have to.

McDonalds is the devil.

You're all bullies (for not agreeing with me).

And a new one, probably for the middle space.

The passive aggressive PM call out.

I don't think we have had anybody loosing anything yet though...
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I do everything the TV tells me to do, too. That's why I tried to ride my dog like he was a pony. Oh no wait, that commercial said "**do not attempt**" so I didn't try it.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Maybe the iced tea commercial should say "****water is actually good****" at the bottom? Like how cups have to say "*****this is hot****" so people don't sue dunkin donuts??

JK Please take responsibility for your own actions.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Good for you MountainMare for voicing your opinion and standing up for what you believe in. Well done.

That's me done. I'm outta here. :)

And as for everyone else, "Please do not be bullied into silence! You have a right to an opinion on a public forum, and as long as you respect the rights of others, should be free to speak your mind freely without fear of abuse ."

yea, because everyone who disagrees with a thread, or someone in said thread, is a "bully"...#getoveryourself
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with tea (some are even good for you!) ... its better than kool aid, or cola n all the other sugary drinks
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

i felt left out.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Surely society has a collective responsibility to ensure that everyone's children are healthy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Malteaster wrote: »
    Surely society has a collective responsibility to ensure that everyone's children are healthy.

Except it was an advertisement that was not directed towards children.

Either way, we have the responsibility to ensure schools provide healthy options for lunch.

We do not have the responsibility to shelter kids from available food options. Use advertisements to teach kids about companies trying to sell things and what balanced eating is. Maybe then when they reach adulthood they won't fall for the BS that Dr. Oz and the weight loss industry try to sell us.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    you can promote tea without discouraging water.

really, are the kids actually drinking a *kitten* ton of water? a better tactic would have been to divert them from something they are actually drinking, like sodas or juices. or maybe just you know saying "tea is great" and not dissing any other thing. because usually that just promotes the opposing thing anyway. like in this case if any of my fam saw that dissing water ad, any kids in proximity would get a nice long lesson in how important water is for the body.

i don't know. maybe tea ads are made by people who used to work in day care but secretly hate children and then finally got an education and a career to help them spread their kid hate further. or something.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Not to rude, but kids grow up and get marketed alcohol toward them. Just because someone tells you to buy something, people need to be smart enough to make good choices
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Malteaster wrote: »

Surely what your child eats is a parental responsibility, not society's responsibility. Society should not be dictating; in a free, democratic society, what we chose to feed our families.
    Simple solution to a simple issue for the OP. Don't buy it for your child. Why try to legislate what you deem to be correct, to the rest of society. Free choice. That is what this country is about.