Thoughts on veganism?

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Is this a concern where you live? I don't know anyone who's ever been bitten by a snake (and I'm assuming you meant "anti-venom").

Come visit me in nevada

Also it IS called Antivenin

And Texas...

FTR: My husband has been bitten by a rattlesnake...

So then the rattlesnake wasn't vegan?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Is this a concern where you live? I don't know anyone who's ever been bitten by a snake (and I'm assuming you meant "anti-venom").

Come visit me in nevada

And Texas...

Apparently not... the *kitten*... We both worked in camps that had them... thankfully, I have never come in contact with them in my years as a camper or as staff... but they were out there... we were required to carry a shovel with us anytime we took a group of kids with us... to try and kill it.

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    hmm...most poisonous snake bites around my neck of the woods are from copperheads nesting under things. Rattlesnakes usually give you a warning. I've personally observed moccasins being the most aggressive of the poisonous snakes I've observed personally.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Come visit me in nevada

And Texas...

Apparently not... the *kitten*... We both worked in camps that had them... thankfully, I have never come in contact with them in my years as a camper or as staff... but they were out there... we were required to carry a shovel with us anytime we took a group of kids with us... to try and kill it.

You tried to kill something with a face :(

If it trys to kill me first I'm going to try and kill it before it succeeds at killing me... thankfully I haven't had to kill anything more than a black widow that tries to kill me..
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Merc:

big rattlesnakes are the only ones around here big enough to be worth cleaning...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    80b89927fdcc01fbee10e7666205e28d1a84c01112747b680bb717698adc3c8f.jpg
  • clewpage
    clewpage Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of talk about snakes...I'm lost.
    Back to the original question.
    If you want to be vegan, for whatever reasons you choose, then go right ahead, your diet does not affect me in my life.
    The problem lies in the "militant vegan" attitude that is so rampant these days. That vegan is the ONLY way to be, and anyone NOT vegan is a horrible wretched person.
    I enjoy meat. I eat steak, I eat chicken, I eat fish.
    I try to buy free-range chicken and organic veggies when I can, but lets be honest, that stuff aint cheap, and last time I checked, I don't have a money tree in my back yard.

I also shoot and eat my own wild animals like deer, turkey, dove, duck, quail.
    Hunting, (it doesnt get any more free range than hunting, killing, and preparing your own meat), and having my own garden (I control the conditions), enables me to eat a healthful and balanced diet without going broke.
    I'm also a firm believer in conservation. In order for the herd to thrive, there has to be sufficient food to support it. By hunting and killing mature animals and keeping the overall population numbers in check, it allows the herd to maintain a steady level of existence.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    80b89927fdcc01fbee10e7666205e28d1a84c01112747b680bb717698adc3c8f.jpg

Great words to live by... as are many of Mal's words. ;)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't have problems with anybody who's a vegan. They want to live that way, it's cool. Me, I can't because I'd go balls-to-the-wall and not have any animal related products and there is too much stuff I enjoy that is animal related.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I find more people talk against being vegan than in favour of it? But perhaps I have been lucky in that I have never met a militant vegan, only people telling me I am an 'omnivore'.

Also in the UK snakes aren't a huuuge problem, so more here if concerned about antivenom/antivenin/snakestuff.

Also...this is horrid, but dairy does harm animals. Cows have baby, baby killed (veel), but their milk keeps getting taken, then pregnant again and the cycle repeats. At least, that is how it works at my local farms.

- I am actually not a vegan; I am not even vegetarian as I eat chicken sometimes. Just found this an interesting discussion. And hate people telling to eat something because it is in my 'nature' - regardless of what diet they are pushing, I eat what I liiiike.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    "To each their own." I'm vegetarian (9 years). I'm not against eating meat, I'm just concerned with factory farming and it's much easier to just cut it out.

I try not to support the large milk production facilities too, since I've seen how those dairies are run in the southwest when I lived in New Mexico (numerous cows in a small confined area). Not all dairies are run like that, my aunt owns one with land that they roam.

I never bring up my beliefs unless asked, nor do I ever try to change someone else's eating habits. My husband still eats meat on occasion, idgaf.

I also feed my dogs and cats meat-based diets because they don't care where it comes from. I also get really good quality food, none of the supermarket stuff.

I think veganism is great if that's your goal. I do think it's easier to follow if it's for ethical reasons, not many "going on a diet" vegans last long... but I always hope that they find the long-term diet that's right for them. Humans can be perfectly healthy with or without veganism. You just might have to pay attention to micro nutrients more.
  • markrichtsspraytan
    markrichtsspraytan Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I am guessing it's because a lot of people do it because they think it's healthier, or that they can lose faster with it, and things of that nature rather than for ethical reasons which is really the only reason to be a veg
    Studies have also shown that plants feel pain.

I would understand not agreeing ethically with the treatment some animals go through before they are killed.

Please show me this study where plants feel pain. They don't have nerves. I'm a plant pathologist, the closest thing you'll get to a plant doctor, and have never heard of such a thing.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Probably getting confused with plant perception/adaptation?

(I am so not an expert, which is probably obvious.)
  • FayeandBo
    FayeandBo Posts: 46
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think it really depends on someone's body, and how they deal with being vegan ( what food they eat, how they cook, etc) since everyone's body is different and requires a different amount of meat. I am a raw vegan and since going raw have had a LOT more energy, feel better, skins clearing, and am losing weight really fast. And yeah going vegan isn't a weight loss plan necessary because nuts/seeds are high calorie and fat, one of the reasons I'm on myfitnesspal (to make sure I don't exceed too many calories with nuts)

I definitely don't have any loss of respect for people who eat meat (my boyfriend is a big meat eater), the only thing that does bother me is when people don't buy free range/ethical meat. Then it's just helping the system abuse animals.
  • FayeandBo
    Options
    Just for the record as well, going vegetarian cuts your carbon foot print in half.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love to eat meat and animal products; but it does sadden me how animals are treated ... Inhumane forms of slaughter, and horrible conditions.. But it still will not convert me to a vegetarian, let alone a vegan...
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I understand the ethical considerations of vegetarians and vegans. What I do not understand is how the same people do not consider the conditions in which we grow produce. I watched corporate farm owners bus in young and old immigrants to work the fields in Central California. Long hours, low pay, no benefits. Where is the ethics in that?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    FayeandBo wrote: »
    Just for the record as well, going vegetarian cuts your carbon foot print in half.

You mean, "has the potential to cut your footprint in half."

Some of the most amazing desserts I've ever had were raw vegan from this vegan cafe in SF. Dear god.