Thoughts on veganism?

Options

Replies

• stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Not a vegan, and no interest in becoming one. I like my meat and dairy too much.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    pinktoesjb wrote: »
    I went vegan for a little while for a blog experiment, to be honest I didn't care for it and I felt quite listless and unwell a lot of the time and slept a lot more than usual! I didn't keep it up for a month though.

I think each to their own, sadly there are too many militant vegans trying to shame everyone else into doing it!

^THIS. I can respect vegans and vegetarians and their dietary choices, but not if they can't respect me and mine.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    F4nt4p4nts wrote: »
    Veganism is an interesting thing...

And do you use "fake meat" products, e.g. Tofu burgers, with little grill lines? Tofu sausages (looks like a white poo, with grill lines). I only know one vegan, and he uses so many products that replicate meat (even tofu bacon which is painted to look like streaky bacon) that it is actually disrespectful to tofu.

I brought this up on Facebook once. The post wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but one of my vegan "friends" got VERY angry about it. We're not friends any more. LOL

• fatcity66
    Options
    clewpage wrote: »
    Wow, lots of talk about snakes...I'm lost.
    Back to the original question.
    If you want to be vegan, for whatever reasons you choose, then go right ahead, your diet does not affect me in my life.
    The problem lies in the "militant vegan" attitude that is so rampant these days. That vegan is the ONLY way to be, and anyone NOT vegan is a horrible wretched person.
    I enjoy meat. I eat steak, I eat chicken, I eat fish.
    I try to buy free-range chicken and organic veggies when I can, but lets be honest, that stuff aint cheap, and last time I checked, I don't have a money tree in my back yard.

I also shoot and eat my own wild animals like deer, turkey, dove, duck, quail.
    Hunting, (it doesnt get any more free range than hunting, killing, and preparing your own meat), and having my own garden (I control the conditions), enables me to eat a healthful and balanced diet without going broke.
    I'm also a firm believer in conservation. In order for the herd to thrive, there has to be sufficient food to support it. By hunting and killing mature animals and keeping the overall population numbers in check, it allows the herd to maintain a steady level of existence.

You, I like.
  • thelazydandelion
    thelazydandelion Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I thought about posting last night but decided against it but today I thought what the hell, with so many opinions flying about I thought I may as well throw mine into the hat.

It's going to be a long one so brace yourself.

I was a omnivore for for 27 years and enjoyed the plethora of meat and and dairy produce, then in early 2013 I became "vegetarian", I only lasted half the year and ended it all with a McDonalds and went back to my meat eating ways but the whole time I felt bad about it. Then I went veggie again at the beginning of this year but it was a half hearted attempt because I had severe depression at the time so didn't care about anything. Roll forward to now and I've been 100% vegetarian for nearly 2 months and vegan for nearly 1.

The reason I chose to do this was because I couldn't justify eating meat when I had so much love for animals and I am super super sensitive to things like nature programmes where you see animals hunting and dying etc.... So I'm like wtf, I get upset about nature yet I'm fine with things being slaughtered by someone else for me.

So simply put, I like animals more than I like eating them.

I'm hesitant to say I'm vegan as I am only doing a month experiment and am likely to reintroduce some dairy into my diet but not a lot because I haven't missed things like cheese as much as I thought I would. I think it's so hard for most because eating all the cheese etc has become a routine you learn from birth so change is difficult. Going down this route has changed me considerably, I felt a lot of guilt eating meat so that isn't there anymore and I also feel like I've gained more control because dairy and meat used to rule my diet.

However I have no problems with people who consume these things unless they attack me or pigeon hole me with extreme vegans. I accept that not everyone is going to become a vegan as some people have no choice but I don't 100% agree with the argument focusing around privilege. Yes I am privileged in the fact I get to choose but I think that because we are able to choose, why not eat less meat etc. I think it's more of a privilege to eat meat that you don't have to hunt and kill or if you do, you have weapons which enable you to do so.

I do try to encourage people in my family to think outside the box when it comes to what they eat and look at the ingredients but I think that's good to do whatever you eat. I think it's in our interests to take more control of what we eat when we can.

So yeah, I'm not better than anyone else, I'm just doing what I believe is the right thing for me to do.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    Most vegans dont know wtf veganism is. Thats my thoughts.

this makes me assume you associate with many dumb people

Nope, sorry, I dont have any vegan friends.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    If you want to be vegan, for whatever reasons you choose, then go right ahead, your diet does not affect me in my life.
    The problem lies in the "militant vegan" attitude that is so rampant these days. That vegan is the ONLY way to be, and anyone NOT vegan is a horrible wretched person.
    I try to buy free-range chicken and organic veggies when I can, but lets be honest, that stuff aint cheap, and last time I checked, I don't have a money tree in my back yard.

Hunting, (it doesnt get any more free range than hunting, killing, and preparing your own meat), and having my own garden (I control the conditions), enables me to eat a healthful and balanced diet without going broke.
    I'm also a firm believer in conservation. In order for the herd to thrive, there has to be sufficient food to support it. By hunting and killing mature animals and keeping the overall population numbers in check, it allows the herd to maintain a steady level of existence.

You, I like.

Yeah, @clewpage has their head on right.
  • dbmata
    Options
    PS - I'm having a vegan breakfast today, as long as yeast is ok.

It's interesting, I feel like a tourist, I should take a picture.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I think it is great if someone is passionate about it, has good reasons to pursue it, and is able to reach their macro/micro nutrient goals while following the lifestyle. I personally have no negative feelings towards it, since it's just another way people can decide to eat.
  • ajravanos
    ajravanos Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ethically, i think it's incredible.
    health wise, consult your doctor.

i was a vegetarian for 6 years & did so without asking my doctor about it. i'd get sick all the time, easily bruised, high fatigue, etc. i was younger, stubborn, lived far away & by myself, & never went to the doctor. many years later, when i came home to visit my mother, she made a doctors appointment for me. turns out i was/am highly anemic & because i didn't eat the way i was supposed to, i ended causing some on-going health problems for myself.
    some people just need meat; regardless of how high in protein some veggies/beans/grains are. i made sure to eat high protein food all the time, but it didn't get the job done for me, apparently.

i still don't eat red meat or pork, & i hate the fact that i do eat chicken & fish, however, since i don't have much choice in the matter, i am very picky about where i buy meat from (because of ethical reasons). just because something says organic & free-range, by no means does that mean that the animals were treated better.

i go to a local farm that raises & treats their animals humanely & allow them to live out a happy life on huge land where they are free to roam around & not be packed so tightly together with a million other animals (& are also free of antibiotics, growth hormones, & medications once they have passed). before buying from this place, my farmer even let me come stay with the family for a weekend & help out on the farm to see how the animals are raised & understand the process of how everything works.

though i wish i was able to not eat meat at all (because i don't eat anything dairy is produced from, i also dont eat dairy, if that means anything), going to a humane farm & getting know my farmer & ensure that nothing unethical happens to the animals does put my mind at ease as much as it can.

also, if this is something that interests anyone, i found my farm through eatwild.com
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

We could be friends B) I agree with everything said in her post.

Not directed at @clewpage but I wanted everyone to know, chickens are OMNIVORES. I know this because when I was a kid my mom would throw snakes from the garden into the chicken coop and the chickens would eat that snake up like it was dessert. Also, if you have actually raised chickens, you would know they will eat on each other in a heart beat. They pick at the weakest chicken till they are dead and then they will eat some more. So, not only are they omnivores, but they can also be cannibalistic.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Neighbor has six chickens, they're like little dinosaur idiots.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It's always an interesting argument to say the least...

As I mentioned on the honey thread the other day, the ethical implications of not exploiting animals for food is one thing, but what about all of the modern conveniences (health care, automobiles, etc.) that also exploited animals during their nascent years? Do you plan on giving those up, too?

And even factory farming of fruits, vegetables, and grains is not exploitation-free. The itinerant farm workers are some of the lowest paid workers in the US and many of them are here illegally. Unless you are growing everything yourself you are still benefiting at the exploitation of other sentient beings. (And don't forget, even if you are growing it yourself, you'd have nothing without those bees busily pollinating everything...)

Not trying to be argumentative, just genuinely curious on how you compartmentalize this--this is where it always fell apart for me.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Cognitive dissonance is awesome! Do it! - sarcasm. (Not healthier and not more "ethical" and it's easy to figure out why with just a bit of research and logical thought. But what other adults decide to do doesn't really affect me much so whatever.)
  • dbmata
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Not trying to be argumentative, just genuinely curious on how you compartmentalize this--this is where it always fell apart for me.
    also as I have mentioned is the idea of the animals that have been crushed and shredded to death in combines and other harvesting equipment in the process of getting those ethicools plants to market.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I have several hardcore ethical vegans in my family.... it seems quite strenuous to me. While I respect much of what they believe, I am not able to incorporate it fully into my life-style. Over the years, I have found that what works best for me is to eat primarily a plant-based diet and eliminate red meat for the most part (which admittedly is more of a taste-bud thing with me). But I can't give up eggs, butter, cheese... and while I try to get as much protein from plant sources as I can, it just gets to be too much sometimes. I mean, it's really hard to beat a can of tuna and a bunch of cottage cheese for a major protein hit...and not having eggs for breakfast would be particularly problematic...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian, but I will say that I found a plethora of studies comparing different diets, and veganism consistently comes out on top with positive health outcomes when compared to things like Mediterranean, Paleo, low-fat, etc. If you go to Google Scholar, you'll find tons of studies.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I am just going to go outright and say this, but I don't have all that much respect for the "vegan belief system" whatsoever. If you are vegan, great. Don't tell me about it. I don't care. I don't want to know. I likely wont even notice if we happen to be eating together and you don't happen to say. I don't pay attention to what anyone else eats, or orders off a menu.

But as soon as that conversation comes up - I immediately lose respect for the person. Why? Because I have never had this conversation with anyone where it *didn't* turn into a holier-than-thou conversation.

Veganism is a religion. It is no different than someone getting their belief system out of an old book.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It's not healthier. It's not elevated morality. It doesn't make any sense to me. I have no use for it. Plain and simple.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I tried Veganism and I found it too hard to give up eggs and the cheese. I switched back to vegetarian. I HATED the fake cheese. I didn't mind the fake meat though, some are quite tasty but full of sugar.

Now that I am on the Dr. Oz diet, I had to give up the cheese, AGAIN. At least, I still have the eggs. I get them from my farmer friend. It's a small operation, mostly different heritage chickens.