HOLY TOLEDO!!! What's the biggest calorie shock you've had

Options

Replies

• tjnowlin
    tjnowlin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I thought I was eating healthy. I would have a bowl of brown sugar oatmeal w/ a scoop of peanut butter, a handful of almonds, raisins, and dried cranberries. It was like 800 calories.........FOR BREAKFAST! If it wasnt for MFP I would have kept eating it blindly thinking I was doing good.
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    OIL! I always thought I was cooking lovely healthy meals at home, but never realised how much fat I was adding by using too much olive oil. Now I measure very, very carefully! I made chicken fried rice last night and it took forever because I was constantly comparing sunflower/vegetable/sesame oils and tweaking the recipe (and entering values into MFP) the entire time!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Pea Salad of all things, 661 calories per serving. The mayo and the bacon being the culprits. Oh, and the cheese!
    Picture049.jpg

finishedburger.jpg

Wonder how many calories in this?!
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    In the UK we have a pub chain called Wetherspoons and I'm constantly surprised by the calories in their food. The Chicken Ceaser Salad is 759 calories! Thats more than three sausages, mash and peas which comes out at 720.

I always try to look at the menu before I go now but yesterday they'd run out of Superfood Chicken Salad I wanted (468) and so the asked if I wanted the chicken ceaser instead. I'm glad now I chose the sausage and mash. Even if it is only just lower in cals, it filled me up till tea time whereas the salad wouldn't have. Also, I didn't actually manage to finish the whole plate so two sauages was enough.
  • JillSymes
    JillSymes Posts: 34
    Options
    A little ready made cheese and onion quiche. A quick look on the front of the box said 580 cals so i thought great go halves with my husband. While recycling the box later i saw that the 580 cals was for 1/4 of the pie. Gutted!!
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    DQ Blizzards... omigoodness... calorie shock city! Like 800 calories in that cup!

get the mini ones. they're about half the calories and fat. i mean sure you don't want to eat a 400 cal desert daily but for an occasional treat it's a lot better than 800 cals.
  • rurukidoo
    rurukidoo Posts: 54
    Options
    2 slices....just 2 slices of Papa Johns Pizza 625 cals and that not mentioning all that sodium!!! That'll teach me to try having left overs for lunch :laugh:
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Starbucks apple chai tea has over 300 calories in a grande. There's no way to make it light either. I'm better off having a light frappuccino! I still treat myself every once in a while!
  • ukjessi
    ukjessi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My shock was def. my favorite salad from Chilis "Quesadilla Explosion" and oh yeah, the devilish deesert i'd crave "Chocolate Molten".. I entered it in and about died.. Haha.. Any restaurant food like that has shocked me. I'm MUCH more aware of what i'm putting into my body since i've joined MFP.

Me too! Both combined are over 2400 calories! Thats practically 2 days worth of calories. Thankfully we always split the dessert, but still!
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Starbucks apple chai tea has over 300 calories in a grande. There's no way to make it light either. I'm better off having a light frappuccino! I still treat myself every once in a while!

Those are so delicious! I was so sad when I found this out :sad: I'm a big fan of their passion fruit iced tea though when I'm going there looking for something that's not going to kill my calorie count for the day. Unsweetened is very few calories, but I usually like to add a splenda or two...
  • kfuller27
    kfuller27 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine ordered Jimmy Johns the other day and got an extra pickle (a whole big one) and asked if I wanted it. Just out of curiosity, I checked it in MFP and there were 3,500 mg of sodium! I almost died!
  • caclinton10
    caclinton10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can get Don Pancho's Whole Wheat Tortilla's that are 10 like calories each. The worst thing about flour tortilla's is the sodium. These also have so so so much less.
  • Clovergirl17
    Options
    Also, GRANOLA. Serious calories in that stuff.

Actually, one of my favorite snacks is Nature Valley Honey and Oats Granola bars. You get two bars for only 190 calories! Plus they taste AMAZING. I picked up a big box of 12 packs for about 5 bucks at Walmart! Hope this helps!
  • itsgotsnuts
    itsgotsnuts Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My favorite ice cream is from Coldstone Creamery. I always used to get the small size ("like it" size) of the Mint Mint Chocolate Chocolate Chip ice cream. I recently looked it up....it's 900+ calories :(

Now, that IS shocking! A small bowl, too.
  • michellemariescott
    michellemariescott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pea Salad of all things, 661 calories per serving. The mayo and the bacon being the culprits. Oh, and the cheese!
    Picture049.jpg

finishedburger.jpg

Wonder how many calories in this?!

Oh no, I love that pea salad in the summertime. Will have to try to fine a low-cal version - maybe using fat free cheese, fat free mayo and turkey bacon.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    1400 calories in my favorite salad from Chilis - Quesidilla Explosion Salad. That's just wrong on so many levels!

This! I was going to "be healthy" and get a salad so I looked before we went. Thank goodness I did. That's just ridiculous.
  • Taylora94
    Taylora94 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My biggest shock had to be when I ate dinner at olive garden. Before I ordered my favorite dinner spagetti and chicken Parmesan I looked up the calories. For one cutlet of chicken parmesan it was 1,000 calories!!!
  • JackiSto
    JackiSto Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mine was actually on behalf of my boyfriend who was curious how much his standard Perkins breakfast rang in at - omelette, bacon, pancakes - 1800!!
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    Today I got a different calorie shock. After my friend and I went hiking for an hour and a half, we went to Panera's. She had soup, salad, and baguette. I had salad and sandwich...Her's was 100 calories more than mine! At least we had already worked off the calories!
  • Jillatha
    Jillatha Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    when I inputted what I used to eat daily and it came to 12000 calories! 20000mg of sodium!