Deadlift Challenge

Options

Replies

• margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Ok, so women have to do 10reps at 250lbs, right. Im getting ready to add some deadlifts to my training, i currently do stiff leg. Ive got an experienced guy gonna help me. I dont expect to do this in 2 months but im gonna give it a shot, i love a challenge and a specific goal. This is perfect.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Gave it a touch of a try today with three plates. It's doable once my shoulder gets better. Fun stuff.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Debating doing this, but I have a meet in 2 weeks, then another in February, so will have to see if I can do without messing up my training too much. Current program is pretty low volume for deads, and only singles, so this would definitely throw things off.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a dead lift question..... I thought you just went past your knees with the bar and then stood straight back up with your knees only slightly bent. (that's how they do it in my workout video) Is that wrong?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »
    I have a dead lift question..... I thought you just went past your knees with the bar and then stood straight back up with your knees only slightly bent. (that's how they do it in my workout video) Is that wrong?

that's a different type of deadlift

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    TFW the OP and so many others in the thread are stronger than you.

I never do higher volume so I'm not sure how many I could do.

I get in 285x5

Biggest lift was 350x2 while weighing 153 lbs.

My numbers are very similar except I am 20 lbs heavier. I usually work up to one heavy set so 25 reps sounds pretty tough.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    After my back has given out doing deadlifts I won't be deadlifting for a while...boo hoo : (
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    what % of your 1RM is that?

Just curious how screwed I will be when I try it. ;)

If I remember, you're in the mid 400s? You could do 250x25 easy.

But yeah, I'm out on this one. Last deadlift challenge I did was BWxAMRAP (did 215x50) and I couldn't walk for about a week. High rep deadlifts are really dumb.

50 reps? Without rest and a high weight, probably really dumb. 25? Not that high. 5x5 programs have you doing 25 and many hypertrophy programs have you doing even more. There is no rule saying you can't take a break for 30 seconds to a minute.

Stronglifts tells you to do 1x5 on DL

I think this challenge is stupid and dangerous.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I get in 285x5

You would probably need a couple of weeks to work the endurance aspect since 25 is a long time to be lifting, but your strength would be adequate since there doesn't seem to be a requirement for them to be continuous unless I've missed something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

But yeah, I'm out on this one. Last deadlift challenge I did was BWxAMRAP (did 215x50) and I couldn't walk for about a week. High rep deadlifts are really dumb.

are you at my gym??? LOL- we just did that on monday- and yes walking was difficult till thursday- I had to pull DL from pins on WED and needless to say it was NOT awesome.

(Girl who won pulled 115 reps at roughly 145. bizhzes.)
    50 reps? Without rest and a high weight, probably really dumb
    usually those are as many reps as possible- you just can't let your hands leave the bar- but I don't know what his was. That's the rules on ours- same for yours essentially.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I get in 285x5

You would probably need a couple of weeks to work the endurance aspect since 25 is a long time to be lifting, but your strength would be adequate since there doesn't seem to be a requirement for them to be continuous unless I've missed something.

Yeah I guess, but I've never been into the endurance thing. The most reps I get in are 10-12 when I'm running an upper/lower split with 2 power and 2 hypertrophy days. Combined with the fact that I do no cardio, my endurance sucks.

What? No 100 rep hell workouts? >:)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

50 reps? Without rest and a high weight, probably really dumb. 25? Not that high. 5x5 programs have you doing 25 and many hypertrophy programs have you doing even more. There is no rule saying you can't take a break for 30 seconds to a minute.

Making blanket statements is stupid and dangerous.

Just because one beginner program suggests a set of 1x5 on the DL does not mean it is the end all be all.

However, I will agree that if 250 lbs is too high of a % of your 1rm or you cannot execute a deadlift with proper form then you will have a higher chance of injury.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Blanket statements are terrible. Just because one program says one set of 5 reps doesn't mean it's the superior way to deadlift.

I've run 4x12, 3x10, 5x5, 5/3/1, 10x10. My PR for deadlift is also 341.5 pounds. When I did this challenge the first time I was a bit sore the next day, but no more than I would have been doing any other deadlift session.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Hi rep deadlifts are an amazingly stupid idea, and just the sort of absolute nonsense that a supplement huckster like Stoppani would come up with.

People should really know better than this. It's just a recipe for lumbar problems.

People say high rep anything is incredibly stupid, but what's the difference between saying 25 reps and saying 5x5? It doesn't say you can't rest, you just can't walk away from the bar.

You do know there are German Volume deadlift programs that have worked very well for many successful lifters, right? 10x6, 10x10, 6x10, etc.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi rep deadlifts are an amazingly stupid idea, and just the sort of absolute nonsense that a supplement huckster like Stoppani would come up with.

People should really know better than this. It's just a recipe for lumbar problems.

http://youtu.be/dwFLIA6wTLE

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

People say high rep anything is incredibly stupid, but what's the difference between saying 25 reps and saying 5x5? It doesn't say you can't rest, you just can't walk away from the bar.

You do know there are German Volume deadlift programs that have worked very well for many successful lifters, right? 10x6, 10x10, 6x10, etc.

We used to call these California Hundreds muscleandstrength.com/articles/100-rep-shocker-muscle-building-workout and they were around when I was a young lifter in the late 80's. I don't think they have been shown to be any more dangerous but you have to respect the lifts and understand how to keep your form and bail on a lift when doing highly technical lifts.
  • usmcmp
    Options

http://youtu.be/dwFLIA6wTLE

Should have thought of Doug Miller <3
    10426132_336362693212681_2851846814350539384_n.jpg?oh=1dea7e7ed9adb94cc6051c7789f98214&oe=54ED581F