WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Today is the day I turn 60 so it is appropriate to begin afresh! New week, new year, new goals for me. Thanks in advance for the support. This thread rocks!

(*) Happy 60th birthday drkatiebug!! the 60's have been a new kind of decade for me. I wish you all good things that it can bring.

(*) Sylvia - it is true, males can be victimized as much as females. It is just not that publicized. In addition, it is so much more difficult when things happens to your adult children, as there is less potential to intervene in the choices they make. My heart goes out to you at this difficult time.

(*) Lesley in Tasmania - Your doctor's nutrition plan seems like a good plan to me. You will lose weight as you can see already. Experts say that diet is 75% - 80% of fitness. Personally, I did not lose weight by exercising but by adjusting my nutritional intake, although I exercised as well in order to be fit. I wish it were different. I think it was different when I was younger and my metabolism took care of a lot of things.

I had a day off today, and got a bunch of things done. One of them was to check out a new washer and dryer. Although our dryer is still going after 25 years, we have gone through several washers (4 kids will do that). Anyway, our last one has been a front loader, and I am getting less and less impressed with it. I want to go back to a top loader. Anyone have an opinion?

'nough for now. Have a great night.
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I write with sadness......Gin died this evening; she left this earth quietly. She was a woman of kindness and grace, always polite, pleasant, and always impeccably dressed and groomed. It was a privilege to have known her and I will miss her. Most of my evening has been spent making phone calls to the rest of our exercise group.

Sylvia........my heart is with you; how awful and stressful........didn't any of the neighbors call the police on her, she sounds like she could be dangerous. How terrible for all involved. I echo the advice to involve a lawyer if he will. Moving away from the support he has (namely you) and his health team does not seem especially well thought out and he will realize this, I hope.

Heather......Congrats on finding your LBD!!!!

Donna........Wonderful loss, WTG!!!

Kataniki.........I certainly agree that boring is often a good thing. Hope your Indian food was better tonight!

Renny.......I bought a new washer about a year ago......got a top loader, a Speed Queen, and so far very happy with it. Have heard several of my friends who got front loaders speak of being quite disenchanted with them.....not sure of the exact reasons though.

Spoke with both cousins who are in nursing homes this afternoon and my cousin in Philly; he's getting ready for a long weekend in NYC and full of plans! He did ask how my friend (Heather) enjoyed her stay and I was able to give him a glowing report!!!

G'nite all,
    yanniejannie

• genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well I'm finally back. Logged back in last Monday with a new higher weight, but I've managed to shed 1.8 lbs for this first week. I've been trying to catch up on all the posts and am up to page 27.

I have joined an aerobic class on Monday and a knees and hips class on Tuesday which wasn't my first choice as I wanted to space my exercise throughout the week.

Still I'm back and determined to get some of these excess lbs gone. Just got back from 10 days in UK and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't gain any weight while I was there.

Genealace in Ottawa, Canada
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did one segment of "The 10 Minute Solution Butt Lift", then held my plank for 2 min 35 sec (maybe next time I'll try adding another 5 seconds -- I'll see how I feel), then took the extreme pump class. Tomorrow's plan is to do a Step and Tone DVD.

barbie - I've always been able to log my breakfast and dinner for the next day. Also, around holiday time when I know that I'm not going to be logging in, I log my breakfast the day(s) before and MFP always counted that as my having logged in. Is there any way to find out how long you've been here? Isn't there some way to see all of your posts (not all of the groups', what I mean is all of the ones that I did)

Kim - I also find it helpful to prelog food (if I can). Then I can usually see if I'll be over and perhaps there's something that I really don't need to have and can elimiate that.

MarleyJoe - I'm sorry, I can't help you with the tracker. But I'm sure someone else on here can. Hey, at 50 you're a baby!

Viv - sorry your hubby still isn't well. But on the bright side....your post reminded me that I needed to call to schedule my colonoscopy. On second thought...maybe that wasn't such a good idea :)

Cynthia - I have an android phone. Yes, I have these mini blending cups (4 cups) and put the banana and cocoa in it and blend away. The banana has a hint of sweetness, but not so much that it makes me crave sugars. For the next few days I'm going to have the tofu/cocoa mixture, mainly because I have two tubs of tofu that have an expiration date of Friday

fit_abbey - welcome! Where are you from?

Joyce - two out of three ain't bad -- Michelle is nicotene free, has a new guy, pretty soon she'll be back. Doesn't it just kill you when you know that someone is wrong for your child but you can't do anything about it? I'm just so sad that Pete's family isn't encouraging Denise to further her career (just like they're not encouraging Pete) but handing them everything. What's going to happen when they're no longer here to hand them everything? Those kids will have no idea how to take care of themselves. I'm so glad in a way that I'm in NC and not around that situation every day. I'd get an ulcer

Heather - I'm sorry your lower back hurts. I know that sometimes mine will hurt but that's because my hamstrings are the tightest on the planet.

Alison - what a trip you had! I don't blame you for not wanting to go back

drkatiebug - happy birthday!

Carol - I always have to use lighter weights when doing lateral raises, too. The shoulder muscles are smaller than, say, biceps, so it's not surprising. What you don't want to do is injur yourself. I'll keep your daughter in my prayers. So sorry to hear that the townhouse might not happen

Sylvia - Is there a reason why your son puts up with this? What if something had happened to one of the children, how could he have called for help? How nice of you to let him and the kids stay at your house! My heart bleeds for your son and especially the kids

Heather - your LBD and accessories sound just gorgeous

Terri - was the twisted knee serious? Hope not

kataniki - I'm much better right now. Just as I suspected, it was a reaction to the flu shot. I swear, being retired is hard work, there seems to be something that I'm always doing! I need to learn "no" also. I remember when the kids were little someone saying "oh, she can do that, she's not working". I got pulled into so many things it wasn't even funny. And, unfortunately, it isn't stopping.

Yesterday we got a letter from the managing association for the condo that our a/c needs to be replaced. Seems 4 people at the condo received them. Right now Vince is trying to get everyone together and hopefully if we all use the same guy, we can get a lower price. Another expense!

Lesley - what a loss! Congrats! All good things come to those who wait!!!!

Jan - oh, I am so so sorry to hear about Gin

Went to mahjongg tonight, didn't maj even once. Oh well....

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie, so sorry to hear about Gin; I know her passing will leave a hole in your life; hopefully all the good memories will help fill it.

in peace,
    Kim
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We still don't have the floor completely dry, just a little moist but I don't know what more we can do to finish it. Michelle came over after work and she said she has a dehumidifier and will bring it over tomorrow. Charlie doesn't think that will work but yet he didn't want to do half of what I read from research on the internet. One site said to take up a small bit of the carpet to see if the pad is wet and dry from above the carpet and again between the two layers and the pad also. I know what the best solution is but it would be major hit to the savings account. Have a professional come out, we would have to completely empty the laundry room, remove the dry wall behind the washer and dryer and then actually paint it! What a unique idea!!! Also dry wall all around the laundry room instead of just having the studs. We sued to have an old console tape player/record player unit, huge thing. So I completely took it apart except the frame, and bottom. I wanted to use the top for folding clothes and the lower base to store things like blankets. Well now all of it just stores junk. I am not sure if that got wet or not. aS I have said, I just stayed out of the way until I knew he was calm. But if it is damaged, throw it away and get a proper cabinet or just a table for folding and then actually have a small shelf for hanging instead of the cheap rolling thing I got at a yard sale. It does the trick but I would like a proper painted laundry room, with cheerful pictures and everything. I never liked out family room carpet, it is a light tan and that is where we eat all our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Last year there were 4 babies plus my 6 year old grand child. This year we have added 2 more babies. Well one won't be born until December 10th. So I would like new carpet and all of our base board and trim professionally installed. Charlie doesn't believe in doing it 'right'. He just wants to get ti done.

Michelle came over after work in order to give us some leftovers from work. They had a potluck supper tonight and she made to many deviled eggs. Charlie had told me that he would like to tell her to watch 'Guess who's coming to dinner'. I told him that that is not a good idea and that he needs to show her the same kind of support and acceptance that he showed her Saturday night when she told us about her new boyfriend. He did anyway. Her response was 'I've never heard of it.' Then they got onto politics which is his favorite subject and he would like to make everyone think the same way. We found out that this guy is of a different political view than he is and that Michelle has voted the other view when she likes that person. I can see trouble in the future

Happy birthday Katie bug. Carol how is your son doing in college

joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I'm so sorry your son is in such a tough spot. Moving seems like a good idea, but can't he simply move somewhere else in town rather than move away completely? I'll keep all of you in my prayers. The grandkids need you in their lives.:heart:

Katla
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :)
    I'm a little worried this morning, DH got a call yesterday afternoon asking him to go to the hospital for the results of his CT scan (he had the scan last week) :| When we were at the doctors yesterday I asked her about the results and they hadn't come in yet, she said it could take up to 3 weeks.
    At least we'll know what is wrong with him - he's been unwell since July and it seems one thing gets a little better and he gets something else (he's got a mouth infection at the moment)
    I must admit though I am quite nervous about getting the results.

Michele sorry for reminding you your colonosopy is due

Belated Happy Birthday Drkatiebug

YannieJannie sorry for your loss.

Well I'd better get a move on - I have to let work know that I need the morning off - luckily our new boss has been very understanding when I've had to leave at short notice and go in later, as long as he knows what's going on.

Take care

Viv (aka Wizzy) York UK
  • fit_abbey
    Options
    Hello all. I have read through the posts for today, and can see how supportive you are towards each other. Hopefully I'll be able to slowly work into your group during the month of November.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,742 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    feel sort of rested today.. woke up and was awake for almost 2 hrs early morning.
    I did not eat well yesterday. i have gained about 10 lbs in the last month, as I havent done a blessed thing except run run run,.
    I said a prayer last night that i get back on the weight loss path..
    I did call Ruth yesterday to tell her I got home alright, she had left a message on my phone sunday just checking on me..
    It is sad that people have to be the way they are.. she told me that Doris was just jealous that I was spending so much time on her..well anyway there furnace or thermostat went south, so maybe when they come to fix it they will see the black mold and get that taken care of without me saying anything,,
    Ruth started crying on the phone yesterday saying she couldnt thank me enough for all I did and that I am the only friend she has left :'( ..
    I will call and check that they got the heat back on at the end of the week..
    I have a full day of work ahead of me so will probably not be able to check in tonight... going to try and get out for a walk this morning....
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone from sunny Hampshire. :flowerforyou:

Viv - sending you big hugs today! ((((((0)))))) :flowerforyou: Whatever the results at least you will know what you are dealing with. <3

My back is a bit easier this morning, but still stiff and sore. I did 400 cals on the machines, which is a 100 less than usual, and just 8 mins stretching. No weight lifting! :noway: Haven't taken any pain killers yet, but will do so soon. I kept well inside cals yesterday, so will try to repeat the regime today. I have things to do in the garden, very gingerly, so that will keep me busy, and I want to start of the Christmas cake and mincemeat. We have spicy salmon with celeriac puree tonight and green beans. The big difference yesterday was a light lunch and avoiding an afternoon snack apart from a kiwi fruit. I kept saying to myself, "hunger is not an emergency" ! ! ! ! :laugh: I have run out of shiritaki noodles, they are on order, so I couldn't resort to them.
    I MUST lose these pesky 2 lbs that have crept up on me. :sad:

Still haven't heard back from the birthday venue. :grumble: I mentioned, very tactfully, over our morning cup of tea, that DH might text the mobile number. (Not ring as they might be abroad) He mumbled his agreement. :tongue: I find it sooooo hard not to interfere, but it's his birthday and something he wants to do. :love:
    He also seems reluctant to take the DVD/HDD in for repair. But we do have to go down to the industrial park to look at paint and wallpaper for the bedroom, so might chivvy him on tomorrow. Today is beautiful weather so best spent in the garden doing outside chores. Tomorrow is forecast rain.
    I'm pleased with my LBD. Tried it all on last night and the bling necklace looks good with it. I would say it isn't the fitted look I was aiming for, but those ones felt uncomfortable and I am too old to suffer for beauty. :laugh: Someone (Katanika?)asked about "holdups". They are stockings that have sticky tops and stay up by themselves. Couldn't wear those when I was fat as I couldn't get them round my thighs. :laugh:

Love to everyone. I often think, throughout the day, of those of you who have BIG troubles on their plates. <3

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie ... so sorry to hear that you've lost Gin ... you were a good friend to her. Praying good memories bring you comfort.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    yanniejannie: I'm so sorry that you've lost Gin. She was lucky to have you in her life. I hope you will be able to remember the good times. :broken_heart::heart:
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yanniejannie...sorry for your unexpected loss. :heart:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their kind and supportive messages on Gin's loss. You are all appreciated sooooo much. Will get info on the services later.
    yanniejannie
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie, I'm so sorry, too, about Gin. You were a wonderful friend to her and you will miss her. :'(

Thanks everybody for your kind words about my son's situation. His wife is still finding ways to mess with him. She had access to his passwords and went online as him and signed him up for a bunch of gay/transvestite dating services and then e-mailed his ex-wife (the kids mom) telling her what a degenerate he is. She also accused him of stealing her rent money. He didn't, but of course, he can't prove it. What a horrible person! I cannot believe what all she has done, but the worst by far is how she treated the kids. She called them lots of names they didn't understand, but the one they did was "diseased". She told her son he couldn't talk to them because they were diseased. >:)>:) She called my phone last night and when I answered she launched into a big rant. I tried to stop her, but she just kept going, so I hung up and blocked her number. Then she started e-mailing me. We're saving it all for the lawyer. Today our two biggest goals are to meet with the lawyer and to get car insurance for his car.

Last night I worked harder than I have in my life. Tending to three kids is really hard work! I took them to WalMart to get each a new outfit so they didn't have to go back to the apartment and risk running into her. Then we played outside for a good long time, since it was so nice. Then made dinner and nobody wanted the same things. I felt like a short order cook. And then I had to clean the bathtubs so they could take a bath. (I am not a great housekeeper, so they needed cleaning really bad. On the plus side, the bathrooms are cleaner than they have ever been.) Then doing their laundry. Helping with homework. Then getting beds ready. We only have one spare bed, which the girls are using, so we had to make up the sofas for my son and grandson. I was exhausted by 8:30, and in bed sound asleep by 9:30.

The kids are having a blast with Bruno though. He's such a funny little dog. An endless source of amusement. Yesterday Molly BIT my son on the upper thigh. Didn't draw blood but left a bruise. She she has to be locked in her crate while they are there. Poor thing.

Well, I have to get busy looking up car insurance. I hope you have a great day!

Sylvia
  • swimnurseteacher7
    swimnurseteacher7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I am new to this group. I am 65 years old, married with 4 adult children and 7 grandchildren. None of them live in my city so I have to travel to see them. I am having pain in my shoulder for about 12 months now. This is a pain that came out of the blue. I can not tie it to a specific injury or activity. I am going to physical therapy and using heat and Ibuprofen to handle it. My doctor has given me one cortisone injection which I don't know if it helped or not. As for my weight I have lost 30 lbs but have 20 more to go. I am at a plateau right now. I have been traveling and not getting the exercise I need. I am seeking support and pals to go on this journey. thanks.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, Jan, all suffering or worrying. prayers to all ! ! ! I hope you find the peace, strength, and options needed for yourselves and your loved ones.

Between the RA and OA, my knees still hurt, but the twist was not damaging, just painful. It's odd that the RA pain can be more or less tolerable depending on which joints are having a flare, but I'm just too stubborn to take anything stronger than tylenol or alleve. I will get on that exercise bike anyway today, and aim for 10 minutes again. I will also do my hip and shoulder exercises between patients and phone calls.

I "sort-of" understand the frustrations of adult children making bad choices. My DD had a terrible boyfriend a few years ago, and it took every ounce of my being to keep my mouth shut and just be as supportive as possible (I offered suggestions, but walked on egg shells with my words). Now I tell DS (14 y.o.) "make good choices" every day.

This diet thing can be so hard. DH doesn't care how much either of us weighs, and he just eats whatever whenever he wants. (At least this hubby doesn't bring home my favorites that he hates in an attempt to sabotage like my ex used to do.) He also refuses to exercise. I just keep telling him to get more Life Insurance so I can mourn in Maui.

DS is in every sport possible, so he eats like a growing active teenage boy. I used to be like that, several decades ago. Now, I seem to be the only person in the house who buys or eats fresh food.

I also believe in this food/sleep/stress association. Wednesdays and Fridays are extra-hard to NOT overeat. My DS has basketball practice until 10:00pm every Tuesday and Thursday evening, then we have to get up at 4:00am to start our early days Wednesdays and Fridays. I feel bad for him, too, since it must be hard to concentrate and stay awake in school after only getting 6 hours of sleep.

Wow, this got too rambling.

Wishing everyone a great day from Terri in cold yet sunny Milwaukee.
  • Kataniki
    Kataniki Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the tip on tracking fiber – I added it in. I also like to add meals before I eat them to see if I need to make any adjustments. I am low on calories every day but sodium is crazy high – I need to eat fewer processed foods, eek! I really need to get some exercise in but have been exhausted after work the past few days. Ran out to get my hair cut on lunch hour today and spend a little time on MFP, at least I take the stairs here...

Sorry my post ran together yesterday, I will try using bullets today to make a little space. If I have time, I will use smileys.
    (*) Crazydoglady – just feeding cows sounds like good exercise! Sounds like you had a fun, if busy weekend!
    (*) Hope you enjoyed a lovely day of celebration, Drkatiebug!
    (*) Jan – so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, may your memories bring you comfort. Thanks for thinking of us all at this time, yes, the Indian was better – I enjoyed it for dinner last night and again for lunch today. I was so tired last night, it was wonderful not to have to cook.
    (*) Hi Genealace – kudos for maintaining while traveling! I know that would be a challenge for me as I like to be on vacation from eating healthy as well…
    (*) Michele in NC – glad to hear you are better! I’ve got about 17 years to retirement age – so not thinking about it too much – but I know I want to slow down some… My mother wore herself out by age 74 – I don’t want to do the same. She never said no to anything, never rested and then got sick and had no reserves. She had a minor illness that just overwhelmed her tired body and passed away a few weeks later. The first question my doctor, trainer, nutritionist ask me is how much sleep am I getting – for good reason!
    (*) Joyce – have you considered calling your insurance company? When my water heater flooded my basement, the insurance company sent in professionals to do everything you are talking about – got drywall, carpet replaced and the entire basement painted for my $500 deductible.
    (*) Viv – holding space for you as you navigate your DHs journey with his health.
    (*) Fitabbey – can be a bit overwhelming, I am slowly getting to know the regulars, please join in!
    (*) Heather – glad to hear you have some ease in your back pain. Stretching always helps me – hamstrings are too tight from sitting at a desk all day at work. Thanks for explaining “hold-ups,” I am also too old to suffer for fashion so I don’t wear stockings at all! If it is cold or I am wearing a shorter dress, I wear tights that are very comfortable but nothing on my legs most of the year. No one does and I am thrilled for that change in fashion!
    (*) Sylvia – yeah for getting an attorney involved. It sounds like the girlfriend has a personality disorder – you may want to learn more about this. Some people call it a “high conflict” personality. You can’t rationalize with these people. You and your son may want to check out this book and the site for support and information: http://www.outofthefog.net/OtherBooks.html
    http://www.outofthefog.net/index.html
    (*) Welcome Swimnurseteach!
    (*) Terrimom – good for you recognizing the sleep/overeating connection – how do you get up at 4am? Yikes!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great Tues~~
    hugs