No Grain...No Pain!!!

Options

Replies

• ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for primal bread, so we can still have sandwiches, spaghetti squash instead of pasta, I can't wait to try the shredded zucchini or eggplant pizza crust, have had mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Oh, and Pizza-bellas!! Baked the big portabella mushrooms then toppoed them with crushed tomatoes mixed with italian seasoning, then add the cheese, meats, veggies and bake for another 10 minutes. Didn't take any longer than a Digiorno.

These are great suggestions! The pizzas sound really yummy! Thank you!

So, tell me.... Just how good is mashed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes?
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I like it better than potatoes. I boiled it then threw butter, pepper, and garlic in it before mashing. We told the kids it was mashed potatoes and they ate it up, didn't know the difference. I have made it as a side and put it on top of the hamburger pie I make, and everyone ate it. I think it would be something you have to try and see if you like it, but can be done anyway you make real mashed. I want to make sour cream and chive next. It has a mild flavor to it, nothing to strong.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Sorry I kinda just dissapeared after making the group. I live in North Alabama and we have had a rough couple of days. The town I grew up in is destroyed. So far, all of my family is accounted for, but many are homeless. I don't have cable or internet at home (even though i'm not complaining b/c many don't have power at all), so i won't be on except during the day at work. Don't worry, I'm still all in for the challenge and am updating my spreadsheet now. So glad to see so many people involved. I will get around to responding to people when I can. Keep the group going for me :)
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to how many of you here have a family that eats like you do, or if they have not adapted.

I live with my fiance, and I've gotten him to cut out some of the sugar, but his favorite foods are bread and pasta, and he drinks like 4 glasses of nesquik chocolate milk every night. He's very supportive of me eating this way (because he see's how happy and well I am). I don't want to be a pain, because I believe in free will, and that food choices are very personal, and he has every right to eat all the carbs his heart desires- but he doesn't come from a family with the greatest health history. And he has family with diabetes on both sides- so I worry about him.

How do you all handle your eating lifestyle along with your family's?

I have a 3 year old, who eats what he eats - which is hardly anything, he seems to have no interest in food. Thankfully my son got my ex's metabolism (and not personality/insanity!) and I dont think will have any problem with his weight.

My fiance eats... well, he just got out of college, lived with 2 roommates, he is still coming out of his college eating phase. Not that its really hurt him, he's 6'3 and maybe 165lbs. Skinny. I'm sure we look comical because I'm 5'2 and sadly rounded :sad: But he is so supportive of how I eat, we have our meals together I just make adjustments for myself (regular pasta/bread for him and low-carb options for me). But he eats everything I make, and really enjoys it so he will be an easy convert if I can get himi to give up that Mt Dew! :angry:
  • MissKim
    Options
    NAME STARTING GOAL amt to lose
    1 Kim 204 180 24
    2 Ashley 162 140 22
    3 Pearlie 255.6 235.6 20
    4 Dan 232 217 15
    5 Stephanie 140 120 20
    6 Nancy 177 130 47
    7 Missi 156 125 31
    8 Susan 171 158 13
    9 Erica 160 150 10
    10 Pam 187 175 12
    11 Meganne 173 150 23
    12 David 230 220 10
    13 Kristie 133 120 13
    14 Leslie 296 276 20
    15 Nicole 133.6 125 8.6
    16 Brandi 146 135 11
    17 Lindsay 210 199 11
    18 chryl 158 130 28
    19 Katy 147 140 7
    20 brangwen 160 150 10
    21 Becca 224 214 10
    22 Simone 139.6 125 14.6
    23 rachel 258 248 10
    24 Amy 113 113 0
    25 Lindsey 164 150 14
    26 Kimberly 133 129 4
    27 nikole 231 219 12
    28 Tina 222 175 47
    29 0
    30 Hannah 215 200 15

This is just a quick look at the members and goals. Please send me a private message if you would like to change anything, or if i messed anything up. and others are welcome to join at anytime. just post the original post with your info!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Sorry I kinda just dissapeared after making the group. I live in North Alabama and we have had a rough couple of days. The town I grew up in is destroyed. So far, all of my family is accounted for, but many are homeless. I don't have cable or internet at home (even though i'm not complaining b/c many don't have power at all), so i won't be on except during the day at work. Don't worry, I'm still all in for the challenge and am updating my spreadsheet now. So glad to see so many people involved. I will get around to responding to people when I can. Keep the group going for me :)

Oh my gosh! So glad your family is all safe. And a huge congratulations for you for not making it an 'excuse' to give up your healthy eating! My weakness is when things get a little crazy, I just say 'okay, i'll have time for this when things calm down.' But not you! Keep it up, we'll be keeping you in our thoughts. :flowerforyou:
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    So, tell me.... Just how good is mashed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE mashed cauliflower! Just don't expect it to taste like potatoes. Similar consistency, but still, it's cauliflower :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options

I LOVE LOVE LOVE mashed cauliflower! Just don't expect it to taste like potatoes. Similar consistency, but still, it's cauliflower :)

I never had success at making mashed cauliflower to the consistency of mashed potato... or as tasty as they make it at Red Robin... but I love "riced cauliflower"
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options

I never had success at making mashed cauliflower to the consistency of mashed potato... or as tasty as they make it at Red Robin... but I love "riced cauliflower"

What is riced cauliflower? I'm intrigued.
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Name: Marline Dorcinvil
    Kids: none
    Pets: none
    Married/SO: single
    Eating Lifestyle: Adkins (plan on starting on May 2)
    Starting weight: 200 lbs
    Goal Weight: 150 lbs
    Goals for this 8 wks: lose 20 pound, work out 6 times a week and always log.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options

cauliflower put through a food processor/blender and coarsely blended to a rice-like consistency. I throw it in the microwave for 90 seconds with a little garlic, bacon fat... yummmm
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Name: Jessica
    Kids: 5
    Pets: 4 cats, 1 dog
    Married/SO: yep, married
    Eating Lifestyle: atkinsish
    Starting weight: 136
    Goal Weight: 125 (or 136 with 9 pounds less fat, LOL)
    Goals for this 8 wks: continue to improve strength and muscle tone

Hi guys! I would love to join this group to share ideas and progress with you all! I lost 76 pounds over the course of about a year. For the last 6 months, I have been battling with the fat that never seems to go anywhere, and working on bettering my muscle definition. I did it all by traditional weight loss methods. Low fats, lean meats, whole grains, and tons of veggies and fruits. I had the "by the book" method down to an art. I was exercising 6-7 days a week. And I was seeing little to no progress, and worse than that, I felt run down, tired, and LIKE CRAP. I couldn't understand why I am in the best shape of my life, and feeling worse than ever. I was eating 1500-2500 calories, and I was starving all the time. I'd work out harder to earn more food, and then just be that much hungrier. On top of that, my cravings were off the charts, and periodically, I would have a complete break down and just binge on carbs for 3 or 4 days.

About two weeks ago, a friend talked me into upping my fat and cutting my carbs somewhat. I cut back to about 100 a day. And in doing that, I dropped about 3 pounds that had crept back on in the last few months (crept back on despite the fact that I was still continuing with my "healthy eating/workout routine.") Then the cravings hit, and I had another 3 day binge. That's when I decided to cut my carbs drastically, as clearly even 100g was way too many. I am not following Atkin's per se, but you could probably call it that since I am essentially following his rules. Today was my third day, and I feel FANTASTIC!!! My energy has skyrocketed, I feel great, and for the first time in probably a year I don't feel like I am hungry! Even if I don't lose another ounce, eating this way makes me feel fabulous, and hopefully the cravings will just stay gone! I must admit, it had always been so engrained in my head that low carb HAD to be bad. But I had no basis for that belief! So, I am anxious to see what happens. :)
  • undrznith
    undrznith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Name: Aimee
    Kids: Two boys, ages 2 and 6 months. Jarom (like jeremy without the y sound at the end, it isn't Jerome...) and Nolan :)
    Pets: Two schipperkes, Skye and Arthur and a cat, Tristan.
    Married/SO: Married four and a half years to my wonderful husband Joel!
    Eating Lifestyle: Paleo. No grains, potatoes, legumes, sugar (that isn't in fruit or veg of course), or dairy.
    Starting weight: This morning I was 145.
    Goal Weight: 145 was my original goal that I felt should be attainable. I have hit that... I've decided to just see where my body goes from here.
    Goals for this 8 wks: To start doing C25K and also go to the gym and do some work on the equipment three times a week. I have a gym membership, it's within walking distance... and I never go! Now that we aren't sick anymore though and my husband should be done going out of town for a bit so hopefully I can get on this stuff :)
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options

My mashed cauliflower has always had a weird consistency too... last time it kind of separated out after it cooled.

I can't wait to get a food processor to try the "rice"!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Both of these i have yet to try but I love munching on raw cauliflower and roasted also ... so will try these.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Hi guys! I would love to join this group to share ideas and progress with you all! I lost 76 pounds over the course of about a year. For the last 6 months, I have been battling with the fat that never seems to go anywhere, and working on bettering my muscle definition. I did it all by traditional weight loss methods. Low fats, lean meats, whole grains, and tons of veggies and fruits. I had the "by the book" method down to an art. I was exercising 6-7 days a week. And I was seeing little to no progress, and worse than that, I felt run down, tired, and LIKE CRAP. I couldn't understand why I am in the best shape of my life, and feeling worse than ever. I was eating 1500-2500 calories, and I was starving all the time. I'd work out harder to earn more food, and then just be that much hungrier. On top of that, my cravings were off the charts, and periodically, I would have a complete break down and just binge on carbs for 3 or 4 days.

About two weeks ago, a friend talked me into upping my fat and cutting my carbs somewhat. I cut back to about 100 a day. And in doing that, I dropped about 3 pounds that had crept back on in the last few months (crept back on despite the fact that I was still continuing with my "healthy eating/workout routine.") Then the cravings hit, and I had another 3 day binge. That's when I decided to cut my carbs drastically, as clearly even 100g was way too many. I am not following Atkin's per se, but you could probably call it that since I am essentially following his rules. Today was my third day, and I feel FANTASTIC!!! My energy has skyrocketed, I feel great, and for the first time in probably a year I don't feel like I am hungry! Even if I don't lose another ounce, eating this way makes me feel fabulous, and hopefully the cravings will just stay gone! I must admit, it had always been so engrained in my head that low carb HAD to be bad. But I had no basis for that belief! So, I am anxious to see what happens. :)

Curious reading this you lost 76lbs wonderful ... curious how?
  • MissKim
    Options
    I want to get some breakfast ideas from the peeps here. Most mornings I have eggs and uncured bacon, sometimes I'll have a side of berries with almond butter or cream... but that's pretty much all I've been doing. So I just wanted to hear what all y'all do for breakfasts, so I can have ideas for more variety.

Thanks!

Most of the time I have eggs. and bacon. I need some better ideas for breakfast too. Something that doesn't take alot of time b/c I'm so rushed in the mornings!! I used to have protein shakes when i would drink milk, but really trying to stay away from the milk, and I can't stand them made with water. I tried coconut milk with the protein, but didn't like that either
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Curious reading this you lost 76lbs wonderful ... curious how?

Essentially by sticking to the basics. Cutting out all sugary foods. Plenty of lean protein, and tons of fruits and veggies. Also cut out refined products and ate whole grains. I cut waaay back on fat, most days around 20 grams total. I worked out 7 days a week most of the time, anywhere from 1-3 hours. A mix of strength training and cardio. And at first, it worked great. The weight came off fairly quickly. And I felt ok... for a while. But then the weight loss dropped off. It took me 5 or 6 months to lose 5 pounds. I was tired and run down and hungry. Just miserable! And working my butt off, it was monopolizing all my free time!

I changed up my style of workouts, and now most days I only do 30-45 minutes. Usually an hour of working out at most. Even still, I was lacking energy and feeling too tired to work out! I still pushed myself through, but it started to just feel like torture.

So, the change to low carb is not a huge stretch for me, since I had cut out most refined foods and snacks and junk anyway. (though without restricting myself from them totally, and the handful of the kids goldfish here and there was taking it's toll I think!) IMO, the reason for my success up to that point probably had to do primarily with eliminating those really bad carbs. Just the absence of fat in my diet was killing my energy! So now I have flipped things around, and am "fat loading." Meaning, I have drastically upped my fat intake to see how it affects me. And for now I am severely limiting carbs for a short period, just to get my body into the practice of fat burning ketosis for energy. I think after things have stabilized a bit, I will up my carbs somewhat so I can eat more veggies and fruits, since I miss them so dearly. They are my true love. But the change in my energy levels has been drastic, so I think the fat was the missing piece to the puzzle. I really just want to eat well, look great, but more importantly, feel fantastic.

I am curious to know what the consensus here is on animal fats and saturated fats. It seems there is such conflicting information. I have been reading up and watching videos of the speaking engagements of Gary Taubes, and the evidence that those fats are not dangerous is quite compelling. But, there's this little voice in my head saying that I have been taught otherwise all my life for a reason...
  • undrznith
    Options
    I want to get some breakfast ideas from the peeps here. Most mornings I have eggs and uncured bacon, sometimes I'll have a side of berries with almond butter or cream... but that's pretty much all I've been doing. So I just wanted to hear what all y'all do for breakfasts, so I can have ideas for more variety.

Thanks!

Most of the time I have eggs. and bacon. I need some better ideas for breakfast too. Something that doesn't take alot of time b/c I'm so rushed in the mornings!! I used to have protein shakes when i would drink milk, but really trying to stay away from the milk, and I can't stand them made with water. I tried coconut milk with the protein, but didn't like that either

Love these! So versatile you can do anything with them, and you can make a bunch in advance and freeze them! http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-03/omelet-muffins/ My two year old also devours them with any veg I put in. Growing up I didn't like breakfast foods so I would often enjoy leftovers, hot or cold. I love cold steak and chicken, just eaten with my hands :) There is also a breakfast pizza you can try, I haven't yet but it looks soooo good! http://everydaypaleo.com/2010/09/07/cooking-demo-breakfast-paleo-pizza/ There are some great breakfast ideas on that page in fact. She has lots of great recipes on everday paleo, love her! I want her cookbook sooooo bad!
  • undrznith
    Options
    I am curious to know what the consensus here is on animal fats and saturated fats. It seems there is such conflicting information. I have been reading up and watching videos of the speaking engagements of Gary Taubes, and the evidence that those fats are not dangerous is quite compelling. But, there's this little voice in my head saying that I have been taught otherwise all my life for a reason...

I am on a paleo forum and several people have posted blood panels and their numbers are very much improved eating lots of fat. Blood pressure and cholesterol go down, diabetes become less of an issue if not a non issue altogether and many of these people are able to get off of their medications for these problems. This is not uncommon in the least. Definitely do some research and you will find that really, they aren't as bad as they've been made out to be. More and more research is showing this, too. Hopefully research will continue to develop in this area and clear up the misconceptions about fat further, but people are so well trained that fat = evil that it will definitely take some time.