Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would continue with a cut and focus on a strength based program. When you get down to a desirable level reverse it into a lean bulk and control calories more closely.

^ agreed
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Hard to predict but if I had to stick a number on it I would guess that you could be done cutting in about 4 more weeks. But that largely depends on adherence and rate of fat loss. I do not think you should try to get into single digits but I do think you have enough LBM to cut further.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Jeez. How skinny does a guy have to get to "start." He looks pretty lean to me. It's no wonder people give up. Everyone has such bonkers advice on when you're supposed to start. The advice always seems to be different for men vs women too. Women get the whole "eat right below your TDEE and lift." Guys get the "cut until you're a skeleton" then eat like a horse.

this
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Jeez. How skinny does a guy have to get to "start." He looks pretty lean to me. It's no wonder people give up. Everyone has such bonkers advice on when you're supposed to start. The advice always seems to be different for men vs women too. Women get the whole "eat right below your TDEE and lift." Guys get the "cut until you're a skeleton" then eat like a horse.
    It all depends on what he wants and what he's comfortable with. No one is saying he can't bulk now. Of course that's an option because he can feel free to do as he pleases. He asked for opinions though. I know plenty of people that would bulk there and people that would say cut.

People give up because these things take hard work. And people are generally lazy. When they realize the transition into lower body fat isn't something most people can just half *kitten*, they quit. "F that, I don't want to be lean, I'd rather be big". Well good for them if that's what they want but let's be real, if getting to a lean well defined state was so simple, we'd all be there.

I think most people are suggesting cutting (slightly--no one said he was fat!) because of the mental toll bulking takes, especially when starting at a higher bf %. You look fluffier faster. I already said that I think he looks good now.
  • SideSteel
    Options

He's somewhere in the mid teens most likely. Not fat by any means whatsoever but the problem with beginning a bulk at this stage is that he's quite likely to become dissatisfied with his physique in 2 months when he starts seeing fat accumulation and approaching the upper teens in body-fat%. Unless of course he manages to stick the surplus perfectly and keep rate of gain nice and slow -- something few people manage to do correctly especially without having done it a few times.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

He's somewhere in the mid teens most likely. Not fat by any means whatsoever but the problem with beginning a bulk at this stage is that he's quite likely to become dissatisfied with his physique in 2 months when he starts seeing fat accumulation and approaching the upper teens in body-fat%. Unless of course he manages to stick the surplus perfectly and keep rate of gain nice and slow -- something few people manage to do correctly especially without having done it a few times.

This. And, I wanted to further point out me mentioning 8-10% is what I personally would do.. not a recommendation for anyone else. I am very in control of my adherence.

Cut until you reach a desirable body fat, and then reverse out. You'll be fine.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Well he stated he has been cutting for 2 months and is discouraged already.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I would continue cut,
    Caloric deficit
    full body workout routine...going as heavy as you can.
  • PwrLftr82
    edited November 2014
    Options

Well, ya either get discouraged getting too skinny or get discouraged getting to fluffy. Choice is up to the OP.

• AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Also, these 'opinions' are not based upon some whim or impulse. I can site substantial research that supports my opinion and the opinion of many respected professionals. But everyone wants to be spoon fed the research and then they don't believe it when they see it. Critical thinking is a skill. Not all 'research' is created equally. Ask Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, Brad Schoenfeld, Jamie Hale, Lou Schuler, and many, many others.

In the end, anything can be done, but it is really a question of doing it best using available information or just doing it the way you want. If your just going to do it the way that you want, stop asking for advice and quite complaining when you fail. There is not some magical secret that is being kept, it is simply a lot of hard work and a lot of time. As stated or implied, if gaining lean muscle, getting lean, and developing a exceptional physique were easy, everyone would do it. Either put in the work and time, or step out of the way.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Well, ya either get discouraged getting too skinny or get discouraged getting to fluffy. Choice is up to the OP.

Basically... welcome to the dance :)
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Totally unrelated, I'm curious why there's a big mirror across from the oven/microwave LOL
  • MityMax96
    edited November 2014
    Options

Basically... welcome to the dance :)

LOL
    Yes, this is exactly the dance we dance in this messed up activity. :D

• MityMax96
    Options
    Totally unrelated, I'm curious why there's a big mirror across from the oven/microwave LOL

Because awesomeness happens in the kitchen. Where you been? :D :P
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

He's already discouraged with the recent 2 month cut. So I'm not sure how much longer he can cut like everyone is suggesting.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

Because awesomeness happens in the kitchen. Where you been? :D :P

Damn, you're right. Note to self, hang mirror in kitchen for selfies LOL

He's already discouraged with the recent 2 month cut. So I'm not sure how much longer he can cut like everyone is suggesting.

I think you missed my point. With a higher bf %, especially in the midsection, I wouldn't be surprised if he got discouraged in 2 months because he was looking "fat."

• PwrLftr82
    Options
    I dunno. There are just so many mixed message. Like what you're saying now. "It's such hard work. People are lazy. Getting a low body fat is so difficult." Talk to the next guy in some inspirational thread. What's he say? "You don't have to starve yourself. All you have to do is lift. Don't do any cardio. TDEE-15 to 20%. It's so easy." Move on to another thread. Fitness chick who's 5' tall 130lbs. "I maintain on 2900 calories. I eat pizza and ice cream every 5 minutes. I eat all the foodz."

I want to be that chick!!!