Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »
    parkscs wrote: »
    I paid in almost 14% of my salary last year. I don't even wanna hear it.

God I'm jealous... only 14%?

Only because I have dependents!

I have dependents too and we are taxed closer to 30% than 14...

It's all about the tax brackets. To be at 14% with dependents, you would be grossing less than 30k a year.

Which is our problem... we make more than that... DAMN professional careers in the STEM fields!

• Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I wasn't including all of the taxes I paid in, just federal, or the bill I owed during tax time because I don't remember those numbers off of the top of my head. But I did have 2 dependents and purchased a house and new vehicle so perhaps that's why?
  • _Stardust_
    _Stardust_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    WHY don't we tax the rich? Because clearly they need all that money to create more jobs! ani-yeah-right.gif
  • InevitableButterfly
    Options
    People in the United States seem to want a lot of benefits and services from their state and federal government, but they also seem mostly unwilling to pay for it. It's a very strange thing.
  • Tbaby1514
    Options

It's all about the tax brackets. To be at 14% with dependents, you would be grossing less than 30k a year.

Okay, I must not remember the numbers correctly then because I made $283k on salary last year.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    companies don't pay fines and taxes...consumers do.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    People in the United States seem to want a lot of benefits and services from their state and federal government, but they also seem mostly unwilling to pay for it. It's a very strange thing.

Usually the people that want all the benefits are not the ones paying for them. Most people I know that do the majority of the paying when it comes to taxes don't need or want government benefits beyond the basic functions government should provide (defense, laws, etc.).
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

Okay, I must not remember the numbers correctly then because I made $283k on salary last year.

b4248ca7c1417ff5eccdb5b7da4de9d1ff56e103970d0e59148455c953aff5e4.jpg
  • collegegirl713
    collegegirl713 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    So, if we tax the rich at "90%", what is the incentive to become wealthy? Why would someone want to work hard to be taxed so much? In my opinion, a percentage of a large number is still bigger than the same percentage of a smaller one. Usually, millionaire work hard for their money and I, for one, think they deserve it. It shouldn't be a penalty!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So, if we tax the rich at "90%", what is the incentive to become wealthy? Why would someone want to work hard to be taxed so much? In my opinion, a percentage of a large number is still bigger than the same percentage of a smaller one. Usually, millionaire work hard for their money and I, for one, think they deserve it. It shouldn't be a penalty!

I dunno. I thought that people with real money have their money do the work for them.

• SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's all about brackets. Like March Madness. But in April.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    He's a troll.
    If you tax the rich, what stops the rich from leaving the town, city, state, country?
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OK - I'll bite - here's a valid argument.

My wife teaches high school (11th grade) Personal Finance. This topic comes up over and over.

So, to illustrate the problem to her classes she suggests that they do an exercise on the next test to model "taxing the rich"...the exercise is pretty simple: the people that get high grades have to give up some of their grade to help the people out that get the low grades...level the playing field, so to speak.

What happens is the traditionally "high grade" students don't study, because, what's the point, they have to give about 1/2 of their grade away anyway. The traditional "low grade" students study even less than before, if that is possible, because they are expecting a hand-out. Apathy rules. The average test score for each class drops to a dismal level.

Same thing will happen in the real world if taxes are raised that high.

• Tbaby1514
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    He's a troll.
    If you tax the rich, what stops the rich from leaving the town, city, state, country?

Can't present a valid argument so you resort to name calling?

This times 10
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Leave politics out of the forums. It's against the rules.

Waiting for the close in….. 3….. 2…. 1
  • collegegirl713
    Options
    OK - I'll bite - here's a valid argument.

My wife teaches high school (11th grade) Personal Finance. This topic comes up over and over.

So, to illustrate the problem to her classes she suggests that they do an exercise on the next test to model "taxing the rich"...the exercise is pretty simple: the people that get high grades have to give up some of their grade to help the people out that get the low grades...level the playing field, so to speak.

What happens is the traditionally "high grade" students don't study, because, what's the point, they have to give about 1/2 of their grade away anyway. The traditional "low grade" students study even less than before, if that is possible, because they are expecting a hand-out. Apathy rules. The average test score for each class drops to a dismal level.

Same thing will happen in the real world if taxes are raised that high.

Great example! I have seen the same thing done with a bar tab.
  • collegegirl713
    Options
    Leave politics out of the forums. It's against the rules.

Waiting for the close in….. 3….. 2…. 1

This is economics not politics

I didn't know there were so many right wing extremists on mfp

So, you call people right wing extremists and then you try to say this isn't politics. Brilliant!
This discussion has been closed.