WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday. Well I am working another 12 hour shift today as co-worker is still ill. Yesterday afternoon I broke out in a rash on my neck and upper chest. Today it is still there and on my hands and lower arms. Not sure what is going on, have not done or ate anything different. It does itch like crazy. Looks sort of like I have the meales. Co-worker called in already for tomorrow so I will work. I am to old for 4-12 hour shifts in a row. Overtime will be nice.
    Went and voted after work last evening and this morning I see the one I voted for mayor got it. I just think we need someone fresh to try and get something done.

Heather--Glad you are enjoying your new kitchenaid. I know the waiting on money game. The man is to come out this afternoon to check and see why our furnace is not working. It is only a year old so hoping this will not cost us.

Sylvia--Those bowls are beautiful.

Robin--Hugs and hope you feel better soon.

Joyce--We still have the paper ballots for voting.

Cynthia--Boy can I relate!! I learned I had to call my dad every couple days and ask certain questions to find out what was going on. Hugs and prayers to you and your mom.

Katla--We are on the do not call list and still get all kinds of calls. I asked one time and was told they are computer dialed. So what is the point of the list. Our cable-tv system has when the phone rings it will come across the tv the number and name calling. So if it is some number we don't know we don't answer. Hope DH is feeling better and did not do more harm.

Cindy--thanks for sharing the picture of Brian, he is a fine looking puppy. Looks alot like my Toby.

Mel--Welcome, come back often and get to know us and us you. This is a great group and so much support as we do this lifestyle change of being healthly.

As the day has gone on the rash is spreading. Not as dark so maybe it will go away. DH is home meeting with the guy on the furnance. I sure hope it is a easy fix. Take care ladies and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just flying by and trying to keep up with you all. Today is better than yesterday. That's all I can really hope for.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.

PNW
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: if someone wanted Spot back badly enough you would probably have known it by now. He has it great with you!
    (Love how the whole board has decided you are keeping Spot! :D )
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh Allison, you sound so down today. I wish I could be there to give you a physical hug
    Cindy, I absolutely love that picture. I really don't like short haired dogs, at least their hair. I love the feel of that fluffy hair. He looks like a joy to have around

catjymartin, welcome and just go kick their butt! You can look at several peoples tickers and see how some of us has defied the odds. I have lost 60 pounds and I am 64. Now granted, I am stuck at that weight.

2muchofmomma, it sounds like you have your basic steps right. 'Get moving', that's a big part of it. Use the diary here to see what you are doing wrong then make a plan of how to correct it. You will get many ideas of how to change your eating. For me, my philosophy is moderation. I still eat a lot of the things I use to eat just in smaller portions. Well, I don't eat red meat much at all. Eventually your stomach and your mind will be trained to not desire some of those things that you shouldn't eat. A lot of us have some kind of pedometer. Good luck, come back often and chat with us.

Not much luck in getting my contracters out to give me estimates on my water problem. The first one just left, I had to call him to ask where he was since he was 45 minutes late. But once her got here I could tell why he was late. He is a talker!!! He has a a plumber he likes to work with at a plumbing company here in town and will have him come over and look at what needs to be done. Charlie would just love to have everything capped off in this awfully designed bathroom we have down there and use it as an extension to our storage room. I would love to be able to use the bathroom. My oldest daughter and family sleeps down there when they come here to visit. They all have to come upstairs to use the bathroom up here. But this would allow them all to have their own bathroom. Also when we have our family gatherings here it would be so nice to have a bathroom to use.

Well that's enough just rambling on about nothing!!1 Joyce, Indiana
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MEG sorry for your loss.
    CATHY I am 66 and would punch anyone out who said I could not lose weight. Bah to them. keep going.

Had my first toast with bacon and egg followed by 1 weetbix and mango. NO room for salad will try tomorrow. OH I LOVE my doctor for allowing bacon for breakfast again after 2 weeks salad and egg, oh my! Keep my food cals between 1600 and 1900 and all will be well. Today is 1833 and fibre at 27 so OK
    She said I certainly could do Jeannette's 6 week challenge again - HOORAH. BUT I was still to walk 1 hour every afternoon as well.
    Today I am doing JJ's Bikini boot camp cardio camp and her belly blast. Walk this afternoon, short doggy walk round our paddocks too. Logged exercise cals at 537.
    Got in 12193 steps yesterday, windy during walk but kept going, may have to walk early morning soon as temps climbing for summer.
    Doctor is going back to Bangladesh to see her mom and I see her after New Year. She is expecting big things from me. Best keep training then.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good Evening Friends,
    welcome.gif Newcomers. Glad to see others are finding us. We missed you.

talk.gif

Meg agree with the voices of doing the best to take care of yourself in this difficult time. Prayers. Hope all goes well for our daughter.

Cindy your Brian puppy is a doll.

smiley-bounce017.gif for all the friends reaching their health goals.
    2014 word:contentment

rose.gifMNMargaret

28257843.png[/url

• bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Meg- so sorry about your dad. My prayers are with you and family.
    - Brenda from Md
    Cathy- I'm 56 and lost 50 lbs since Jan 4th, yes it takes longer but is doable.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies :flowerforyou: :)

Rita Sounds like a really good deal at the gym!

Meg :) So sorry to hear about your dad! My mom died about 8 hours after being in hospice. It`s always hard, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! Hope DD had an easy experience today and now you`re holding a brand new addition to your family <3 !

Vicki :) Hope things get better at work, stress is not good for any of us! That rash sounds awful, could it be stress? I break out in hives when I`m under a lot of stress. Hope it goes away soon!

Sylvia :) I think Spot chose you <3 ! Beautiful bowls!!! Noel`s favorite toys are balls, we have a gazillion on them :noway:!

Heather :) I`m so glad you choose the ice blue KitchenAid! I think that color suits you! As much cooking as you do that thing will get a good workout too! I bought my sis in law one for her birthday a couple years ago, she loves to bake cakes, she calls hers “big daddy” :laugh:.

Robin :) It`s just good to see you here! I hope things will continue to improve and you`ll be good as new soon!

Juanita :) It`s always good to see your post!

Joyce :) I was always absent for the dissecting, I could have never been a Dr. or a nurse :noway:!!! Hope you get your house taken care of soon!

Cynthia :) Oh dear, your mom probably didn`t want to bother you, I tend to not want to call my daughter when something happens with me :blushing:. Now you`ve opened my eyes and I will be more considerate of my daughter! Stop banging your head on the wall, sure way to get a headache :sick:!

Katla :) Hope DH takes it easy, his surgery wasn’t that long ago! I hear you on high maintenance; my youngest granddaughter is a Diva B) !

Terri :) Congrats on the smaller pants…woo hoo!!!! Enjoy the concert and the time with your friend!

Lesley :) Congrats on the weight loss!!!! Sounds like you have a really good Dr.! How is Mildred beagle?

Barbie :) I love that apple pumpkin soup :love:, it`s getting cold enough for me to make a pot of it…yum! I bet the fur babies are hoping something accidentally falls on the floor, they would be happy to clean it up for you! I once dropped my calcium pill on the floor and Noel swooped in and ate it :huh:, she was like a little vacuum cleaner, I had to call the vet and make sure she would be okay. I tried dropping her heartworm pill on the floor to see if she would swoop in on it, didn`t happen :laugh:.

Sue in SD :) Hope your knee is feeling better!

Barb :) I`m not fond of winter either :noway:!

Michele :) Your days all sound hectic, I think you would run circle around me! I saw your pic of Lexi, but I didn`t notice she was bandaged up :sad:, she`s so lucky to have you <3 !

Laura :) Glad your bike is repaired!!! Fantastic steps!

Deb :) Nice to see you again!

Alison :) Sending you a hug!!! You do so much for others, what a wonderful person you are o:)<3 !

Cathy Martin :) Welcome! You can prove those people wrong, just stick with MFP and this wonderful group of supportive women!

Cindy :) Brian is so adorable!!!! He is lucky to have you as his mom :love:! He looks so much like Noel!

Yanniejannie :) We had some clouds today but the temp was close to 70, it was absolutely gorgeous!

Jane Martin :) Hope all goes well at the Dr. appt!!!

Pat :) If I`m on my iPad I only write a short reply, it cut mine off once and I agree…grrrr :mad:!

Mel :) Welcome! Getting out of the house everyday is a great place to start! Log your food and find out where you are and then take some simple easy steps to change things, smaller portions of what you usually eat, or if you have a problem eating just a little of something, don`t have it in you house! I love popcorn, I eat way to much of it, so I don`t keep popcorn in the house, most everything else I can have just a bite of and be done.

Margaret :) Hi! Sharing my coffee :drinker: and water :drinker: with you!

I just took a roast chicken out of the oven, for those that don`t know me, I don`t like to cook :noway:, this is a big deal for me! It smells heavenly, hopefully it will taste as good as it smells! I stuffed it with an orange, a lemon and half of an onion and added sage and fresh rosemary. I will put that on top of a big beautiful salad for my dinner, tomorrow night I will have chicken and rice with green beans! I used the convection oven for the first time, my chicken looks beautiful :love:! My mother would be so proud of me :bigsmile:!

Have a wonderful night ladies!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautifully mild NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    smiley-happy093.gifAuntyfred, you have an amazing step count for someone who also rides a bicycle....tell me about your day and how you fit in all that walking and bike riding.

smiley-sport040.gif abeatocampo, this thread has women at all stages of fitness and many with healthy challenges that interfere with exercise.....I love to be active and my family and friends all know that I don't sit still for long and am always seeking an opportunity to be active. I walk my dogs for about three hours a day (in several sessions during the day), attend line dance classes three days a week, and ride our exercise bike while watching TV....I do some strength training at home.

smiley-sport035.gifDeb, I am a big protein eater and rarely eat grains.

smiley-sport035.gifRita, lucky you, working with a trainer

smiley-happy005.gifCathyMartin, do not listen to people who try to steal your dream....there are women on this thread who have lost a lot of weight at your age or older and kept it off

smiley-chores002.gifCindy, Brian is darling

smiley-sport033.gifMel, my suggestion is that you plan ahead for what you'll wear when you walk and where you'll go so you can easily get up and go. I have an mp3 player so I can listen to music and podcasts when I walk....it makes the time more interesting.

smiley-eatdrink026.gifLesley, I'm glad you are happy with your new food plan.

smiley-sad015.gif]Meg, I am so sorry about your father....sending hugs to you as you deal with his death along with the birth of your grandchild----two hugely stressful events at the same time.

smiley-sad026.gifJake left at noon for his long weekend away---he'll be back midday on Monday. I've been looking forward to having some time to myself but this will be a really long time. I have a long list of things I want to do with all this time.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

November Resolutions
    *walk 18,000 steps a day
    *don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    *strength training twice a week
    *put important dates on the 2015 wall calendar

146200.png
  • pattigorman
    pattigorman Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am new here too, Ming. Same age and almost same amount to lose. This looks like a terrific group, Terrific facilitator too. Done almost everything to lose weight too, but always regain. This time around I'm getting help with Eating Disorder through therapist and nutritionist. So far, so good. been able to keep the 7lbs off. Tough over Halloween. My goals for November: At least 30 min movements daily, Find a fitness class I like at gym, start YOGA again and complete MFP daily. Hoping with the help of you folks and behavior modifications tactics to do better at respecting sweets. Take care everyone and my best to all!!!
  • pattigorman
    pattigorman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Messages I read today: You WILL change and be different.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    1006216ec5bmt81pr.gif DeeDee, I am very impressed to hear about you cooking....a roast chicken is a good choice...not too hard and produces very healthy food...I don't really cook that much and what I cook, I do over and over and don't mind the repetition.

:smiley: pattigorman, I have learned that there are many foods that I am not able to eat in moderation, so I don't eat them at all and don't have them in my house. There are a few foods that I allow myself at a restaurant but never at home. I've learned this through experience and some books I've read that were recommended by women on this thread.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of yoga today and then an hour of the deep water class. Tomorrow's plan is to do Jillian Michael's Shred It With Weights DVD.

Tomorrow we have a lunch to go to with the Newcomers. Even Vince is looking forward to going to this place.

Tonight I think I'm going to do a little bit more of the painting on my ladybug. But the real reason is because I want to go get the flash drive with the Downtown Abbey episodes on it, copy it to my flash drive, then have at least one gal here Sun and watch it.

abetocampo - welcome! You know, in a sense I really thinkI'm addicted to exercise. I try to do something different lots of times, so I'm always open to new suggestions I hear ya feeling "weird" if you don't exercise, I know that I do.

Joyce - happy shopping

CathyMartin - welcome. Those people are wrong, wrong, wrong. The weight CAN be lost. It takes time, but it DOES happen

Cindy - give Brian a big hug from me

Sylvia - yup, the reason you may have missed the pic of Lexi was because of the new format. It was just a small one at the bottom of my post. I don't have any idea how to do it larger. Maybe I'll try posint it separately. But I'll also post it at the bottom of this post.

Mel - welcome. Come here often

Vicki - hope you get to the bottom of that rash real quick

Joyce - it never ceases to amaze me how I no longer really crave things like I used to or how if I have a craving (say for something sweet) I would actually rather have some dried fruit than a candy bar. That's not to say that I never eat candy bars, but I don't find myself really wanting them a whole lot.

DeeDee - yes, if you click on the photo, it enlarges. She also had air leaking out of her trachea when we got her. That's what confirmed to the SPCA that she had been abused, no cat that is an indoor cat would have had that. Anyway, it's just in the last year that she's begun to make a bit of a "meow" sound. Not much, just a bit, tho. Then with the jpolyp in the ear, that was another story in itself. We had to take her to NC Vet to be operated, our vet couldn't get in far enough.

Ken & Lynette are coming over for dinner Saturday so right now I'm making an apple bread. Actually, the recipe calls for strawberries, but I know Vince won't eat them and strawberries aren't in season, so I just substituted apples instead.

Went to a friend's house to get her flash drive with the Downtown Abbey episodes on it, copied them, and I'll give her her flash drive back tomorrow when we go to lunch. You know, in a way I wanted to be ready but I really wasn't looking forward at all to making the bread and a cake and biscuits. But it needs to be done. Well, the biscuits can be made the day before they are baked. Friday I told a neighbor of mine that I'd go with her to the mahjongg lessons. She's said she wanted to learn and I know she'd feel funny being the only non-Newcomer there, so I'll go with her. Tomorrow night is Newcomer bowling.

After picking up the flash drive went and did a LITTLE bit more of the painting on my ceramic ladybug.

Lesley - I know you won't disappoint your doc one bit.

Well, going to get ready for bed.

Michele in NCq9x54nl8m7d5.jpg
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Meg - I'm so sorry about your dad. I hope the experience in gaining a new grandchild is better than you've hoped.

Michelle - Poor kitty!!!!!!!

DeeDee - Roast chicken is a favorite to cook for me because it does so many things. Of course, I cheat and use the crock pot most of the time.

Lesley - So glad your doctor was pleased! I don't know how well I would do at eating salad for breakfast.

I have a great NSV!! I've met my 11,000 step goal for three days in a row. It's been a long haul to rebuild strength in my right leg since wearing the boot. So far I haven't irritated the tendon too much. *crosses fingers* Even though I knew that I was missing it, I didn't realize how much until I noticed how much better I've felt for the past couple of days. I've also managed "clean" eating for the past few days. Of course, it's a lot easier when I have exercise calories to eat (although, not all of them!).

I keep trying to figure out when I can manage a weekend away. I need some time to "be" for a while and I don't get it here.

My daughter's MRI came back clean, which is wonderful, but we still don't know what is causing the problems.

I sure hope no one wants to look at my house tomorrow or Friday because it needs some work that I just don't have the gumption to do right now. I'm a little busier than I would like to be at the moment.

Off to bed now...

Carol in NC

• genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Meg, so sorry about your loss. It is 10 years ago today that my mum died, just 6 weeks after her 90th birthday.

I'd gone to UK in January of that year to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary, then again in April for my dad's 90th birthday, then September for mum's birthday, then sadly back again in November for her funeral.

Another 1.2 lb loss this week although MFP says I have 0 loss on my front page. If I look at the graph it shows the loss, but what the heck, I know I've lost and I've tracked it.
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to mfp and interested in finding some support. I am 51 and need to lose 90 pounds. I have been told by people that because of my age there is not a chance in *&#! I will be able to lose any weight and just learn to live with it. I want to prove them wrong. I need all the help I can get.
    Now that is just plain wrong. I am 58, and I have lost 20 kilograms (45 pounds) over the past year or so, and I'm almost down to my goal weight.

Let's prove 'em wrong.

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    just a quick note - out to hear an author tonight (more about that at a later date) and home to call in an check on Jury Duty --- and of course bad timing but in I have to go tomorrow! :\ have to be there at 8:30am and it is 45 min away on public transport - my business will not run itself.... I believe in doing my duty; but am frustrated that so many just blow it off and so every 2 years in I go....

thinking of you all; logging food and trying to balance life.
    Kim
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi - it's been a tough couple of days. DH's lung cancer looks as if it has spread to his liver. We are hoping that he is going to be strong enough to start chemo soon, to at least stop it from spreading further.

Taking one day at a time, there is so much to take in and think about.

Spending most of my time at the hospital with him and just praying that his appetite improves - I think a nutritionist is due to see him soon, maybe they will be able to get him those high calorie drinks - at the moment all he is eating is ice cream. He did say yesterday though that he would maybe try some cereal this morning for breakfast.

I've taken time off work so I can be with him - although I do have to pop home for a few hours break, usually when he is resting.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts.

Viv xx

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Michele: I missed what happened to the kitty and I see a lot of bandaging. What happened?

Carol: great news about your walking, and a weekend away is a great idea.

Dear Viv: wishing you strength. Please take care of yourself (I didn’t do that well enough when my husband was ill).

Slept badly and have a meeting this afternoon, yuk. Also: no work has been done on the house this week, though they were planning to have the last bits of painting done this week. Don’t know what’s going on. I just want to start putting stuff where it belongs!

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So sorry, Viv. Sending you big hugs. :love: I hope you have lots of support. Are you talking to Macmillan?

Meg - you probably won't see this today, but sending you strength for the time to come. :flowerforyou:

Cathymartin - complete nonsense! And you are a spring chicken compared to many of us on here! You show them and knock them dead! They wiill be sooooo jealous! :tongue: I was 62 when I started this and I am now 65 and feel and look better than ever! (Minus the wrinkles) :laugh:

Genelace - congratulations on the more than pound lost! Good job!

Today I stood on the scsles and I am back to my target weight! ! ! ! ! :drinker: :bigsmile:
    I will keep going as I am doing as I have a lot of celebrations coming up so would like a bit of leeway. It does feel VERY good though and my ticker is now accurate sgain. :laugh:

Going to make yoghourt and sourdough bread todsy. Kim - I will have to buy a new starter as my yoghourt has a definite pink tinge! ! ! I will use it up for the tandoori fish tonight. :tongue:
    Margaret - There is a specialised sauerkraut maker, two sizes, on Amazon. Can't decide whether to ask for it for Christmas. It has a water channel as a seal and weights to keep the veggies under water.

Going to take the wallpaper book back today as we can't decide, so will do without and just have the room painted. I have to ring some Venetian blind people with measurements to get an estimate. Hate the dark brown one that we inherited. I am not a curtain person. We don't have any window coverings downstairs! :ohwell:

Love to all, Heather in very cold Hampshire UK
    27681614.png