WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Viv~ thinking of you and the DH, please take care of yourself so you will be able to take care of DH.
    Michelle~ what happened to kitty?
    yesterday a better day for DFIL, he had a good breakfast and seemed in much better spirits, which makes me happy.work went well and i picked up an elderly neighbor and took her to the dentist and home then went back...
    I still havent talked to the DH about my hospice volunteerism,Im sure he will put up a fuss,and I am going for my flu shot today and will ask about how much it will cost for the bloodwork i need for the volunteering. as the insurance wont cover it. that is what the DH will have a cow over..
    from what the DH says we are skating by,not alot of money as I brought up Christmas so, will leave that alone for a bit...so will quietly start planning.. all I really get is stuff for the grandkids, we dont do much for anyone else, my kids are older and dont have money to get us stuff, and for my dad i usually bake stuff for him...
    my DFIL is pretty much set, so will get him a box of candy, and then the large boxes for first and second shift CNA and nurses
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Viv Prayers. :flowerforyou:

Deedee :drinker:

Working at taking off my fall five. Today I will watch my portions and drink more water.

Off to work today.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hello, everyone,

Quick stop, need to get some yard work done before the rain hits. Mtg. last night for one of the horse support groups was a bit "off" due to the appearance of a former member who apparently caused major trouble last time she belonged........don't know this person myself but several others I trust had nothing good to say and were very upset by her presence.

DD lifeguarding then on to the show barn job........long day for her. Thought I might have found a good possible guy match for her.........just kinda looking around at possibilities in the men dept.........then I found out he's (my supposed "dream guy") 20 yrs. older.........oops! Still, I did see them having a long conversation the other day. Guess I'll stay out of it.......not too good at this matchmaking business! Still, not quite as bad as friend who tried to set her son up with a gay woman!!!

Barbie.....Enjoy your alone time!

Dee Dee.........You chicken sounds delish..........had my mouth watering!

Michele.........Ahhhhh......the famous Lexi!!! What an adorable kitty! She sure had good karma to end up with you and Vince. Thanks for posting (or reposting) that; I missed it the first time too.

Carol........Happy, happy, happy that the MRI was normal!!! Maybe it is that virus like my friend had that only involved being dizzy (awful as that was) but eventually went away.

Viv.......So sorry that liver is involved.......((((((HUGS))))))).......hoping his appetite improves with the nutrition help.

Pants getting tight, need to get more serious again. Steel cut oats with cinnamon for breakfast followed by a delicious pear; now if I can just stay the course!!!

Stay strong!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Viv (and all others in need) - Prayers ! ! !

Today I realized that I do NOT need to eat all the leftovers in the house. Yesterday I stayed under calories, but went over on carbs, and just don't feel healthy today. So, complex carbs for only 1 meal per day, and to heck with the leftovers; they can go down the disposal if not eaten, and I will NOT feel any guilt for it. I will increase my fruits and veggies again, starting today. In fact, since the grocery store had canned pumpkin for $0.79, I put some in my oatmeal this morning - YUM ! ! !

Also, had too much to do during lunch break, so I was unable to get in any time on the bike, so I will get back at that today, too.

Congrats to everyone with successes.

Terri in (cold and starting to snow) Milwaukee
  • 2MuchOfMomma
    2MuchOfMomma Posts: 3
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Vicki, Joyce, Margaret, DeeDee, Barbie, and Michele, ty for the "welcomes" and tips. I decided to sign in on here early today, so that I could get a good dose of support before my day went any farther. After reading over the comments on here, I do believe this is a great group of women to gain and give support. Thanks for making me feel welcome! :D

Mel
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    5rqau5vf4tyn.jpg

This was a good reminder for me this morning!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Carol - your lovely new photo prompted me to look at your other photos. Is that really you in the white T shirt? If so, you have come a LONG way! :flowerforyou:
    - Heather UK
  • nccarolb
    Options
    Heather - That is indeed me! Thank you!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Newbies: Welcome to those who are new to our group. Stop by as often as needed for support. :flowerforyou:

CathyMartin: Welcome to the right place for support. At 51, you’re a youngster. You can lose weight as well as anybody else. I did and I started at a much older age than you are now. It just takes time and persistence. You have to want to improve your health enough to change your habits. Come for support often. Log your food, count your calories, and move more. Drink plenty of water. You’ll do fine. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m sorry your had poor election results in Kansas. I’m concerned about the state of our Congress. Here in Oregon, we had an interesting election. I’m mostly pleased with our outcomes. :flowerforyou:

Jane: Congratulations on the good Echo results. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Enjoy Guy Fawkes night. I’m glad you’re having such fun with your new Kitchen Aid. CONGRATULATIONS on being back to your goal weight. :flowerforyou:

DeeDee: Your chicken dinner sounds absolutely perfect. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I love your kitty picture! I hope the leg will be okay. :flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: Congratulations on the wonderful NSV! I love the new photo. You look great! :flowerforyou:

Viv: You and your husband are in my prayers. :heart: :flowerforyou:

DD and the kids are flying home this afternoon. I’ve enjoyed their visit but am officially tired. We went to the beach yesterday while /DH stayed home. I learned when I got back that he took a fall down the stairs. I will insist he call the doctor’s office today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Michele, POOR KITTY! My goodness, what that cat has been through! How is it doing now? Is Lexi a boy or a girl?

For those of you just starting, my advice would be to document everything now. You will wish you did later on if you don't. When I started losing I didn't take any photos and did not do any measurements. I knew that the scale had hit 302 a few months before I started, and had probably gone even higher, but I really don't know for sure. Now, I wish I had known it all so I could really see my progress.

Set yourself up a system. Do whatever works for you and stick to it. I weigh every morning. If I don't then I put my weight out of my mind for the whole day and I'm more likely to overeat. Get as much exercise as you can physically handle. Weight training is also important.

And, if you have a support system, tell them the nitty gritty. How much you weigh now and how much you want to lose. I had never told my hubby how much I weighed, fearing that he would think less of me or be critical, but once I told him he was nothing but supportive. (It's not like he couldn't tell I was fat!) That was the day I started losing. It's true that the truth shall set you free.

Also, make yourself a list of all the things you do not like about your weight. Everything that bothers you, physical problems, emotional problems, etc. For me it's a long list, but includes things like not being able to roll over in bed, getting stuck in the bathtub, having people stare at me in public, or worse- averting their eyes, falling down and needing three big burly cops to help me up, not fitting in airplane seats, etc. Now I can look back at that list and see tangible improvements in my lifestyle. I already have check marks next to almost every thing on the list. It really helps keep me motivated to go on and to hopefully NEVER slip back.

And, there will be some down sides to losing weight. If you have a lot to lose, there will probably be loose skin. I have not found a way to get rid of it yet. Surgery is always an option, but I'm not sure if I can go that far. With my clothes on it's pretty much invisible.

And the biggest thing is to continue with MFP. Both logging everything and coming here and checking in as often as possible. This group is a fantastic source of support. It has really helped me a LOT.

Spot is here at the studio with me this morning. He has a doctor appointment at 1:30 to get his shots and checkup.

Well, I hope you all have a great day.

Sylvia
    45477098.png

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here is today's joke of the day:

:)
    Jeb and Jethro live in the hills, about 5 miles outside of town. Jeb asks Jethro to go in to town to pick up some lumber. Jethro walks the 5 miles to town to the local

lumberyard.

"Jeb says we're gonna need some 4 x 2's" Jethro tells the yardman.

"Do you mean 2 x 4's?" asks the yardman.

"Well, I don't rightly know, I better go ask Jeb" says Jethro and walks the 10 miles to the hills and back to town.

"Jeb says we're gonna need 2 x 4's" Jethro tells the yardman.

"Now, how many 2 x 4's will you need?" asks the yardman.

"Well, I don't rightly know, I better go ask Jeb." says Jethro, and again walks the 10 miles to the hills and back to town.

"Jeb says were gonna need about 40 of 'em" Jethro tells the yardman.

"Now, how long will you need them?" asks the yardman.

"Well, I don't rightly know, I better go ask Jeb" says Jethro and yet again walks the 10 miles to the hills and back to town.

Upon returning Jethro says to the yardman, "Jeb says you better give 'em to us for a while . . . we're gonna build a barn."

:o
  • nccarolb
    edited November 2014
    Options
    collage.jpg

CathyMartin - I will be 55 in a few weeks. It can be done!

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great thurs.Still coughing,dr in am
    hugs
    jane
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Nana Meg checking in. Baby Nikita was born yesterday at 5:55 pm at 6 pounds 11 ounces and 18 inches. Everyone is doing fine including me LOL. She was a screamer let me tell you. She fussed and carried on like crazy, but when given to DD, she latched right on and nursed for 45 minutes straight.

Visitation for dad is tonight. We cleaned out his room at the nursing home. That place is so wonderful and the staff is so kind. The night he died, a recliner for me just appeared and after he died the staff just streamed in and they were all sobbing! Nice to know he was well thought of. I'll miss seeing them too; they are like family to me.

OK got to get some rest before the viewing. Take care all, Meg from Omaha where the sun is shining today.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Carol! Amazing transformation! And so glad daughter's MRI was clean!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Meg ... congratulations on your new granddaughter! Prayers are with you as you grieve for your dad ...
  • MsMayberry13
    MsMayberry13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am Dee from NC and coming back to MFP. I will be 53 in one week and I have got to get this weight off!! I lost my job and started menopause three years ago and it has been up, up and away on the scales ever since! Please friend me.
    Thanks!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Meg - big, soppy hugs! :love:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Meg, congratulations ,Nana Meg love it!!I have a feeling when the time comes for my DFIL it will be the same thing.. they are such a wonderful group of people down there, so glad they made it a nice transition for you.. I still remember my Mother's wake, I remember all the people who came ,and how wonderful seeing everyone was.. remember the good times and great memories..
    NCCarol~ look at you!! congrats girlfriend.. me it is cold and dreary and rainy here and I ate pretty well, tacos tonight...
    got my flu shot and my arm is sore but all set.. making calls as our insurance has a high deductable and I need to get bloodwork done to volunteer for hospice which will probably not be covered by insurance.. which will send the DH over .. so trying to get my ducks in a row before telling him what I am going to do..
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Congradulations Nana Meg, she will steal your heart they all do!
    Viv prayers for you and your husband
    best wishes to all
    juanita