WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Just got in.Couldn`t make an apt cos of accident on highway.did get results.Labs ok,echo normal,but she wants to have me check with cardio re.something on the echo.
    The cough can last 4 more weeks.If I feel worse come in,if not come in dec to see her.
    Thanks for all the prayers,love and support
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,

Just popping in to say hello and wish everyone a wonderful weekend.

Cindy in OK
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! It was a beautiful day here in Louisiana...sunny and dry! I'm so glad it's Friday! Yay! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Looks like we have a few members who are struggling in one way or another...please know that I will be praying for you! So nice to be in this group.

Welcome newcomers. I haven't been here very long, but I look forward to everyone's posts.

Barb in Louisiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    PS.. how do you get the animated smileys in the post?

Rita, I get the funny smileys from this site

http://www.freesmileys.org/

you find the smiley you want and copy and paste the Forum code into your post

smiley-computer004.gif

it shows up as a long string of codes starting with url+http and when you post your reply, the smiley is in your post
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    On jury duty… I don’t mind doing it, but was so glad I got released from this one it was scheduled to go until 12/23 !!!! 4 days a week 9-4:30 the courthouse is about 1 hour each way in traffic from my house…and that would have been a huge hit to my business, I would have had to try to work nights – So glad the judge was understanding! If it had been a week or less I would have been able to make it work.

:smiley: Kim, isn't it a great feeling to be willing to do a difficult job and then not have to do it. :smiley: How great that the judge was understanding about the impact jury duty would have had on your business.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Terri, your son must be pretty talented and athletic. what kind of bowling average does he have?

Pat, I am also a 'TV and newspaper' star. When I was pregnant with my second child I came home from church one Sunday, opened the door and saw and smelled a mess. there was 11 inches over the entire 1100 square feet of the lower level of our bi-level. This was raw sewage, meaning there was a lot of toilet paper that wasn't mine. And all the stuff that goes along with toilet paper. We had a program on one of our TV stations called 'Why?' It was investigative reporting. well I guess I shouldn't say investigative since they didn't do any investigating, just let a resident with a problem be interviewed. As far as the newspaper goes, many years ago with one of my many diets, one of our papers was doing a year long story on dieting. The reporter knew one of the dieticians at the hospital I worked at. She happened to be the dietician assigned to the unit I was working on. Our unit had a weight loss competion at that time and she knew I was so far ahead of the others they didn't even have a chance to win. So she asked me if I would be willing to talk to this reporter. So they interviewed me every 3 months and had a make over at the end of the year for me. I didn't get to keep the clothes they used for the pictures though. I kept all the articles and all the pictures they took. But it was nice to have patients recognize me, not only the ones who were in the hospital when the article came out but I had a few that recognized me that hadn't seen the article for awhile. Sorry to say my weight I am right now is even higher than the weight I ended up. Just another one of my failures. I sure hope with the help of you guys I can now keep this weight off. With several of the family members in the family getting medical problems in their old age it is easier to stay on a diet around them.

The guy who was supposed to come out today, after cancelling out yesterday, called and cancelled today. I am beginning to get a bit suspicious. Anyway we have now determined we don't need anyone right now until we get a plumber and then we don't really need them unless we decide to do some remodeling in the two rooms affected. But this guy has a licensed plumber that works for him so he has said he will come out tomorrow. So I am giving him another chance for an estimate but will have to seriously consider this when it comes time to do any plumbing.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/2 hr of Gilad's 45/45 split DVD. Tomorrow the plan is to do Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD

Got up, exercised, had breakfast, went to PetSmart to get more Pill Pockets for Loki, then went to Aldi, came home and made biscuits for tomorrow so all I have to do is bake them (tried a new recipe, we shall see how it turns out). Started making the candy corn cake but then had to stop to take my neighbor to the mahjongg lessons. Came home and made this candy corn cake which wound up in the garbage so I made these apple chippers for Ken and then I realized that Vince won't eat them because they had raisins in them so I found this Jiffy chocolate muffin mix which I made for him. Honestly, I really didn't feel like making them but I did.

Teddy - welcome. You CAN do it, I know you can!

Viv - sending good thoughts for your hubby

Alison - maybe if we (the US) would move Thanksgiving to early October like our Canadian friends do, then it wound't get lost amongst the Christmas hullabaloo

Sylvia - I guess we've had Lexi for about 6 years now (boy, does time fly, I remember we got her right after we bought the house but didn't have any furniture. I think that was a blessing in disguise because there was no way should would have been able to jump up on a bed but we just had a mattress on the floor so that she could get on)

Rita - good for you signing on with a personal trainer! When you said your hubby got a double does of the flu vaccine, did you mean one that combats 4 strains of flu? I know that there's one that hits three strains.

Carol - wonderful bargains! How I miss Harris Teeter. They used to have some really good bargains

Diana - welcome

Hether - hope that UTI is gone real soon. Fantastic you found that wallpaper. Sometimes it just happens that way, it falls into your lap when you least expect it. And then to book the venue! Wow! So happy to hear about your son

Jan - yea for you going on the TV

terri - have fun at the concert and enjoy your time with your friend

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just to clarify for any one out there who knows anything about fencing

DS#1 is doing Mediaeval German Longswords.

Yikes ! ! ! ! ! !

He needs the birthday and Christmas money to buy good protection.

:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

Heather x x

PS - Yanniejannie! Yeah! (*) (*) (*)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Of course it worked this once,so hopefully my problems are over....Shhh,afraid to say it out loud.........
    Have been in touch with MFP,.....will see how it goes
    Pat
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Up early today. Hubs is hunting all day so just the pup and I. Banana, Berries, Protein powder smoothie for breakfast. (Usually eggs and oatmeal but I'm out of eggs). Plan today is to take an hour walk after the sun comes up. Tonight is a "Favorite Things" party for our church ladies. Everyone is bringing their favorite dessert. YIKES! My plan is to eat before I go and have a "dessert coffee" with sugar free vanilla syrup flavoring. I'm only 11 days into this so don't trust myself to take a bite and leave the rest. Hopefully I'll be there eventually!

Diana in Indiana
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sorry to be such a pest! My posts were being cut down to one sentence,so went to MFP & he recomended deleting the MFP app,then reinstalling. Seems to be working now.....
    If this is yesterdays news,please excuse it.
    After being told it would be 2 yrs till next appt with cardiologist,had some pains Thursday.1st time in well over a year.EKG looked ok,then on to heart Dr. I'm to call him or 911 in case of more pain. Now every little ouch is scary.

Have read posts,but wasn't able to respond.Now I don't remember. :| Will try to catch up. Pat
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Joyce-your profile picture is cut off cant see your pretty face....
    just a quick stop in because it is a busy day... ta ta for now
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good afternoon folks! :flowerforyou:

Antibiotics seem to be winning, but still got lower stomach pain. Can't believe I let it go for 2 weeks. When it was just back pain I thought it was muscle strain. :ohwell:
    Feeling a bit sorry for myself so I'm having a day off exercise. First time in a few weeks. I will just watch my intake very carefully and eat up to TDEE instead of a losing number. I managed 50 cals of walking to the village hall and back this morning. :laugh:
    Took my granary rolls to the charity fair and made a few purchases to support different charities. Bought some WI made kipper pate which we have just shared for lunch with toasted sour dough bread and crudités. Yum!
    Saturday is mainly newspaper reading day as we only buy the Saturday Guardian. It has lots of sections and I rely on their TV guide for reviews and knowing what films to order from Lovefilm.
    Guinea fowl tonight, roasted, with swede, carrot and potato mash and Brussels sprouts. Left overs tomorrow, probably with butternut squash.

When I used to go to the charity fairs I always bought the cakes, but this time I am so keen to use my KitchenAid again I didn't bother. I can feel a Lemon Drizzle cake coming on. It is DH who eats all the cakes and I am one if those fortunate people who is satisfied with a tiny taste. I can sympathise with those of you who can't do that as I am very partial to something alcoholic and find one glass is rarely enough. Luckily for me, my UTI means I am not drinking this weekend. Making up for the last one! :tongue:

Love to all. I will be looking after myself today by taking a short nap this afternoon. :bigsmile:

Heather in very windy and gloomy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • hoff2002
    Options
    CityJaneLondon-How I WISH I had your ability to just eat a bite. OMG---I would be eating the entire cake and then drinking the wine! LOL! Sorry about the UTI. Hope you feel better soon.

Pat - Hope the chest pain gets better. Have you been worked up for GI? Sometimes a spastic esophagus can cause chest pain that mimics cardiac pain. Just a thought. Just don't ignore the chest pain because the EKG was negative. (Sorry...the nurse in me never stops! LOL!)

Joyce-Indiana - I've been seeing your posts about needing repairmen. What happened? I think I probably joined after you posted. Just curious. I really hate it when people say they're going to show up for an estimate and then never show or are extremely late! UGH! Good luck with the project.

Diana-Indiana - Good luck at the church function tonight. You can do it!

Praying for everyone who is struggling with issues at home. I hope that God will bless each of you and carry through these hard times.

This week was a struggle for me regarding to diet/exercise. I weighed myself several times this week (but didn't post...too depressing) because I gained weight after overeating and eating foods high in sodium. I know it's just water, but you would think that drinking over a dozen glasses of water day after day would flush that sodium out. Ugh! Anyway, I'm following the advice of a friend/co-worker at work. I'm weighing myself at the end of the week instead of the beginning of the week. Yay! Down 2.4 lbs today. I'm hoping I do better this week than last.

Have a great day everyone!

• hoff2002
    Options
    Thanks to my wonderful hubby and YouTube. He found a very good tutorial on how to decrease the pixel size of photos. I've been trying to add a profile pic for weeks and I always got the message that the file was too big. This tutorial used "Fastone Photo Resizer". So now you all get to see my sparse gray hair and fat face! LOL! Just posting in case anyone else is having issues with uploading pics!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    TeddyChariton: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

Viv: I’m sending good thoughts your way. I hope that you don’t get more bad news, and wish you the strength to deal with whatever the news turns out to be. :heart: You and your DH are in my prayers. :flowerforyou:

Marilyn: Boy do you have a tough job! You can succeed at staying out of the goodies. I’m happy to hear that you have support. :flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: Congrats on the negative diagnosis regarding RA. I don’t care for free weights, myself, and think that the bands are a good idea. My son tore up his neck & shoulders with aggressive lifting & wound up needing surgery. :flowerforyou:

Rita from CT: It sounds like things are going much better for you. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Pat: 600 days! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I wonder about your deleted post information. I haven’t had that experience but I compose nearly all of my posts in a word document and then paste them into MFP. :flowerforyou:

Diana in IN: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Joyce, IN: It sounds like you’ve had very good news about mold! What a relief! :flowerforyou:

Heather in UK: Yikes! I’m sorry you’ve been having health problems but happy that it is diagnosed and treatable. I hope you’re feeling good soon. I’m happy that your DS is doing well and that you’ll get to see him during the Christmas season. Mediaeval German longswords! I am impressed that he can lift them, and also use them. I appreciate your sympathy about the DGC going home, but I am thrilled to have them safely there! I am exhausted. I wish they lived close enough to see regularly without having them move in with us for 10 days. I am counting my blessings that we got to see them. :flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: You’re a celebrity! You’ve been on TV. It sounds like a positive experience. Congratulations.:flowerforyou:

Jane: It sounds like the doctor has given you good information. I hope you feel better soon. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

Lyby: It doesn’t sound like you’re having a good experience with your diet. How did you arrive at 1200 calories per day? I didn’t get down to that calorie level until I’d already lost quite a bit of weight. If you use the MFP system, you will start at a goal that will allow for a moderate deficit for your current weight and as you lose weight, they’ll lower your allowable calories. It is not fast, but it is a very humane and reliable system. Age isn’t an insurmountable obstacle to weight loss. I started this journey when I was past age 62. I want to encourage you to take a look at your goals and adjust them to less severe settings or let MFP set goals for you. :flowerforyou:

Joyce & Rita: I got the senior dose of flu vaccine in my shoulder and had only slight discomfort. DH took the non senior dose because he was concerned that it would be too severe for him. We both had a little soreness for a short time. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I am in awe of your ability to cook all of the wonderful treats you make without eating too much. If I have it in the house, I eat it unless it is in the freezer. :flowerforyou:

I am often tired & have been having attention issues for a while so I have decided to be proactive about it. I have added two new goals for November. We’ll see how I do at meeting the goals, and whether it makes a difference. If I need to see the doctor about it, I'll have data to help understand what is going on.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DeeDee bday.gif
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    DS did okay at bowling today. He finished with a 511, just 170 average. Last year his average was 167. He is struggling right now, because he is in so many sports, that he really only goes to the bowling alley 1-2 times per week (most kids his age are there 3-6 times per week). That will pick up if he does not make the basketball team.

Today I dropped him off at a park, to play basketball with his friends. I love the fact that they are acting like when I was that age, instead of playing video games all day.

The concert was wonderful. We parked about 1/2 mile away and walked, so I got a little exercise. There was 1 song when he forgot the words, so he just laughed and hummed until the chorus. He narrated a little, and told a few jokes. And he encouraged us to sing along a few times. We had a great time. And my friend and I pretty much picked up where we left off 3 decades ago, except the first 15 minutes of short-handing how our lives took us back to where we are now. That was comforting, too.

The rest of the day I need to really watch my food, and stick with fruits and vegetables, because DS took Burger King chicken nuggets to share at the park, so I bought an extra + a frappuccino for myself. And DH is bringing home Culver's after his 12 hour shift today, so salad for supper for me.

Prayers to everyone in need. Congrats to everyone with accomplishments.

Terri in Milwaukee
    15738887.png

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hoff2002, I need some help because we had some water leakage in our family room for some unknown reason. We have no reason when it started. By the time it was found all the walls of the laundry room was wet. The 4th wall is the outside cinder block wall. So it smells awful . We thought we had mold but it seems as if all we have is bad smell because we kept the doors closed, well because it stunk so bad. So now we are trying to keep it open. I think our marriage works because we have a family room and a living room. He has his space, I have mine. But the older he gets the colder he gets. So he can not stand to have the windows are open. So we keep a fan going in the room most of the time.

Well, Mr Delienquet contracter who was supposed to call me at noon today, called me at 1:30 and cancelled. But he was acting like Mr. Wonderful and gave me the name of a wonderful plumber. Can you tell I am a bit frustrated.

Heather, I hope you are feeling better.

Joyce, Indiana
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! It's been a pretty good one so far. Swimming went ok, in spite of having to wear my least favorite suit. My regular one seems to have become very sheer in places. :o Now I'm forced to wear that darned Speedo until I can find another one I like. It's like trying to get in an out of an old fashioned girdle, except it's worse when it's wet. But the good news is that once I got it on hubby said I looked very "trim". So, I guess it was worth it.

Hubby came up to the studio and got my heater working. The battery in the thermostat had corroded so it wasn't making good contact. He filed it off and now it works! My hero. I started a kiln load before I left.

Came home and started a load of dishes. Then played ball in the yard with Spot while hubby was playing frisbee with the other two. Now we are getting ready to go to the lake. This will be Spot's first time out there. Maybe I can take him walking with me in the morning. He walks better than the other two. They are bearable for short walks, but not for long ones. They pull too hard.

Well, hubby is ready to go. Have a great weekend!

Sylvia