WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Meg, I have been going for physical therapy since December, first for my knees, and then for my low back/core. From doing all the standing-up exercises, I now have tendinitis in the two tendons on either side of the ankle. One of those tendons holds up the entire arch. So, I have to take it easy for a month and only do non-standing exercises and then go back to the doctor to see what she says. Today is really bad, and I don't know why. I can barely get from room to room. The ankle keeps buckling. I will see the PT tomorrow.
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    It is a humid and stormy day here, I have been out with the dog for a quick 40 min walk before going to work. I did some gardenining yesterday, so the beds are empty and I am contemplating what to replant. I am thinking about some low maintenance drought resistant plants. It was sunny and about 33 degrees Celsius yesterday (90 degrees for those in usa ) now thunderstorms and rain.

Planned my meals for the week to minimise any slip ups

Hope you all have a great day - trish
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Monday morning here, was restless last night as Stan watching Rugby from England.
    Did my weight, tape and BF%. I have LOST 2.25 ins overall, a bit off everywhere and 0.08% BF. My scale has been going up, I am UP 1.76 lbs from last Monday but 1.44 lbs is lean body weight.
    I have walked an hour every day and got my FitBit steps up. Today I am doing Wii Gold's boxing instead of the run on week 2 of JJ's 6 week program. Doc said NO to running until I lose some weight but I can box.
    Will see what next Monday brings.
    I am washing bed sheets and doona covers and clothes as it is sunny today.
    Food cals at 1634
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :smile: About walking in the dark.....I'm am fortunate to live in a very quiet neighborhood with private roads, smooth streets, and a light in front of everyone's house. I have a good flashlight and have worked my way slowly into walking in the dark so the time of year isn't a problem for me. I usually walk with a dog but sometimes without.

:smiley: About walking in the winter....I am fortunate to live somewhere with fairly mild winters....I have occasionally had to limit my walking to the big grassy (snowy ) area behind my house because the streets were too icy. I have an exercise bike to help me be active indoors.

:smiley: About self-control...I read a book called "Willpower" by Roy Baumeister. He writes a lot about how using a lot of self-control in one part of your life, makes it harder to have control in others. One solution offered there and in the book "The Thin Commandments Diet" is to have plans and strategies in place so that willpower and self control aren't needed as much in certain areas of your life. I make a plan for my eating at the beginning of each day and then I don't spend any time thinking about food or making any decisions about whether I should eat something else.

:smiley: Maryann, that's great that you are going to physical therapy so you can learn good ways to use the hand weights and the safest exercises for yourself.

:smiley: Meg, Jake has been out of town since midday Wednesday and will be back tomorrow. I miss him but that is offset by how much I've enjoyed the things I've been able to do with the house to myself. He isn't gone often so this has been a big treat...I'm glad to hear that Nikita is doing better.

:smiley: What I want to do now is ride the exercise bike and watch a movie I recorded, but what I will do instead is put on a warm jacket and hat and go for a walk so I can reach my step goal for the day.

Barbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

2333672elrbd0zge7.gif

My word for 2014 is “mindful”
    November Resolutions (with week one updates)
    *walk 18,000 steps a day (great, so far)
    *don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good (a challenge, but good so far)
    *strength training twice a week (almost)
    *put important dates on the 2015 wall calendar (finished and hanging on the wall for reference)

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 1433479le3q4a7az6.gif 2333672elrbd0zge7.gif

146200.png
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone!

This was a crazy day. We left the lake about noon and drove home, then went into town to watch DGD#1 singing at the historic hotel downtown. Her choir was singing as part of a WW2 veterans celebration. It was very sweet.

Then I went to Walmart to buy stuff to cook for dinner. I was standing in line behind a woman with THREE baskets full of stuff! It came to over $400 and her debit card was declined! So, she had the clerk take off four or five items, and tried again. Still declined. She took off a few more and tried again. After about six tries she finally pulled out a different card and it went through. Good grief! It took me about 45 minutes to get through the line.

Then picked up the kids and brought them to our house. I thought they would play outside, but no. DGD#1 wanted to help me cook. DGD#2 sat in the recliner playing on her tablet the whole time, and the little guy did not feel good. He sat on the sofa and said he was waiting for grandpa to get home. Then he laid there with grandpa watching tv. He didn't eat much supper and turned down ice cream! We just got back from taking them home. DGD and I made popovers for dinner. That was fun.

Meg, Spot is a sweet little dog that I found in a parking lot on Oct 30th. I've been searching for his owner, but no luck so far. I've tried really hard, but unless somebody contacts me, we are keeping him. Hubby was reluctant at first, but now he even understands how special this dog is. He's extremely well behaved, housebroken, doesn't pull on the leash, great with the kids, knows sit and stay, chases tennis balls, and he even loves to play with Bruno! None of the other dogs in the neighborhood can even stand Bruno. They are best buddies. He had fleas real bad, (the vet thinks somebody dumped him because of the fleas) so we've treated him for that, and got him his shots and heart worm meds. And best of all, he loves us. He seems to know that he has a home here. He's already learned his new name and how to use the doggie door.

I'm pooped, so plan on going to bed early. I hope you all have a nice evening.

Sylvia
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Barbie, I love PT. They show me how to use the machines and weights, help me decide when to move to harder weights and resistance bands, let me stay as long as I want to do extra exercises, and they stretch me out when my muscles get tight. They are like personal trainers, who cheer me on and help me progress. Now if only my foot would heal!

This week I see my physiatrist (pronounced fizz-i-a-trist; a doctor who specializes in recovery from injury) to get trigger point injections/dry needling to loosen up my muscles and relieve pain.

Maryann
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :D I went out for a walk in the drizzle and dark and got to the step count that is my daily goal....then I got back on the exercise bike and watched more figure skating. :)

:# about contractors----a few years ago I read a mystery book in which a contractor was the victim of foul play and when the investigators tried to get a list of people who might have wanted to harm him, they found out that everyone who had ever hired him should be on the list.....we've had our share of contractors who postpone, come late, don't come at all, and suggest additional things to do that ended up costing us a lot more money. :'(

:D Maryann, you are fortunate to have that help at P.T.....this will be the beginning of a great journey to weight loss and fitness for you.

:D The pets are in bed waiting for meemoticon-animal-028.gif

<3 Barbie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of Leslie Sansone's Burn Body Fat DVD. Tomorrow's plan is to do one segment of the "10 Minute Tummy Toner" DVD, hold my plank, and then take the extremepump class.

Joyce - I had a man on my bowling league who had Parkinson's and Altzheimers. He was the sweetest man! Yes, he went slow. But that's OK. So Charlie's doc might very well want him to go bowling on a senior league

Barb - I crochet, one thing I don't do is knit. I also do x-stitch and plastic canvas (but I'm getting tired of that). I started a new blanket and I realized my mistake. Oh well....someone else will get the blanket.

Cindy - ((((HUGS))))

Meg - your love and caring show no bounds

Exercised, had breakfast, then went to church, came home and did a little bit of cleaning, then a friend came over and we watched the first 4 episodes of Season 5 of Downtown Abbey while I worked on the new blanket. I just feel so bad that it's going to take me this long to get it to her (it's already been over a year since we were there). Now going to have dinner. The gal who came over to watch DA brought this cranberry drink which I'll probably just donate, but I told her thanks so much. She also brought over these popcorn puffs, I only had two. Had grapes mostly. We had some of the pumpkin black bean chili and I'll have the rest for a leftover.

Lesley - I am so impressed with your dedication to your health.

Just roasted a butternut squash and a spaghetti squash. That's my latest thing -- butternut squash and spaghetti squash

Sylvia - I honestly didn't think of this before but we had a speaker at a Newcomer general meeting (a police officer) and he was saying how the debit card is the least secure. So what I did was get a different one and only keep about $200 on it. So if someone gets that card, they only have access to $200. I really only use the debit card when I go to Aldi since I can get money back and my bill is rarely over $200 (really, never). Spot is so very lucky to have found you

Michele in NC
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies one and all
    Cynthia the cd that isn't working properly, you should email them to either exchange it or get the contents some other way. Especially as you paid for it.

CindyM I'm sorry about the loss of your mother. It was the anniversary of the loss of mine last week. I'm not sure from your message whether you are trying to lose 13 plus 20 lbs in November or whether that is your long term goal. I think 33 lbs would be a problem in the 20 or so days left in this month.

Meg. You are right, I have been here before. Still working on the excess lbs.

Joyce. Well done with the cleaning, and getting rid of the smell.

Regarding Contractors mine is due tomorrow morning as I have a few little jobs that need to be done. I really like him and feel quite happy to go out and leave him to get on. In fact he did one reno while I was in the UK.

Make a pork roast this evening and gave some to my friend for a meal later in the week, and enough for another meal for me.

I'll see if I can put some lace pictures on my profile for anyone who is interested, but it will have to be when I'm on the computer rather than the tablet.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Genealace – you make lace? Wow, is it crocheted? Tatted?

Michele – Black bean pumpkin chili??? That sounds amazing! Recipe sharing???

Cynthia – new curtains – they make a room homey – are you making them?

Heather – I needed to hear that thanks for sharing.

Katla – it was in the bulletin – the newspapery thing; not the magazine… it is the November 2014 issue and is called Stress Don’t let it make you sick. I found it online here is the link http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2014/stress-and-disease.html

Cindy M - sorry to hear of your loss ((hugs))) your Nov. goals sound great.

Downton Abbey fans – count me in as one, I got all of the dvd’s at my library to catchup and will watch the next season in Jan. when it is on here.

November Goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon-I'm diabetic so I that white rice just shoots up my blood sugar really badly! It's amazing how you get used to things. I was brought up eating rice twice a day. Now to eat gumbo without it is weird, but I'm ok with it at least most of the time! So glad that your goals for this month are working for you. Keep up the great job!

Yanniejannie - Your poor daughter. I don't think I could work 36 days in a row. Your daughter must be exhausted. I understand why you are concerned.

grandmallie - You are so wonderful and thoughtful to help out your neighbors and your DFIL. They are lucky to have you.

CindyM - Sorry to about you losing your mom. That's always a difficult time. Having that happen on top of fracturing your ribs must have been really difficult for you. Good luck with your goals for November. We are all hear cheering for you!

Barbie - You just seem to have it all together. I'm extremely organized at work...at home, not so much! I think the book you read is right. If you give too much in one area, there just isn't enough left of you to give anywhere else.

Meg - I hope Nikita starts nursing well and gaining weight. Your poor daughter. It is so painful when a baby nurses and your nipples are so sore! That certainly doesn't help the mood!

jnkmomm - I'm so glad that choir went so well today. Isn't it uplifting to listen to that music.

Maryann - So sorry to hear that your ankle is giving you so much trouble. I hope you find out what's causing it and can get back on your feet soon.

Trish - I am officially jealous...90 degrees!

Leslie in Tasmania - Congratulations on your inches lost. Don't pay attention to the scale...you are losing inches! That's what counts! Keep up the great work!

Sylvia - Sounds like you had a great day with Spot and the kids!

exermom - Thanks for the recipe! It looks good. I'm going to have to try it. You sound like you have an "artsy" side. That's awesome. I don't know about you, but at least when I'm doing something like that, I'm not eating! You seem to have a rigorous exercise plan. Keep up the great work! I don't know how you do it all!

Have a great week everyone!

Barb from South Louisiana

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michelle, as I have mentioned before, Charlie can be, shall we say 'angry' at times! And when he was bowling regularly he tried to maintain at least an average of 170. He's one of those guys who doesn't release the ball onto the floor or even close to it. He throws the ball half way down the lane. And if he doesn't do well he has been known to hit the ball return pretty hard. He would be really upset at himself if he didn't get that good of a score if he ever went back to bowling. He was not an easy person to bowl with. His bowling came naturally and he just doesn't understand how it doesn't come that way to other people. My best year on a league was when my first game I bowled a 101 and my highest score was 157. 70 had been my previous average. I'm glad we gave the ball away. He hadn't thought of bowling in years until Michelle found his ball last night.

I think I am going back to some of my old tendencies when it comes to eating cereal dry and not being able to control myself. HELP!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Saturday we babysat 3 of the DGC while our kids went to watch Roller Derby and then on to something to eat and a few drinks. Sounds like they all had a great time as did I. I worked on puzzles with the little ones then played checkers and crokinole with the DGS. We let him order our chinese food and he did a good job. Also went swimming with them earlier in the afternoon. Sunday my DD and DDIL helped me do some cleaning and organizing of the house.

yannijannie- Congrats on your first television appearance. Star in the making?

Terri- Glad you enjoyed Kenny Rogers and re-connecting with your friend.

Kim - Thanks for the suggestion, second hand stores are a great idea however Lethbridge is a small city and I've looked in the couple we do have. Good thing I have my old one as "The Polar Vortex" has arrived.

Rita - How is it working with a personal trainer? I'm intimidated by the thought of that.

Heather - Sounds like you are really getting use out of the Kitchen Aid. Hope you are feeling better.

Beth - Thanks for reminding me that I can use WII fit when it is cold. I enjoy WII Dance also

signing off from the winter wonderland
    -Sharon
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Meg: still thinking of you.

Allison: of course you are tired! I hope you really will have a break in Florida. How long will you be there?

Jane: glad you’re feeling better.

Njitaliana: !! My rehab doctor told me to stand on one leg at a time to improve my balance for when I get my new knee. Now my ankle is bothering me too; even bicycling (I can hardly walk because of the knee) brings on pain. I don’t know whether it’s ligaments or a tendon. The PT couldn’t tape me because my feet are so flat the tape would pull my skin. Going to the GP today to see whether he has any good ideas.

Sylvia: love the messages about Spot. Somehow they just make me happy.

Genealace: I did mail the dvd people, and within 15 minutes they had put all the files on a web page for me to download! So I have them all on my computer now and don’t need to chance it with the dvd.

Kim: no, unfortunately I’m not good at sewing, so I will have to have the curtains made.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,794 Member
    Options
    well I knew it would happen~
    I told the DH last night before bed about the classes for Hospice care, and the first words out his mouth was how much does it pay.. when he found out it was volunteer , he turned over in bed and ignored me,wont talk to me this morning..
    I told him it wouldn't interfere with all my other duties and im trying to parlay it into a paying job when I go to Florida.. but he wasnt having it..
    soooo now I get the silent treatment
    I dont know he is either very selfish,or doesnt understand how important a job like that can be..
    Oh well, im going into work at 12:30 will try and and get his dinner and lunch and wash the floors
  • obxbeach
    obxbeach Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit late to the November party :) , but I'd like to join you! Goals for this month:

- record food and exercise on MFP
    - get to the gym 3 times a week (C25K podcast and trying rowing machine)
    - drink 8 glasses of water a day

I turned 50 in July - lots of my plate with work, family, not so healthy parents. I rejoined the Y earlier this year and am trying to refocus on my health. I hope this board will help me recapture the "old me". I need to lose 50 lbs. I had set a goal last year to do it by my birthday, but both of my parents got sick, so without family nearby (except husband and kids), the responsibility is on me to do everything so my own fitness and nutrition goals have had to take a back seat. (If you've ever been in this situation, you know the challenges.)

Have a powerful week!

Terri
  • barbiecat
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »

I think I am going back to some of my old tendencies when it comes to eating cereal dry and not being able to control myself. HELP!!!

Joyce, Indiana

Joyce, After several distressing experiences of eating my favorite dry cereal right out of the box, I made the decision to stop buying it...I added cereal to my list of foods that I can't have in my house. :'(

<3 Barbie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cindy M. so sorry to hear about your mom. :flowerforyou:

Terri I am glad you are making the decision to take care of yourself now. Your body will thank you for it.

On chrome book and working today, so I am keeping this short. They are saying will get 5-10 inches of snow, so I need to leave early today.

Have a great day!

rose.gif MN Margaret
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    {{{Alison}}} ... I don't know how you maintain a positive attitude ...

On the subject of trigger foods ... there are some things I just can't have in the house ... crackers, cheese spreads, chocolate, cookies ... and the list goes on ...

Have a great day ladies!
    Beth
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,794 Member
    Options
    well I wrote him a note,saying I was disappointed and asked why he couldn't support me in something I wanted to do, left him the schedule and hopefully he doesnt throw it out, told him nothing will be effected with taking care of the house,cooking,cleaning,taking care of his dad etc...
    im sure he will still keep his attitude after I get home,but oh well..