Eating good but Gaining weight?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Unless you are weighing ALL of your solid food, you cannot be sure you are accurate on your calorie deficit. I see that you have been asked multiple times about this, do you ahve a digital food scale? If you don't have one, then buy one. Here's why:
    Example: a serving of oatmeal, according to the label, is 1/2 cup (45 grams). if you measure 1/2 cup and assume that it is the 150 calories from the label, and then weigh it on a food scale, you will find that a level 1/2 cup is over the 45 grams, closer to 55 or 60 grams. Now you're closer to 200 calories, just for that serving of oatmeal. If you measure all your food, all day long, and are 50 calories off on every serving, you could be hundreds of calories over by the end of the day. Fruit is a big one too. Often people will log a piece of fruit as small, medium or large - well which is it? Kind of hard to judge. Weigh it, this is how you know how many calories are in that piece of fruit.

If you are gaining weight, you are eating too many calories. Flat out, that's it.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    morgenla wrote: »
    Muscle weighs 3x as much as fat, so if you're working out 4x a week, it's possible you're building muscle. How are your clothes fitting?

I'm going to nitpick here, but what you mean is "muscle is more dense than fat" - 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat, it just takes up more less space. (Edited cause I am a muppet)

Sorry, just be careful saying that round here. It's an error that can get some people jumping on you
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    OP, it's not only about "not going over", it's about establishing the number of calories you need to support your activity and keep losing weight, and that can be a bit of a balancing act. I suggest you read up about BMR/TDEE and start adjusting your calories, even by just 100 per day, until you find your right level. Strange as it may sound, it might be that you're actually eating too few calories and need to adjust upwards.
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Example: a serving of oatmeal, according to the label, is 1/2 cup (45 grams)...

We're lucky in the UK that our serving sizes are dictated by weight, so by following the pack(s) and using a food scale, unless it's a hybrid weight/ml thing like ketchup, we tend to be alright.

Point is valid but OP has addressed this question already (and when it comes to fruit, unless it's a hugely high calorie item, they're not 300kcals out a day, unless she manages to wolf down masses of them ((she may be, true, but unlikely)) it would maybe cause maintaining rather than gain)
  • mccindy72
    Options

We're lucky in the UK that our serving sizes are dictated by weight, so by following the pack(s) and using a food scale, unless it's a hybrid weight/ml thing like ketchup, we tend to be alright.

Point is valid but OP has addressed this question already (and when it comes to fruit, unless it's a hugely high calorie item, they're not 300kcals out a day, unless she manages to wolf down masses of them ((she may be, true, but unlikely)) it would maybe cause maintaining rather than gain)

I call BS on this. Every single item of food, if measured rather than weighed, can be off by many calories. if each one is 25-50 calories off, by the end of the day, a person can be off by 200-300 calories. Since the deficit most people are working on is approximately 500 calories to lose a pound a week, this would result in little to no weight loss.

Fruit, being high in sugar, can be quite off in calorie count if judged by size rather than weight. Especially apples and bananas, which are big favorites in the US.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    OP, it's not only about "not going over", it's about establishing the number of calories you need to support your activity and keep losing weight, and that can be a bit of a balancing act. I suggest you read up about BMR/TDEE and start adjusting your calories, even by just 100 per day, until you find your right level. Strange as it may sound, it might be that you're actually eating too few calories and need to adjust upwards.

No. Eating too few calories does NOT cause weight gain. CI/CO. Physics. Science. Unless OP has a medical condition, this makes no sense.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    morgenla wrote: »
    Muscle weighs 3x as much as fat, so if you're working out 4x a week, it's possible you're building muscle. How are your clothes fitting?

It's not possible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options

I call BS on this. Every single item of food, if measured rather than weighed, can be off by many calories. if each one is 25-50 calories off, by the end of the day, a person can be off by 200-300 calories. Since the deficit most people are working on is approximately 500 calories to lose a pound a week, this would result in little to no weight loss.

Fruit, being high in sugar, can be quite off in calorie count if judged by size rather than weight. Especially apples and bananas, which are big favorites in the US.

If we're assuming it's only the fruit that's incorrect (as, like I said, all other dictated serving sizes in the UK are in grams) unless she's getting through 10 apples a day it wouldn't cause such a huge discrepancy.

I'm sad, I measure my fruit with a ruler, then weigh them, then compare the calories for both according to the MFP database - most I've ever been out was about 18kcals...

You mention US - the OP is from the UK?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    The OP has never answered the question of weighing food with a scale vs. measuring, if so, I missed it - I apologize if this is the case. I'm not assuming it's just fruit.
    - Bottom line is, if OP is gaining weight, OP is eating too many calories. Either exercise calories are being overestimated, or eaten calories or being underestimated.
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies.. i understand im a bit dim on this.
    But everyone is saying eating less... i am eating less.. im eating on average 500 calories less a day (and the sugar and carbs and stuff too) sometimes its only 250 calories less.. but either way its less all round. ill keep going but this is truly annoying.. when i didn't even try to lose weight i lost 29lbs, now i track it all i cant seems to budge anything!? :confused:

one more time …do you own a food scale and use it all the time…????

this question has been asked about ten times in this thread and you continue to ignore it…

Jesus Mary and Joesph!!! yes i own pigging food scale!!!!!! and i don't mean i miss it all in one day, i mean OCCASIONALLY i miss something like a square
    simple! i know what i put in my mouth, i know what it weights, what kind of food it is, i write it down, i do it as ANYONE else would. but its doesnt go down. :expressionless:

^^ Yeah, she addressed that (no worries, there's a lot of stuff to trawl through :) )

Exercise calorie eating back has been talked about too, as she was eating the full amount (knocking it down to 50% may well help)

I'm answering OP related questions again. My apologies
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    The OP has never answered the question of weighing food with a scale vs. measuring, if so, I missed it - I apologize if this is the case. I'm not assuming it's just fruit.
    - Bottom line is, if OP is gaining weight, OP is eating too many calories. Either exercise calories are being overestimated, or eaten calories or being underestimated.

She's answered that question over and over.

• jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options

If we're assuming it's only the fruit that's incorrect (as, like I said, all other dictated serving sizes in the UK are in grams) unless she's getting through 10 apples a day it wouldn't cause such a huge discrepancy.

I'm sad, I measure my fruit with a ruler, then weigh them, then compare the calories for both according to the MFP database - most I've ever been out was about 18kcals...

You mention US - the OP is from the UK?

Yes i am UK based, and yes i weight them, i don't check the circumference, but im great to seeing, judging and maths, so i know the difference between a 5" Banana and 7" or a small, medium and large plumb.
    But as i said, it will only be occasionally i will be out i.e maybe i had the urge to have an extra grape from the fridge but thats all (and i just mean hypothetically once a week not 5 times a day) :blush: :
  • khoddy
    khoddy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello, it sounds as if you've made tremendous success in the past. So take a moment to acknowledge that feat! That being said, it can be incredibly frustrating to not see the changes you are expecting when taking the measures thought to be necessary to reach your ongoing goal.

Here are somethings to keep in mind:
    1. Our weight changes (up and down) all of the time. Do not get hung-up on 2 lbs as long is it is not accumulating. Tracking your weight definitely helps with observing these natural changes (I weigh myself everyday after urinating and before hopping in the shower).
    2. As one loses weight their resting metabolic rates decreases to lower than another person at that current weight who never lost weight. This means if person A weighs 150 lbs and was previously 180 and person B has been 150 lbs their entire life, then person A will need less calories than person B. It's not fair..... but incredibly true and well supported in academic literature.
    3. People (especially overweight and obese individuals) have been shown in studies to underestimated their caloric intake by as much as 30%. Couple this with my statement #2, and we see that calorie recommendations may lead us astray. Consider it a guide- not gospel. Another option is to use your own food portions as a guide. Cut your standard portions by 1/4. Try this for 2 weeks, and see if you notice a difference.
    4. Exercise estimations are widely inaccurate. Do not exercise with the intention that you can eat more. Do it for health, and if you are really hungry on those days, have a small snack and don't worry about the number.
    5. Yes a calorie is a calorie... but higher fat diets have been shown to increase meal satisfaction, fullness, and even metabolic rate. Aim to keep protein moderate, decrease total carbohydrate (not just sugar), and increase plant based fats (olive oil, coconut milk, nuts). Focus on getting your carbohydrates from vegetables and specifically lower glycemic index ones (ie green beans, asparagus, leafy greens, and broccoli instead of potatoes). In the case of fiber, you can count these carbs essentially as "freebies" because they will not raise your blood sugar, help to slow digestion, and will help you to feel more full. Additionally if you want something starchy or sweet (breads and treats) aim to have these early in the day or near your workout. The carbohydrates in these will give you an energy boost for a workout. (ie: 1 cup watermelon 30 minutes before workout or 1/2 pint of raspberries with 1/8 c walnuts as a mid-day snack).
    6. Get rid of fake food--- (fat free, sugar free, processed junk). You will lose weight initially using these foods, and they might be a great option for some. However, you can't go wrong with leans meats and produce. Try this for 1 month, you'll fee fantastic!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    OP - try this website to make sure you have your calorie deficit right. you may have the estimation wrong for how many calories you need to eat to lose weight. if you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/
  • jessiemjporter
    Options

this is a great post and thank you for forwarding it on the read it, i might create my own Calorie goal (allowing myself the chance to tighten up on my food intake)
    Thank you
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    khoddy wrote: »
    Hello, it sounds as if you've made tremendous success in the past. So take a moment to acknowledge that feat! That being said, it can be incredibly frustrating to not see the changes you are expecting when taking the measures thought to be necessary to reach your ongoing goal.

Here are somethings to keep in mind:
    1. Our weight changes (up and down) all of the time. Do not get hung-up on 2 lbs as long is it is not accumulating. Tracking your weight definitely helps with observing these natural changes (I weigh myself everyday after urinating and before hopping in the shower).
    2. As one loses weight their resting metabolic rates decreases to lower than another person at that current weight who never lost weight. This means if person A weighs 150 lbs and was previously 180 and person B has been 150 lbs their entire life, then person A will need less calories than person B. It's not fair..... but incredibly true and well supported in academic literature.
    3. People (especially overweight and obese individuals) have been shown in studies to underestimated their caloric intake by as much as 30%. Couple this with my statement #2, and we see that calorie recommendations may lead us astray. Consider it a guide- not gospel. Another option is to use your own food portions as a guide. Cut your standard portions by 1/4. Try this for 2 weeks, and see if you notice a difference.
    4. Exercise estimations are widely inaccurate. Do not exercise with the intention that you can eat more. Do it for health, and if you are really hungry on those days, have a small snack and don't worry about the number.
    5. Yes a calorie is a calorie... but higher fat diets have been shown to increase meal satisfaction, fullness, and even metabolic rate. Aim to keep protein moderate, decrease total carbohydrate (not just sugar), and increase plant based fats (olive oil, coconut milk, nuts). Focus on getting your carbohydrates from vegetables and specifically lower glycemic index ones (ie green beans, asparagus, leafy greens, and broccoli instead of potatoes). In the case of fiber, you can count these carbs essentially as "freebies" because they will not raise your blood sugar, help to slow digestion, and will help you to feel more full. Additionally if you want something starchy or sweet (breads and treats) aim to have these early in the day or near your workout. The carbohydrates in these will give you an energy boost for a workout. (ie: 1 cup watermelon 30 minutes before workout or 1/2 pint of raspberries with 1/8 c walnuts as a mid-day snack).
    6. Get rid of fake food--- (fat free, sugar free, processed junk). You will lose weight initially using these foods, and they might be a great option for some. However, you can't go wrong with leans meats and produce. Try this for 1 month, you'll fee fantastic!

Thank you so much for this advise, it seems very detailed and just what i need.
    This may a be a long shot, but i eat After i have worked out (my evening meal) can that have an effect on what my body does with the foods?
    or could you recommend anything Before and After a work out :smiley:
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options
    Your TDEE according to my calculations on IIFYM is 2175. The BMR is 1582.

If you can 100% say, hand on heart, you are measuring everything accurately, aim to eat 1600kcals a day and see how it goes for 2 weeks.
  • PatriciaRicotta
    PatriciaRicotta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need healthy fats to loss weight if don't eat enough fats your body holds on to fats. I loss weight very steady I fat 75- 80 grams a fat a day.
  • PatriciaRicotta
    PatriciaRicotta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    and I eat about 1650 calorie a day i'm still losing