If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    parkscs wrote: »
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

People judge but don't want to be judged..

I did not say I think this will make us immune from cancer and disease but what I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases, if you refrain from junk food and feed your body what it should have.

If you knew me personally, you would know that I have had my fair share and then some of loss and reality. Those who can see my heart (thank you for the messages) are what keeps me going. It's not discouraging at all to receive such backlash, it empowers me to go out and learn more in hopes that one day, the world might be a healthier and happier place for us.

For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

Ok, now I'm really done, lol. Have a good day!!

While wikipedia is not the best source to cite, no-one has said that macronutrients are all that matter.

Going to post one of my favorite quotes - from an actual

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"

There are very few foods that actively are bad for you, medical conditions aside, and in reasonable doses.

Also, please do go out and learn more.

From what I get from her post is that macronutrients isn't everything. There is a very good case to be made from micronutrient dense food intake. Not from a weight/calorie count standpoint but from a health standpoint. If your statement above includes both macro and micro, you two are agreeing more than disagreeing.

My point was, no-one said it was. I am not agreeing with her at all however on most of her points. She seems to think that non-nutrient foods are toxic or something. They are not. She also seems to think that fast food has no nutrients at all - which is ludicrous.

I only read her last quote that seems to summarize her point.

1) I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases

You agree or disagree?

2) For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

You agree or disagree?

I didn't read the wiki but I tend to agree with both of her statements. In a general sense.

I'm not sure if she is saying junk foods are toxic or not vs them being very micronutrient lacking. And there is probably a bunch of ingredients in various junk foods that aren't particularly great for you but that is merely my opinion. And I'll quantify that by stating that the amount of junk food intake would have to be pretty high and often to make a difference.

Try reading the rest of her posts, then get back to us!

OK, offer me some grace please, lol... I'm working on how to best articulate my thoughts and views. But I will say that I do believe that most of what is available to us to eat is harmful to our bodies because a) the presence of chemicals and ingredients they contain, we were not made to consume and b) the absence of nutrients that heal and protect (immune system) us leave our guards down. It will do the best job it can with what it's given but sooner or later, it does catch up with you and the results are usually not good.

Maybe my approach was wrong at first but all I'm ultimately after is to offer hope to those who are struggling with these types of foods. There is another way and it's so worth it.. To have been able to say that you lived a life to it's fullest potential and in the process of doing so, you taught your children how to have the same.

I really do mean well. I promise.

Well whatever you did appeared to have worked for you. Looking at your profile it appears to be reasonable. But maybe you need to further educate yourself on your sources. Some of them come across pretty controversial. Stating that food is "bad" doesn't go over well here. IMHO, there's never been a time where we had such nutrient dense foods available to us and at the same time had so much nutrient deficient foods available to us. There's never been a time where us as individuals have required to be educated about what we eat. It's up us and not anyone else to know what we eat. Or if we choose to eat, know the "why".
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

I did not say I think this will make us immune from cancer and disease but what I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases, if you refrain from junk food and feed your body what it should have.

If you knew me personally, you would know that I have had my fair share and then some of loss and reality. Those who can see my heart (thank you for the messages) are what keeps me going. It's not discouraging at all to receive such backlash, it empowers me to go out and learn more in hopes that one day, the world might be a healthier and happier place for us.

For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

While wikipedia is not the best source to cite, no-one has said that macronutrients are all that matter.

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"

There are very few foods that actively are bad for you, medical conditions aside, and in reasonable doses.

From what I get from her post is that macronutrients isn't everything. There is a very good case to be made from micronutrient dense food intake. Not from a weight/calorie count standpoint but from a health standpoint. If your statement above includes both macro and micro, you two are agreeing more than disagreeing.

My point was, no-one said it was. I am not agreeing with her at all however on most of her points. She seems to think that non-nutrient foods are toxic or something. They are not. She also seems to think that fast food has no nutrients at all - which is ludicrous.

1) I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases

You agree or disagree?

2) For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

You agree or disagree?

I didn't read the wiki but I tend to agree with both of her statements. In a general sense.

I'm not sure if she is saying junk foods are toxic or not vs them being very micronutrient lacking. And there is probably a bunch of ingredients in various junk foods that aren't particularly great for you but that is merely my opinion. And I'll quantify that by stating that the amount of junk food intake would have to be pretty high and often to make a difference.

OK, offer me some grace please, lol... I'm working on how to best articulate my thoughts and views. But I will say that I do believe that most of what is available to us to eat is harmful to our bodies because a) the presence of chemicals and ingredients they contain, we were not made to consume and b) the absence of nutrients that heal and protect (immune system) us leave our guards down. It will do the best job it can with what it's given but sooner or later, it does catch up with you and the results are usually not good.

Maybe my approach was wrong at first but all I'm ultimately after is to offer hope to those who are struggling with these types of foods. There is another way and it's so worth it.. To have been able to say that you lived a life to it's fullest potential and in the process of doing so, you taught your children how to have the same.

a) Which chemicals and at what dose are they harmful?
    b) Nutrient deficient diets are bad. Nutrient sparse foods can and do exist among diets that meet nutrient needs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Probably The Food Babe!!

Thanks! :)

That was NOT a complement.

All I know about her is that she exposes manufacturers for what is REALLY in their food. I will have to read more because based on that alone, it is a compliment to me.

Please read more. If you think it a compliment, then it explains a lot.

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I do know, and of course, we are all accountable for our own actions........but did you know Little CiCis Pizza adds tons of sugar to their pizza doe, just so they kids will eat more....again ,im not getting into this drama, but its all about corporations enhancing profits for the share holders.....more food consumed = more money

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    KFC is like crack and you all know it.

tumblr_m12cuiMCsX1qcnihto1_500.gif
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Probably The Food Babe!!

All I know about her is that she exposes manufacturers for what is REALLY in their food. I will have to read more because based on that alone, it is a compliment to me.

The food babe is a joke...

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugary pizza sounds disgusting. How much do they actually add and what is your source for this? (I've never heard of them.)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sugary pizza sounds disgusting. How much do they actually add and what is your source for this? (I've never heard of them.)

I thought CiCi's was strictly a buffet, so they'd want you to actually eat less....
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I don't see that much sugar in their pizza. BBQ but that's to be expected
    http://www.cicispizza.com/menu-nutrition/nutrition-guide
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i typically don't eat things out of garbage cans. if it's a food product that's not in a garbage can and hasn't gone bad, it's not trash. it's just food. Anyway, I could pretty well gorge myself on what others consider "trash" food (ice cream, cake, candy, fries...whatever) and not feel bad at all...either physically or mentally. To each their own, I guess.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    lloydrt wrote: »
    I do know, and of course, we are all accountable for our own actions........but did you know Little CiCis Pizza adds tons of sugar to their pizza doe, just so they kids will eat more....again ,im not getting into this drama, but its all about corporations enhancing profits for the share holders.....more food consumed = more money

I've made pizza dough with sugar many times. It's not a lot, and it's certainly not to entice the kiddies to come over to my place. That's what the candy is for.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

You base whether or not a person lives their life to its fullest potential based on the foods they consume?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Probably The Food Babe!!

The food babe is a joke...

I particularly like her article on microwaves, where she has claimed that they cause water molecules to form crystals that resemble crystals that have been exposed to "negative thoughts or beliefs," including the names of Hitler and Satan.

Also....lololol...toxic tissues:

http://foodbabe.com/2012/04/09/its-allergy-season-are-you-using-toxic-tissues/

While ^^these are ridiculous, they are 'relatively' harmless. However, her stance on vaccinations most definitely is not.

She is a freaking idiot - good at marketing, but an idiot nonetheless.
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

Well whatever you did appeared to have worked for you. Looking at your profile it appears to be reasonable. But maybe you need to further educate yourself on your sources. Some of them come across pretty controversial. Stating that food is "bad" doesn't go over well here. IMHO, there's never been a time where we had such nutrient dense foods available to us and at the same time had so much nutrient deficient foods available to us. There's never been a time where us as individuals have required to be educated about what we eat. It's up us and not anyone else to know what we eat. Or if we choose to eat, know the "why".

Then why are so many people sick, obese, dying, not knowing where to turn? If we are free indeed to make our own choices, perhaps it does have something to do with manipulation and addiction from the manufacturers to consumers because why aren't we choosing better quality and fresher foods then? Based on statistics, we are more unhealthy as a culture than we are healthy and thriving.

Not to you specifically but I think we really need to be open to people trying to make a better world by offering ideas, information and personal experience that has worked for them in many ways. Sometimes, we need to look beyond the scientic reasoning and explaining and just embrace the fact that fresh fruits and veggies are far more helpful to us vs harmful, like 90% of what's in a typical grocery store. The proof is in the pudding.

And thank you the compliment on my weight loss, as that's how I'm taking it. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    rml_16 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »
    i LOVE KFC... MMMMM greasy chickeny goodness!!!!

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    It's an approximation of what we used to think was chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Hence the reason for it not being called Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore

If it's not chicken, what is it then?

They just don't get it, lol...

Get what?

^^^Can we get an answer to this?

Get the fact that it is no longer real chicken (like the real one clucking, laying eggs..) because it has been processed, filled with preservatives and addictive chemicals to the point that it tastes different (better). It's more common and convenient now to eat KFC than it is to go out and "get the chicken ready for dinner!".

I don't think it tastes better than the chicken I roast in my oven. I'm also perfectly capable of having a piece of KFC and leaving it at just one piece. And I still like my chicken better. So, addictive chemicals? Not buying it.

ETA: I think the "addictive" part is the convenience. People are addicted to their own laziness.

When I was eating it all the time, it tasted better than home made chicken. When I finally starved out the junk, I adapted to the healthy version of chicken, which I absolutely prefer now. I would probably spit out KFC if I tried it these days, although if I did in fact have to down it, I could certainly just stick to that one piece as well. IF I continued to eat it though, I would become accustomed to it and start craving it.

It is a toxic hunger with a never ending cycle. Consumption but no ultimately satisfaction because there are no nutrients there to satiate you which leads to overconsumption too often in the day. The high fat content and chemicals is what tricks your body into thinking you're full but it's just for a short time, maybe a few hours then you need more to sustain you.

There are 36g of protein in an original recipe KFC chicken breast (320 calories). How is that void of nutrients?
    Well, if you're hungry again "a few hours" after eating, clearly it's a lack of nutrients and nothing to do with your stomach being empty because you digested what you ate and it's time to eat again ...

I'm always hungry!

Especially after the sushi thread!

Wait...do you think sushi is addictive?! Skerred.
    I blame it on the soy sauce and wasabi. That itch I get behind my head is addictive.............................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sarauk2sf
    edited November 2014
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

Then why are so many people sick, obese, dying, not knowing where to turn? If we are free indeed to make our own choices, perhaps it does have something to do with manipulation and addiction from the manufacturers to consumers, then why aren't we choosing better quality and fresher foods then? Based on statistics, we are more unhealthy as a culture than we are healthy and thriving.

Not to you specifically but I think we really need to be open to people trying to make a better world by offering ideas, information and personal experience that has worked for them in many ways. Sometimes, we need to look beyond the scientic reasoning and explaining and just embrace the fact that fresh fruits and veggies are far more helpful to us vs harmful, like 90% of what's in a typical grocery store. The proof is in the pudding.

And thank you the compliment on my weight loss, as that's how I'm taking it. :smile:

1) who said fruits and veggies are far more harmful?

2) please be specific as to what is actually harmful in 90% of the typical grocery store - assuming that you get your nutrients from whole foods and we are taking about reasonable doses here.

Edited to fix a typo
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    So, really, it means nothing until the person using the word explains their definition of "a moderate amount."

I don't really use the term "moderation" much for my own diet (and let's not get into politics), but as I said in the other thread I don't actually think it's hard to define, although it is subjective.

It means eating a food in a "non excessive" manner. What is excessive? Well, we are talking about health and nutrition, so excessive would mean in a way that is contrary to the goals of good health and nutrition.

To use a common question as an example, there always seem to be a number of people worried that they are eating fruit in excess, usually because their sugar numbers are above some MFP goal. IMO, fruit is being eating in excess (or not in "moderation") is you eat so much that you are eating more than the calories you should be (you are gaining weight if you shouldn't or not losing if weight loss is your goal), getting less protein than you should be, or less overall nutrients than you should be. If none of those are true, and you just happen to like fruit and eat it in lieu of all the grains recommended by the old food pyramid, say, and go over your "sugar limit" as a result, so what? I still think that's moderate. It's all context.

The problem with "clean" IMO is not that it's subjective, but that it (a) means contradictory things, and (b) takes a word that means something specific and applies it to in essence insult the foods you don't choose to eat and those who eat them. Plus, in a food context it's essentially a religious term and demonstrates that there's a weirdly religious aspect to how some approach food.

And I say this as someone who can fetishize whole foods and the "natural" too. I just try to be self-aware of it and to realize it's my quirk and not some real issue of nutrition or purity. For many eating more processed foods (like the Nutrigrain bars you sometimes recommend) may be helpful to their nutrition goals, even though it would not be to mine. That's great.

I have never recommended a Nutrigrain bar. I don't eat them. I don't know what is in them or if they're good. I do eat Nature Valley Crunchy Granola bars (except cinnamon.) Do I recommend them a lot? I didn't know that, lol. They are VERY filling and yummy. When I ate no other fat, I ate those with my vitamins. It's one thing I never gave up. They are so good! :)

Oops, my mistake. But you knew what I meant! (My sister eats the Nutrigrain ones and they all seem about the same to me.)
    I did not see this thread everyone thinks I've seen. I don't know what politics are involved or even exactly what you mean by that. Today is not the first time I've suggested that we have no definitions for the words "clean" and "moderation", lol. It's not even the first week or month.

Oh, the politics comment wasn't a reference to the other thread. Just that fact that people claim to be a "moderate" or that certain policies appeal to "moderates" and that means nothing either. It was supposed to be humorous.
    All these cries of, "It's okay to eat it in moderation!" ... just drop the "in moderation." It's okay to eat it. Everyone can eat whatever they want, even if it's not good for them. It's also okay to eat a totally healthy diet, with absolutely no processed foods. Grow all your own food. Eat only McDonald's.

Yeah, sure. I think the discussion is about health, though. The point is that one can care about health and construct a diet that she thinks is healthy and yet which contains, I dunno, cheesecake, so long as the cheesecake is in moderation, by which I mean not excessive, by which I mean does not get in the way of the overall health and nutrition goals. Eating cheesecake for every meal would, as you wouldn't get enough micros or protein. Eating cheesecake so that you are over maintenance and gain would be excessive if you aren't underweight. There are ways to discuss the concept that aren't just personal preference even if it's (a) debateable and (b) subjective, so we won't all agree.

I think some people are better off giving up certain foods if that's what they want to do, so wouldn't even say that's not moderate. What bugs me is when people insist that the definition of health is eliminating foods, especially when the foods they insist should be eliminated aren't even bad IMO (the usual "all processed foods" thing). Or when false claims are made as to what's unhealthy about the foods (I simply don't believe that KFC chicken is "addictive" and think that's silly, although I also never eat it because if I am going to blow calories on fried chicken it had better be really delicious fried chicken worth the occasional splurge).
    Nobody is a better or worse person because they eat ribs or don't eat ice cream or whatever.

I would certainly hope that everyone agrees with this!
    Sorry I missed the joke! I really didn't see the thread, lol.

No, everyone isn't going to agree about everything. It would be a very boring planet if everyone agreed about everything.

It would be nice if everyone had the same definition of "moderate" and "clean", but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. So, everyone will just keep arguing about those things.

I don't like fried chicken and will not vote in the KFC Chicken-Off.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

Then why are so many people sick, obese, dying, not knowing where to turn? If we are free indeed to make our own choices, perhaps it does have something to do with manipulation and addiction from the manufacturers to consumers because why aren't we choosing better quality and fresher foods then? Based on statistics, we are more unhealthy as a culture than we are healthy and thriving.

I eat pudding everyday!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

Then why are so many people sick, obese, dying, not knowing where to turn? If we are free indeed to make our own choices, perhaps it does have something to do with manipulation and addiction from the manufacturers to consumers, then why aren't we choosing better quality and fresher foods then? Based on statistics, we are more unhealthy as a culture than we are healthy and thriving.

Because food companies tout their marketing with no considering to us. We watch TV and believe what's being feed to us. Only those that choose not to believe everything start down the path to the truth. I think you have started down the path but need some re-direction. That lady you want to believe is no better than the food industry marketing. If you want the truth, it's not with her.