123457»

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    khoddy wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    khoddy wrote: »
    If you're working out for less than 1 hr, make sure that your post workout snack is very small. Some people like to fast prior to exercise, but really this depends on a lot of different factors. I would not recommend it for beginners. Put more focus on your pre/post meal if you decided to cut carbs. Cutting carbs may make you feel more fatigued during a workout. So, if you do cut carbs, try having a small snack before your workout. The specifics of which will be determined by how well you tolerate it. I find that if I eat before lifting, I have no issues. However, if I eat before running.... I will get sick. So on days that I know I will do a run workout, I will have something easy to digest and have it further away from my run. If lifting, make sure to get protein before and after your workout (aim for a 2:1 ratio of carbs:protein). In this window of time, you are priming your muscles to take in nutrients rather than fat cells. For just cardio days, only eat before if you need a bump in energy to get through your workout. Should you feel fatigued the rest of the day, eat a small snack as well. Eat something immediately if you feel shaky or lightheaded at all!!! If you really really like high carbohydrate foods and want to eat them still, have them around your workout window b/c they will be better utilized (goes to muscle instead of fat as mentioned previously). Keep in mind though, ANY excess will go to fat cell.

High carb foods post workout is a very bad idea. You should be eating high protein foods post workout, as workouts do muscle damage, and protein is the body's muscle builder.

A carbohydrate ratio of about 2:1 (or for very intense workouts 4:1) is necessary to help the muscles better assimilate protein. Studies have shown that both carbohydrates and protein are necessary after a workout for improved muscle recovery. In fact, these macronutrients work in synergy together. Higher glycemic foods and very bioavailable proteins (ie animal proteins such as egg white, meat, and whey protein) are necessary during this period of time around the workout due to enhanced utilization. This is the one time you do what the nutrients to get to your blood quickly. Protein loads over 30 grams in the post workout meal do not have any additional benefit that 20-30 grams of protein has. Sugar, helps us to absorb these 20-30 grams better so that the amino acids can aide in muscle repair and growth. I can send you some peer review academic literature if you'd like to be informed?

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    OP is looking to lose weight. Why are we discussing post workout nutrition as it relates to recovery and muscle building. You're not building anything while in a deficit.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    OP, it's not only about "not going over", it's about establishing the number of calories you need to support your activity and keep losing weight, and that can be a bit of a balancing act. I suggest you read up about BMR/TDEE and start adjusting your calories, even by just 100 per day, until you find your right level. Strange as it may sound, it might be that you're actually eating too few calories and need to adjust upwards.

No. Eating too few calories does NOT cause weight gain. CI/CO. Physics. Science. Unless OP has a medical condition, this makes no sense.

OP does have a medical condition. She has Crohn's. And eating too few calories still wouldn't cause weight gain.

Water retention from an inflamed intestine might stall weight loss, though. To me, a weight problem with Crohn's seems odd. The only person I know with Crohn's has a hard time keeping weight on because almost everything he eats causes him tremendous pain, so he doesn't eat much. Only one meal a day at home so he's near a bathroom for the nearly inevitable digestive reaction, and his wife is there in case he needs yet another trip to the emergency room. And what he does manage to eat doesn't get properly digested.

Obviously, OP's condition isn't nearly as advanced as his.

Crohnie stepping in…

Having Crohn's along with being overweight/obese is not uncommon. Many patients with Crohn's gain weight from the medication they have to take. Many also have trouble losing weight (I know I do).

How are you going to say OP's condition isn't as bad as your friend's? Your friend might not have his Crohn's under control which is why he is in such pain. Just because OP needs to lose weight doesn't mean her condition is any less "advanced."
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    CICO.

Honestly, this was my thought from the beginning, and my first comment on the thread. Kinda got lost in all the other stuff.
    Although if OP has IBD, she'd be best off with a diet and exercise plan recommended by her GI and dietician.

Agreed, but even IBS/Crohns isn't going to supplant CICO. In fact, she should probably be able to eat more and lose, because of inefficiency of nutritional uptake.

Wrong. Individuals with Crohn's disease, like myself, take medication that causes weight gain aka steroids.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Not all people with the issue take medication.
    Not all steroids cause weight gain.
    It still requires a caloric surplus to gain weight, that's just basic reality.
  • celtic_thistle
    celtic_thistle Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There is literally no medication on earth that will make you gain weight if you're still eating less than you're burning. Medications can make you retain water weight, or increase your appetite/decrease your energy, but you need to adjust accordingly.

72074710.png
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    There is literally no medication on earth that will make you gain weight if you're still eating less than you're burning. Medications can make you retain water weight, or increase your appetite/decrease your energy, but you need to adjust accordingly.

72074710.png

It's probably easy to sit and say that, but I'm sure it's pretty difficult if you have to take certain medications.

I took domperidone to increase lactation with my 2nd baby. I piled on weight so fast it was scary. Of course, I'm sure post partum hormones had something to do with it too. It's an anti nausea drug really and affects digestion I think.

I think it's common for cancer patients to gain weight from certain medications. I'm sure they'd love to hear that it was simple not to gain the weight, especially when they're throwing up from chemo and can't eat as they have ulcers in their mouth and no appetite.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    saying that medications themselves don't make you gain weight and saying it's simple to not gain weight while on certain meds isn't the same thing.

Some meds to affect metabolism, etc. That still doesn't mean the med itself causes the weight gain.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I took domperidone to increase lactation with my 2nd baby. I piled on weight so fast it was scary. Of course, I'm sure post partum hormones had something to do with it too. It's an anti nausea drug really and affects digestion I think.
    That would be a demonstration of caloric surplus and the impact it has on the body when sustained over a long period of time.