WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Michele, no idea of features on HRM until it arrives. Mine died of old age and did NOT want a Polar, just a watch one.
    Was good at lunch and had quiche and small mixed salad.
    All grocery shopping done and put away
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hallooo, everybody! Hope you had a great weekend. Thanks for the friendly welcome! I really appreciate your comments.

Dearest Grandmallie: I'm sorry to hear about your DFIL's problem. It's a tough situation; perhaps he'll recover in time for you to visit for Christmas.

Exermom: Thank you so much for the ice cream info. Yes, I could probably survive a spoonful or two of that brand, but at this point I've gone so long without eating ice cream that it's not important to me anymore. I'd rather save the calories.

Barbiecat: Did you happen to notice that under the picture of your huge, immense, super-extremely tall trees, it says "image has been resized to fit..."? HAHAHA!!!

Talk to you folks soon!

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Michele: could it be that doctors are getting a higher kickback for Prolia? Keep us posted on Lance. Hope he’s not feeling miserable.

Any of you dog people use a Dremel to do their nails? I’ve been resisting it, but as he grows older he’s not wearing his nails down as much, plus the nails on the foot where the toe was amputated wear unevenly. It seems to be contributing to his slipping problem. Regular nail files, even a horse hoof file, just don’t cut it (haha). Vet has recommended the Dremel a couple of times.

Working today. I need to get started on photographing a small cemetery near here, but have kept postponing it because of my ankle.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up and having a cup of tea.. not feeling so hot, I think I have a kidney infection..
    will see how it goes, if not will give the dr a ring...
    was very busy yesterday,but thank goodness we got the leaves up,because it is windy and rainy today...
    ate pretty well yesterday and i will do my best to eat well today.. actually not really that hungry
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Good morning...

Large storm heading our way ... predictions up to 2-1/2 feet of snow ... so of course everyone is running to the store for milk!?

Waiting for doctor's office to open ... DS has significant migraine today ... barometric pressure change doesn't help ... so very frustrated with this situation. Not knowing if son will need infusion... so rest of today's plans on hold ...

Sigh...

Alison... hope you feel better... don't wait too long on calling the doctor!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    Barbie, where did you buy the adjustable ankle weights?

Maryann

The ones I have are made by Altus. I got them from Amazon. They may also have been at Big Five Sporting Goods. I have two sets....one goes up to 5 pounds per ankle, the other to 10 pounds. That makes it possible to have up to fifteen pounds per ankle (I haven't done that yet).

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Alison I agree about the Dr. I hope you see him/her soon.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    EthansNana wrote: »
    MarleyJoe63 -I ended up having chicken fajitas without the tortillas. Skipped the chips too. I was within my carb and calorie count for the day so it was a good day! Thanks for asking. Eating out can be difficult. Its always a struggle for me.

Good choice! Eating out is so hard. I often can't find what I want on the menu so I just tell the waitress what I want and let her figure it out. Usually a chicken breast, potato, and broccoli or salad.

We traveled 550 miles each way to see my family this weekend. Saw the Sights and Sounds production of Moses. Wow! So nice to be with my family who I only see about once per year. I gave the gifts but told them to save them for Christmas day to open. I didn't log in at all this weekend. I made mostly good choices. My dad treated everyone to ice cream cones so I got a small one - my weight takes second place to his joy. We ran into snow coming home. 3.5" on the ground in Northeast Indiana.

Good job to all those working so hard on your meals and exercises. Today is a new day!

Diana in Indiana

• LovingLifeLivingHealthy
    LovingLifeLivingHealthy Posts: 55 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

We traveled 550 miles each way to see my family this weekend. Saw the Sights and Sounds production of Moses. Wow! So nice to be with my family who I only see about once per year. I gave the gifts but told them to save them for Christmas day to open. I didn't log in at all this weekend. I made mostly good choices. My dad treated everyone to ice cream cones so I got a small one - my weight takes second place to his joy. We ran into snow coming home. 3.5" on the ground in Northeast Indiana.

Good job to all those working so hard on your meals and exercises. Today is a new day!

Diana in Indiana

[/quote]

Diana from Indiana. . if those ice cream cones were from Strasburg Creamery up the street from Sight and Sound. . it was worth it. The BEST in my opinion. :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    morning all. 27 degrees riding to the gym this morning. brrr.. thank goodness I have all the equipment to keep me warm (and seen) while I ride. I will put my stats (workout for the day) at the end of the day because I have to ride home. have a good day all.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    CynthiaT60 wrote: »
    Good morning everyone!

Any of you dog people use a Dremel to do their nails? I’ve been resisting it, but as he grows older he’s not wearing his nails down as much, plus the nails on the foot where the toe was amputated wear unevenly. It seems to be contributing to his slipping problem. Regular nail files, even a horse hoof file, just don’t cut it (haha). Vet has recommended the Dremel a couple of times.

Working today. I need to get started on photographing a small cemetery near here, but have kept postponing it because of my ankle.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png

I have used a dremel for the kids' nails. it is something you'll have to get your pooch to hearing (the noise). give treats while trying to use it so she/he can associate a positive experience while it's on and being used. good luck
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    DS had a lot of bowling again this weekend. Averaged 190 in the tournament, and kept his temper under control, so I'm proud of him. (low to qualify was 230, so we were done after 5 hours). Today starts High School basketball team try-outs, so jerky is in the dehydrator.

I was able to NOT succumb to the high fat high carb food at the bowling alley, and drank water, so I'm proud of myself, too.

YannieJannie - funny about the tomato plants. I make my DH do the same, except with the TopsyTurvy planters. I'm sure the neigbors think I'm crazy (and DH rolls his eyes at me). We have too many large trees in my yard. Good for DS to climb and keep cool in the summer, not good for growing plants, or keeping gutters clear in the fall.

I don't like salmon steaks. Flavor was great, but I hate picking out bones. I will pay extra for the frozen deboned from now on.

I also stocked up on lunch meats, so I can start making egg meals for DS in the morning. I tried to offer him a smoothy this morning, and he put bread in the toaster instead.

Back to work this morning. -2 wind chill, so I'm thankful for working boilers and furnaces. Exercise goal today is 15 minutes on the bike again. Hopefully my knees will be ready for 20 minutes next week.

Congrats to all with successes. Prayers to all in need ! ! !

15738887.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!
    I've delayed my post as I wanted to check how my Stollen turned out. ;)
    First I made it as per instructions, but in the KitchenAid. It didn't rise. Then I rekneaded it with fast action yeast. It still didn't rise. This morning in desperation I rekneaded it with some baking powder. So now I have a very delicious Stollen Cake!!!!!!!!! It sure isn't stolen, but it tastes good. Half has gone in the freezer and I will slice up the other half for DH. I am very tempted to have another slice tomorrow, but I will resist. o:)

DH was out for lunch, seeing his cricket friend. They wanted to go for a walk, but it is far too wet underfoot and his friend doesn't have wellingtons. I bought DH posh wellingtons and socks for his birthday a year ago, but he hasn't worn them much. They ended up just going to the pub for a meal and a chat. I watched my French film. I had to watch it on my laptop as our DVD and HDD player is not repairable. :'( DH is dragging his feet about buying another one as we have had so many expenses recently. Also he is not sure what is the best solution for recording TV these days. I liked the old machine and would be happy to get another. We also have a smart TV for replays.

My big order of picture frames arrived today. Four frames to be given as Christmas presents. The silver ones are gorgeous, but all are nice. Tomorrow my free bonus ice cream maker from KitchenAid is due. Shan't be eating a lot of that, but it was free so . . . .

Tonight we are having roasted cauliflower (love it) with Bolognese sauce. I managed over 610 calories this morning because I got up early when I couldn't sleep and did 15 minutes floor exercises before breakfast. That made it a bit easier to add another 17 minutes later after my gymming on the machines. I sometimes think I am crazy at my age to be doing all this, but I know the benefits are enormous in health and mobility, not to say how I look. I do moan a lot though and poor DH just laughs at me. :D Also it means I can EAT, which is very important to me. :laugh:

Love to all. Sorry to hear some of you are having an early cold spell. We are just wet, wet, wet here. :(

Heather in rainy Hampshire UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: The photo of your home with the tree that needed to go is beautiful. You live in a gorgeous place! I love wood heat. Our current home doesn’t have the right kind of chimney for wood heat. We have a natural gas fireplace and would have to totally rebuild the chimney to switch to wood. I envy your woodstove. We had one in all of our previous homes. :flowerforyou:

Alison: I’d be upset if a nursing facility did that to my relative, too. Didn’t a doctor have to authorize that dose of medicine? I’d be contacting the doctor! :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Good luck getting your backyard landscaping taken care of. Sounds like a big job that will cost $$$. I’m sorry to hear about your back spasms. My dad had that kind of back trouble throughout his life. I learned to give a good back massage when I was just a kid. :flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: Keep your back warm, along with taking the tylenol. Would a humidifier help your breathing? I think I’d try sitting next to one! I live in a moist climate, but the rare cold spell does drop humidity noticeably and that makes breathing harder. :flowerforyou:

yanniejannie: Congrats to your DD on teaching the children’s riding class, and for the extra pay. Good luck with the fundraiser bids. :wink: I heard somewhere that a “weed” is any plant that is in the wrong place. :flowerforyou:

Michele: If a lung infection is caused by bacteria antibiotics help. If an infection is caused by a virus, it runs its course. At least that is what I’ve always been taught. Good luck to the kitty. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Spoiled ice-cream? Yuck! :noway: I’m glad they took the carton back, and I hope they checked the rest of their stock of that stuff! :flowerforyou:

Yvetterobins: How did you get your sprain? My exercise recommendation is slow walking until the sprain heals itself. Not moving is not a good idea, and walking is unlikely to cause harm. You can pace your speed to stay under the pain threshold. I’m not suggesting long hikes, either. Multiple short walks would be better than overdoing it until after you’re sprain is better. If that hurts, we have a woman who exercises from a seated position. Perhaps she can give recommendations. :flowerforyou:

bwcetc: I’ll keep your son in my prayers. Migraines are horrible. :flowerforyou:

Terri_mom: Congratulations on your victory at the bowling alley! Staying away from the high fat/high carb food is excellent! :flowerforyou:

I’m just about to go get the dog from the groomer, and then to nag DH about taking my car in for service. The visit will be about an hour and a half, so we may take two cars. That will allow us to do some running around rather than sitting there forever.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• CynthiaT60
    Options
    Katla: my aunt called weeds "volunteers". :D
  • Pamala28
    Pamala28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I have been AWOL. Somehow I got off track and have had some trouble getting back on. I did maintain my 6 pound loss from last spring.

Lately I have been on track during the work week but then lose it in the weekend. I've been riding my bike to work most days, getting in my 10,000 steps. Weekends are different.

Perhaps posting here will make me more accountable.

I enjoy your posts and do recognise some of you.

Why do I keep sabotaging myself?
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    No time to read through the weekend posts, but doing well.
    I really did not want to go to the gym today. I had an appointment with the trainer so went to not miss it. Glad I did, I think. We did Abs and she had me doing 3 planks: 45 secs, 60 secs, and a 90 secs. Thought I was going drop! Good workout though. Two weeks logging everything and not much change on the scale. My body just does not want to give it up! Meeting all my November goals except the weight loss. My PT wants me to lose 5 pounds in 2 weeks. I doubt that will happen!

Back to work for me.

Rita from CT
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone -
    I was at the "Y" at 6:00 this morning for my water aerobics class. Then it was on to a TOPS (take off pound sensibly) meeting. I am the leader this year. I presented a program on "Happiness Foods" and shared some silly stuff from the book DOG FOOD. Our chapter just hosted a regional meeting and received lots of kudos for our efforts. It was fun. Hubby and I eat our big meal at noon time. So I stuffed him with a nutritional dinner and sent him off to work at 2:00. I'll be off to the grocery store soon, then back home to cuddle with Shirley my cat.
    I am looking forward to getting to know everyone. The more support, the better!

Sylvia - I am originally from Hutchinson, Kansas. Where do you live? I know what you mean about the trees. When I first moved to Tennessee 34 years ago I could not believe all the trees. Now I take them for granted and marvel at all the fields of crops and "flatness" when I go home for visits.

Bwcetc - You mentioned your DS has migraines. Has he ever tried acupuncture? I don't have headaches but I get acupuncture once a month and it helps me so much! I used to go weekly when I was working but now can't really justify that. The lady that I go to mentioned that she has had migraine patients show remarkable improvement. It is too bad our health care plans don't recognize how much money we could save them with some of these alternative treatments. I am sorry someone close to you is suffering with pain.

Lastly - an NSV - I can zip up my coat to ward off the cold on this cold-d-d-d TN day. Couldn't do that for the last few years!
    Toni from Tennessee
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    My guy (not moved in yet with me) has been burgled. Arrrrrggggghhh!