Sushi

Options
123457»

Replies

• roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How on Earth did it take me this long to find the Sushi thread?!?

Not sure if the how to log question it was answered or not. But I usually get the same lunch combo, I also know how to make it at home. I ordered my usual order to go, took it home, dismantled it and weight everything seperate. Then put it all back together (mostly). Then I had a good idea of what I was getting, not to mention the realization that the other place I like was really skimping on the tuna....

What did the nutrition info look like? Are the facts posted about sushi pretty similar to the calculations you got?
  • luckycatfitness
    luckycatfitness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    if i cared that much, i would order what i like for take away - go home and deconstruct and weigh everything, then you know for subsequent visits. luckily i just go with mfp's numbers and i'm ok - but if it needed to be done, i'd be doing it that's for sure. go weigh that sushi! ;)
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I will say though, if someone is taking you to Applebees for sushi, run away. that's as bad as going to Olive Garden for pasta.

FIFY

:wink: Truth. Oh man these sushi posts. Need. spider roll. now.
  • Hockey_Winger
    Hockey_Winger Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    That's were things got annoying.... I originally logged stuff separate ounces of the tuna, yellow tail and rice, etc. But there are multiple listings of stuff and they are all very different, so depending on which tuna I looked at I got different results. So I started using a listing for tuna roll and a another roll that seemed close, but by then I really stopped complete logging of food anyway.

Example for me is all the listings for red delicious apples and how different they are for the same sized apple. Depending on which one I used my sugars would be over by Lunch or under limit at the end of the day....

What I determined with the three roll combo I get at lunch is if I go with a little more protein and a little less carbs at dinner I don't have to worry, I'm good.

Full logging was very useful but I deal more with over all servings now and it is working for me. I'll log occasionally if I think I need to correct something or have questions.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I buy whole standing rib roasts. When I break them down, I get snacks right off the bone. ;)

My mom wishes I'd met and married you in our respective youths lol. She taught me to eat raw meat and then my dad turned vegan when I was just a kid. And my ex was like morally opposed to spending money on quality food. He would seriously come home on the regular with whatever meat the store had marked down for imminent spoilage.
    lol. Well, much of my family is located in San Marcos, and I spent a lot of my youth in Carlsbad. Overlapping regions.

I went through a phase when I was young and barely scraping by where I hit the store mark downs, but that was due to survival not... want. ugh.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    pdank311 wrote: »
    I will say though, if someone is taking you to Applebees for sushi, run away. that's as bad as going to Olive Garden for pasta.

FIFY

:wink: Truth. Oh man these sushi posts. Need. spider roll. now.

Hee my sushi restaurant order is pretty much: sashimi sashimi sashimi spider roll.

I buy whole standing rib roasts. When I break them down, I get snacks right off the bone. ;)

My mom wishes I'd met and married you in our respective youths lol. She taught me to eat raw meat and then my dad turned vegan when I was just a kid. And my ex was like morally opposed to spending money on quality food. He would seriously come home on the regular with whatever meat the store had marked down for imminent spoilage.
    lol. Well, much of my family is located in San Marcos, and I spent a lot of my youth in Carlsbad. Overlapping regions.

I went through a phase when I was young and barely scraping by where I hit the store mark downs, but that was due to survival not... want. ugh.

My ex was a hustler, born and raised. Something in his soul told him, if you're not paying less than everyone else, you lose.

PS CS San Marcos has Mono and TB breakouts right now, or at least that's what the scary news headlines say. Don't let any friends visit you!

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    do they sell sushi in supermarkets where you live? I think I've seen that combination in mine and I would feel more comfortable weighing in my own home than in a restaurant, although kudos to the person that did! WTG.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Mono and TB?! Holy social handouts batman.

I'm due for a trip down to San Marcos too... damn. Be more dangerous to go there than Brazil. lol.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Sushi Pizza:

IMG00034-20110208-1218.jpg
  • catceol
    catceol Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty good guide: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

Just put the names into google and see which one they are talking about. Also one piece of sushi is going to be whatever the number is divided by 6. I don't think you going to get a more generically accurate calorie count then this.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Warning. it's NOT THE SAME!!

My NO-BRAINER LOW KCAL SUSHI

I make sushi with cauliflower rice and a tiny bit of stevia mixed into rice vinegar. Sprinkle salt. Strain off extra vinegar after you cooked the cauliflower al dente.

Cauliflower rice can't be rolled into maki. So I compromise. Think fish taco that taste like maki rolls. I don't like mayo, possibly you can roll with mayo as glue. I scissor the nori sheets into 3x3 squares, perfect size to make a lil bitesized "boat" where I pile the sushi ingredients onto. If you prefer bigger size like a tortilla wrap, no need to cut the nori.

200g cauliflower rice
    150g salmon
    plus pickled ginger, julienne cucumber without seed core, toasted sesame seeds
    = about 400-500 kcal

For extra lean sushi on fasting days I swap salmon with premium cod loins.

To make this even easier I buy high quality seafood fillets that I weigh into portion sizes of 100-150g and freeze them. Take out the fish and slice easy-peasy THIN sashimi while still partly frozen. You can also buy individually frozen skinned and deboned fillets now that come in about 125g each.

This no-brainer, no cooking skills sushi is so easy to do that I often make it when I come home from the gym...

Edit: Fixed spellings and minor corrections.
    I also often add small sides like slightly boiled spinach or bean sprouts with sesame oil sprinkled with sesame seeds (it's a korean thing) or cherry tomatoes.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Just toss the cauliflower and have sashimi.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    One suggestion: If your favourite sushi place does takeout or delivery, get some at home one day and weigh it on your food scale. Then you'll have an idea of how many grams there are in a slice or a roll, and you can use a similar item in grams from a chain sushi shop to approximate.

It won't be entirely accurate, but it helps.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    catceol wrote: »
    This is a pretty good guide: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

Just put the names into google and see which one they are talking about. Also one piece of sushi is going to be whatever the number is divided by 6. I don't think you going to get a more generically accurate calorie count then this.
    Those numbers seem low compared to the few sushi restaurants that I have found which do post nutritional info.