Options

Replies

• mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Kylandme wrote: »
    No I dont but he said soups with water will make the thyroid stop working

I'm not joking in the slightest about what I'm about to say: Just assume that almost EVERYTHING he told you about nutrition is completely wrong.

THIS!!!!! and seriously WTF???????
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    soups with water make your thyroid stop working. wow. do soups made with a tomato or milk base also make the thyroid stop working? is the water in the soup the contributing factor to a bad thyroid? What if it's chowder? what if the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars? will your inner organs all cease? I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

MFP quote of the week. This is 110% gold. OP--find a registered dietician when you have questions. Best of luck.
  • sunnybrook6905
    sunnybrook6905 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Kaylandme, I have a thyroid disorder and receive medication to treat this. My physician also does lab testing to monitor my blood work. If your physician has not performed any thyroid tests, to include TSH, then he does not know for sure where your levels are at. Your thyroid can affect the amount of calcium in your blood and you should be receiving an increase in calcium and not a decrease. As for soup, I'd stay away from commercial soups and make your own. Making soup is easy and when you make it, you can make it without any salt or very little. Vegetables, fruit, grains are good for you. If you aren't going to eat foods rich in calcium, consider a supplement if you do, in fact, have a thyroid disorder. Hope this helps you with your journey.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Paging Dr. Nick!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    soup you make yourself? awesome.

soup you buy in stores? avoid. too much sodium and all the processing kills any nutrition you would get otherwise.

Very true. What is the difference between a pot roast dinner and beef and vegetable soup? About 8 cups of water.

Serously, canned soups are not the best choices but it is the ingredients and not the fact that it is soup. Yes, they are convenient and at times can be good when you need a quick hot meal.

You need to see a Registered Dietician if you want to learn more about a good weight loss plan. Your Primary Care doctor should be able to recommend one. Another possibility, go over to the "Success Stories" section of this forum and stalk the diaries of those who have lost weight in a healthy manner. You will get many good ideas from that.

58841349.png
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist has my thyroid levels on an even keel with the medication he prescribes for me. I eat 2 or 3 fruits a day and soup whenever I feel like it. There are lower sodium soups in the stores, if sodium is an issue. I'd get a second opinion if I were you.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Soup? Really? Soup is a great way to hit macros and warm up. Stupid is stupid.

Canned soup is FINE. If you are worried about sodium, there are literally tons of low sodium options.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

soup you buy in stores? avoid. too much sodium and all the processing kills any nutrition you would get otherwise.

How does the processing "kill nutrition"? Please be specific.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options

The only thing that makes the thyroid stop working is thyroid disease.

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I double f@cking dare you to eat a soup that does not contain water!!!
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think you need a new dietician. I have thyroid disease and I'm a huge fan of soup and dairy products. Lost 40+ pounds so far...soooooo....

THIS!! I was diagnosed with thyroid disease 10 years ago. I eat soup ALL the time. I love it. Seriously LOVE. Dairy too. I lost 70 lbs and have maintained for over a year now!
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options

WHAT?????????????? OMG THIS GUY IS THE BIGGEST QUACK EVER. THROW EVERYTHING OUT HE HAS EVER GIVEN YOU AND RUN FAR FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Processing foods does not make them bad for you.

Raw/fresh fruits and vegetables contain enzymes that will eventually break the food down and allow it to rot.

Blanching those foods before freezing is a process that kills the enzymes allowing you to freeze the foods semi-whole and keeping them as close to their natural state as possible. This removes the benefit of you eating the enzyme but does nothing to reduce the nutritional value of the food.

Canning vegetables (without salt or any added ingredients) does nothing to the food other than cook it so that it lasts longer. It removes things that would cause the food to spoil and seals it in an airtight container to prevent contamination but does nothing to diminish its value. Unless you don't like them cooked.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    IF PALEO FATTY FISH HEAD CARP THYROID SOUP RECIPE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dx5o4Zulow

Extraordinarily awkward vidya.
  • stephdmash
    stephdmash Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The one thing about soup to be cautious of is the sodium content.. make it from scratch if possible!
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    200.gif
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I went to a dietician who told me not to eat soup because its not good for thyroid. Is this true? And also he saod dairy prevents the body to burn fat

I'm sure you've gotten plenty of good advice about how ridiculously stupid your dietician is but....

So much no.

Also, on the dairy front. I eat PINTS of gelato in a sitting frequently and went from 35% BF to 17% BF and lost 53 lbs doing so....calling full bs.

My advice? Get a new dietician!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

How does the processing "kill nutrition"? Please be specific.

waiting...

chaplin-waiting-gif.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP what was the original request you went to the doctor with? Help with losing weight? Do you have any medical conditions which may require you to restrict certain things (ie sodium, carbs, dairy, etc)?

LOL at soups with water making the thyroid stop working being the quote of the week. I'm not sure - we have had some doozies this week. Baking Soda is Toxic... How many calories do you burn donating platelets... etc.

Seriously someone should do a David Letterman Top 10 Quotes of the Week from MFP Forums.