Looking for people who are trying out Contrave? Thoughts? Is it working?

Options
Hello,
Yes...Its a new FDA approved diet pill. Yes..I know its not a magic pill. Have you tried it? Is it taking the "edge" off the hunger and cravings like its supposed to?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Nope rather not waste my money on magic pills. You know what else takes the edge off hunger pains. Eating lots of nutritious foods. You how you handle cravings with moderation so they never become a craving.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response, however I'm only actually looking for people who can answer the question. You've not taken this prescription. I'm looking for people who have.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes...Its a new FDA approved diet pill. Yes..I know its not a magic pill. Have you tried it? Is it taking the "edge" off the hunger and cravings like its supposed to?

if it worked there'd be no fat people...
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Thank you for your response, however I'm only actually looking for people who can answer the question. You've not taken this prescription. I'm looking for people who have.

Look I understand that weight management is hard for a lot. MFP use at 100% can get you to your goal without wasting money on magic pills. Placebo effect I call them. You do not need that crap OP. Use your money on something of better value. A medical issue makes things a little diffcult but not enough to buy magic pills.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    People just can't resist writing insults and stupid comments that have nothing to do with the question. Hopefully you get some real response to your questions. I'm curious also about Belviq so I'll watch for answers. (Have not tried either of them)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Hello,

if it worked there'd be no fat people...

Yep.

OP what happens after you finish these magical pills??

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hello, I too am aware that it is not a magic pill, but I'm seeking some confirmation bias nonetheless.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    weird...I just learned about this drug but for people with opiate and alcohol dependence (the population that I work with)....How is it supposed to help weight loss?

ETA: Sorry this doesn't answer your question. I have never taken this medication and I don't know anyone who has. I am curious to the mechanism of action..from what I read researchers can only hypothesize on why it seems to work.
  • amyniceneasy
    Options
    No they really can't. People assume that the person is an idiot who is looking for a quick fix. I'm sorry I even asked.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    People just can't resist writing insults and stupid comments that have nothing to do with the question. Hopefully you get some real response to your questions. I'm curious also about Belviq so I'll watch for answers. (Have not tried either of them)

how is my response not related to the question...? my answer wasnt 'red monkey fish'
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    hbm616 wrote: »
    weird...I just learned about this drug but for people with opiate and alcohol dependence (the population that I work with)....How is it supposed to help weight loss?

interesting. how do they work for substance dependence? (my line of work also, in the uk)
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    No they really can't. People assume that the person is an idiot who is looking for a quick fix. I'm sorry I even asked.

You asked in particular to the hunger and cravings which my answer was not to be smart but was how it helped me. Everyone here will tell you that these magic pills you want to "help" you lose is a waste of money.

• kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a theory on how it works. http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2014/07/contrave-promising-new-approach-fight-obesity.html

"The drug’s development stems from an evolving understanding of a certain type of overeating that arises from stress-triggered depression. The path to obesity may begin for some people with a stressful event the subject perceives as threatening — ranging from early life abuse to the loss of a job or a loved one. The resultant release of stress hormones interferes with the brain’s stimulus-reward circuitry. Essentially, the stress takes away one’s ability to feel pleasure. The resulting condition is referred to as “anhedonia.” one of two primary symptoms of depression.

The next step sees some anhedonia sufferers go off in search of other ways to activate their reward circuitry and feel pleasure. Most of the options remaining to them are unhealthy. Drugs and alcohol will get the job done, as can three substances that are vastly less regulated — sugar, salt and fat."
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

The drug has only been FDA approved for 2 months, so how could anyone here tell you if they've had success with the drug? It takes much longer than 2 months to know if a weight loss program is successful.

• Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've used it when my BMI was around 28 and I have diabetes, asthma and really high blood pressure. I started taking it a month or so ago and It didn't help me at all, just made me feel really sick. I started at 147lbs and i kept yo-yoing up and down that to 147-153lbs. It was meant to be a hunger suppressant so it really isn't something that works if you're the kind of person that just likes to eat our of boredom. You'll still eat like crazy just as I did. How ever it can help if you're already into counting calories.

It's honestly just like every other drug out there. I changed my GP after he gave me this garbage as I read what it actually does.. and it's NOT worth the symptoms and risks you get with it unless your 400lbs overweight.

You ONLY lose 5-10% of your excess body weight with in a year of taking it.. Along side diet and exercise... meaning if I was 100lbs over weight I'd only lose around 5-10lbs extra and still have to suffer then risks. I was only 30-40lbs overweight so pretty much I wasn't going to lose as much as someone who weighs more... Which is why I went off it, ditched the bad GP and turned to other methods of keeping full.

If you are interested in taking this though you NEED to be at least at a BMI of 30+ Or a BMI of 27+ with many medical conditions as the affects this drug has are not beneficial for those closer to goal which is why they don't prescribe it.

Personally I found drinking 1 glass of water with every meal to help me more and my new GP told me to eat more protein and good fats to keep full. I'm down to 141lbs now just from using MFP. Upping my protein worked and I'm so closer to goal now, still have 11lbs to go before I'm back to my holiday weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I recommend you try changing up your diet if you are so hungry you need the "edge" taken off. Meals and snacks should include fat, carbs and protein -- a good balance will keep you satisfied for a very long time. Good, REAL dark chocolate (I recommend Green & Blacks) and cinnamon are both natural appetite suppressants, too.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    hbm616 wrote: »

interesting. how do they work for substance dependence? (my line of work also, in the uk)

Contrave is a combination of naltrexone and wellbutrin (bupropion). Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist so it blocks the mu receptors in the brain. The wellbutrin is an antidepressant which is also used to decrease tobacco cravings so I imagine it must work for all types of cravings (alcohol, opiates and even food apparently).
  • amyniceneasy
    Options
    Its supposed to help suppress appetite and cravings. I'm fully aware of how, what, how much I'm supposed to eat. I was hoping to find out of it helped anyone with those issues because I'm miserable. I would just like to be one of those people who eat to live instead of living to eat. I'm 40 and 5'2". I have an appetite and love of food that doesn't gel very well with the calorie needs of a person that size.
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »

The drug has only been FDA approved for 2 months, so how could anyone here tell you if they've had success with the drug? It takes much longer than 2 months to know if a weight loss program is successful.

I was on it for almost 3 weeks. Started in October. Some people may have been part of the trails also.

• TavistockToad
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Its supposed to help suppress appetite and cravings. I'm fully aware of how, what, how much I'm supposed to eat. I was hoping to find out of it helped anyone with those issues because I'm miserable. I would just like to be one of those people who eat to live instead of living to eat. I'm 40 and 5'2". I have an appetite and love of food that doesn't gel very well with the calorie needs of a person that size.

your ticker says you have 16lbs left to lose?