Paleo vs Eatting clean?

Options
I was just reading up on the Paleo diet haven't committed to anything yet still weighing my options. But reading it, it seems similar to eating clean, is it just a fancy name for the same thing? Has anyone had success using this diet

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This should end well. Might as well pull up a chair.
    ERoBFTM.gif
  • PinkyQT
    PinkyQT Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Paleo is stupid. Why would you want to eat like a caveman?
    They didn't live long and they were stupid.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    What do you mean when you ask if people have had "success"?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    PinkyQT wrote: »
    Paleo is stupid. Why would you want to eat like a caveman?
    They didn't live long and they were stupid.

But back then, it was status quo, and the cool cavemen ate Jurassic Diet while the rest ate processed mammoth meat from Costco
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll bite. I haven't been in the general forums lately! :) I see it as pretty much the same thing. Nothing processed. Paleo is very "clean" eating. As for success...I didn't really have weight to lose, but 12 pounds lost and they've been lost for over a year...relief from digestive issues, flat tummy, more energy. And I never realized how much food I could eat when I wasn't including grains and dairy. It works for me, may not be for everyone.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Eating clean is a *kitten*, and mildly derogatory term dubbed to make money
    Paleo is a diet plan based off fallacies of what paleolithic people ate in order to make money

They are just labels for people who like labels to feel better about themselves or other people.

Paleo is more accepted term over "clean eating" but Still has too many opinions on what the actually *&%^ it is. Too many people claim to be Paleo or Clean 80% of the time.....whatever that means.

All diets are successful if....I repeat IF you eat at a caloric deficit. You just need to find the best foods to do that for you.

Everyone has a preference to which plan they follow.
    I just eat food. Watch my calories, eat enough protein and fat.
    And i exercise using both cardio and resistance training.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    But as far as the silly, ill-defined claims that each represent?

If you want to do low-carb, go for it. Many people have great success with it. It can be a method of controlling your calories. But it's not some magic pill which will allow you to overeat and still lose weight, and if you plan to reintroduce carbs into your diet in the future, you're still going to have to learn how to eat them in moderation, so you can do that now, or later. Or just never eat bread or potatoes again. But please don't buy into the whole Paleo cult.

Same for "clean eating." It's extremely wide open as to what that entails, as the rules change depending on who you ask. Unproccessed (which means nothing at all from a can or bottle, box or bag?) without things you can't pronounce (I can pronounce almost anything, and fruits/vegetables contain compounds that are remarkably similar to those things most people can't pronounce) or more than 5 ingredients (which I guess leaves out most of my homemade dishes with fresh ingredients, as I use way more than 5 ingredients, even if most of them are veggies and herbs/spices.)

Still, you do you. Try a few things and see what works best in taking the weight off and keeping you sane at the same time. Find something that will stick, that is sustainable, a new way of life instead of a temporary "diet."

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    My co workers are big paleo diet eaters. Who eats a burger with no bread. They do.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    My co workers are big paleo diet eaters. Who eats a burger with no bread. They do.

Ask them how cavemen ground up the meat
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

I dare you to say that to someone whose life has literally been saved/turned around by eating a "clean" diet.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Ask them how cavemen ground up the meat

Also, ask them how long it took to hunt down the cow.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I was just reading up on the Paleo diet haven't committed to anything yet still weighing my options. But reading it, it seems similar to eating clean, is it just a fancy name for the same thing? Has anyone had success using this diet

Okay-doke.

Whether they are similar or not depends on how you define "clean," as there is no actual definition that has anything to do with nutrition. Some people define "clean" to mean "consistent with "paleo," and for those people they are of course the same. Which further causes one to wonder why "clean" is a necessary term at all, except if you want to be insulting, of course.

On the other hand, many people will argue that "clean" foods are those from the "perimeter" of the grocery or are "less processed" (because none of it is really "non-processed," sorry) or have fewer than 5 ingredients or some such. For those people, there are some major differences, of which the following seem significant to me:

(1) All grains, including whole grains, and usually even including seeds like quinoa are not part of the paleo diet. Many "clean" eaters think some or all of these are okay.

(2) All dairy (or all dairy but grass fed butter or some such) is banned by the paleo diet. Again, under many of the definitions of "clean" (none of which are consistent), dairy is or should be fine.

(3) All legumes are excluded by the paleo diet. Not only is there no reason I can think of why these would not be considered "clean" (again, a ridiculous term for a discussion of diet), but certain factions of the "clean" eating crew--specifically the vegetarian leaning ones--are probably quite pro legumes.

(4) The Whole30 (which is sometimes used as a primer for paleo) bans potatoes. Again, potatoes should be fine with "clean" eating (although again, who knows), although to be honest I've never heard any good reason for banning the honest potato from paleo type diets either. (I know better than to demand consistency, though.)

(5) Many "paleo" types are extremely creative with the "paleo treats" and the baked goods with almond flour and coconut oil and so on. If one actually cared about the ideology behind "clean" eating, these should be considered just as processed as the other things banned (non homemade almond milk is extremely processed and the oft-lauded calcium is fortified, for example).
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I dare you to say that to someone whose life has literally been saved/turned around by eating a "clean" diet.

OK no problem. Their life was not "saved" by a "clean" diet becasue "clean" doesnt mean Jack $%#$. They lost weight because they had a calorie deficit. They life may have been "saved" by losing weight but not because they ate some mythically "clean food".

Food is food. Get over it. No food is superior to other food is food for #*$& sake.

Also since everyone defines "clean" differently it is really a useless term
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »

OK no problem. Their life was not "saved" by a "clean" diet becasue "clean" doesnt mean Jack $%#$. They lost weight because they had a calorie deficit. They life may have been "saved" by losing weight but not because they ate some mythically "clean food".

Food is food. Get over it. No food is superior to other food is food for #*$& sake.

Also since everyone defines "clean" differently it is really a useless term

Not to mention that FFF has personal health issues that require she eat a certain way. I'm sure from her perspective her life was saved when she eliminated some foods, but she's an outlier.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I think that there's a big difference between choosing to eat or avoid foods that aggravate someone's health problems and eating a "clean" diet for weight loss.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Is the name "clean" an essential part of the life saving? I don't think any of the comments here have been about the way of eating itself (which of course varies depending on the person).
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a diet plan based off fallacies of what paleolithic people ate in order to make money

They are just labels for people who like labels to feel better about themselves or other people.

I would counter that food not generally labled as "clean" - thinking fast food, highly processed boxed and canned food - make some people an awful lot more money than the clean camp. Food chains and medical bills come to mind....

Just saying.

OP - the general forums are a great place for bashing labels. To each their own. Find what makes you feel best. There are groups for paleo, primal, keto, whatever you might be interested in. They're a lot friendlier.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most cavemen were vegan. Lacto-ovo at least. I dunno. YMMV.

NO. They were flexitarians. Duh.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most cavemen were vegan. Lacto-ovo at least. I dunno. YMMV.

I thought they were flexitarians.... wait. ominvores.