Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Unless you have a defined medical condition, like Crohn's or epilepsy or IBS (to a degree) or a very few other conditions, eating clean is meaningless and has no discernable fat loss or health benefits over a wider diet where foods are consumed in moderation.

Really?

I'm pretty sure its healthier to eat home prepared meals each day than mass produced microwavable ready meals!

I'm pretty sure If you did eat mass produced ready meals each day, your levels of inflammation and oxidation would be higher than if you ate home prepared food.

My reasoning behind this is you would definitely be eating increased amounts of Man made transfats, Interesterified Fats and polyunsaturated fats.

polyunsaturated fats are good for you.

Are they? it's a fat that goes rancid easily and is not stable at high temperatures! I think in the eighties it was lorded as a safe replacement to saturated fat.

That's back in the day when science and nutritional understanding was still pretty primitive. Science has now caught up (well catching) and guess what, that's right, turns out it was saturated fat that's was good for us and not the other way round..... who would have guessed!

In fact polyunsaturated is good to a degree - well only omega 3!

That's your premise for healthy or not? something that goes rancid easily and is not stable at higher temperatures?

Well in that case- I'm going to stop eating oranges and chicken.

1.) my orange I only consumed 2 slices of started molding within 2 days of cutting.
    and
    2.) my chicken breast exploded out of the microwave when I heated it up.

looks like my list of dietary restrictions just got more specific.
    :(
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Unless you have a defined medical condition, like Crohn's or epilepsy or IBS (to a degree) or a very few other conditions, eating clean is meaningless and has no discernable fat loss or health benefits over a wider diet where foods are consumed in moderation.

Really?

I'm pretty sure its healthier to eat home prepared meals each day than mass produced microwavable ready meals!

I'm pretty sure If you did eat mass produced ready meals each day, your levels of inflammation and oxidation would be higher than if you ate home prepared food.

My reasoning behind this is you would definitely be eating increased amounts of Man made transfats, Interesterified Fats and polyunsaturated fats.

Because everyone who eats mass produced ready meals, eats them all day every day.
    no one could possibly eat these in moderation.

A lot of people eat on a budget and whats the cheapest food - commercially mass produced multi-ingredient food.

And because of how the law works, companies are allowed to include 0.5g per 100g of trans fats and still label their products trans fat free!

Now I'd have to double check but I think the WHO recommend consuming not more than about 2 - 3 grams a day of trans fats - not sure about you but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people eating more than that daily and not realizing it.

I doubt they will drop dead in the street tomorrow, but they may drop dead a few years sooner than they may of.

But at the end of the day no-ones asking you to eat a certain way - your an adult and have the ability to make that choice yourself!

Would the problem here be that they don't eat clean or that they're consuming too many trans fats? As others have pointed out, there's a whole world of food types between "clean" and those laden with undisclosed trans fats. It's possible to cook at home and not eat clean. It's possible to avoid all trans fats (even the undisclosed ones) and still not eat clean. You seem to be shifting the goal posts on this conversation just a bit.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Really?

Are they? it's a fat that goes rancid easily and is not stable at high temperatures! I think in the eighties it was lorded as a safe replacement to saturated fat.

That's back in the day when science and nutritional understanding was still pretty primitive. Science has now caught up (well catching) and guess what, that's right, turns out it was saturated fat that's was good for us and not the other way round..... who would have guessed!

That's your premise for healthy or not? something that goes rancid easily and is not stable at higher temperatures?

1.) my orange I only consumed 2 slices of started molding within 2 days of cutting.
    and

Did you eat your orange when it was moldy? - or did you chuck the moldy bit away!!

I'll be honest I've already dropped moldy orange from my diet!

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Really?

Holy cow! So apparently I can chop up the potatoes I grew myself, throw them in a big vat of lard which I rendered myself, and cook up a mess of healthy french fries and it's so much better for me than the Kashi frozen meal that I passed up at the grocery store because it's "unclean."
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

So prove it. 'Pretty sure' doesn't cut it.

Also note the phrase 'in moderation'. I wouldn't recommend living on ready meals exclusively, but one or so a day isn't going to harm you.

No, but how untypical a day would it be to say have:

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Microwavable lunch of description
    Bag of crisps
    For dinner Chicken and a pre-made jar of sauce. Maybe some coated (seasoned) frozen potatoes.

I think that's not an untypical kind of day for a lot of people - Most of those things are mass produced.

Although I sure the companies producing them use only the finest ingredients and to hell with the profit margins!

Can you honestly say you do not 'personally' know anyone that barely eats a bit of fruit or veg! I know loads.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Really?

Also note the phrase 'in moderation'. I wouldn't recommend living on ready meals exclusively, but one or so a day isn't going to harm you.

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps
    For dinner Chicken and a pre-made jar of sauce. Maybe some coated (seasoned) frozen potatoes.

I think that's not an untypical kind of day for a lot of people - Most of those things are mass produced.

Although I sure the companies producing them use only the finest ingredients and to hell with the profit margins!

Can you honestly say you do not 'personally' know anyone that barely eats a bit of fruit or veg! I know loads.

So would you call that a problem?
  • diannethegeek
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

This was the original statement in the quote string that started all of this:

You've gone from a discussion of clean eating vs. a wide diet with all foods in moderation to a discussion comparing clean eating vs. only packaged/fast food and almost no veggies. You're shifting the goal posts wildly.

• yopeeps025
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

You've gone from a discussion of clean eating vs. a wide diet with all foods in moderation to a discussion comparing clean eating vs. only packaged/fast food and almost no veggies. You're shifting the goal posts wildly.

Straw man argument.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

It's his MO
  • diannethegeek
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

In what way have I created a straw man?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

My bad
    This guy @tennisdude2004 did.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Really?

and

Did you eat your orange when it was moldy? - or did you chuck the moldy bit away!!

I'll be honest I've already dropped moldy orange from my diet!
    Your premise was food that goes rancid quickly is unhealthy. Well- guess what my orange went rancid quickly- which by your argument means it's unhealthy.

Secondly- to your other argument- my BF barely eats anything green- and mostly eats "homemade food" primarily because all he its is bread- hummus eggs and steak- or chicken tenders.

but he doesn't buy pre-made food- some how that makes him superior b/c it's home made?

you can eat like crap and have a bad macro split- and/or also not be at a deficit- clean does not mean you can meet your goals- clean means people don't ultimately understand how to achieve their goals- because it's quiet evident that you can eat "clean" and still grossly miss the mark in terms of overall health and wellness.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

I don't believe that is aimed at you
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

So would you call that a problem?

Personally yes, i think that fact that fresh produce is not consumed by more people is a problem - granted it's their problem not mine.

I was just pointing out that a lot of people will eat cheaper alternatives for their food and that those cheaper alternatives are mass produced and contain fats which are not healthy.

It's just my observation. If you've observed something different the great!

• tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

How is my post straw man? I was answering the post about eating a wide diet in moderation was unhealtier than eating a 'clean diet'.

If a lot of the items on your wider diet (like SAD) are mass produced (multi-ingredient) and you eat each of them in moderation, a majority of your food is still mass produced!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

It's his MO

Cool I have an MO!! Cheers!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Extremely untypical for numerous people who aren't "clean eaters."

The majority of people I know don't go on about "eating clean" or define themselves that way. And yet the majority of people I know eat fruits and veggies. (My general circle may not be typical, who knows.)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Really?

Thats a very big assumption.

Also, what is bad about interesterified or polyunsaturated fats?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

How is my post straw man? I was answering the post about eating a wide diet in moderation was unhealtier than eating a 'clean diet'.

If a lot of the items on your wider diet (like SAD) are mass produced (multi-ingredient) and you eat each of them in moderation, a majority of your food is still mass produced!

And again, I can go out to the garden and pick some things that I can cook in freshly rendered lard and make a meal with far less nutrition than a Kashi frozen dinner. So what?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    PinkyQT wrote: »
    Paleo is stupid. Why would you want to eat like a caveman?
    They didn't live long and they were stupid.

But back then, it was status quo, and the cool cavemen ate Jurassic Diet while the rest ate processed mammoth meat from Costco

Wrong. Cavemen went to Sam's Club. Duh.

Wrong, cavemen 'used' Sam's club; drug the food in to a cave and ate it. Hurr Durr ;)