Paleo vs Eatting clean?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Eating clean is a *kitten*, and mildly derogatory term dubbed to make money

I dare you to say that to someone whose life has literally been saved/turned around by eating a "clean" diet.

Never met one of those people
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most cavemen were vegan. Lacto-ovo at least. I dunno. YMMV.

I thought they were flexitarians.... wait. ominvores.

Jinx!!! You owe me peanut butter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I dare you to say that to someone whose life has literally been saved/turned around by eating a "clean" diet.

Define it...I'm sure your definition of "clean" will just be one of about a gazillion.

Personally, I just eat a well balanced and varied diet that happens to be rich in whole foods...but I'm not afraid of grains and legumes and I don't consider having a can of this or that to be "unclean."

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

We should set a date. Herm.

Actually I need to start working out again- THEN set a date LMAO. what are you doing this weekend? It's going to be decent- I can go for a run and not feel so bad LULZ
  • PRMinx
    Options

Actually I need to start working out again- THEN set a date LMAO. what are you doing this weekend? It's going to be decent- I can go for a run and not feel so bad LULZ

LOL. Eating peanut butter of course!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    kikih64 wrote: »
    Paleo is a diet plan based off fallacies of what paleolithic people ate in order to make money

They are just labels for people who like labels to feel better about themselves or other people.

I would counter that food not generally labled as "clean" - thinking fast food, highly processed boxed and canned food - make some people an awful lot more money than the clean camp. Food chains and medical bills come to mind....

Just saying.

OP - the general forums are a great place for bashing labels. To each their own. Find what makes you feel best. There are groups for paleo, primal, keto, whatever you might be interested in. They're a lot friendlier.

Fast food is generally cheaper than then the organic foods "clean" eaters claim they eat.
    Why would non "clean" eaters have higher medical bills?

By calling YOUR diet clean, you are somehow saying my diet is Unclean or filthy.

Do i eat fast food? yes I do
    Is it common place? maybe once a month, sometimes more
    Do I eat "clean"? depends on whose definition you are going with but most of the time I eat "clean" or "paleo" or whatever other label you want to call it.

I tend to say I eat food.

I stand by the fact "clean eating" is a *kitten*, mildly derogatory label.
  • JoRocka
    edited November 2014
    Options

I feel like Sunday's a good day. what say you to Sunday the 23rd?? Perhaps we should open a thread up in the Food Forum- or just leave it to the gainers??? You opened it here- which means we cross pollinated- I'm game either way- the more the merrier. Although- I think it should be a separate function of PB and Nutella- one doesn't count for the other.
  • PRMinx
    Options

I feel like Sunday's a good day. what say you to Sunday the 23rd?? Perhaps we should open a thread up in the Food Forum- or just leave it to the gainers???

I stand by the notion that you can lose weight and still eat peanut butter...so, peanut butter for the masses!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Peanut butter for the masses it is.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Does anyone not eat veggies at all?
  • ArleneMobley
    ArleneMobley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    soldiergrl_101, I can't say I know the difference between the two. But I eliminated packaged foods, added lots of fruits/veggies, drank protein shakes (made w/almond milk) and lots of water. Added Quinoa for extra protein. I did this 3 months, lost 35 lbs. and my health was much better. I am no longer taking prescriptions for acid reflux and didn't have to start on medicine to lower my blood pressure. What I did wrong, was to slowly go back to the old habits and gained back part of the weight. Now, the arthritis has flared back up, so I am going back to clean eating! Hope this helps!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

I think that there's a big difference between choosing to eat or avoid foods that aggravate someone's health problems and eating a "clean" diet for weight loss.
    So much this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

There are a surprising number of posts on MFP from people who claim to be unable to eat them. I've even seen posts from people who claim to "eat clean" who don't eat them. They seem to think that not eating bread or some such makes a diet healthy, even if it's vegetable-free.

Not my business, but I hope they at least take a multi.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    soldiergrl_101, I can't say I know the difference between the two. But I eliminated packaged foods, added lots of fruits/veggies, drank protein shakes (made w/almond milk) and lots of water. Added Quinoa for extra protein. I did this 3 months, lost 35 lbs. and my health was much better. I am no longer taking prescriptions for acid reflux and didn't have to start on medicine to lower my blood pressure. What I did wrong, was to slowly go back to the old habits and gained back part of the weight. Now, the arthritis has flared back up, so I am going back to clean eating! Hope this helps!

You make your own almond milk? And protein powder?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I doubt it....they probably just fit into her definition of "clean eating"
    So many different definitions
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was just reading up on the Paleo diet haven't committed to anything yet still weighing my options. But reading it, it seems similar to eating clean, is it just a fancy name for the same thing? Has anyone had success using this diet

This thread will most likely end badly, so here is the best advice I can give you before it all goes up in smoke:

1. Figure out what you are trying to accomplish with your lifestyle change -- weight loss? better health? just eating what you consider to be healthier food? All of the above?

2. Determine what kind of changes you are/ are not willing to make. I recommend making decisions based on what you are willing to do for the rest of your life. It is notoriously difficult to maintain weight loss when you make extreme dietary changes to lose weight and then try to go back to eating "normally."

3. Just eat to accomplish whatever you decided in steps 1 and 2. Don't worry about what you're calling it or whether you are following guidelines in some book or whatever. If you think you need to cut back your carbs, do that. If you feel like you need more protein, do that. If you just want to eat less stuff out of a can or a box and lose some weight, do that on a calorie deficit. Don't get wrapped up in all these definitions.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

There are a surprising number of posts on MFP from people who claim to be unable to eat them. I've even seen posts from people who claim to "eat clean" who don't eat them. They seem to think that not eating bread or some such makes a diet healthy, even if it's vegetable-free.

Notice how you see anti meat groups. Do you see any anti veggies groups?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

What YOU don't tell people is that you have a medical issues and that is a different story.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I doubt it....they probably just fit into her definition of "clean eating"
    So many different definitions

"Eliminated packaged foods" really leaves no room for interpretation. I'm just keepin' it real
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Notice how you see anti meat groups. Do you see any anti veggies groups?

Hmm. I love veggies, but this seems a possible marketing/trend diet bonanza.

Also, in theory, isn't "paleo" supposed to be against the products of agriculture, which would be the vast majority of the veggies eaten today.