Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Unless you have a defined medical condition, like Crohn's or epilepsy or IBS (to a degree) or a very few other conditions, eating clean is meaningless and has no discernable fat loss or health benefits over a wider diet where foods are consumed in moderation.

Really?

I'm pretty sure its healthier to eat home prepared meals each day than mass produced microwavable ready meals!

I'm pretty sure If you did eat mass produced ready meals each day, your levels of inflammation and oxidation would be higher than if you ate home prepared food.

My reasoning behind this is you would definitely be eating increased amounts of Man made transfats, Interesterified Fats and polyunsaturated fats.

So prove it. 'Pretty sure' doesn't cut it.

Also note the phrase 'in moderation'. I wouldn't recommend living on ready meals exclusively, but one or so a day isn't going to harm you.

No, but how untypical a day would it be to say have:

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Microwavable lunch of description
    Bag of crisps
    For dinner Chicken and a pre-made jar of sauce. Maybe some coated (seasoned) frozen potatoes.

Extremely untypical for numerous people who aren't "clean eaters."
    Can you honestly say you do not 'personally' know anyone that barely eats a bit of fruit or veg! I know loads.

The majority of people I know don't go on about "eating clean" or define themselves that way. And yet the majority of people I know eat fruits and veggies. (My general circle may not be typical, who knows.)

Outside of MFP I don't think I've ever heard one person mention clean eating! I don't consider myself a clean eater, but I love the fact that there are people passionate about it.

So everyone yon know eats plenty of fruit and veg - good for you and all the people you know.

I've clearly met different people.

Ca you define (in percentage terms) 'numerous people?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Unless you have a defined medical condition, like Crohn's or epilepsy or IBS (to a degree) or a very few other conditions, eating clean is meaningless and has no discernable fat loss or health benefits over a wider diet where foods are consumed in moderation.

Really?

I'm pretty sure its healthier to eat home prepared meals each day than mass produced microwavable ready meals!

I'm pretty sure If you did eat mass produced ready meals each day, your levels of inflammation and oxidation would be higher than if you ate home prepared food.

My reasoning behind this is you would definitely be eating increased amounts of Man made transfats, Interesterified Fats and polyunsaturated fats.

Also note the phrase 'in moderation'. I wouldn't recommend living on ready meals exclusively, but one or so a day isn't going to harm you.

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps
    For dinner Chicken and a pre-made jar of sauce. Maybe some coated (seasoned) frozen potatoes.

I think that's not an untypical kind of day for a lot of people - Most of those things are mass produced.

Although I sure the companies producing them use only the finest ingredients and to hell with the profit margins!

Can you honestly say you do not 'personally' know anyone that barely eats a bit of fruit or veg! I know loads.

This was the original statement in the quote string that started all of this:

You've gone from a discussion of clean eating vs. a wide diet with all foods in moderation to a discussion comparing clean eating vs. only packaged/fast food and almost no veggies. You're shifting the goal posts wildly.

Straw man argument.

How is my post straw man? I was answering the post about eating a wide diet in moderation was unhealtier than eating a 'clean diet'.

If a lot of the items on your wider diet (like SAD) are mass produced (multi-ingredient) and you eat each of them in moderation, a majority of your food is still mass produced!

why did you put mass produced next to multi-ingredient?????

mass produced and one ingredient
    the incredible edible egg
    http://www.uspoultry.org/economic_data/
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Really?

Thats a very big assumption.

Also, what is bad about interesterified or polyunsaturated fats?

I've commented on that above!!!

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

I think that's not an untypical kind of day for a lot of people - Most of those things are mass produced.

Although I sure the companies producing them use only the finest ingredients and to hell with the profit margins!

Funny thing is that it's I highly doubt any "dirty eater" (myself included) eats like this. It's a BS false dichotomy - you either label yourself a clean eater (whatever that is) or you eat 100% processed food, every day, for your entire life.

Now a clean eater (whatever that means), eats the evil processed foods but rationalizes it every step of the way. Talk about swallowing a camel but choking on a gnat!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I have some lovely frozen veggies which contain nothing but frozen veggies and have multiple ingredients. They're even organic. Too bad they're not clean.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

The majority of people I know don't go on about "eating clean" or define themselves that way. And yet the majority of people I know eat fruits and veggies. (My general circle may not be typical, who knows.)

Outside of MFP I don't think I've ever heard one person mention clean eating! I don't consider myself a clean eater, but I love the fact that there are people passionate about it.

So everyone yon know eats plenty of fruit and veg - good for you and all the people you know.

Really?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

You've gone from a discussion of clean eating vs. a wide diet with all foods in moderation to a discussion comparing clean eating vs. only packaged/fast food and almost no veggies. You're shifting the goal posts wildly.

Straw man argument.

How is my post straw man? I was answering the post about eating a wide diet in moderation was unhealtier than eating a 'clean diet'.

If a lot of the items on your wider diet (like SAD) are mass produced (multi-ingredient) and you eat each of them in moderation, a majority of your food is still mass produced!

And again, I can go out to the garden and pick some things that I can cook in freshly rendered lard and make a meal with far less nutrition than a Kashi frozen dinner. So what?

I would recommend cooking in freshly rendered lard its very good for you - packed full of saturated fat!

I suppose those if you cooked your Kashi dinner yourself from fresh ingredients and in saturated fats instead of polyunsaturated or trans fats, your home prepared meal would top the health scale.

• tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Funny thing is that it's I highly doubt any "dirty eater" (myself included) eats like this. It's a BS false dichotomy - you either label yourself a clean eater (whatever that is) or you eat 100% processed food, every day, for your entire life.

Now a clean eater (whatever that means), eats the evil processed foods but rationalizes it every step of the way. Talk about swallowing a camel but choking on a gnat!

There are a lot of people eating on a budget that eat a whole lot worse than that. If you do not move in those circles then good for you!

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

There are a lot of people eating on a budget that eat a whole lot worse than that. If you do not move in those circles then good for you!

Ok, and there are a lot that don't. What's your point?
  • tennisdude2004
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

why did you put mass produced next to multi-ingredient?????

mass produced and one ingredient
    the incredible edible egg
    http://www.uspoultry.org/economic_data/

I put multi ingredient next to mass produced so people didn't say stuff like - Yeah but what about eggs and apples - their healthy and mass produced.

Although I doubt anyone would be that obvious. ;)

Maybe I've been around these forums too long. Although it is good to tussle with the trolls, from time to time! lol
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Really?

polyunsaturated fats are good for you.

Are they? it's a fat that goes rancid easily and is not stable at high temperatures! I think in the eighties it was lorded as a safe replacement to saturated fat.

That's back in the day when science and nutritional understanding was still pretty primitive. Science has now caught up (well catching) and guess what, that's right, turns out it was saturated fat that's was good for us and not the other way round..... who would have guessed!

In fact polyunsaturated is good to a degree - well only omega 3!

That's your premise for healthy or not? something that goes rancid easily and is not stable at higher temperatures?

Well in that case- I'm going to stop eating oranges and chicken.

1.) my orange I only consumed 2 slices of started molding within 2 days of cutting.
    and
    2.) my chicken breast exploded out of the microwave when I heated it up.

looks like my list of dietary restrictions just got more specific.
    :(

The finer point that you are missing is that the polyunsaturated fats that many food products are made with go rancid on the shelf. They don't taste so bad that you won't eat them but it's no longer a very good food. If you cook with polyunsaturated at high heat, it can form harmful compounds.

I seriously doubt that polyunsaturated oils are as evil as the current Paleo wisdom would want you to think. The bigger problem is that finding some really fresh oils might be difficult.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

And again, I can go out to the garden and pick some things that I can cook in freshly rendered lard and make a meal with far less nutrition than a Kashi frozen dinner. So what?

I would recommend cooking in freshly rendered lard its very good for you - packed full of saturated fat!

I suppose those if you cooked your Kashi dinner yourself from fresh ingredients and in saturated fats instead of polyunsaturated or trans fats, your home prepared meal would top the health scale.

What exactly do you have against processed food? And how exactly do you define processed in this instance? Kashi meals are pretty healthy. Frozen veggies are very healthy. Even if they have more than 5 different vegetables.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

It is a trendy, meaningless, derogatory term that I frequently see in other (non weightloss/nutrition) forums I am a member of. I also occasionally hear people mention in in conversations at restaurants and at my fitness center.

• georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have a client that has been Paleo for years. I don't agree with the way she eats but it works for her. She works out 3-4 hours a day, runs marathons and competes in body sculpture competitions.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

What exactly do you have against processed food? And how exactly do you define processed in this instance? Kashi meals are pretty healthy. Frozen veggies are very healthy. Even if they have more than 5 different vegetables.

I've got nothing against processed food - I eat processed food.

Just because I am saying home cooked over processed means that I am advising people to avoid processed.

I am pointing out that processed does contain unhealthy fats, but eaten in moderation that's fine.

But for a lot of people (and I doubt those people frequent MFP) they do not have a diet moderate in processed food. They have diets of a wide variety of processed food.

The question should be, what do you have against home cooked food?

* multi ingrdient process food (not eggs or apples)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Really?

polyunsaturated fats are good for you.

Are they? it's a fat that goes rancid easily and is not stable at high temperatures! I think in the eighties it was lorded as a safe replacement to saturated fat.

That's back in the day when science and nutritional understanding was still pretty primitive. Science has now caught up (well catching) and guess what, that's right, turns out it was saturated fat that's was good for us and not the other way round..... who would have guessed!

In fact polyunsaturated is good to a degree - well only omega 3!

That's your premise for healthy or not? something that goes rancid easily and is not stable at higher temperatures?

Well in that case- I'm going to stop eating oranges and chicken.

1.) my orange I only consumed 2 slices of started molding within 2 days of cutting.
    and
    2.) my chicken breast exploded out of the microwave when I heated it up.

looks like my list of dietary restrictions just got more specific.
    :(

Did you eat your orange when it was moldy? - or did you chuck the moldy bit away!!

I'll be honest I've already dropped moldy orange from my diet!

That logic does not even follow the example.

Edited to fix effed up quotes.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited November 2014
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

My point is there is a lot that are!!!

And a diet of home cooked food is healthier - what the big deal with that. If you don't eat that type of 'budget diet' then you're not eating unhealthier!

But and I'll say it again a lot of people are!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

I said "the majority" not "all the people I know."

None of the people I know closely enough to know their eating habits eat a thing like your meal plan above, though.

For what it's worth I know a lot of people who are parents (and concerned about having family meals and all that) or otherwise health and fitness conscious. (Yes, people can be concerned about health and nutrition and not call themselves "clean eaters," go figure.) And those I know who don't fit in either of those categories tend to be a little bit on the food snob side (that is, they go out to eat a lot, but places where the food tends to be good quality and vegetables are part of the meal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

My point is there is a lot that are!!!

And a diet of home cooked food is healthier - what the big deal with that. If you don't eat that type of 'budget diet' then you're not eating unhealthier!

But and I'll say it again a lot of people are!

So I agree with you that a diet consisting of 100% whole foods is definitely healthier than a diet of 100% processed multi-ingredient packaged foods, but where the disagreement comes in for me is that a 100% whole food diet that hits all the macros/micros is not even a little bit more healthy than a mostly whole food diet with some bad *kitten* sprinkled in, but still hits the appropriate macros and micros.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Really?

Thats a very big assumption.

Also, what is bad about interesterified or polyunsaturated fats?

I've commented on that above!!!

Where do you explain how interesterified or polyunsaturated fats are bad?

Edited to fix double quotes...again.