Options

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Unless you have a defined medical condition, like Crohn's or epilepsy or IBS (to a degree) or a very few other conditions, eating clean is meaningless and has no discernable fat loss or health benefits over a wider diet where foods are consumed in moderation.

Really?

I'm pretty sure its healthier to eat home prepared meals each day than mass produced microwavable ready meals!

I'm pretty sure If you did eat mass produced ready meals each day, your levels of inflammation and oxidation would be higher than if you ate home prepared food.

My reasoning behind this is you would definitely be eating increased amounts of Man made transfats, Interesterified Fats and polyunsaturated fats.

So prove it. 'Pretty sure' doesn't cut it.

Also note the phrase 'in moderation'. I wouldn't recommend living on ready meals exclusively, but one or so a day isn't going to harm you.

No, but how untypical a day would it be to say have:

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Microwavable lunch of description
    Bag of crisps
    For dinner Chicken and a pre-made jar of sauce. Maybe some coated (seasoned) frozen potatoes.

Extremely untypical for numerous people who aren't "clean eaters."
    Can you honestly say you do not 'personally' know anyone that barely eats a bit of fruit or veg! I know loads.

The majority of people I know don't go on about "eating clean" or define themselves that way. And yet the majority of people I know eat fruits and veggies. (My general circle may not be typical, who knows.)

Outside of MFP I don't think I've ever heard one person mention clean eating! I don't consider myself a clean eater, but I love the fact that there are people passionate about it.

So everyone yon know eats plenty of fruit and veg - good for you and all the people you know.

I've clearly met different people.

Ca you define (in percentage terms) 'numerous people?

I haven't heard clean eating irl or flexitarian. I know people that diet but they are usually the more commercial ones.

I don't eat a lot of veggies. I have to make a conscious effort to add them to meals. I am probably more like the people you have met. I have some health issues but they are related to genetics more than diet. My meals don't look like you described-that seems pretty extreme.

• watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just eat whatever you want in moderation. Or eat only food that is grown in the ground or runs around on four legs. Either way you will get results if you do it right.

I try to eat pretty well, that's why for breakfast I had choc rush cereal, hand picked from the very rare rush tree of south-east Asia.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Unless you have a defined medical condition, like Crohn's or epilepsy or IBS (to a degree) or a very few other conditions, eating clean is meaningless and has no discernable fat loss or health benefits over a wider diet where foods are consumed in moderation.

Really?

I'm pretty sure its healthier to eat home prepared meals each day than mass produced microwavable ready meals!

I'm pretty sure If you did eat mass produced ready meals each day, your levels of inflammation and oxidation would be higher than if you ate home prepared food.

My reasoning behind this is you would definitely be eating increased amounts of Man made transfats, Interesterified Fats and polyunsaturated fats.

Also note the phrase 'in moderation'. I wouldn't recommend living on ready meals exclusively, but one or so a day isn't going to harm you.

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps
    For dinner Chicken and a pre-made jar of sauce. Maybe some coated (seasoned) frozen potatoes.

I think that's not an untypical kind of day for a lot of people - Most of those things are mass produced.

Although I sure the companies producing them use only the finest ingredients and to hell with the profit margins!

Can you honestly say you do not 'personally' know anyone that barely eats a bit of fruit or veg! I know loads.

This was the original statement in the quote string that started all of this:

You've gone from a discussion of clean eating vs. a wide diet with all foods in moderation to a discussion comparing clean eating vs. only packaged/fast food and almost no veggies. You're shifting the goal posts wildly.

Straw man argument.

How is my post straw man? I was answering the post about eating a wide diet in moderation was unhealtier than eating a 'clean diet'.

If a lot of the items on your wider diet (like SAD) are mass produced (multi-ingredient) and you eat each of them in moderation, a majority of your food is still mass produced!

why did you put mass produced next to multi-ingredient?????

mass produced and one ingredient
    the incredible edible egg
    http://www.uspoultry.org/economic_data/

I put multi ingredient next to mass produced so people didn't say stuff like - Yeah but what about eggs and apples - their healthy and mass produced.

Although I doubt anyone would be that obvious. ;)

Maybe I've been around these forums too long. Although it is good to tussle with the trolls, from time to time! lol

*yawn* troll comment again.

Funny how everyone else is a troll, but I assume that you do not think you are.

I would recommend looking up the definition of troll.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

I think that's not an untypical kind of day for a lot of people - Most of those things are mass produced.

Although I sure the companies producing them use only the finest ingredients and to hell with the profit margins!

You've gone from a discussion of clean eating vs. a wide diet with all foods in moderation to a discussion comparing clean eating vs. only packaged/fast food and almost no veggies. You're shifting the goal posts wildly.

Straw man argument.

How is my post straw man? I was answering the post about eating a wide diet in moderation was unhealtier than eating a 'clean diet'.

If a lot of the items on your wider diet (like SAD) are mass produced (multi-ingredient) and you eat each of them in moderation, a majority of your food is still mass produced!

I put multi ingredient next to mass produced so people didn't say stuff like - Yeah but what about eggs and apples - their healthy and mass produced.

Maybe I've been around these forums too long. Although it is good to tussle with the trolls, from time to time! lol

Well I'm not the one hijacking a thread!

• tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Extremely untypical for numerous people who aren't "clean eaters."

The majority of people I know don't go on about "eating clean" or define themselves that way. And yet the majority of people I know eat fruits and veggies. (My general circle may not be typical, who knows.)

Outside of MFP I don't think I've ever heard one person mention clean eating! I don't consider myself a clean eater, but I love the fact that there are people passionate about it.

So everyone yon know eats plenty of fruit and veg - good for you and all the people you know.

I've clearly met different people.

Ca you define (in percentage terms) 'numerous people?

Really?

Yes, seriously I haven't.

• tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

polyunsaturated fats are good for you.

Are they? it's a fat that goes rancid easily and is not stable at high temperatures! I think in the eighties it was lorded as a safe replacement to saturated fat.

That's back in the day when science and nutritional understanding was still pretty primitive. Science has now caught up (well catching) and guess what, that's right, turns out it was saturated fat that's was good for us and not the other way round..... who would have guessed!

In fact polyunsaturated is good to a degree - well only omega 3!

That's your premise for healthy or not? something that goes rancid easily and is not stable at higher temperatures?

Well in that case- I'm going to stop eating oranges and chicken.

1.) my orange I only consumed 2 slices of started molding within 2 days of cutting.
    and
    2.) my chicken breast exploded out of the microwave when I heated it up.

looks like my list of dietary restrictions just got more specific.
    :(

Did you eat your orange when it was moldy? - or did you chuck the moldy bit away!!

I'll be honest I've already dropped moldy orange from my diet!

That logic does not even follow the example.

Edited to fix effed up quotes.

???? what ?????

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

Really?

Are they? it's a fat that goes rancid easily and is not stable at high temperatures! I think in the eighties it was lorded as a safe replacement to saturated fat.

That's back in the day when science and nutritional understanding was still pretty primitive. Science has now caught up (well catching) and guess what, that's right, turns out it was saturated fat that's was good for us and not the other way round..... who would have guessed!

That's your premise for healthy or not? something that goes rancid easily and is not stable at higher temperatures?

1.) my orange I only consumed 2 slices of started molding within 2 days of cutting.
    and

Did you eat your orange when it was moldy? - or did you chuck the moldy bit away!!

???? what ?????

Really?

and

???? what ?????

What exactly are you asking?

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

Who is and how are they doing so?

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ffs..double quotes, double quotes errywhere!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    soldiergrl_101, I can't say I know the difference between the two. But I eliminated packaged foods, added lots of fruits/veggies, drank protein shakes (made w/almond milk) and lots of water. Added Quinoa for extra protein. I did this 3 months, lost 35 lbs. and my health was much better. I am no longer taking prescriptions for acid reflux and didn't have to start on medicine to lower my blood pressure. What I did wrong, was to slowly go back to the old habits and gained back part of the weight. Now, the arthritis has flared back up, so I am going back to clean eating! Hope this helps!

You make your own almond milk? And protein powder?

I doubt it....they probably just fit into her definition of "clean eating"
    So many different definitions

"Eliminated packaged foods" really leaves no room for interpretation. I'm just keepin' it real

Maybe she found a place that sells them without packaging

Isn't it hard to get things home if they aren't in packages? The liquids in particular seem like they might be problematic. And all that quinoa - do you just put it in your pockets?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    My co workers are big paleo diet eaters. Who eats a burger with no bread. They do.

Ask them how cavemen ground up the meat

Also, ask them how long it took to hunt down the cow.
    Actually, if they were doing real paleo, they wouldn't be eating cow. Because cows didn't exist. Aurochs did, but not cows.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So if Paleo claims no processing... how does this work?
    paleobread.com
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    soldiergrl_101, I can't say I know the difference between the two. But I eliminated packaged foods, added lots of fruits/veggies, drank protein shakes (made w/almond milk) and lots of water. Added Quinoa for extra protein. I did this 3 months, lost 35 lbs. and my health was much better. I am no longer taking prescriptions for acid reflux and didn't have to start on medicine to lower my blood pressure. What I did wrong, was to slowly go back to the old habits and gained back part of the weight. Now, the arthritis has flared back up, so I am going back to clean eating! Hope this helps!

You make your own almond milk? And protein powder?

I doubt it....they probably just fit into her definition of "clean eating"
    So many different definitions

"Eliminated packaged foods" really leaves no room for interpretation. I'm just keepin' it real

Maybe she found a place that sells them without packaging

Isn't it hard to get things home if they aren't in packages? The liquids in particular seem like they might be problematic. And all that quinoa - do you just put it in your pockets?
    Take your pants off, tie a knot in one leg, fill with quinoa. Next caller. . . .
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

Who is and how are they doing so?

Seriously, have you seen the first page. There was only about legitimate (non hijacking) posts on the whole page!!!!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

and

???? what ?????

Really?

and

???? what ?????

What exactly are you asking?

How my logic doesn't follow the example.

I was trying to confirm that in the example of the moldy orange, that the orange was consumed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the replies…

but I am in…because this should be fun ..

and OP - I say…neither..just eat in a deficit and enjoy the foods you like and you will do fine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Does anyone not eat veggies at all?

There are a surprising number of posts on MFP from people who claim to be unable to eat them. I've even seen posts from people who claim to "eat clean" who don't eat them. They seem to think that not eating bread or some such makes a diet healthy, even if it's vegetable-free.

Not my business, but I hope they at least take a multi.
    I've definitely seen a LOT of posters who claim to hate "all vegetables" and never eat them. And I've seen a lot of diaries with no vegetables, or fruits.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kikih64 wrote: »
    Eating clean is a *kitten*, and mildly derogatory term dubbed to make money
    Paleo is a diet plan based off fallacies of what paleolithic people ate in order to make money

They are just labels for people who like labels to feel better about themselves or other people.

I would counter that food not generally labled as "clean" - thinking fast food, highly processed boxed and canned food - make some people an awful lot more money than the clean camp. Food chains and medical bills come to mind....

Just saying.

OP - the general forums are a great place for bashing labels. To each their own. Find what makes you feel best. There are groups for paleo, primal, keto, whatever you might be interested in. They're a lot friendlier.

ahh yes the evil food overlords have enslaved us...
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I have not read all the replies…

but I am in…because this should be fun ..

and OP - I say…neither..just eat in a deficit and enjoy the foods you like and you will do fine.

^^^ OP if you skip the rest, read this.

You don't have to use a label and stick to a rigid diet.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I was just reading up on the Paleo diet haven't committed to anything yet still weighing my options. But reading it, it seems similar to eating clean, is it just a fancy name for the same thing? Has anyone had success using this diet

They are the same thing. Just reject both out of hand and do IIFYM. Much easier and way less hard. You're welcome.