Paleo vs Eatting clean?

Options

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If clean eating means making everything from scratch, there's no way you can use that as a guide to weight loss, sorry!

I managed to get very obese eating homemade pasta, bread, pizza, cake, jam etc, I even make things like wine and cheese (with varying success)...it goes on.

You can pronounce every ingredient in most of my food, but when I ate lots of foods that were high in simple ingredients like 'cream' or 'duck flesh', I gained weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    soldiergrl_101, I can't say I know the difference between the two. But I eliminated packaged foods, added lots of fruits/veggies, drank protein shakes (made w/almond milk) and lots of water. Added Quinoa for extra protein. I did this 3 months, lost 35 lbs. and my health was much better. I am no longer taking prescriptions for acid reflux and didn't have to start on medicine to lower my blood pressure. What I did wrong, was to slowly go back to the old habits and gained back part of the weight. Now, the arthritis has flared back up, so I am going back to clean eating! Hope this helps!

congratulations..you replaced high calorie foods with lower calories ones and figured out how to create a calorie deficit…

you could of just eat less packaged foods and you would of lost weight as well….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Unless you have a defined medical condition, like Crohn's or epilepsy or IBS (to a degree) or a very few other conditions, eating clean is meaningless and has no discernable fat loss or health benefits over a wider diet where foods are consumed in moderation.

Really?

I'm pretty sure its healthier to eat home prepared meals each day than mass produced microwavable ready meals!

I'm pretty sure If you did eat mass produced ready meals each day, your levels of inflammation and oxidation would be higher than if you ate home prepared food.

My reasoning behind this is you would definitely be eating increased amounts of Man made transfats, Interesterified Fats and polyunsaturated fats.

Do you have some science for all that hypothesizing and reasoning?

I think it came from "the journal of pretty much…"
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    Eating clean is a *kitten*, and mildly derogatory term dubbed to make money

I dare you to say that to someone whose life has literally been saved/turned around by eating a "clean" diet.

Define it...I'm sure your definition of "clean" will just be one of about a gazillion.

Personally, I just eat a well balanced and varied diet that happens to be rich in whole foods...but I'm not afraid of grains and legumes and I don't consider having a can of this or that to be "unclean."

I'm sure most folks' definitions would vary by some degree, yes (just as folks' definitions of low carb vary to some extent).
    I'm like you, I try to eat a well balanced diet that's built around nutrient dense whole foods, and includes very very limited fast food and packaged convenience foods. I limit the fast foods and convenience foods for two reasons: they aren't very nutritious, by and large, for the calories, and they no longer taste good to me after eating well prepared nutritious foods. I also limit added sugars because I find that they don't fit my healthstyle as a whole.

I DO believe that as a generalization foods that are prepared with nutrition rather than industry in mind are probably more healthy. And I know that they taste better too.
  • greenminimalist
    Options
    It's more like eating gluten-free.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

It would just be too easy if you could fit foods in you love while finding a calorie deficit/getting proper nutrition. I'll go back to my hole where I eat pints of ice cream topped with count chocula now...
    Proper nutrition... macro AND micro. Yup.

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    Eating clean is a *kitten*, and mildly derogatory term dubbed to make money

I dare you to say that to someone whose life has literally been saved/turned around by eating a "clean" diet.

OK no problem. Their life was not "saved" by a "clean" diet becasue "clean" doesnt mean Jack $%#$. They lost weight because they had a calorie deficit. They life may have been "saved" by losing weight but not because they ate some mythically "clean food".

Food is food. Get over it. No food is superior to other food is food for #*$& sake.

Also since everyone defines "clean" differently it is really a useless term

Can you please translate "#*$&" and "$%#$".

I do not speak that language and would like to experience your comment in full.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This thread is why....

m2vn4sl24zdw.gif

It would just be too easy if you could fit foods in you love while finding a calorie deficit/getting proper nutrition. I'll go back to my hole where I eat pints of ice cream topped with count chocula now...

is there a map to this hole…???

I'm in the south-east part

zldvxt82majh.jpg

hmmm I don't think that is close to TN ….LOL

I'm sure there'd be a willing tiny creature to guide you. My precioussss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Unless you have a defined medical condition, like Crohn's or epilepsy or IBS (to a degree) or a very few other conditions, eating clean is meaningless and has no discernable fat loss or health benefits over a wider diet where foods are consumed in moderation.

Really?

I'm pretty sure its healthier to eat home prepared meals each day than mass produced microwavable ready meals!

I'm pretty sure If you did eat mass produced ready meals each day, your levels of inflammation and oxidation would be higher than if you ate home prepared food.

My reasoning behind this is you would definitely be eating increased amounts of Man made transfats, Interesterified Fats and polyunsaturated fats.

So prove it. 'Pretty sure' doesn't cut it.

Also note the phrase 'in moderation'. I wouldn't recommend living on ready meals exclusively, but one or so a day isn't going to harm you.

No, but how untypical a day would it be to say have:

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Microwavable lunch of description
    Bag of crisps
    For dinner Chicken and a pre-made jar of sauce. Maybe some coated (seasoned) frozen potatoes.

I think that's not an untypical kind of day for a lot of people - Most of those things are mass produced.

Although I sure the companies producing them use only the finest ingredients and to hell with the profit margins!

Can you honestly say you do not 'personally' know anyone that barely eats a bit of fruit or veg! I know loads.

This was the original statement in the quote string that started all of this:

You've gone from a discussion of clean eating vs. a wide diet with all foods in moderation to a discussion comparing clean eating vs. only packaged/fast food and almost no veggies. You're shifting the goal posts wildly.

Straw man argument.

How is my post straw man? I was answering the post about eating a wide diet in moderation was unhealtier than eating a 'clean diet'.

If a lot of the items on your wider diet (like SAD) are mass produced (multi-ingredient) and you eat each of them in moderation, a majority of your food is still mass produced!

why did you put mass produced next to multi-ingredient?????

mass produced and one ingredient
    the incredible edible egg
    http://www.uspoultry.org/economic_data/

I put multi ingredient next to mass produced so people didn't say stuff like - Yeah but what about eggs and apples - their healthy and mass produced.

Although I doubt anyone would be that obvious. ;)

Maybe I've been around these forums too long. Although it is good to tussle with the trolls, from time to time! lol

*yawn* troll comment again.

Funny how everyone else is a troll, but I assume that you do not think you are.

I would recommend looking up the definition of troll.

Well I'm not the one hijacking a thread!

Who is and how are they doing so?

Seriously, have you seen the first page. There was only about legitimate (non hijacking) posts on the whole page!!!!

My response on the first page was quite relevant, and yet the OP doesn't seem to have been interested at all.

Perhaps I should be hurt.

I'm actually somewhat puzzled how people who claim to be so interested in "eating clean" or "doing paleo" don't seem to understand the issues with defining the first (my favorite are the "I want to eat clean, can anyone tell me what it is" posts) or what the second entails. I don't do paleo, but I at least am interested enough to have read about it and some of the arguments for it.

(Obviously there are plenty of people who do paleo and can define it and explain why they think it's worthwhile, but they don't seem the usual source of the posts like the OP's here on MFP.)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

would it surprise you to know I hit both of those things consistently on a daily basis?

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Really?

Also note the phrase 'in moderation'. I wouldn't recommend living on ready meals exclusively, but one or so a day isn't going to harm you.

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps
    For dinner Chicken and a pre-made jar of sauce. Maybe some coated (seasoned) frozen potatoes.

I think that's not an untypical kind of day for a lot of people - Most of those things are mass produced.

Although I sure the companies producing them use only the finest ingredients and to hell with the profit margins!

Can you honestly say you do not 'personally' know anyone that barely eats a bit of fruit or veg! I know loads.

You've gone from a discussion of clean eating vs. a wide diet with all foods in moderation to a discussion comparing clean eating vs. only packaged/fast food and almost no veggies. You're shifting the goal posts wildly.

Straw man argument.

How is my post straw man? I was answering the post about eating a wide diet in moderation was unhealtier than eating a 'clean diet'.

If a lot of the items on your wider diet (like SAD) are mass produced (multi-ingredient) and you eat each of them in moderation, a majority of your food is still mass produced!

And again, I can go out to the garden and pick some things that I can cook in freshly rendered lard and make a meal with far less nutrition than a Kashi frozen dinner. So what?

I would recommend cooking in freshly rendered lard its very good for you - packed full of saturated fat!

I suppose those if you cooked your Kashi dinner yourself from fresh ingredients and in saturated fats instead of polyunsaturated or trans fats, your home prepared meal would top the health scale.

What exactly do you have against processed food? And how exactly do you define processed in this instance? Kashi meals are pretty healthy. Frozen veggies are very healthy. Even if they have more than 5 different vegetables.

I've got nothing against processed food - I eat processed food.

Just because I am saying home cooked over processed means that I am advising people to avoid processed.

I am pointing out that processed does contain unhealthy fats, but eaten in moderation that's fine.

But for a lot of people (and I doubt those people frequent MFP) they do not have a diet moderate in processed food. They have diets of a wide variety of processed food.

The question should be, what do you have against home cooked food?

* multi ingrdient process food (not eggs or apples)

You seem to have a different definition of processed foods than the rest of us. I gave examples of processed foods containing multiple ingredients. None of my examples contained bad fats. Some of my home cooking, however, contains saturated fats, because I'm an omnivore.

Also, I don't recall a single person stating that home cooked meals should be excluded, so you might want to check your reading comprehension. Unless you're saying that by including processed foods, one automatically excludes home crooked foods. It can't possibly be some of both.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I have not read all the replies…

but I am in…because this should be fun ..

and OP - I say…neither..just eat in a deficit and enjoy the foods you like and you will do fine.

^^^ OP if you skip the rest, read this.

You don't have to use a label and stick to a rigid diet.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Does anyone not eat veggies at all?

There are a surprising number of posts on MFP from people who claim to be unable to eat them. I've even seen posts from people who claim to "eat clean" who don't eat them. They seem to think that not eating bread or some such makes a diet healthy, even if it's vegetable-free.

Not my business, but I hope they at least take a multi.
    I've definitely seen a LOT of posters who claim to hate "all vegetables" and never eat them. And I've seen a lot of diaries with no vegetables, or fruits.

I know at least two people who eat only potatoes and Corn as their veggies. Another only eats veggies that come as an ingredient or topping in his primarily fast food diet, although he does occasionally spring for a salad.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I manage to hit micros (3-4 servings of veggies, most of the time fruit as well) in addition to treats like Ice Cream & Poptarts, cookies etc nearly ever single day. It is more difficult when your calories are lower, however it is still doable.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

I put multi ingredient next to mass produced so people didn't say stuff like - Yeah but what about eggs and apples - their healthy and mass produced.

Maybe I've been around these forums too long. Although it is good to tussle with the trolls, from time to time! lol

Seriously, have you seen the first page. There was only about legitimate (non hijacking) posts on the whole page!!!!

hijacks thread and then complains about the hijacking of same thread..lolz...
  • shani_fitness
    Options
    Eating clean 90%, 10% "cheating", because were humans. beside Paleo is the "Cavemen" diet right? My take about this one is that if you would like to live as long as the cavemen used to live, go ahead and eat like them ...
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Only how the body reacts to trans fats, interesterified fats and polyunsaturated fat - surely you don't think man made trans fats are health ........ do you?

Do have proof that they aren't?
    Seriously Dude ....... really!

Anyway I'll bite, quick google search.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/3/562.full
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/06/060619133024.htm
    http://news.illinois.edu/news/09/0616transfat.html

Care to reciprocate?

This only relates to trans fats.

Can you explain the problem with PUFAs and interesterified fats? (a quick google brings up mercola, natural news and food babe)

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Really?

MacDonalds breakfast
    Cereal bar
    Bag of crisps

Straw man argument.

hijacks thread and then complains about the hijacking of same thread..lolz...

Sorry, you mean I hijacked your hijacking!

In case you didn't read the original OP:

I was just reading up on the Paleo diet haven't committed to anything yet still weighing my options. But reading it, it seems similar to eating clean, is it just a fancy name for the same thing? Has anyone had success using this diet

From the very first reply this thread was hijacked.

And subsequent posts after did not stay on track.

Very few (and certainly not for the FB) posts have addressed whether the diets are similar and non have addressed whether the diets are healthy, and only a minority in the number of post responses are from people who have tried either and are giving their feedback on them.

All that seems to have happened is its been hijacked by people sensitive to the fact both diets are named wrong (although that's just good marketing - someone has got very rich, high five to them) and that people eating clean are some how belittling every other fragile soul, who eats a ready meal or store bought bagel!

Why not stick to the OP's question. Oh that's right you haven't tried either of the diets so you are not really commenting from a position of experience (and I doubt good knowledge of them either).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

would it surprise you to know I hit both of those things consistently on a daily basis?
    Nope. But I don't think many folks in society do, or get anywhere close.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I was just reading up on the Paleo diet haven't committed to anything yet still weighing my options. But reading it, it seems similar to eating clean, is it just a fancy name for the same thing? Has anyone had success using this diet

Paleo/Primal, yeah, these could be fancy names for clean eating, but they don't imply others are "dirty".

I've had unbelievable success with Primal diet and exercise. Weight loss and maintenenace, improvement/resolution of chronic diseases, complete resolution of GI issues, ridiculous improvement in immune response (I haven't got sick in the years that I've been on it, and I used to get about 7 colds a year), way better energy, no afternoon or long drive brain fog/drowsiness.

And it has been super easy to maintain. Like I said, I've been on it for years without feeling cravings or a need to "cheat". Bc the food options are delicious.

Glad you conquer your medical issues.