Paleo vs Eatting clean?

Options

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    soldiergrl_101, I can't say I know the difference between the two. But I eliminated packaged foods, added lots of fruits/veggies, drank protein shakes (made w/almond milk) and lots of water. Added Quinoa for extra protein. I did this 3 months, lost 35 lbs. and my health was much better. I am no longer taking prescriptions for acid reflux and didn't have to start on medicine to lower my blood pressure. What I did wrong, was to slowly go back to the old habits and gained back part of the weight. Now, the arthritis has flared back up, so I am going back to clean eating! Hope this helps!

You make your own almond milk? And protein powder?

I doubt it....they probably just fit into her definition of "clean eating"
    So many different definitions

"Eliminated packaged foods" really leaves no room for interpretation. I'm just keepin' it real

Maybe she found a place that sells them without packaging
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most cavemen were vegan. Lacto-ovo at least. I dunno. YMMV.

Some were cannibals.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    soldiergrl_101, I can't say I know the difference between the two. But I eliminated packaged foods, added lots of fruits/veggies, drank protein shakes (made w/almond milk) and lots of water. Added Quinoa for extra protein. I did this 3 months, lost 35 lbs. and my health was much better. I am no longer taking prescriptions for acid reflux and didn't have to start on medicine to lower my blood pressure. What I did wrong, was to slowly go back to the old habits and gained back part of the weight. Now, the arthritis has flared back up, so I am going back to clean eating! Hope this helps!

You make your own almond milk? And protein powder?

I doubt it....they probably just fit into her definition of "clean eating"
    So many different definitions

"Eliminated packaged foods" really leaves no room for interpretation. I'm just keepin' it real

Maybe she found a place that sells them without packaging

Probably a giant processing facility, aka "farm to table"
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Does anyone not eat veggies at all?

There are a surprising number of posts on MFP from people who claim to be unable to eat them. I've even seen posts from people who claim to "eat clean" who don't eat them. They seem to think that not eating bread or some such makes a diet healthy, even if it's vegetable-free.

Not my business, but I hope they at least take a multi.

Notice how you see anti meat groups. Do you see any anti veggies groups?

Hmm. I love veggies, but this seems a possible marketing/trend diet bonanza.

Also, in theory, isn't "paleo" supposed to be against the products of agriculture, which would be the vast majority of the veggies eaten today.

Not from what I have read. i was just trying to see if someone eats no veggies and how their health is across a physical?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    kikih64 wrote: »
    Eating clean is a *kitten*, and mildly derogatory term dubbed to make money
    Paleo is a diet plan based off fallacies of what paleolithic people ate in order to make money

They are just labels for people who like labels to feel better about themselves or other people.

I would counter that food not generally labled as "clean" - thinking fast food, highly processed boxed and canned food - make some people an awful lot more money than the clean camp. Food chains and medical bills come to mind....

Just saying.

OP - the general forums are a great place for bashing labels. To each their own. Find what makes you feel best. There are groups for paleo, primal, keto, whatever you might be interested in. They're a lot friendlier.

I don't know how to search groups now, but maybe someone can direct you to some of the groups.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Unless you have a defined medical condition, like Crohn's or epilepsy or IBS (to a degree) or a very few other conditions, eating clean is meaningless and has no discernable fat loss or health benefits over a wider diet where foods are consumed in moderation.

Really?

I'm pretty sure its healthier to eat home prepared meals each day than mass produced microwavable ready meals!

I'm pretty sure If you did eat mass produced ready meals each day, your levels of inflammation and oxidation would be higher than if you ate home prepared food.

My reasoning behind this is you would definitely be eating increased amounts of Man made transfats, Interesterified Fats and polyunsaturated fats.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Does anyone not eat veggies at all?

There are a surprising number of posts on MFP from people who claim to be unable to eat them. I've even seen posts from people who claim to "eat clean" who don't eat them. They seem to think that not eating bread or some such makes a diet healthy, even if it's vegetable-free.

Not my business, but I hope they at least take a multi.

Notice how you see anti meat groups. Do you see any anti veggies groups?

Hmm. I love veggies, but this seems a possible marketing/trend diet bonanza.

Also, in theory, isn't "paleo" supposed to be against the products of agriculture, which would be the vast majority of the veggies eaten today.

Not from what I have read. i was just trying to see if someone eats no veggies and how their health is across a physical?

What do you mean not from what you have read?

The whole concept is that we are supposed to eat as man did through most of our existence, i.e., before agriculture. We are to emulate hunter-gatherers. That's why no grains, legumes, and dairy--the claim is that they were not eaten by humans in any significant amounts pre agriculture.

But, of course, the plants available pre agriculture weren't just whatever we can now buy from the grocery store that isn't grains. It's not even properly what one can get from local farms. It ought to be what one can gather locally--what would have grown wild. (Not that that's realistic, but you can still get some stuff wild. At the moment my diet would pretty much have to be meat-based, though.)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a defined medical condition, like Crohn's or epilepsy or IBS (to a degree) or a very few other conditions, eating clean is meaningless and has no discernable fat loss or health benefits over a wider diet where foods are consumed in moderation.

Really?

I'm pretty sure its healthier to eat home prepared meals each day than mass produced microwavable ready meals!

I'm pretty sure If you did eat mass produced ready meals each day, your levels of inflammation and oxidation would be higher than if you ate home prepared food.

My reasoning behind this is you would definitely be eating increased amounts of Man made transfats, Interesterified Fats and polyunsaturated fats.

Do you have some science for all that hypothesizing and reasoning?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Really?

polyunsaturated fats are good for you.
  • asdowe13
    Options

Really?

Because everyone who eats mass produced ready meals, eats them all day every day.
    no one could possibly eat these in moderation.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    plus- bacon.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most cavemen were vegan. Lacto-ovo at least. I dunno. YMMV.

Some were cannibals.

I hope that isn't the next fad diet :eek:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Only how the body reacts to trans fats, interesterified fats and polyunsaturated fat - surely you don't think man made trans fats are health ........ do you?
  • asdowe13
    Options
    Only how the body reacts to trans fats, interesterified fats and polyunsaturated fat - surely you don't think man made trans fats are health ........ do you?

Do have proof that they aren't?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Not necessarily. For example, I believe there's some brand of premade meals that Dean Ornish is involved with. I don't follow the Ornish plan at all, but I'd bet those meals lack all those things (okay, or have them in his own recommended amounts re polyunsaturated, come to think of it).

Also, of course, one can reject "clean eating" and yet still not eat pre made meals in any significant amount. It's called cooking.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Do have proof that they aren't?
    Seriously Dude ....... really!

Anyway I'll bite, quick google search.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/3/562.full
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/06/060619133024.htm
    http://news.illinois.edu/news/09/0616transfat.html

Care to reciprocate?
  • JoRocka
    Options

Not necessarily. For example, I believe there's some brand of premade meals that Dean Ornish is involved with. I don't follow the Ornish plan at all, but I'd bet those meals lack all those things (okay, or have them in his own recommended amounts re polyunsaturated, come to think of it).

Also, of course, one can reject "clean eating" and yet still not eat pre made meals in any significant amount. It's called cooking.

Get out of here with that type of logic and sense.

I am always amused by this subject (for many many reasons)... but ultiamtely I don't consider myself a "clean eater" but I cook for myself regularly - and I eat minimally when I go out (mostly steak and salads and veggies) but yet- I still eat all sorts of processed goodies as I do- peanut butter- bacon- eggs- flash frozen veggies- milk- orange juice from the store- and even GASP- ice cream- and frozen pizza's.

You can eat moderately in all things- not everything needs a label.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Really?

Because everyone who eats mass produced ready meals, eats them all day every day.
    no one could possibly eat these in moderation.

A lot of people eat on a budget and whats the cheapest food - commercially mass produced multi-ingredient food.

And because of how the law works, companies are allowed to include 0.5g per 100g of trans fats and still label their products trans fat free!

Now I'd have to double check but I think the WHO recommend consuming not more than about 2 - 3 grams a day of trans fats - not sure about you but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people eating more than that daily and not realizing it.

I doubt they will drop dead in the street tomorrow, but they may drop dead a few years sooner than they may of.

But at the end of the day no-ones asking you to eat a certain way - your an adult and have the ability to make that choice yourself!
  • tennisdude2004
    edited November 2014
    Options

Really?

polyunsaturated fats are good for you.

Are they? it's a fat that goes rancid easily and is not stable at high temperatures! I think in the eighties it was lorded as a safe replacement to saturated fat.

That's back in the day when science and nutritional understanding was still pretty primitive. Science has now caught up (well catching) and guess what, that's right, turns out it was saturated fat that's was good for us and not the other way round..... who would have guessed!

In fact polyunsaturated is good to a degree - well only omega 3!