Paleo vs Eatting clean?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Pie Label for :"home made pumpkin pie"

INGREDIENTS: Skim Milk, Cream, Sugar, Pumpkin, Pie Crust {Enriched Flour, Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oils), Sugar, Water, corn Startch, Salt Coconut Oil, Pasteurized Eggs, Corn syrup, Brown Sugar, Annatto [ Natural Color, Stabilizer [Celluolse Gum, Carob Bean Gum, Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Salt], Lemon Juice Concentrate, Cellulose Gum, Natural Flavors, Spices.

To me, that seems like a highly processed food item. "Not Clean"

When we make pumpkin pie at home the can we start with say this:

INGREDIENTS: Pumpkin

lulz.

The stabilizers and gums are just for processing, and equivalent to basically nothing. Besides, I've seen most of those gums for sale at hippy shops, because they're "healthful supplements", same with the dextrose.

So what's your boggle, citizen? Are you just seeing gums and a -trose and having a little freak out for the fun?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

What is this "homemade pumpkin pie"?

I've made pumpkin pie at home lots of times--I even sometimes start with the pumpkin only, not the can, although I recently learned the canned stuff mostly comes from my budget-deficit-plagued state, so please buy it!

Uh, anyway, my own homemade pumpkin pie has no label, but I'm pretty sure it's not paleo. No good pie is paleo. Whether it is "clean" or not depends on your particular definition of "clean." For example, it typically includes "added sugar"--which some people say is not clean by definition--but it also contains nothing from a fast food restaurant or boxed meals, which seems to be a lower standard that we are now discussing.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Also:
    Carrageenan

common ingredient in almond milk, which people who go on about "eating clean" seem to adore and not count as processed.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Eating clean is a *kitten*, and mildly derogatory term dubbed to make money

I dare you to say that to someone whose life has literally been saved/turned around by eating a "clean" diet.

Never met one of those people

I'm one of "those people" so you have now.

And I'm almost 100% sure you've met someone with an autoimmune disease like Crohn's or Celiac which must be managed through a specific diet. Even cancer patients are advised to eliminate foods that come in a box and stick to lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Maybe I am untypical because when I hear someone wanting to eat a healthier diet I don't instantly feel as though they have just walked across the room and slapped me in the face) because I choose to eat a less than optimal diet (that's not to say Clean diets are by the way ) but IMO a clean diet (and by clean I mean a better way than the standard western diet).

I don't think people here react negatively to someone wanting to eat a healthier diet. I am always encouraging of that. I think people react negatively to the term "clean" specifically, and also often disagree with the idea that a focus on eliminating foods is the best way to eat healthy or somehow healthier than how people who don't eliminate foods (but who know about and care about nutrition) eat.

There's nothing wring with disagreeing with eliminating food, just as there's nothing wrong
    disagreeing with restricting calories and having to force yourself to stop eating when you are still hungry.

The only difference is I would never go onto an IIFYM thread and tell people that they didn't need to stop eating when they are still hungry and that they should eat LCHF - that would be me hijacking a thread! And would make me a bigger ..... than I already am!

I personally don't like the term IIFYM - I think its incorrect and doesn't address micro nutrients - but again I wouldn't have the A & I to go onto an IIFYM thread and say that, especially if the OP has not requested an alternative view point on the subject.

Hey call me a non-jerk but that's just me!
  • lemurcat12
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There's nothing wring with disagreeing with eliminating food, just as there's nothing wrong
    disagreeing with restricting calories and having to force yourself to stop eating when you are still hungry.

I don't disagree with either. As I said before, I disagree with the claim that it is somehow inherently healthier to eliminate foods, that a diet that does that (though no one agrees on the foods) is somehow more nutritious than one that does not. That is a screwed up focus.

Obviously there can be good reasons to eliminate foods--either because they cause a bad reaction in you or are trigger foods (although I think people should work on the underlying issues) or because you find it an easier way to cut calories, for just a few reasons.

None of that means that there is such a thing as a "clean" diet or that "eating clean" is healthier than not "eating clean." And that is the topic under discussion.

Well, that and the difference between "eating clean" (which means nothing and therefore is simply an insult of others who presumably eat "unclean") and "paleo," which I'm practically the only one here to discuss at all.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »

I dare you to say that to someone whose life has literally been saved/turned around by eating a "clean" diet.

OK no problem. Their life was not "saved" by a "clean" diet becasue "clean" doesnt mean Jack $%#$. They lost weight because they had a calorie deficit. They life may have been "saved" by losing weight but not because they ate some mythically "clean food".

Food is food. Get over it. No food is superior to other food is food for #*$& sake.

Also since everyone defines "clean" differently it is really a useless term

Excuse me?

In January, I was rushed to the hospital for severe vomiting and diarrhea caused by my Crohn's disease. I was in supraventricular tachycardia and had a resting heart rate of 225 BPM. I was THIS close to going into cardiac arrest. I was severely dehydrated and consequently, my electrolytes were extremely low. My potassium and magnesium levels were also dangerously low. In case you are unaware, magnesium is needed for proper heart function.

Prior to this, I didn't follow a strict diet like I should have. After my stay in the ICU, I changed my diet significantly. I eliminated gluten, dairy, and most foods that come in a box. I added more veggies, fruit, lean meats, nuts, seeds, olive oil, etc.

My Crohn's is now in remission. So how DARE you say "their life was not saved by a clean diet and clean doesn't mean jack *kitten*."
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

And I'm almost 100% sure you've met someone with an autoimmune disease like Crohn's or Celiac which must be managed through a specific diet. Even cancer patients are advised to eliminate foods that come in a box and stick to lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc.

It's already been stated... but there is a difference between choosing to eat or avoid foods due to particular diseases rather than eating a "clean" diet for weight loss. I'm assuming OP falls into the bucket of wanting to lose weight, improve body composition and also does not mention any medical conditions that would indicate a need to do so.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

It's already been stated but a big difference between choosing to eat or avoid foods that due to particular diseases rather than eating a "clean" diet for weight loss. I'm assuming OP falls into the bucket of wanting to lose weight, improve body composition etc.

Yes, I'm very much aware. I was simply stating that for some, it is a life or death situation and MANY are ignorant to that.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    The only difference is I would never go onto an IIFYM thread and tell people that they didn't need to stop eating when they are still hungry and that they should eat LCHF - that would be me hijacking a thread!

Well, to be honest, I do both of those - it's just that my macros are 75/25/as-close-to-zero-as-I-can-get. And I feel like I eat tremendously "cleanly," except for maybe the diet soda.

Um, and the lowrey's microwave pork rinds. God, those are good.

And I really don't see anything wrong with a stick of pepperoni from time to time...

But other than THAT? TOTALLY clean. So there.
  • LolBroScience
    edited November 2014
    Options

It's already been stated but a big difference between choosing to eat or avoid foods that due to particular diseases rather than eating a "clean" diet for weight loss. I'm assuming OP falls into the bucket of wanting to lose weight, improve body composition etc.

Yes, I'm very much aware. I was simply stating that for some, it is a life or death situation and MANY are ignorant to that.

Then you should be aware that those individuals making those statements are more than likely under the same frame of mind and that they are excluding those with medical conditions.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    The only difference is I would never go onto an IIFYM thread and tell people that they didn't need to stop eating when they are still hungry and that they should eat LCHF - that would be me hijacking a thread!

Well, to be honest, I do both of those - it's just that my macros are 75/25/as-close-to-zero-as-I-can-get. And I feel like I eat tremendously "cleanly," except for maybe the diet soda.

Um, and the lowrey's microwave pork rinds. God, those are good.

And I really don't see anything wrong with a stick of pepperoni from time to time...

But other than THAT? TOTALLY clean. So there.

I love pork rinds - Microwave pork rind???? we don't have them
  • lemurcat12
    edited November 2014
    Options

Then you should be aware that those individuals making those statements are more than likely under the same frame of mind that they are excluding those with medical conditions.

Beyond that, I don't think of eliminating specific foods for medical reasons as "eating clean." What you eliminate depends on the medical issues. For example, I don't use penicillin since last time I did I ended up in the hospital due to a reaction to it. But I don't say I use "clean medicine" vs. others who use the filthy stuff. I simply avoid medicines that have a bad effect on me.

The issue with "clean" IMO is the assertion that certain foods are, by their very nature, "unclean." Even if that could be defended--and I don't see how, what's wrong with gluten if you have no sensitivity to it, after all?--we don't even have a clear list of foods to start the discussion with.

So my debate with you, if any, would not be that eating in a particular way can't be helpful, it's with your definition of "eating clean" as related to "eliminating foods that one has medical problems with."
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Then you should be aware that those individuals making those statements are more than likely under the same frame of mind that they are excluding those with medical conditions.

Beyond that, I don't think of eliminating specific foods for medical reasons as "eating clean." What you eliminate depends on the medical issues. For example, I don't use penicillin since last time I did I ended up in the hospital due to a reaction to it. But I don't say I use "clean medicine" vs. others who use the filthy stuff. I simply avoid medicines that have a bad effect on me.

The issue with "clean" IMO is the assertion that certain foods are, by their very nature, "unclean." Even if that could be defended--and I don't see how, what's wrong with gluten if you have no sensitivity to it, after all?--we don't even have a clear list of foods to start the discussion with.

So my debate with you, if any, would not be that eating in a particular way can't be helpful, it's with your definition of "eating clean" as related to "eliminating foods that one has medical problems with."

I have no definition of clean eating, there is nothing to debate.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Why not stick to the OP's question. Oh that's right you haven't tried either of the diets so you are not really commenting from a position of experience (and I doubt good knowledge of them either).

Why do you assume we haven't tried either way of eating?

For example, the usual complaint about "clean" eating is that it means nothing and in fact people who preen about eating "clean" usually eat like the rest of us in these discussions (including many of the same "processed" foods they just pretend are somehow not processed). You yourself jumped to a strawman about someone who eats McD's and then packaged pot pies and a hot dog with Twinkies every day (or some such, I forget the details) as if not eating "clean" meant not eating every meal from a box or a fast food restaurant. By that standard, I imagine all of us are "clean" eaters, yay us!

Therefore, my guess is that I've tried "clean" eating as much as anyone here.

As for paleo, I did try it, because I figured it might be an easy way to cut calories before I decided I enjoyed tracking and because it basically fits with my preferred way to eat (or so I thought) and my plan to cut calories that I ate mindlessly or without adequate enjoyment (in other words, adding rice to some meat and veggies or putting them in a sandwich almost never improves them to my specific taste). What I learned was that I missed dairy way more than I expected (and I've been eating lots of it since that experiment and feeling great), and that I found it pointless and annoying to go out of my way to avoid foods when I didn't have any particularly good reason for doing it, like an allergy or negative symptom from the foods (when I was doing it I couldn't find a soup at Pret without either grains or beans, but many of the soup options were otherwise good and would have been helpful to my goals to be able to eat, for example).

Also, I realized that since the foods in question were ones I didn't care that much about most of the time (I'd bet good money that overeating beans will never be a weight management issue for me), eliminating them served no point. So I shifted to a calorie focused approach (although I could stop tracking and keep to it, I think), although to a certain extent I do cut calories by not eating grains as much as I might and being more sparing re starchy carbs in general (although no way would I give up potatoes--that's why I never did a Whole30).

My response wasn't to you, it was clearly to ndj1979 - and I know from previous conversations he is not talking from a position of experience.

In regards to the example of a days food I gave, I pretty much ate like that last year - so I was drawing on my own experience and I do not think I am untypical.

Also there were no twinkies (they're not that big over here).

I'm not claiming to be a clean eater by the way - I'm just not overly sensitive about other people that do.

Maybe I am untypical because when I hear someone wanting to eat a healthier diet I don't instantly feel as though they have just walked across the room and slapped me in the face) because I choose to eat a less than optimal diet (that's not to say Clean diets are by the way ) but IMO a clean diet (and by clean I mean a better way than the standard western diet).

But couldn't you say that you eat a more nutritious diet (is that the term for more nutrient dense foods, less calorie laden ones?) than the standard western diet?

I am on a diabetic diet. It's new and I am still adapting. It doesn't seem as restrictive as some of these other diets, though, which surprises me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Unclear on my part. That was to FatFreeFrolic.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Unclear on my part. That was to FatFreeFrolic.

Touche, my bad!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

OK no problem. Their life was not "saved" by a "clean" diet becasue "clean" doesnt mean Jack $%#$. They lost weight because they had a calorie deficit. They life may have been "saved" by losing weight but not because they ate some mythically "clean food".

Food is food. Get over it. No food is superior to other food is food for #*$& sake.

Excuse me?

In January, I was rushed to the hospital for severe vomiting and diarrhea caused by my Crohn's disease. I was in supraventricular tachycardia and had a resting heart rate of 225 BPM. I was THIS close to going into cardiac arrest. I was severely dehydrated and consequently, my electrolytes were extremely low. My potassium and magnesium levels were also dangerously low. In case you are unaware, magnesium is needed for proper heart function.

Prior to this, I didn't follow a strict diet like I should have. After my stay in the ICU, I changed my diet significantly. I eliminated gluten, dairy, and most foods that come in a box. I added more veggies, fruit, lean meats, nuts, seeds, olive oil, etc.

My Crohn's is now in remission. So how DARE you say "their life was not saved by a clean diet and clean doesn't mean jack *kitten*."
    It is not "clean eating" that "saved" you. It is the elimination of gluten, dairy and most processed foods that "saved" you.

I know someone who has Crohn's disease. He too eliminated foods, but does not mean the rest of his diet is "clean." In this case he as well as you chose to eat more nutritious whole foods
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

INGREDIENTS: Skim Milk, Cream, Sugar, Pumpkin, Pie Crust {Enriched Flour, Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oils), Sugar, Water, corn Startch, Salt Coconut Oil, Pasteurized Eggs, Corn syrup, Brown Sugar, Annatto [ Natural Color, Stabilizer [Celluolse Gum, Carob Bean Gum, Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Salt], Lemon Juice Concentrate, Cellulose Gum, Natural Flavors, Spices.

To me, that seems like a highly processed food item. "Not Clean"

When we make pumpkin pie at home the can we start with say this:

INGREDIENTS: Pumpkin

When you make pumpkin pie at home, you are not federally required to list your ingredients in order of the amount present in the food (which is why pumpkin is the fourth item on the list), and you're comparing a can of pumpkin to an entire pie. Once you add in all the other ingredients to make the pie, the list for your pumpkin pie would be similar to that of a store-bought pie, not only in type but quantity.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Excuse me?

clean eating doesn't do that.

removing foods you have a medical reaction to =/= clean eating.

I'm not sure how you managed to put that together.... but regardless congrats on figuring out how to eat well- lose weight and not be sick.