If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    1409787963_1386690892_j2vzag_11xp8yo0.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    KAIJU!

ultraman_thriller.jpg
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Back to the original ? Why do we eat things if they make us feel bad later? There is a short term reward, they taste good and if they do make you feel bad it may be delayed enough you don't make a connection. There are plenty of things people do for short term rewards without thinking about the consequences. Can't resist temptation
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else, but "eating trash" hasn't made me sick.

Blood sugar, blood pressure, thyroid function, LDL cholesterol, etc are all where they should be, according to my doctor. I saw her back in August, so I'm not using old numbers here.

My blood pressure used to be high because I smoked, weighed 50 pounds more than I do now, I didn't drink nearly enough water and my stress levels were far higher.

I quit smoking, drank the damn water, started dealing with my stress, added in exercise, cut food portions and I'm right where I should be number-wise.

AND I'm continuing to lose weight.

But like everything else, this is anecdotal, and will summarily be rejected by people who've already made up their minds about "trash".

::shrug::
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat out of the trash, personally. But sometimes my dog does, and he rarely gets sick from it.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thank you loib642 for bringing the thread "back to the original." I woke this morning and saw some of the posts and my immediate thought was "I don't need this sh>%#!!!" so I am going to ignore most of the above.

I agree with you, short term reward, taste good, not thinking about consequences and can't resist temptation. I may add one more thing - necessity! :)

lemurcat you said [I"]I thought you were paleo, LeenaGee? Why a sausage roll? Wouldn't the main issue be the bread (which plenty of people eat without feeling bad)"[/i]

Yes lemurcat - I follow an 80/20 Primal/Paleo guideline and would normally discard all the pastry but I was starving and ate some of it - it tasted so good. Hey I am also Catholic and I think that is 51/49 at times. o:) I eat as close to nature as possible and try not to include wheat in my diet because I found my health improved so much once I stopped eating bread especially. I have been eating this way for perhaps 20 years, long before Paleo became the buzz word. To me it is just a guideline and some of the cookbooks are amazing.

So why did I eat a sausage roll? Convenience and necessity - Worked through lunch hour, appointment straight after work and then visits to two separate hospitals to see two close family members, one critical on life support and in intensive care.

My mind is on so many other issues at the moment and I really can not be bothered even thinking about, let alone replying to some of the other posts. The words ridiculous and childish come to mind and I won't even go into the issues of total lack of respect for the opinions of others.

And all this over a sausage roll - I knew that little bugger was trouble!! :)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    "Junk" food, as it's being categorized here, definitely doesn't make me sick.

However after having given it up in the past for a good while, I am very sensitive to how it makes me feel. I have no moral compunctions against it, in fact I quite enjoy the more snacky, nutritionally-lite foods, but if I eat too much, and too consistently, there is a world of difference in how my body feels and functions as opposed to more natural, close-to-the-earth stuff.

But typically I can eat a ton of it, in one sitting, and never feel "sick". I've read about how people have thrown up after eating too much ice cream, or cake, or candy, but that doesn't happen to me. I've eaten a damn half gallon of ice cream in one sitting before and that hasn't happened.

I'm also not one who's only very rarely experienced the sugar highs people talk about.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Back to the original ? Why do we eat things if they make us feel bad later? There is a short term reward, they taste good and if they do make you feel bad it may be delayed enough you don't make a connection. There are plenty of things people do for short term rewards without thinking about the consequences. Can't resist temptation

and it will never end...now we go back to the original question, back to the beginning, no roll, no end, no nada, forevah, round and round we go!

Napoleon-Dynamite-GIF-Forever-Alone.gif
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

and it will never end...now we go back to the original question, back to the beginning, no roll, no end, no nada, forevah, round and round we go!

Napoleon-Dynamite-GIF-Forever-Alone.gif

This is the thread that never ends?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »
    And it's not your fault, it's the way you've been programmed, we've all been programmed. You could go even further and not blame the food companies, after all, they're doing what every company wants to do, grow, expand, push up profits and pay the shareholders more but I won't go there, I'm already in enough trouble writing this and will die in flames :)

the way we've 'all' been programmed...? :confused:

I am guessing personal accountability has gone out the window. Simply I am shocked. I haven't been programmed to eat any way.

BTW, I eat fast food frequently, but my fast food is Chipotle and it's delicious. No one takes my Chipotle away.

Once I stopped labeling foods as good or bad and started to focus on what my real goals where, things were easier for me. I eat candy, i eat fast food, but in the end, i make sure I eat to my goals.

Yup, ^this...

...especially the Chipotle part.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    seitan is the only good food out there

and mashed potatoes

Noooo! Mashed potatoes are caaaaaarbs!!

And seitan is TEH EBIL GLUTEN

• LeenaGee
    Options
    haven't seen this movie yet but I am posting it now because it is only available for the weekend. I have to get to work so I am taking the risk that it will be relevant to the conversation. It is about staying healthy and reserving the planet for the future. It leans towards the paleo concept so please try and keep an open mind and I hope it will help people understand why so many people on this thread are against sugar and processed foods and are not only wanting to lose weight but want to stay healthy.
    http://origins.well.org/movie/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Who here is against being healthy?

That seems like a straw man.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    I was following another thread called "Sugar is the problem folks"
    Does anyone know what happened to it as it has disappeared.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    haven't seen this movie yet but I am posting it now because it is only available for the weekend. I have to get to work so I am taking the risk that it will be relevant to the conversation. It is about staying healthy and reserving the planet for the future. It leans towards the paleo concept so please try and keep an open mind and I hope it will help people understand why so many people on this thread are against sugar and processed foods and are not only wanting to lose weight but want to stay healthy.
    http://origins.well.org/movie/
    An acupuncturist makes a paleo movie....says we need to eat organic and sugar is toxic. Sounds like a fun movie.

• LeenaGee
    Options
    An acupuncturist makes a paleo movie....says we need to eat organic and sugar is toxic. Sounds like a fun movie.

Must admit Charlotte, even at my age, it is not my idea of a fun Saturday night. Not sure I will get to watch it either. But hey, someone might think it is their idea of a good time. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of watching something as silly as a good time, means someone is fairly sick mentally.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Well there goes my sanity status as I will try to watch it tonight if it is still available. Difficult to comment on something I haven't seen.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'll fess up. I indulged on potato chips at the bar on a recent cruise. Afterwards, I swear I could FEEL the fat from these chips inside my cheeks. It was like a chip hangover. I went beyond the mere instant gratification from having a few chips to well, almost overdosing. My logical, rational brain took a nap and my irrational animalistic lizard brain took over. Lizard brain wanted more chips.

My rational brain is back in charge and all is well in the world.